Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Give Me Some Talent

by FDSims4Mods Posted 19th Sep 2021 at 12:19 AM - Updated 23rd Mar 2024 at 8:34 PM by FDSims4Mods

101 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 82 Feedback Posts, 18 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 2 of 5
Test Subject
#26 Old 20th Sep 2021 at 8:27 PM
So... in one day it has become an essential mod for my gameplay. My sims are a lot more unique this way. Thanks again!!
Test Subject
#27 Old 20th Sep 2021 at 9:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by FDSims4Mods

When I corrected last bug you report I made a typo that broken the mental skill control.
Now, I fixed that ( and maybe not broken another thing when doing that...)

Thank you s much, it works great now!
Test Subject
#28 Old 20th Sep 2021 at 11:51 PM
I don't know if it is intended or not, but after installing the mod I started on my savegame with a child and a toddler in the household, and they learnt the skills EXTREMLY slow... it is technically impossible for them to get a high level on short lifespan...
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#29 Old 21st Sep 2021 at 2:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Crackz
I don't know if it is intended or not, but after installing the mod I started on my savegame with a child and a toddler in the household, and they learnt the skills EXTREMLY slow... it is technically impossible for them to get a high level on short lifespan...

Yes, it is intended. The idea is to make growing up a kid (or a toddler) with a superior level in all skills challenging. Having a child with a superior level in all skills should be a rare situation, as is having one with an insufficient level in all skills.
I forgot to include an explanation about it in the mod description (now, it's included).
When playing with the short lifespan, it could be really challenging to reach level 9-10 in a child skill. This makes sense to me since the short lifespan is a kind of a "hard level" mode. Anyway, it will not be difficult to reach the level 3 (the level where they get the adequate status). So, even when playing with a short lifespan, most children will have an adequate skill level when growing up.
If you want, I can create a version of the mod where this challenging feature is off.
Forum Resident
#30 Old 21st Sep 2021 at 7:36 AM Last edited by Amber Lokisdotter : 21st Sep 2021 at 9:47 AM.
I was just coming here again to thank you for fixing the UI Cheats bug so quickly (it works now!), but was also going to comment on how slooooowly my toddlers now learn skills. My newly aged up toddler has, of course, the "insufficient" trait for the various Thinking, Imagination, Movement, and Communication skills, and I was wondering if it was kind of feeding on itself. In other words, as they go up in skill levels, does the speed of their skill gain increase, as it goes from insufficient, to adequate, to superior? If so, that's the opposite, really, of what it should be; skills normally take longer for a Sim to skill up when you start hitting levels 8 and 9, but at levels 1-3 it can go up fairly quickly. That's without this mod, of course.

I'm not sure, but I think that I'm kind of liking it. The last few households I played, the toddlers skilled up so quickly it seemed that I blinked, and they were maxed out. It's kind of nice to have a toddler that I will want to keep as a toddler for a longer period of time, while she skills up.
Test Subject
#31 Old 21st Sep 2021 at 11:20 AM
Yes, it is intended. The idea is to make growing up a kid (or a toddler) with a superior level in all skills challenging. Having a child with a superior level in all skills should be a rare situation, as is having one with an insufficient level in all skills.
I forgot to include an explanation about it in the mod description (now, it's included).
When playing with the short lifespan, it could be really challenging to reach level 9-10 in a child skill. This makes sense to me since the short lifespan is a kind of a "hard level" mode. Anyway, it will not be difficult to reach the level 3 (the level where they get the adequate status). So, even when playing with a short lifespan, most children will have an adequate skill level when growing up.
If you want, I can create a version of the mod where this challenging feature is off.

Thank you for the explaination! Yes, you do a version with those features off if isn't too much trouble for you ! I'm sure more people beside me will enjoy it , since there're people who like to play the game a little more casual.
Anyway, the mod is really fun to play with. The kid now grew up into a teenager with a robotics talent and she just learns is really fast. It really helps me choose a career and aspiration for them, because I like it to be more random than what I want them to do.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#32 Old 21st Sep 2021 at 2:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Amber Lokisdotter
I was wondering if it was kind of feeding on itself. In other words, as they go up in skill levels, does the speed of their skill gain increase, as it goes from insufficient, to adequate, to superior?

