Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Jan 2022 at 2:07 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Sims not ageing, seasons not progressing
Hey guys,

For some reason all my sims stopped ageing and the seasons are not moving, unless I do it manually. I am not sure but I suspect that the weather is staying the same as well, e.g no rain etc. No idea what could have caused this as I have not used any new mods recently, although I will remove some of the most recent ones just in case. I checked the weather mods I have and those don't seem to be set on anything else than the vanilla behaviour. Ageing is obviously on. I have no idea what is happening, does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 27th Jan 2022 at 3:20 AM
I'd start first with checking the hard drive on your computer to see if it's almost full as having a filled hard drive with not much free space can cause issues like that or the game failing to save as happend to me once on an old family computer before getting my first laptop.It's tiny hard drive got full awfully fast and we had a second one installed to add more storage.I've come close to that on my current computer and am about to buy another external hard drive to help with freeing more space on my computer.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 27th Jan 2022 at 7:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by TadOlson
I'd start first with checking the hard drive on your computer to see if it's almost full as having a filled hard drive with not much free space can cause issues like that or the game failing to save as happend to me once on an old family computer before getting my first laptop.It's tiny hard drive got full awfully fast and we had a second one installed to add more storage.I've come close to that on my current computer and am about to buy another external hard drive to help with freeing more space on my computer.

Thank you, my SSD is half empty so that shouldn't be the problem. I have however ruminated over this problem and realised two things: I added a mod by Phaenoh (SummerVacationWintersDay) fairly recently. None of the other mods seem to be related to weather, although I do realise it might not be obvious. I also adjusted sim height of many sims in SimPE (so maybe I messed something up? - low likelihood though). What I found out is that sims on certain lots age. The weather doesn't progress on any lots though. Will do more testing and update this post. Btw, weather is supposed to progress at midnight, correct?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 27th Jan 2022 at 10:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by UnfocusedBunny
Thank you, my SSD is half empty so that shouldn't be the problem. I have however ruminated over this problem and realised two things: I added a mod by Phaenoh (SummerVacationWintersDay) fairly recently. None of the other mods seem to be related to weather, although I do realise it might not be obvious. I also adjusted sim height of many sims in SimPE (so maybe I messed something up? - low likelihood though). What I found out is that sims on certain lots age. The weather doesn't progress on any lots though. Will do more testing and update this post. Btw, weather is supposed to progress at midnight, correct?

The season can change at random times, sometimes middle of the night other times in the morning.

Also, check that your antivirus can't look at sims 2 files. It can do some odd things to it if it's allowed to poke its nose in.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 28th Jan 2022 at 8:05 AM Last edited by UnfocusedBunny : 28th Jan 2022 at 8:50 AM. Reason: Update
Hey again,

I am at the end of my rope . What I found out is that some sims are in fact aging, while others aren’t (based on household). Weather is not progressing at all in any households. I have no idea what could have caused this. @joandsarah77 I actually don’t have any antivirus installed besides whatever comes with windows 10 as I plan on a bootcamped MacBook Pro and do not use internet on the windows partition. I think my saves are fine from that aspect. Everything seems completely normal, no other glitches/corruption. I’ve been taking all the precautions. I need to trace back to which save does not have this bug though the idea of losing 2 months of progress is not so pleasant . Another question about SimPE, I found the weather information attached to lots, but it seems as though there’s nothing that can be changed with SimPE, am I right?

Also, something I did last month was finally go over many of my sims and change their heights permanently through SimPE according to the tutorial here at MTS. Could this be it..? Somehow?? Thanks again!

Upon further testing of previous saves: aging and season progression happens the first time - the first 24 sim hour window and never again. What is this!!!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 28th Jan 2022 at 9:27 AM
1) If you move out the borked household to a new lot do they age etc on this lot?

2)What if you make a fresh folder? Right-click the sims 2 folder, select rename and add word to the end of it and run the game. Make a test sim, do they age etc normally in this vanilla folder?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#7 Old 28th Jan 2022 at 11:25 AM
Did you try without CC/mods, and if so, were there any changes? Could be a conflict somewhere, and on occasion it takes a while before you notice something wrong.

If you're using Windows 10, make sure there's no trace of OneDrive in the path to the Documents folder where your game is saved, and that if there is an active OneDrive folder that's synchronizing to the Documents folder, turn it off. OneDrive can in some cases mess with game saving due to the synchronizing process, unless set up properly.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 28th Jan 2022 at 8:44 PM
I've got a link for your game if lot timing is glitching out as it happened to me once in a vey old game.It can start with the game clock skipping over time and cause events to stop progressing as they should.It's found HERE and I've downloaded it to use for my game.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 28th Jan 2022 at 10:08 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 29th Jan 2022 at 2:30 PM.
^ Just wondering if resetting the clock to for instance 9:00 AM (or times of day that doesn't mess with aging/school/work/etc., or just back to the previous full hour) would do the same trick, without the mod.

In my old game I rarely played with weather or let my sims grow older, but noticed from time to time that some controllers would misbehave a little bit, but it never lasted long. I often reset the clock, so maybe that helped (I perma-save story lots with a reset time at around 9 AM on the first Monday, because this avoids a few game behaviors I don't want while still having them available if I ever need them, and they stay at roughly that time "forever", even after I go in and make changes. If more than a few hours pass, I reset back to 9 AM).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 29th Jan 2022 at 8:17 AM
Thank you everyone. In the end it was a problem with one of Lazy Duchess' mods - I spent half a day yesterday doing the 50/50 method XD. I am not sure which mod out of these it is but here are the main suspects: Relativity mod or Mod Setup. (Is upset it is the relativity mod as that is the new one). Luckily I installed it but I don't really need it. The mild annoyance that remains is all the lots I have played since I got this mod have been affected and so far the only thing that is working on fixing the issue is moving the families out. Many of these families live in temporary apartment housing so might just track the seasons and ageing manually until they move out. I will also try reseting the time on the lot to 9 AM, that would be a much easier fix! Thank you everyone for help I suppose I should let Lazy Duchess know.

Update: Interestingly enough, the mod is no longer live on Lazy Duchess' website...? Only on reblogged tumblrs . Ok so its clear then