Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#451 Old 25th Jun 2019 at 11:18 PM
I recently had the (brilliant, I thought) idea of trying to apply normal and specular mapping to the terrain textures, so it would become possible to have things like asphalt with actual bumps in it, or tile with a slight gloss. Didn't really know where to go, but I did hear that the terrain shader may not support it (fully). Either way, if you're talking about another layer of detail, there's that.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#452 Old 5th Jul 2019 at 3:14 AM
@AGuyCalledPi

Don't know if that'll work as there's no option in CAW to attach any normal or specular mapping to the terrain textures.

There is an option to add normal mapping to the sidewalks, but it's only that.
Mad Poster
#453 Old 5th Jul 2019 at 3:24 AM
Wasn't even thinking of involving CAS in the process. Isn't it possible through S3PE to add new resources to an object and associate them through one of the files that assigns each resource to that object? Then again, terrain paints are not regular objects in the sense that pieces of furniture or clothing are, and they're in fact lesser than floors and wallpapers. I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't possible at all but what I'd certainly be interested to see either way is some sort of ground overlay object with specular and normal mapping, but a fully transparent surface. It might not be possible on a world scale but things like 3d grass already make it possible to add detail to the terrain on lots.

Either way, the terrain textures as they are seem rather lacking and I really think there ought to be a way to improve them.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Trainee Moderator
staff: trainee moderator
#454 Old 6th Jul 2019 at 11:19 AM
Holy... It's excellent! I really want to try it. It has been 4 years so I assume there might be at least a tester version or something available to download?
The text is too long to read, so I might have missed things.
Mad Poster
#455 Old 7th Jul 2019 at 8:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mrcnlbyrk
Holy... It's excellent! I really want to try it. It has been 4 years so I assume there might be at least a tester version or something available to download?
The text is too long to read, so I might have missed things.

It is amazing!

As far as I know there is no download available at this time.
We would all have it if there was! :D
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#456 Old 26th Sep 2019 at 10:49 AM
Thank you everyone for the nice comments and I'm sorry that I was so inactive all this time, but now I'm back and I should have more time

@Crowkeeper
Quote:
I love the floating islands. Have you used the tall "seaweed" from IP for it? Seems like a really cool idea.

Yes! I found them in SuperCAW and I tilted them upside down, they look great in big caves too

@daisylee
Quote:
Where are you going?

I was in Russia, in Siberia mainly

@jje1000, my plan for the unfinished bit is to add some forested areas with little to no buildings. The City doesn't really have any close forest that's big enough for people to hunt. Also I want something not too detailed to keep the world lighter. I really like your idea, it would look cool, but I don't think I could execute it well because that area is very steep and high, so if I make the sea go further inland I'd have to cut the mountain at a very high point, which would result in cliffs that would be too high, and the shape of the slope would look a bit unnatural I think. Thanks for the idea and the pics though, I love the photoshopped one, it's nice to see a picture where the island looks finished for the first time, even if it's not real

Quote:
Also, just curious- I wonder if World Machine can be used to generate a final "fine detail" paint layer for that final "oomph". If you want, I'd definitely like to experiment with it- it would have to happen once you finish sculpting everything though!

I don't know, have you tried it with other worlds? To be honest I'm not the biggest fan of World Machine painting when most of the world's paint is generated through it, but if it's just some details maybe it could look nice.

@AGuyCalledPi, if you find out more about this let us know!

@mrcnlbyrk, Daisylee is right, I haven't uploaded any version of the world so far. When I do I'll make sure to let everybody know

Find all my creations here:
My blog: Nilxis Designs // My Tumblr page: http://nilxis.tumblr.com
Theorist
#457 Old 26th Sep 2019 at 7:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nilxis
I haven't uploaded any version of the world so far. When I do I'll make sure to let everybody know

That's good to hear. But please, whatever you do, don't do the same thing as you did with Emporda and Barcelona, ie finalizing release while bugtesting is still ongoing. You remember what happened last time right?
That's all I ask, allow me and others to comb over it and spot these things.
Thanks, and good to have you back!

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Mad Poster
#458 Old 3rd Apr 2020 at 11:52 PM
Yes, I am gonna bump this. Are you stuck at home now I assume? Working on this again for some diversion? I hope all in your family have been spared from what is going on there. Things are bad here in the US also now, as in many places.