No. As occur in the game without the mod, as the level increases it becomes harder (slower) to level up. In this way, it will be more challenging having superior level in all skills.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#33 Old 21st Sep 2021 at 3:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Crackz
Thank you for the explaination! Yes, you do a version with those features off if isn't too much trouble for you ! I'm sure more people beside me will enjoy it , since there're people who like to play the game a little more casual.
Anyway, the mod is really fun to play with. The kid now grew up into a teenager with a robotics talent and she just learns is really fast. It really helps me choose a career and aspiration for them, because I like it to be more random than what I want them to do.

Now, the feature that makes it harder to maximize the toddlers and child skills is now optional. If you want to disable it, please do not install its Add-on file. (If you have already installed this mod, you need to download and install the “BaseGame” file again. Otherwise, this feature will not be disabled).
Test Subject
#34 Old 21st Sep 2021 at 7:49 PM
Now, the feature that makes it harder to maximize the toddlers and child skills is now optional. If you want to disable it, please do not install its Add-on file. (If you have already installed this mod, you need to download and install the “BaseGame” file again. Otherwise, this feature will not be disabled).

Thanks for your fast update ! Good luck with future projects !
Lab Assistant
#35 Old 21st Sep 2021 at 9:37 PM
Me again, for further feedback/inquiry: when my toddler Sims grow up to children, is it intentional that the toddler monitoring traits stick around? Half of me thinks it should be, since, well, they're monitoring traits, but your pictures of aged-up children don't show them still being there, which makes me wonder.

Also, can confirm that this is technically compatible with Lumpinou's mod - I say technically because obviously a talent in one doesn't eliminate a weakness in the other. I currently have a strange situation where one of my Sims is simultaneously good (from Lumpinou) and extremely bad (yours) at acting. ^^;
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#36 Old 22nd Sep 2021 at 2:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DaleRune
Me again, for further feedback/inquiry: when my toddler Sims grow up to children, is it intentional that the toddler monitoring traits stick around? Half of me thinks it should be, since, well, they're monitoring traits, but your pictures of aged-up children don't show them still being there, which makes me wonder.
Also, can confirm that this is technically compatible with Lumpinou's mod - I say technically because obviously a talent in one doesn't eliminate a weakness in the other. I currently have a strange situation where one of my Sims is simultaneously good (from Lumpinou) and extremely bad (yours) at acting. ^^;

No, it's not intentional that the toddler monitoring traits stick around. I just solved that bug.

Technically "talents" from my mod and from Lumpinou's one can eliminate (or combine) their effects.
In a few words, the "talent" is a multiplier that changes the learning speed of a skill. So, for example, you have no effect if the good talent trait from Lumpinou multiplies this speed by 2, and a bad talent trait from my mod divides it by 2.
Field Researcher
#37 Old 22nd Sep 2021 at 3:23 PM
Is it compatible with tyjokr's Character Values overhaul?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#38 Old 22nd Sep 2021 at 4:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by justpass11
Is it compatible with tyjokr's Character Values overhaul?

Yes it's compatible.
Test Subject
#39 Old 23rd Sep 2021 at 2:43 PM
Thanks for this awesome mod! I will dl it soon, just a couple Qs before I do so:

1. I play 400 sims on rotation. My game is lagging a bit, and my save is big, ongoing for 7 years. Will this mod affect game performance radically?

2. Also, because I rotate I don't spend much time with each house. Toddlers get little attention (probably a couple simdays). Will this ruin the mod experience, as good skills from the start seems to make a difference?

3. If I install and then play but change my mind - will removing the mod ruin my save? Or does the mod not interfere with EA game files?

I really like the idea of the talents, hopefully I can make use of it.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#40 Old 23rd Sep 2021 at 4:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Simmerville
Thanks for this awesome mod! I will dl it soon, just a couple Qs before I do so:

1. I play 400 sims on rotation. My game is lagging a bit, and my save is big, ongoing for 7 years. Will this mod affect game performance radically?

