Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Feb 2010 at 3:28 PM
Default Writing royalties after death?
Is there any way of continuing to get book royalties after the author's death?
Surely that money should continue going to the family.

JK Rowling's kids would be pissed if they found out they weren't going to get Harry Potter checks.

... how can I keep my author alive longer if the royalties die with them?
They've completed the marathon runner challenge, does that add much?
Can I change their lifespan to a longer one?
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 7th Feb 2010 at 3:33 PM
if you want your sim to live longer, go under game setting and change the life span slider to either long or epic.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th Feb 2010 at 3:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kyaazoi
if you want your sim to live longer, go under game setting and change the life span slider to either long or epic.

Is that for all sims?

I just hate the fact that royalties stop coming. I just want this sim to keep living so all her work isn't lost.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 7th Feb 2010 at 3:56 PM
Ambrosia?
Instructor
#5 Old 7th Feb 2010 at 4:30 PM
Ambrosia/lifefruit are the only way to keep them alive indefinitely while allowing the rest of the people to age normally. To increase their lifespan through alternate means, you can complete the jogging skill challenge and give them the vegetarian trait. I think that what both of those do is decrease the odds of the sim dying each day after reaching the end of the elder lifespan bar. So, if you're extremely unlucky, your sim could still get a bad "roll" and die early. So those two aren't as good of a method as ambrosia or lifefruit.
If they die and are resurrected as a playable ghost before the next royalty check arrives, will they continue to get royalties? This is just an idea, I have no idea if it would work or not as I never resurrect my ghosts.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 7th Feb 2010 at 6:08 PM
Don't royalties expire after a few weeks anyway? They did for one my sims she stopped getting them after few weeks for her first books she wrote.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 7th Feb 2010 at 6:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosewind
Don't royalties expire after a few weeks anyway? They did for one my sims she stopped getting them after few weeks for her first books she wrote.

They expire after 6 weeks, but I still hate the idea of families missing out on cash they should be entitled too.

(Although, it is the third generation and they're super wealthy - I would just be buying an awesome car or two)
Field Researcher
#8 Old 8th Feb 2010 at 2:27 AM
I agree. I never understood why royalties would go away like that especially if your Sim has family (spouse, kids, etc...) still living. Really stupid.
Test Subject
#9 Old 30th Jun 2020 at 6:10 PM
Death and taxes
Quote: Originally posted by Cookieflower
Is there any way of continuing to get book royalties after the author's death?
Surely that money should continue going to the family.

JK Rowling's kids would be pissed if they found out they weren't going to get Harry Potter checks.

... how can I keep my author alive longer if the royalties die with them?
They've completed the marathon runner challenge, does that add much?
Can I change their lifespan to a longer one?

So this very thing happened to me and it was devastating. This was my very first sim and I didn't get to do everything I wanted, including the wedding I was about to have. When the tombstone gave me the option, I had my partner pray to keep me around. I was reborn as a ghost, and the day I came back, I started getting royalties again for all my books, and I can still make more to increase the profit. The only (small and very mild inconvenience) was that I had to start my career all over again, which is a very small price to pay considering all of my previous stats were restored along with my royalties. Hope that helps!!
****** =^.~= ******
Staff - Moderator
staff: moderator
#10 Old 30th Jun 2020 at 10:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MissusKitty
So this very thing happened to me and it was devastating. This was my very first sim and I didn't get to do everything I wanted, including the wedding I was about to have. When the tombstone gave me the option, I had my partner pray to keep me around. I was reborn as a ghost, and the day I came back, I started getting royalties again for all my books, and I can still make more to increase the profit. The only (small and very mild inconvenience) was that I had to start my career all over again, which is a very small price to pay considering all of my previous stats were restored along with my royalties. Hope that helps!!
****** =^.~= ******

Please check dates when posting in forums. You replied to a thread from 2010.