Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Turn off the TV when stop watching (from bed, too)

by Numenor Posted 15th Apr 2005 at 10:12 PM - Updated 12th Feb 2009 at 1:57 PM by Numenor : Updated game compatibility note

180 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 174 Feedback Posts, 5 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 2 of 8
Test Subject
#26 Old 16th Apr 2005 at 5:44 PM
Great Idea, too bad they can't lie in bed and watch tv though :P

anyway, thanks for the hack
Field Researcher
#27 Old 16th Apr 2005 at 6:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Schiff
Great Idea, too bad they can't lie in bed and watch tv though :P

anyway, thanks for the hack

what are you talking about? Sims can relax in bed AND watch TV while they are in bed. The TV has to be close enough to the bed, but it is possible.

I have had problems trying to turn the tv off from bed while the sim is watching it. It just falls out of the queue. Hopefully this fixes that?

I will check it out.

Ste
The Quiet One
retired moderator
#28 Old 16th Apr 2005 at 6:57 PM
Oh, thank you Numenor! I really needed this hack. My Sims always leave the TV on. Then when their energy is almost zero, they keep waking back up and get annoyed and I have to turn off the TV and that takes forever and a day and they're almost near death when they finally get comfy enough to sleep. Thank you, thank you!
Administrator of Loverat's Tea and Underpants
#29 Old 16th Apr 2005 at 7:04 PM
Thanks, Numenor. That's something that has bothered me many times. I often play with the sound off and don't even realize right away what keeps waking them up.
Beautiful Girl from Norway
#30 Old 16th Apr 2005 at 7:29 PM
Thanks that allways anoyed me
Test Subject
#31 Old 16th Apr 2005 at 10:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by blupditz
gee um i like the " healthy knowledge tidbit from Kato " bit
ok ur half correct yes it is a free trial and yes it nags u that u have the trial but ....after the 40 days u can still use all the functions of rar but it flashes up time to time about the trial period and 'please order the full version wah wah wah blah blah blah' so one just keeps using it for Free

soz 2 dis u kato

Um...sorry, but isn't that exactly what I said?

"Soz," you don't know how to spell anything,

-Kato

Notaboringsignature
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#32 Old 16th Apr 2005 at 10:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by syberspunk
I have had problems trying to turn the tv off from bed while the sim is watching it. It just falls out of the queue. Hopefully this fixes that?

You mean clicking on the TV and select "Turn off"? I didn't know: I always cancel the "Watch TV" command and they automatically turn off the TV.
Does the problem exists only with my patch installed?

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Test Subject
#33 Old 16th Apr 2005 at 10:45 PM
Hey Numenor (while your here):

Is it EP compatible?!

-Kato

EDIT: What the heck...I posted this after Numenor's post!
Lab Assistant
#34 Old 16th Apr 2005 at 11:30 PM
Thanks, this is great. I had stopped putting TVs in my bedrooms because of this.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#35 Old 17th Apr 2005 at 1:47 AM
Syberspunk:
I've tested this issue, and I had no problem with clicking on the TV (while the sim is relaxing in bed) and command to turn off; my command doesn't drop off the queue.
On the other hand, I had some problems with changing the channel: the sims sometimes turn the TV off, instead of changing the channel. Odd...
Systemic Anomaly
#36 Old 17th Apr 2005 at 4:53 AM
Is channel changing considered a subcommand or a new queued action? (or possibly both depending on context)?
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#37 Old 17th Apr 2005 at 9:14 AM
Changing the channel is considered a subcommand (a round icon appended to the round "Watch TV" icon, that in turn is appended to the square "Relax" icon). Usually, the game executes the subcommand and then shifts the round icons one position up. But in this case, the last appended icon (change channel) makes all the round icons disappear, including the "Watch TV" one; this means "Stop watch TV", and therefore the sim turns the TV off, while still relaxing in bed.
I have to run some tests, but if I remember well I always had problems with changing channel from bed, even before creating this patch: probably the original Maxis code is a bit buggy...
Test Subject
#38 Old 17th Apr 2005 at 10:55 PM
Please, please answer my question:

Is it EP compatible?

-Kato
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#39 Old 17th Apr 2005 at 11:53 PM
Yes, it's EP compatible. I myself have the EP installed and it works fine.
Field Researcher
#40 Old 18th Apr 2005 at 4:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
Syberspunk:
I've tested this issue, and I had no problem with clicking on the TV (while the sim is relaxing in bed) and command to turn off; my command doesn't drop off the queue.
On the other hand, I had some problems with changing the channel: the sims sometimes turn the TV off, instead of changing the channel. Odd...

I actually get the opposite problem. I queue up the turn the TV off command, while they are watching it, and instead of turning it off, they sometimes change the channel. I don't know if I have any hacks that might be causing my sim to ignore turning the TV off. But yes, I did mean that, while they are Relaxing on the bed, and watching TV, when I queue the Turn TV Off command (which shows up as a circular icon underneath the Watch TV icon, which in turn is underneath the Relax in Bed icon), the command often falls off the queue.

I tried queuing Turn TV Off multiple times and sometimes the sim will just stop watching TV, and then the Turn TV Off will queue up After the Relax in Bed. For this particular sim, I essentially have to cancel out of relaxing in order for him to actually turn the TV Off.

