Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
just a girl
#12326 Old 19th Oct 2021 at 6:26 AM
This one sounds simple enough. Need some help with the errors?
Advertisement
Alchemist
#12327 Old 19th Oct 2021 at 7:47 AM
That's the thing. I can't recreate it anymore. I was going to just start over, since it's been a while since I last looked at it, and adjust the advertising and then make sure the motive gain matches. If that doesn't work, I'll have to post in creator's feedback.

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | aka Kelyns | she/her
Mad Poster
#12328 Old 19th Oct 2021 at 4:45 PM
I would think that like Midgethetree has done, a trait could be developed for someone to be attracted to a certain career-like adventurous pixels could be in the adventure career, those who like crime could become criminals, etc. I sort of do it by that standard anyway. If they don't roll a specific career want, I'll check their interests (after I reroll them-they're always very much alike when you create a pixel) and then pick one for them.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Mad Poster
#12329 Old 19th Oct 2021 at 10:17 PM
May I just briefly return to the fraught topic of the Disagree Button.

A couple of days ago Novak, a new member here, started a new thread by posting a mild and innocuous message saying little more than "Hi! I'm new here." Several members replied welcoming Novak to the forum, but someone found it amusing to click the Disagree button. Frankly there was nothing in Novak's post to disagree with. But the troll who clicked that nasty little button will be delighted to see that it has done its work. Novak has deleted the thread and at least part of their profile. A decade after EA stopped promoting TS2, we TS2 Simmers need all the new blood we can get.

Whatever legitimate use the Disagree button may have, it surely cannot be to belittle new members and make them feel worthless and unwanted. Whoever clicked that button should hang their head in shame.

Disagree with me as much as you like, but don't use it as a weapon to hurt people who are new, whom you don't know, and that you may mortally wound. I never use it myself because I know the effect it can have on vulnerable people.

I have PM'd Novak to apologise on behalf of the community and invite them to come back.

Sorry for the rant (which I believe I seldom do), but I'm afraid on this occasion it's called for.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#12330 Old 19th Oct 2021 at 10:38 PM
Oh no! I think I posted in that thread to say hello, I hope that @Novak comes back. I try to be nice!
Mad Poster
#12331 Old 20th Oct 2021 at 12:55 AM
Quote:
Whatever legitimate use the Disagree button may have, it surely cannot be to belittle new members and make them feel worthless and unwanted. Whoever clicked that button should hang their head in shame.

Which is why I posted my opinion of the disagree button. It's nice to say it's not supposed to offend anyone, but it does, and people's feelings get hurt by its' existence. Not that I'm arguing for its' removal-that's up to the staff, but that is a side effect of having it.

But to whoever is doing this 'disagreeable nasty disagree, you're not being a nice person. Knock it off.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Lab Assistant
#12332 Old 20th Oct 2021 at 2:11 AM
If several people replied to the thread welcoming them, why would a disagree even matter or effect them that much/at all?
I'm forever confused about why people take likes and dislikes so seriously/personally, both here and on social media sites. It's just the internet, it has no effect on real life. Who cares.
Forum Resident
#12333 Old 20th Oct 2021 at 2:14 AM
I say that MTS gets rid of the disagree button forever, no frills no hassle.
Alchemist
#12334 Old 20th Oct 2021 at 5:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Keysmash
I'm forever confused about why people take likes and dislikes so seriously/personally, both here and on social media sites. It's just the internet, it has no effect on real life. Who cares.

The internet is the only outlet to world and only opportunity to socialize that some people have. I don't know why that person deleted their post, but everyone's online interactions are taking place in real life, though effect they have on the scope of people's day to day lives is based on their circumstances and personality.
Alchemist
#12335 Old 20th Oct 2021 at 5:35 AM
I don't think that removing the button is the answer; as I and I think others have mentioned, there are times to use it and when posters need it. Again, if someone is saying something untrue, or recommending something harmful to a game, it's helpful to later posters to see that disagree to likes ratio. Subsequent posts often get lost--people tend to focus on the first thing they see. It's the same here with the button in general. Often that one or two disagree really sticks with a person, even though more people liked and loved the post. A lot of people have trouble focusing on the positive; I don't think that should mean we should remove a useful forum tool. I can see how it makes sense, since not other platforms or forums have it, but since we do have it, I'm not sure if we should give up on it just yet.

In my personal experience, it is useful as a poster and as a searcher. Sometimes I do want to let someone know I disagree and I either don't have time to write out a full comment (I can be rather wordy) or, me posting would just be redundant--someone else said what I would have said. And when you're troubleshooting or just researching, it's helpful to know what others thought of a post. It lets me know that, yeah, I should read the rest of the page and figure out what's going on. I do think the button could be reworked though. We could use different terminology and different colors. Or make it a bit harder to do. I wouldn't mind if the disagree button required a little captcha, for example. Or an extra pop up, or maybe you have to go to a new page and confirm you disagree, etc. Just something to make it not so easy/fun to go down a page and hit disagree everywhere.