Please let us know how you are doing. I hope it is as well as can be for these times.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#459 Old 6th Apr 2020 at 3:36 AM Last edited by Nilxis : 6th Apr 2020 at 4:03 AM.
@tizerist, sorry for the super late reply The world will definitely be tested for as long as necessary, you can be sure about that. About Barcelona (Empordà was too long ago, I don't even remember ), the world could have been tested for longer, sure, you can never test too much, but I don't agree that bugtesting was still ongoing. I did release the world one first time, then you reported a major issue about using the world with the Traveler mod, I fixed it and I uploaded new versions. At that point the world had been tested for several weeks by different people (from MTS and other sites), and no other major issues had been reported, so I called it a final release. Then you reported another bug which was something I did on purpose knowing it was only a visual bug, the bridge thing, is that what you mean? I didn't think that was a major issue, I could have found a deco bridge or something to fix it and then release another version, but I didn't think it was worth it. When it comes to such big worlds, with versions in different languages, population, etc. it takes a lot of time to apply all these changes, make sure everything is okay, export, reupload... I can't be releasing new versions for every minor issue. Uranesia will be even more complicated than this, with all the challenge stuff, the intertwined families... Barcelona only included households with no relations, no jobs, nothing. I'll probably have to release a save file this time. So if after a long testing with no more major issues Uranesia is released and somebody finds a tree with its leaves partially inside a room through a wall, for example, I won't release a new version for that. So yes, I want to test it for as long as necessary to avoid these issues, but understand that I (and any tester) can always miss something that can come up later, when (in my opinion at least) it's too late (because it's a minor thing), and that I don't want to be working on the same project forever. There's such a thing as being fed up with your own world, even if you still love it lol.
I don't mean this like I'm attacking you, I swear, it's all cool! I just wanted to give my point of view, and I appreciate that you are concerned about the world .

@daisylee, Hi, thanks for your interest, Daisylee! I am quarantined indeed, but I also work from home. All my family is well fortunately, I hope yours (and everyone else's) is too! I do have more time to work on the world now though, and I am using it, but I have been working on it all this time too! (not very regularly though). I've shared some small updates on Tumblr, but I figured it was about time I posted here again too, and there's some things I hadn't posted on Tumblr. So... here we go:

NEW UPDATE!

Field Researcher
#460 Old 6th Apr 2020 at 4:33 AM
Your updates always leave me speechless. So I'm forcing myself to comment here

The new Monastery is outstanding! The way you worked the design to fit the landscape and the CFE'ed roof is a triumph, looks like it's always been there

The pops of colour you add to the world draw the eye in beautifully, add balance and interested as well. This world is an art work as well imo

The details with the sundial add to the gameplay immersion of the fantasy of Uranesia, what a wonderful addition

It looks like quarantine has helped your creativity and I hope it stays that way! Good luck to you and yours, take care and thanks for the awesome update, as always
Senior Moderator
staff: senior moderator
#461 Old 6th Apr 2020 at 10:08 AM
Wow it looks absolutely incredible! And the sundial is so clever and creative :D
Test Subject
#462 Old 6th Apr 2020 at 12:24 PM Last edited by FuruFuruu : 6th Apr 2020 at 1:07 PM.
Beautiful update Nilxis!!! I prodded you a litle when you proposed the landscape changes but boy, was I wrong, VERY wrong. Simsmidgen is right. This is art. From the landscape, to the working sundial, to the temples, it's amazing seeing the world in all its shining glory. And this is just a tasty taste. I can't wait until everyone sees the true depth of this creativity.

There are stories, there is lore, there is gameplay, and you guys will play a huge role.

Guys, I know it's been a while since he's updated but this guy is ALWAYS working on Uranesia and whipping me into gear. Even more, he's always thinking of you. It's so inspiring not just to see the beauty of this world unfolding, but to experience this man's dedication first hand.

Nilxis, I'm so proud of you, and your work ethic, and so proud to be a part of this project. Keeping up with you is a challenge, but it is a privilege. I just wanted to drop in and give my support. Keep doing the damn thing.
Top Secret Researcher
#463 Old 6th Apr 2020 at 3:15 PM
The monastery is insanely beautiful. And that sundial! I can't believe it's working. So amazing!
Mad Poster
#464 Old 7th Apr 2020 at 12:39 AM
I am so impressed with what I see and most important it is good to hear from you and that you and your family are doing as well as can be in confinement. This is all outstanding and totally WOW!!!! Love it!

