Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

*Working* Magazine Rack [UPD 29 jan 2009]

by Numenor Posted 25th Jun 2008 at 11:47 PM - Updated 14th Mar 2009 at 8:49 PM by Numenor : Restored missing attachment

257 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 245 Feedback Posts, 11 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 8 of 11
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#176 Old 29th Oct 2008 at 10:28 AM
Default Update
29 OCT 2008 - UPDATE

Improvement: sims can read magazines at will, increasing their interest, without losing interest in other subjects
(thus getting rid of the annoyance reported by MagicMoon here)

Bugfix: a rare jump bug occurred when clicking on the racks (see Aelflaed's report here).

Thanks to Aelflaed for reporting the bug, and to MagicMoon for suggesting an improvement

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Field Researcher
#177 Old 29th Oct 2008 at 2:53 PM
Wow you did a total bypass of the interest limits so that it remains unnecessary to increase the pie menu? Very impressive! So theoretically, a Sim could max all interests? (Not that you would want to as that would be a very boring Sim).

I wanted you to know that this rack works wonderfully with Pescado's Macrotastics. Sims told to clean the house will use this magazine rack to store any magazines they find while doing their chores. I thought Macrotastics would ignore it like it does most custom objects or just put books away, but the 2 work great together.

I'm glad you fixed the bug too. I thought that the errors were my fault since I was trying to change some things in SimPE. I miss Inge's Sensible Study bookcase since it has never been updated for FT or AL, So I'm taking my copy of your magazine rack and adding some motives so I can have Sims study autonomously again. I wish there were more 'types' to advertise to though. Is there any way to advertise to interests or aspirations?

I noticed that in "Show pictures to youngster" and "Be Shown the Pictures" you advertised both fun and a category that SimPE has labeled 'unused'. Did filling in that 'unused' line allow you to advertise to outgoing Sims (type 0009 on the unused line) AND/OR serious Sims (type 0008 on the fun line)? If so, is it AND or OR? Since that line is unlabeled, what is it advertising? I also see in the magazine file 'read magazine' is advertised to type 0019. The chart I have stops at type 0016 so I was wondering where the info is located on motive types >16.

I searched both the tutorial sections and Google before asking here. I couldn't find anything that addresses the motive tab's 'type' info other than:

C:\Program Files\SimPE\Plugins\pjse.coder.plugin\PJSE_help\PieMenus.htm

(At the bottom of the page)

So if you know of a better chart or tutorial that addresses motives, I would appreciate you pointing me in the right direction.

Running: Sims2, Uni, NL, OFB, Pets, Seasons, BV, FT & AL. Patched.
#178 Old 29th Oct 2008 at 9:12 PM
Thanks, Numenor! I`ve been using your "old" magazine rack for a while now. Just curious if it is possible to have both in game. I`m guessing not.

This Space Intentionally Left Blank
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#179 Old 29th Oct 2008 at 10:15 PM
GeneralOD - You guessed right Besides, the "new" rack has the same filename (in addition to the same GUID)...

MagicMoon - I got rid of the code that decresed a random interest when the total interest was greater that a given limit; therefore, sims can now maximize all their interests (it would take a while...). BTW, I don't consider this "cheating"; after all, in real life, we can have a great interest in many subjects at the same time!

As for the advertise system, in the TTAB, there is no way (known to me) to set a "delta" advertisement for specific interests or aspirations. I'm quite sure that it is possible, on the other hand, change the advertisements via BHAV, and this allows implementing any possible check. Don't ask me how this works because I don't know; it's basically an intuition.
Regarding the "unused" line in the TTAB, I didn't write them: those values have been set by Maxis in the TTAB for the base-game bookcases, and I decided not to modify them. I think they are just useless. The same applies to the "0x19" type found in the Magazine: that value is contained in the original TTAB, and I didn't change it; I don't know if it's an error by Maxis side, or the 0x19 really means something. I don't know of a specific tutorial about motives and TTAB parameters; but maybe there is one -

The various advertisements are considered in an "OR" relationship; the interaction attracts a sim that is in need of fun OR in need of... "unused" (of course, the "unused" motive is unused, but if it was e.g. "hunger", the rack would attract a sim when he is either bored OR hungry).

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Alchemist
#180 Old 30th Oct 2008 at 1:43 AM
thanks for fixing that Numenor, I'll get the latest version.
#181 Old 30th Oct 2008 at 4:27 AM
Ah, Numenor, the file name matching would not be an issue to having both in the Downloads directory, as I use the downloaded archives` filenames [amongst other criteria] to subfolder Downloads, and as your archive has a different MTS2 ID number, the downloaded archive also has a different file name, thus your new magazine rack goes into a different folder, and I would have both in Downloads if I hadn`t already deleted the old one.

