Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Jun 2021 at 5:48 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Sims 2 University won't start
Hi,
As per the rules...
[infobutton]
Basic information
Is my game working? Yes
Does my game not work as it should? ?
Are there errors, jumping sims, or are things acting strangely? No
Does my game crash on loading? No
Does my game not load at all? No
Do lots sit forever on the loading screen? No
Does my game crash while loading lots? No
Any other general game problem, glitch, error, or weirdness? Yes
Is my Game cracked? No

Custom Content
Is my problem related to custom content? ?
Do I need to know how to download or install custom content? No
Does some, all, or none of my custom content show up? Yes
Do I need to know how to use zip or rar files? No
Do I want to organize my content or clean out my downloads? No
Do I need to find bad or unwanted custom content? No

Installing/Uninstalling
Am I having a problem with installing No
Am I having a problem with uninstalling? No
Has a problem just come up since I’ve installed a new expansion? Yes
Am I looking for info or having trouble installing patches? No

Cheats
Am I looking for a particular cheat for the game? No
Do I need to know how to turn objects on an angle or 45 degrees? No

Creating
Am I trying to create something? No
Do I want to make or modify clothing, hair, makeup, accessories, sims, walls, floors, hacks, objects, or lots? No
Do I want tips, instructions, and tutorials to help me make custom content? No
Do I want feedback on my creations so I can make sure it's perfect before I upload? No
Do I need to know MTS's standards and guidelines for uploads? No
Do I need to know how to upload to MTS? No
Am I ready to upload my creations to MTS? No

System Specifications
OS am I running W7 Home Premium
Processor and speed Intel Core i5-2430 CPU@ 2.40 Ghz
RAM 6.00 GB
Graphic card (Laptop)
[/infobutton]

Circumstances

Exactly what is happening?
I backed up my entire Sims 2 folder before installing University and after successfully completing the installation, I was instructed to load disk #1 and then selected the Launch University radio button from the selections but nothing happened. Tried several times to get it to run but it would not launch.

Removed the University disk and inserted the previous game disk which was Mansion and Garden Stuff and the game started but there were issues.
Received the Custom Content message that CC was disabled so I enabled it (always is enabled so this was puzzling) and then received the message that there was no neighborhood associated with Mansion and Garden (?) but the University button at the top of the neighborhood view was no longer grayed out. This along with different music led me to believe that University had installed despite the obvious message of a successful installation. Then a similar un-associated neighborhood message came up when I clicked on the University button. This I expected.

CC in my game is missing as are skins and for the missing CC objects, there are other items from the house that have been duplicated and placed in the position of the CC missing object.

What have I done?
Followed the instruction at the Game Problem FAQ to test without CC - still won't run with University
Followed the instruction to test without User data files - still won't run

Shouldn't University have started the game and shouldn't that be the disk used from now on to play the game?

(couldn't get the infobutton tagging thing to work.)

Mike
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 11th Jun 2021 at 9:02 PM
The Sims 2 runs using the latest Expansion or Stuff pack executable. In your case, it is Mansion & Garden Stuff, which is the latest (and last) Sims 2 pack. Contrary to that, University is the very first Sims 2 pack. That's just how it works.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 11th Jun 2021 at 9:33 PM
That's all pretty normal. Installing a new EP turns off CC and you have to reenable it with the dialog, and then you have to restart the game for that setting to actually take effect, so if you just go and load the neighborhood from there you're loading it without CC.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 12th Jun 2021 at 4:29 AM
If you could just state what exactly is wrong rather than a lot of text stating what is okay, would really help us help you.
Not sure what rules you read, but it isn't asking you to list all of that.

Your game runs off the latest Disk -that does not mean latest installed but latest made. M&G came out last, it was the last disk made and what your game will run off.

Now in 2021 most people run the game off the 4 GB patch because sims 2 is an old game and if your pc is new it may not run it properly off the disks.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 12th Jun 2021 at 11:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
If you could just state what exactly is wrong rather than a lot of text stating what is okay, would really help us help you.
Not sure what rules you read, but it isn't asking you to list all of that.

Your game runs off the latest Disk -that does not mean latest installed but latest made. M&G came out last, it was the last disk made and what your game will run off.

Now in 2021 most people run the game off the 4 GB patch because sims 2 is an old game and if your pc is new it may not run it properly off the disks.

Joandsarah,
So if I load two new packs, Bon Voyage and Apartment Life, I would still run the game with M&G?
I run the game on a dedicated W7 laptop. The only downside is I have no internet access on it.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6 Old 12th Jun 2021 at 11:35 AM
I think it was this page they are referring to:
Game Help:Before Posting a Help Questionwiki

@redvan22 Yes, the newest expansion is the one you run from- I mean the newest that EA published- and that is M&G stuff.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 12th Jun 2021 at 12:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by redvan22
Joandsarah,
So if I load two new packs, Bon Voyage and Apartment Life, I would still run the game with M&G?
I run the game on a dedicated W7 laptop. The only downside is I have no internet access on it.

Yes, AL came out before M&G and M&G was a cross between an Ep and a stuff pack but like an EP it changed the game engine.

Well you can always download things to a stick and move it across.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~