2. Also, because I rotate I don't spend much time with each house. Toddlers get little attention (probably a couple simdays). Will this ruin the mod experience, as good skills from the start seems to make a difference?

3. If I install and then play but change my mind - will removing the mod ruin my save? Or does the mod not interfere with EA game files?

I really like the idea of the talents, hopefully I can make use of it.

1) I don't experiment performance problems in my saves. They are not so huge as yours. The biggest has around 400 sims (but I only play with 20).

2) You can disable the monitoring system for them. By doing that, you will not get only bad traits when they grow up with insufficient skills. With the monitoring system disabled, they always will gain traits as if they have adequate skills.

3) When I removed the mod from my save, the only thing that happened were that talent traits were gone. The save is still working normally. If you install the mod again (after uninstalled it), you don't get back the talent traits you had (you will receive new ones).
Test Subject
#41 Old 23rd Sep 2021 at 8:07 PM
Hi again, a small detail but I noticed that the icon for the "bad at charisma" trait is the one used for the mischief skill. Just wanted to let you know for a possible future update.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#42 Old 23rd Sep 2021 at 9:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jinnjar
Hi again, a small detail but I noticed that the icon for the "bad at charisma" trait is the one used for the mischief skill. Just wanted to let you know for a possible future update.

Sorry. I just fixed this issue.
Actually, the icon is correct, as you can see after installing the updated version I just uploaded.
Your sim is "bad at mischief".
The trait name and description now appear as they should.
Test Subject
#43 Old 23rd Sep 2021 at 10:04 PM
Hello,

I created some young adult Sims in CAS, but when I got into live mode, they didn't have any of the traits added in this mod. Is this a glitch, or am I doing something wrong? I know the mod is correctly installed because the menu option for it appears when I shift-click a Sim.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#44 Old 23rd Sep 2021 at 11:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by n3913
Hello,

I created some young adult Sims in CAS, but when I got into live mode, they didn't have any of the traits added in this mod. Is this a glitch, or am I doing something wrong? I know the mod is correctly installed because the menu option for it appears when I shift-click a Sim.

Gain no traits is also an option in the random talent distribution.
But it should not be a common thing.
I tried to reproduce your problem but all young adults sims I created gain some talent trait.
How many of your sims gain no traits?
Did you have Version 4 (the most recent) of the XML Injector?
Do they get random traits if you click on the "Randomize All (as in CAS)" button in the menu option that appears when I shift-click a Sim?
Forum Resident
#45 Old 24th Sep 2021 at 12:22 AM Last edited by Amber Lokisdotter : 24th Sep 2021 at 1:38 AM.
I encountered a bug just now, where the child in the family I was playing just hit Mental level 9, and your mod keeps giving him the Superior Mental trait, then taking it away, and giving it back again, over and over. Each time it gives the trait to the child, I get a notification; I was spammed with at least 12 notifications before I stopped counting.

I came here to report it, but you've made a new version, so I'll try that. I'll let you know if I still have that problem with the new version.

It's amazing how frequently you're updating it, but you should probably give them version numbers, even if it's 1.01, 1.02, etc., just so we can tell if we have the latest or not. I couldn't really tell if the one I had was the latest or not; I had to redownload it, and compare file dates on the package files to be certain.

Edit: It's not fixed. Getting to level 9 Mental causes the Superior Mental trait to be applied and de-applied constantly. The notification spam is quickly filling up the notification panel. I don't know why just this trait is doing this; my child Sim got to level 9 Creative, and the trait was applied without a problem. Haven't gotten to that level on Social or Motor yet, so can't report on those, so it might not be limited to just the Mental trait.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#46 Old 24th Sep 2021 at 1:09 AM Last edited by FDSims4Mods : 24th Sep 2021 at 2:17 AM.
I encountered a bug just now, where the child in the family I was playing just hit Mental level 9, and your mod keeps giving him the Superior Mental trait, then taking it away, and giving it back again, over and over. Each time it gives the trait to the child, I get a notification; I was spammed with at least 12 notifications before I stopped counting.