Now, I think I know what happens if it encounters two possibly different packages with matching GUIDs, but what does the game do if it finds two [or more] packages with the same name, but possibly different contents, in two different directories? If they have different GUIDs, I would think it would use both, and if they have matching GUIDs, use the one in the alphabeticaly-highest directory. Si? Nyet? If I am right, my game would have automagically used the new magazine rack, even if I hadn`t deleted the old. Do you know how multi-level subfoldering affects presidence?

The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#182 Old 31st Oct 2008 at 9:23 AM
If I remember well, in a multi-level Downloads folder, the game reads the single packages, first (i.e. the packages in the root), then the subfolders in alphabetical order; the same applies to the subfolders: packages first, then sub-subfolders in alphabetical order, etc.

Two different packages with identical filenames are considered different objects, and can co-exist in the game with no problem; the only piece of data used by the game to classify custom content is the GUID. Even if there are "rules of precedence", I see no reason why keeping two objects with the same GUID installed at the same time: if you are clever/lucky, the older one will be ignored; if you are unlucky, the new one will be ignored.

#183 Old 31st Oct 2008 at 9:02 PM
What triggered this question was you mentioning that the file still had the same name as part of why I couldn`t have both; since the archive has a different MTS2 ID, and I use the archive name, which contains the ID, as part of the directory structure, I can have both files, just not both objects.

Because of the way I subfolder, the precidence rules you outlined, and the way this site names downloaded archives, my system would have used the new version, unless the number of digits in the download`s ID number had increased, which they didn`t. As I had already deleted the old version before posting the question, this isn`t an issue, but I greatly appreciate the information. Thank you.

Field Researcher
#184 Old 5th Nov 2008 at 6:07 PM
What are these? I can't match them up to what I see in the game:

Your 'Ego' Unveiled
Shape Up!
Puzzles & Riddles
The Artist's Review

I've made the changes to make everything on the rack autonomous and am happy with the results. I know that there must be a way to copy the private tree table to the other rack, but I can't figure it out. I see 'extract' and 'clone' as options. Could you tell me how? I've been searching the SimPE site for an hour and am just going in circles. Thank you.

The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#185 Old 5th Nov 2008 at 6:40 PM Last edited by Numenor : 11th Nov 2008 at 9:22 AM.
'Extract' is what you need; extract the modified TTAB, then open the other package, right-click on the existing TTAB and choose 'Replace'. When the file selector open up, be sure to choose the ".simpe" file, NOT the XML!

As for the magazines, if I remember well, they are:
- Psychology book(AL)
- Fitness magazine (FT)
- (don't remember, lol! something related to logic, I guess) EDIT: it should be the "logic" book you can study when you gain the special bookcase as career prize in Seasons.
- Art magazine (FT)

EDIT: they are the special "Study... (Charisma, Body, Logic, Creativity)" interactions only available when you gain the special bookcase as career prize in Seasons.

Field Researcher
#186 Old 10th Nov 2008 at 10:47 PM
The only thing I changed was the TTAB, adding motives and enabling autonomy, but I have this irritating error. Whenever it occurs it "eats" one of the Custom written novels on the lot.

"Reference to tree table entry that does not exist".

The error occurred when the Sim tried to study Cleaning which she and other Sims have done numerous times before without problems.

If I caused this problem, I apologize for wasting your time.
Attachments Pending Approval
File Type: rar MagError.rar

The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#187 Old 11th Nov 2008 at 12:51 AM
I compared the values reported in your error log with my original packages, and I couldn't find anything wrong, but please read on:

- According to the log, when the error occurred the sim "Golden" was trying to perform the interaction "Read book.../Cuisine" (meaning the FreeTime cuisine magazine), and the game couldn't find it in the TTAB (but it *does* exist in my original package). But have you said that your sim was trying to read a custom novel?

- In any case, please double check *your* modified interaction 0x0E (14) "Read Book.../Cuisine", comparing it to my original one, to see if you didn't break something unkowingly.

- A test thet you can easily run is to save the game, direct your sim to perform the faulty animation and wait for the error; then exit without saving, replace your modified packages with my original ones, and restart the game; immediately direct the sim to perform the same interaction, and see if the error occurs or not.

If you want, I can check your package, too: sometimes, four eyes see better than two...

Field Researcher
#188 Old 11th Nov 2008 at 4:36 AM Last edited by Numenor : 11th Nov 2008 at 8:40 AM. Reason: Removed attachments
I looked and compared, yet cannot find anything I did wrong. I can't even force the error to happen! It *appears* to happen randomly. I clicked on everything in the rack without errors, yet this error occasionally occurs. Read book> cuisine is available and works fine when clicked on.

I wasn't saying that my Sim was trying to read a custom novel, rather each time this error occurs, a custom novel will disappear, never to be seen again. I had 4 custom novels that disappeared one by one from these errors. Since then, I have written 2 more novels so testing can continue, just in case having custom novels is part of the problem. (I don't think I had the error occur before having custom novels, but I'm not 100% sure)

I tried my best to solve this, so I will take you up on your kind offer to look over what I did.