Thank you so much for this update! The world need good things like this now.
Test Subject
#465 Old 8th Apr 2020 at 8:57 PM
found this while looking for something completely different. but i had to stop and say -- wow. this is beautiful, incredible.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#466 Old 10th Apr 2020 at 2:01 AM
Thank you all for stopping by and leaving these nice comments I'm happy you like the new additions!
@rainaelf, welcome!

I have to give credit to @FuruFuruu for all her help and dedication collaborating with me. You might not hear a lot from her on the forums/Tumblr but she's doing a lot of work alongside me to make this world the best it can be, with a lot of ideas, constructive criticism, lore discussion and being in charge of the population.

By the way, the way the Monastery of the Sun looks is not final. I'm still working on making the current terraced fields beside the temple more like gardens (without changing the structure), adding an altar and trying color suggestions on the interior proposed by Furuu. Hopefully I can post new updates soon!

Instructor
#467 Old 10th Apr 2020 at 11:28 PM
Update screenshots have left my mind blown, amazing work Nilxis.

Well that's what happens when you're on your own and you're alright at letting nice things go
Instructor
#468 Old 15th Apr 2020 at 12:19 AM
Absolutely amazing, and beautiful. I can not wait for the finished world, I love all the worlds you have made, this one though is breathtaking (kind of makes me want to be a sim to live in such a place). :D
Lab Assistant
#469 Old 25th May 2020 at 4:59 PM
Default just amazing!
Your changes are always so exciting. Your talent is beyond amazing. For a few years now I follow you and your many creations. I appreciate all that you do.Thank you so much once again.
Linda
Test Subject
#470 Old 25th May 2020 at 6:00 PM
So breathtakingly amazing, it's already the most detailed and amazing world ever! Really can't wait.
Somehow I keep remembering about Disney's Atlantis (2001) city temples..
Forum Resident
#471 Old 25th May 2020 at 10:42 PM
Default Stunned!
Gorgeous! The detail, colors, everything is gorgeous! That shot of the Sunset is awe inspiring! My Sim could wander in this world and never tire of it! Can't say that, so far, with the EA worlds! Incredible!!
Theorist
#472 Old 28th May 2020 at 11:53 AM
Love the domed roof! Fits in really well!

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#473 Old 3rd Jun 2020 at 6:14 PM
Thanks everyone for the nice comments
@Valgon57, I did take some inspiration from Disney's Atlantis, as some simmers suggested on the first pages of this thread, glad you can see it!

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#474 Old 10th Jul 2020 at 10:56 PM
NEW UPDATE

Hey everybody! I'm excited for this update because there's some important news I want to share . So, before I move on to the pictures, I want to explain everything in detail:

• I have finally finished sculpting and painting the terrain of the island. The coral reef is the only exception, but when it comes to the island this means that there is no longer an empty area like it always used to, so the world looks finished for the first time. I want to put a big emphasis on "looks" though, because it's still far from finished. Right now I'm revisiting some of the buildings, especially the interiors of the temples, and I'm also trying to reduce the total number of lots to improve performance. But after this I'll still have to build the last (few) new lots (especially in the "secret" areas), fix lot edges, apply routing paints and fix routing errors, add spawners, create/manage recolors and CC, test the world and fix general errors, change or delete stuff if necessary to make the world lighter and improve performance, and correct and polish other things I can't think of right now.

• Plus there's the world's population and everything related to it (sim creation, stories, careers...). @FuruFuruu has been working on that for a while, and now you can follow her on Tumblr too (@furufuro ) to see her work and updates. Make sure to check out her latest post here .

• Finally I want to talk about something very important in the creation of Uranesia: the challenge. I've mentioned it in different occasions but I've never really explained how it is going to work. For a long time it just wasn't developed, but together with @FuruFuruu and @cyberzombieprincess we've been doing a lot of discussion and planning and now we now more or less have an idea. First of all, as you know, Uranesia will not be a world for regular sims 3 gameplay . It has been entirely designed for playing in it through a challenge that will offer you the best experience guiding you through every spot and area of the island so you can get to know its inhabitants and their stories, and also the lore and the mysteries of the island.