It could be that the bed or the TV is screwed up, or maybe the house? :confused:

I need to playtest it more, and I haven't had a chance yet to try out your hack and see if this fixes it. Hopefully I will have some time later this week.

Ste
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#41 Old 18th Apr 2005 at 9:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by syberspunk
...It could be that the bed or the TV is screwed up, or maybe the house? :confused:

No, the bed or the house are not to blame.
The BHAVs that are used when whatching TV from bed are quite complex (remember that watching TV is a subqueue of the main action, that is Relax), and a lot of data is checked continuously: the fun, the neatness of the sim, the laziness, if there are other sims watching...

The problem you describe is actualy the following: you order the sim to turn off; he doesn't do it promptly enough (he keeps watching TV, turning channels at will, as usual), until the "turn off" command timeouts and drops off the queue.
there's nothing we can do about it: sometimes the sims do what we ask immediately, sometimes they do what they want

Anyway, even in the worst cases, I've found that deleting the "Watch TV" command, or even the Relax command, makes them stop watching that damned TV

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
#42 Old 18th Apr 2005 at 12:38 PM
thanks so much, its nice to know that i am not the only annoyed at this.
Test Subject
#43 Old 18th Apr 2005 at 9:30 PM
Thank You!! This was one of the thing I really "hated" in the game. Because of that I never have bedrooms with TV and now I can :-)
#44 Old 18th Apr 2005 at 11:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by scarie_one
They cab watch tv while they're..uh pooing? lol I never knew that. I wish they could watch tv while they ran on the treadmill though. Awesome hack though. Those energy wasting sims tick me off!

There's a treadmill?! Where? I've been wanting to make a home gym
#45 Old 19th Apr 2005 at 1:21 AM
I am thrilled that somebody has finally done something like this it has bothered me since the days of the original Sims!
Field Researcher
#46 Old 19th Apr 2005 at 6:51 AM
No, the bed or the house are not to blame.
The BHAVs that are used when whatching TV from bed are quite complex (remember that watching TV is a subqueue of the main action, that is Relax), and a lot of data is checked continuously: the fun, the neatness of the sim, the laziness, if there are other sims watching...

The problem you describe is actualy the following: you order the sim to turn off; he doesn't do it promptly enough (he keeps watching TV, turning channels at will, as usual), until the "turn off" command timeouts and drops off the queue.
there's nothing we can do about it: sometimes the sims do what we ask immediately, sometimes they do what they want

Anyway, even in the worst cases, I've found that deleting the "Watch TV" command, or even the Relax command, makes them stop watching that damned TV

Hrmm... well. I don't mind that they stop watching. What I wish is that they would frickin Turn it OFF when I ask them to!!! That way, they can actually fall asleep when they try to go to sleep Well, I'm wishin' an hopin' and thinkin' that your hack will fix this finally at least.

Heheh. Ok, I'm gonna go test it out and see what happens.

Ste
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#47 Old 19th Apr 2005 at 7:26 AM
Yes please run your tests and if you have some problem to report, tell me exactly the queue command you ordered, so that I can replay it the same way. Thanks.
Lab Assistant
#48 Old 19th Apr 2005 at 8:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by aureatenova
There's a treadmill?! Where? I've been wanting to make a home gym

The treadmill is available in University. IF you have the expansion go to the Hobbies section and then click on the barbell icon.

My Sims always turn off the TV when they stop watching autonomously or whenever their fun level is full and they do watch TV from the bed while relaxing, they just can't watch when they're lounging on the couch for some reason. I wish they could watch while they're working out so I can use Numenor's wall mountable TVs in my gyms. That would be awesome, I love those TVs, they're so usefull to put in teens rooms.

"I am what I am. I am a yam."
Field Researcher
#49 Old 20th Apr 2005 at 6:32 AM Last edited by daysies : 20th Apr 2005 at 5:01 PM. Reason: snipped quote for length - Daysies
Yes please run your tests and if you have some problem to report, tell me exactly the queue command you ordered, so that I can replay it the same way. Thanks.

:wave:

Hey Numenor! I was just about to post about how great this works when...

I got a jump bug error. To confirm that it occurred, I went into debug mode and it popped up an error log.

I will attach it here and describe the scenario as follows:

Simply, I had my sim relaxing on a bed in front of TV. As I suspected, he got bored and decided to watch TV. His fun meter was pretty much filled and he actually turned off the TV!!! I thought, YAY! It WORKS!!!

But, I let it go and waited for a while. To my amusement, the sim continuously turned the TV on and off. He was still relaxing, and of course now and then would get bored, but since his meter was near full, it would max out and then he would turn the it off again. This went on repeatedly, until one point he just jumped off the bed and was standing next to it. I quit and went back in and tested this again, with debug mode on and hopefully the attached error log will shed some light on this.

Ste

:err: Apparently the error log is too huge. Rather than edit it, I will include it in a quote below:
Systemic Anomaly
#50 Old 20th Apr 2005 at 8:16 AM Last edited by jase439 : 20th Apr 2005 at 4:56 PM.
An attachment would be good here

I'm adding the log file as an attachment here, since the longevity of the aforementioned post is in question.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  tree_break_log.zip (22.0 KB, 20 downloads)
Page 2 of 8