I came here to report it, but you've made a new version, so I'll try that. I'll let you know if I still have that problem with the new version.

It's amazing how frequently you're updating it, but you should probably give them version numbers, even if it's 1.01, 1.02, etc., just so we can tell if we have the latest or not. I couldn't really tell if the one I had was the latest or not; I had to redownload it, and compare file dates on the package files to be certain.

I'm sorry. I will think about what I can do about the mod versions.
In the meantime, you can check if you have the latest mod version by going to the "My Download" page under the "My Links" menu at the right-up corner of this website.
On the "My Download" page, you can look at the "Up to date?" column. If it said "no", you don't have the lasted version of the mod available on this website.

When you find a bug, you can check the Changelog Section (the last one) on the mod description page.
If the bug is not reported as corrected, I much probably don't notice and fix it.

About the the bug you having. Its a non fixed bug.
The monitoring system wasn't withholding the information that it had already provided the superior mental level trait. So it don't stop to notify you about that. This error was only happening with the mental skill.
Now, this error is fixed.
Test Subject
#47 Old 24th Sep 2021 at 1:29 AM
Gain no traits is also an option in the random talent distribution.
But it should not be a common thing.
I tried to reproduce your problem but all young adults sims I created gain some talent trait.
How many of your sims gain no traits?
Did you have Version 4 (the most recent) of the XML Injector?
Do they get random traits if you click on the "Randomize All (as in CAS)" button in the menu option that appears when I shift-click a Sim?

I just found the problem! Turns out that I forgot to remove Version 2 of the XML injector from my mods folder. It was causing a conflict with the updated one. I removed it and now your mod is working as intended.

Thank you! :D
Forum Resident
#48 Old 24th Sep 2021 at 2:30 AM
The monitoring system wasn't withholding the information that it had already provided the superior mental level trait. So it don't stop to notify you about that. This error was only happening with the mental skill.
Now, this error is fixed.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but it sounds like you believe that it's only spamming the notifications without unapplying and reapplying the trait. I've watched the traits panel for that Sim, and that trait is constantly added, removed, re-added, removed, etc. I'm hoping the fix will actually cause the trait to stay, although I must admit, even if it simply removes the notification spam, that will be a huge relief. I can always apply that trait manually, after he ages up, if the trait doesn't end up sticking for him. Although it may affect what other talents he is given, I suppose.

It doesn't happen with the Social and Creative traits. He hasn't reached level 9 Motor yet (although he's very close), so I can't report if that has the same bug. You can probably see in your own code whether it does or not, though, by just comparing the code with the three other traits.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#49 Old 24th Sep 2021 at 2:54 AM Last edited by FDSims4Mods : 24th Sep 2021 at 3:08 AM.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but it sounds like you believe that it's only spamming the notifications without unapplying and reapplying the trait. I've watched the traits panel for that Sim, and that trait is constantly added, removed, re-added, removed, etc. I'm hoping the fix will actually cause the trait to stay, although I must admit, even if it simply removes the notification spam, that will be a huge relief. I can always apply that trait manually, after he ages up, if the trait doesn't end up sticking for him. Although it may affect what other talents he is given, I suppose.

It doesn't happen with the Social and Creative traits. He hasn't reached level 9 Motor yet (although he's very close), so I can't report if that has the same bug. You can probably see in your own code whether it does or not, though, by just comparing the code with the three other traits.

The Superior Mental Skill trait was being added and removed intermittently because the monitoring system didn’t retain the information that it had already provided this trait. It removed the trait because it doesn’t “know” it has already given the trait.
Test Subject
#50 Old 24th Sep 2021 at 11:34 AM
Sorry. I just fixed this issue.
Actually, the icon is correct, as you can see after installing the updated version I just uploaded.
Your sim is "bad at mischief".
The trait name and description now appear as they should.

Thank you very much for your quick updates and explanation!
Page 2 of 5