This challenge will be centered around a story. I've been working on it with Furu and Cyber for months, and it's still not finished but we have come up with the main characters, events and the general progression. You will discover Uranesia through the eyes of a customizable native Uranesian sim character and their personal story, which is tied to personal stories of other characters and will feature the lore and the history of Uranesia and beyond. Playing the challenge will be an interactive way for us to tell this story and for you to learn it, exploring the island and completing quests. It will be somewhat similar to World Adventures, but more story-based instead of tomb-based. There will be tombs though.

Ideally, we would like to include as much of the challenge as possible within the game, like Uranesia was its own videogame, but we are limited by the Sims 3 engine and the game restrictions. For this reason, maybe we'll have to include some of the instructions and information about the quests and the stories outside of the game, on a web page (like the Midnight Sun Challenge, whose instructions are here on MTS). But we're studying the possibility of using/tweaking some mods so that we can keep as much as possible in the game (i e. the deep conversations mod, creating custom adventures for the WA adventure board, or increasing the 150 character limit of inscription plaques . So, if anybody has any useful information or wants to help out with this, it will be greatly appreciated!

This is all I wanted to explain about the challenge for now, and further details about the story, the protagonist and other characters will be revealed in the future. Now we would like to know your opinion!

• Will you be interested in playing the challenge?
• What do you think about the interactive story + exploring + quests format?
• How would you feel about playing this challenge if, because of the game's restrictions, the in-game part has to be combined with getting information from an external web page, and thus going back and forth between the game and this page throughout the challenge to get all the information and follow the story? You would still end up spending most of the time in-game, but we are afraid that taking players out of the game might disencourage some people.

Please, let us know what your thoughts are! And now, let's move on to the pictures:

That's all, this was one dense update! I hope to read your comments, especially about the news and the questions about the challange and the story

Mad Poster
#475 Old 11th Jul 2020 at 5:53 PM Last edited by jje1000 : 11th Jul 2020 at 7:09 PM.
Looks great! I am definitely interested in a narrative challenge (WA worlds) and/or utilizing the world as an restricted-but-open-ended challenge world (i.e. Midnight Island).

I think the needs for both will be a bit different- with general conditions/passive backstory guiding a challenge world, while a narrative world will require more in terms of active story-telling and quests.

I think the quests could be looked into in more detail. I think the majority of information should be conveyed in-game, with maybe a manual or website as supplementary information (i.e. as a guidebook with sketches like in Uncharted, and or a map).

Some things to consider:
- Will it be a savegame or a new world?
- What EPs+SPs will be utilized?
- How many days can you run it for using the normal TS3 simulation (and/or NRAAS)?
- You may need NRAAS to disable parts of TS3's simulation, and to keep sims in place if necessary.
- You will need NRAAS to control the NPCs and townies.
- If so, it might be better suited by disabling aging and basically making a world almost like a RPG world where the NPCs and world are static (to an extent), and your active sims are the ones causing the change.
- How much information can you convey in-game? I think Deep Conversations and custom WA quests are a great way of adding more RPG elements, though the modding aspect may need to be explored more.
- In TS3, there's one main RPG progression mechanic at the moment- keys and doors. What other ways of in-game progression are there?
- In TS3, the only hostile NPCs are zombies, vampires and mummies- will you utilize them?
- Are there any ways of modding TS3's game simulation mechanics to create more challenges/limiting conditions? (I.e. in another post-apocalyptic challenge, meteors were made to fall all the time)
- Can you block off some of the immersion-breaking parts of the game? I.e. no cellphone, limited build-buy?
- How will your sims earn money and/or items?
- Can the UI be made more immersive? It would be amazing if TSM's UI could be converted to TS3, but that's quite a lot of work.

Some mods that you might want to consider:
- Name mods- for generated townies
- Clothing blacklists- to prevent generated townies from being created with normal clothing. Possibly also mods to hide clothing in build-buy.
- NPC outfit editor- (https://modthesims.info/showthread....25#startcomment)
- NRAAS Storyprogression- to tune the world and limit parts of the simulation and townie generation + create the society (i.e. with castes)
- Build-buy mods- either to limit that area of the game, or to restrict the buyable items. I wonder if a build-buy lock could be carried over from the burglar/fire lock?
- Crafting mods- i.e. through the inventing table, sculpting station
- Mods to improve immersion in CaS and the stylist room, UI, etc.
Page 19 of 22