ETA: The error is occuring on different books, but only when autonomous. Each time it deletes a novel. But I found out that if I leave the lot without saving, I will still have my novel.

The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#189 Old 11th Nov 2008 at 9:17 AM Last edited by Numenor : 11th Nov 2008 at 9:27 AM.
Thanks, I downloaded the files; I will look into them.

EDIT: my first, incomplete finding is that when the error occurs, your sim are trying to study something spontaneously, and they are supposed to have in their hand the standard "study" book; but they actually have the novel in their hand, instead. When the game tries to start the "Study" interaction using the novel (that does NOT have the Study interaction), the error occurs.

Now, I have to understand WHY the sims have the wrong book in their hand, and why this does NOT happen when the interaction in user-directed (not autonomous).

Field Researcher
#190 Old 11th Nov 2008 at 10:03 AM
I just got the error when I directed a Sim to study cooking. So the error can occur when user directed.

The log doesn't *appear* to be different from the others so I won't upload it unless you ask for it.

The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#191 Old 11th Nov 2008 at 1:52 PM
Yes, please, upload it. The last "frame" may be identical to the others, but the "history" of the previous BHAVs executed (and the parameters passed) is different.

PS: have you tried swapping the packages in the Downloads, after the error occurred?

Field Researcher
#192 Old 11th Nov 2008 at 8:53 PM Last edited by magicmoon : 11th Nov 2008 at 10:59 PM.
Had to get some sleep, but that is today's plan. I'm swapping them out now to see if I can still get the error.

ETA: The 2nd error is from your unmodified rack.
Attachments Pending Approval
File Type: rar UserDirected.rar
File Type: rar OrigError.rar

Lab Assistant
#193 Old 12th Nov 2008 at 2:16 AM
Wow! This is very useful and looks nice in livingroom as a great decor too. Thanks a lot :* Now my Simmies don't wanna read books. They just want to read new magazines and it's in polish, wow wow wow
Field Researcher
#194 Old 12th Nov 2008 at 9:46 AM Last edited by magicmoon : 12th Nov 2008 at 11:46 AM.
I just got that error on a regular bookcase, so there is probably something wrong with my game rather than the rack. I'm testing now to see if I can pinpoint what is causing it. I just wish the error was more consistent. It sure would be easier to find the cause.

ETA: Somehow the error seems connected to the Sim. The last time I saved was before Allen threw the error. On reloads, no matter which Sim I use, the error will only be thrown by Allen and will occur the very next time he tries to study.

This last error is after removing all custom content. This caused a reset and Allen was standing in the front yard instead of at work where I left him. Yet when I directed him to study, he still threw the error.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  NoCC.rar (15.0 KB, 3 downloads)

The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#195 Old 12th Nov 2008 at 3:19 PM
MagicMoon - Thanks for your useful reports. The thing becomes more and more strange every day, but here is what I think (I need you to confirm some circumstances).

Reading the game code (that I can modify, if needed, when I finally understand what's wrong), here is what it happens:

- The sim is directed (or autonomously decides) to study; the subject is irrelevant.

- The game scans the lot for existing novels; when one is found, the game checks the "relationship" between it and the sim, excluding the novels that have no relationship (or a weak relationship) with the sim. In other words, if I understand well, the game possibly checks if the sim is the author of the novel.

- If a valid novel (related to the sim) is found, then the game puts that novel in the sim's hand. If no valid novel is found, a standard book is created instead.

- The sim is then forced to perform one of the "Study" interaction from the book that he has in his hand: this is where the error occurs, because sometimes the sim has a standard book in his hand (that can be studies), but sometimes he has the novel, that can't be studied ("Reference to tree table entry that does not exist").

Question 1 - I see from the log that there are TWO novels in the lot; at least ONE of them has been written by Allen Hines? In your previous logs, the sim "Golden" was causing the errors; back then, did you have at least one novel written by Golden?

Question 2 - You say that the error is not consistent, but think of this: by chance, do Allen and Golden (and only them) always suffer from this error, and not the other sims? Or better: does the error only occurs when the "study" interaction is performed by a sim that has written a novel?

Field Researcher
#196 Old 12th Nov 2008 at 8:55 PM
Thank you so much for helping me work out this odd problem.

In the earliest logs, only Golden had written any novels and only she was getting the errors. The most recent novel was written by Allen Hines. Golden is not currently being affected by the error, only Allen Hines although she still has novels in the bookcase. For now, it appears that ONLY Sims who have written a novel are affected, but not ALWAYS affected. I will attempt to pinpoint it.

Just before I saved, Golden finished another novel. I will go back and see if she, Allen Hines, or both are getting the error now. I'll also check to see who, if any, gets the error when some novels are deleted. Several Sims have novels in progress, so I can do some experimenting now that I know what to look for.

Oh, when I say 'inconsistent'...I'm in the computer repair business and know that there is no such thing as random errors. I just mean that it appears inconsistent because I have been unable to find the pattern that causes the error to occur.

BTW, why would the game run a check to determine a Sim's relationship to a novel? I can't think of an example where the answer to the check would make a difference.

Field Researcher
#197 Old 12th Nov 2008 at 11:43 PM
An interesting find:

When I went back into my game there were 3 novels, all by Golden (I guess I lost Allen Hine's novel in testing). While testing I always exit without saving so that I'm always at the same starting point. I am using the Maxis Cinderblock bookcase for testing.

Allen Hines was determined that it was his turn to throw the error. No one else would error, but he would error the first time he tried to study. So I took note of which novel was being deleted. It was the same novel every time. So I had him read that novel and then study (He only needed to read long enough to open the book). To my surprise the error did not occur! I did 8 more reloads. Every time he read the novel first, no error occurred when he studied. But if he tried to study first, the error would occur. I made sure that the novel was back on the shelf and available to read before telling him to study each time.

I also tried having him read the other novels before trying to study, but the error still occurred. The only thing that stopped the error was having him read that one particular novel first.

If I bypass the error by reading the novel first, or if I let the error happen so that the novel gets deleted, the errors stop and none of the Sims error after that.

After the tests, I had Allen Hines read the novel so all 4 Sims living on the lot could study with without errors. Then I had a third Sim finish a novel and placed it in the bookcase and saved the game. But now I can't get any Sim to throw the error whether that last novel has been read or not.

My testing continues. I hope this helps.

The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#198 Old 13th Nov 2008 at 12:36 AM
I, too, have run a lot of tests, with multiple novels created by multiple sims, using your modified magazine rack and mine, sending sims to study or waiting for a spontaneous interaction, and I had not a single error. Though I still don't understand fully the BHAV that I've examined in my previous post, I can't help but notice that the game knows quite well whether it should put in the sim's hand a novel or a normal book, and never failed in my game.

I start to think that for an unknown reason that specific novel of yours had a temporary problem, that was fixed when your sim has read it.
FYI, in my test game, some novels have been read as soon as they were delivered, and some others have been put in the bookcase without ever reading them; and none of them caused any error...

At this point, please go on playing normally, and tell me if the error occurs again.

Field Researcher
#199 Old 13th Nov 2008 at 4:29 AM
I couldn't get any more errors after adding the last novel until I went to the neighborhood screen and then reentered the lot. Then everyone except the author of the latest novel threw an error.

There are 4 novels and 4 Sims. All novels were written by Golden except for "The Bomb". (Other novels were lost in early testing)

When directed to study, Golden and Donna throw an error which deletes "The Bomb". Allen throws an error which deletes "Who's Calling Now". The author of "The Bomb", which was the last novel written, is not throwing an error. This was consistent with each reload. (Four reloads for EACH Sim)

I told Allen to read "The Bomb" while I told Donna to study. "The bomb" was ripped right out of his hands, making him jump off the sofa. I did the same test on the other book, having Donna read "Who's Calling Now" while Allen tried to study, and that book was deleted from her hands causing a reset of the Sim.

If Allen reads "Who's Calling Now", he can study without errors. If Golden reads "The Bomb", she can study without errors. But Donna must read both of these books before she can study without errors. These actions are all consistent on each and every reload of the lot, from the same save position.

It DOES NOT help for the wrong Sim to read the wrong novel. If Allen reads "The Bomb" it helps no one. Golden and Donna will continue to have errors with this book. If Golden reads "The Bomb", her errors will cease but Donna's error will continue until she reads that book for herself.

I'm confused and somewhat disappointed that you are not getting similar results, especially since I am testing on a Maxis bookcase.

Since you do not get any errors, I will start a new hood without CC and run the tests again. If I cannot get the errors in a new hood, then I will assume that something was corrupt in this hood. Even though this hood is only 4 generations old, corruption is always possible.

The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#200 Old 13th Nov 2008 at 9:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by magicmoon
...since I am testing on a Maxis bookcase.

Right, you said in one of your earlier posts that you were making tests not only with my magazine rack, but also with standard bookcases; I've overlooked this condition, so far. You confirm my suspect that this is not a problem strictly related to my magazine rack, nor to the modifications you made to it; but it may be a general game bug, that could affect all the bookcases...

In this case, I can't solve it just modifying the rack (it will prevent the error only when using the rack, but won't fix it when using the bookcases); a global mod would be a more correct solution.

Question: when the error is about to occur, and the sim is extracting the book from the boocase/rack in order to study it, which book does the sim extract? The standard green one or the novel?

Page 8 of 11