AndrewGloria also got me thinking what more experienced posters can do. I want to commend you AndrewGloria, first for noticing the situation and a detail like that and then for reaching out to Novak. I do see the button being misused sometimes and yeah, I get ticked when innocuous comments are disagreed with. I don't think it's okay to do that when someone is just sharing their idea, or even if they're explaining a problem they had, or telling us about their gameplay. But I usually don't say anything; at best it was an accident and the person didn't mean it (it's happened before) and at worse, calling it out would give a troll the attention they want. But maybe us posters familiar with the forum do need to call it out more--especially since the TS2 forum can be kinda slow sometimes. Maybe that means hitting the love button (for hugs!) to help drown out that disagree. Maybe it means PMing or posting to remind others that yeah, trolls exist and you shouldn't take it personally. But I don't know that we should throw out the button completely.

Anyway, I do hope that the disagree button did not put off @Novak and that they feel comfortable enough to come back. The disagree button really isn't an accurate representation of the community here--it really is a cool place to chat, hang out, and share ideas. Other platforms can feel kinda of lonely, like you're talking into the void or something, but here I love to nerd out about mod ideas, gameplay rules, and share stories. I hope Novak can experience that too and know that they are welcome.

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | aka Kelyns | she/her
Top Secret Researcher
#12336 Old 20th Oct 2021 at 5:53 AM
I hope Novak comes back. It's a shame that the disagree button can be misused. I don't know the answer to that either, like PhantomKnight said. Internet trolls will exist. But like omglo said "The internet is the only outlet to world and only opportunity to socialize that some people have." So I don't have an answer but I do hope Novak comes back and sees this is a largely wonderful community of simmers.

My Simblr
He/They
Top Secret Researcher
#12337 Old 20th Oct 2021 at 6:09 AM Last edited by lientebollemeis : 20th Oct 2021 at 6:22 AM.
There are people (still really active in the community and even in this thread) who have been trashtalking me as a creator without even contacting me in any way first.
Situation was: she asked to do a pet career, but it was my first pet career ever so not everything she asked was possible and I had lots of questions. I didn't get an answer on my last pm when I announced (in general and in a pm to her) I needed a break from creating because of real life. Accepting requests that time was a full time job and I had a burn out because of it.
About 6 months later (still didn't reply my last pm) she posted as an answer on a random uploaded career some trashtalk about me not answering and not doing her request like she asked me to do it... I pm'd her about it explaining my burn out and wanting to continue the pet careers for her, but never got an answer. She did continue the trashtalk after me sending the pm.
It really hurt to see that randomly in a thread and I wanted to quite the TS2 community alltogether.
But when announcing me quiting some people were really nice and even begged me to stay.
It's then I decided to keep on creating, but no more (or not all) requests and after some years, still remembering what happened, no longer uploading on MTS and now also no more requests.
There have been others who were negative about me, but nothing like that. And even after so many years that event is the real reason why I only accept requests for people I know.

I just want to say there are real jerks (even active in this thread). So deleting the disagree button will not delete the jerks from the community. I'd say to keep the button, but no more anonoumously.

P.S.: if the person who trashtalked me reads this (and I saw her reguraly posting in this thread even less than 7 days ago): even after so many years it still hurts me and It's still ok to apologise.

Where did your MTS uploads go? https://s2idownloads.blogspot.com/2...content-no.html
Contact me here: www.facebook.com/sims2idea
Overview all my creations: Download at once (SimFileShare)
just a girl
#12338 Old 20th Oct 2021 at 12:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Phantomknight
That's the thing. I can't recreate it anymore. I was going to just start over, since it's been a while since I last looked at it, and adjust the advertising and then make sure the motive gain matches. If that doesn't work, I'll have to post in creator's feedback.

Good luck! This is the hack I'd like to see, so I'll be looking forward to download it from you :D
Forum Resident
#12339 Old 20th Oct 2021 at 6:38 PM
I don't dislike the disagree button, in fact, I think that it can be useful in certain situations, such as letting users know that a piece of information is flawed (like someone telling someone else that adding the Grim Reaper to their family is a good idea, just for a fabricated example), or making a user aware that they said something out of line (which I think is rare, since the people I've seen on here are really nice). Like Phantomknight said, I also use it if I disagree with something, but another user took the words of my mouth before I could. For the most part, I just agree, funny, and love posts since I rarely strongly disagree with anything.

However, I can see where the disagree button can get misused and confuse users. Like I've seen disagrees on posts as simple as someone describing an event that happened in their game. But the thing to do then is compare the disagrees to the rest; if 2 users disagreed with a post and that same post has 6 loves, 10 agrees, and one funny for example, then keep scrolling knowing that you've had more of a positive impact than a negative one.

I rambled a bit there, but hopefully there was something that made sense in there

On the topic of hacks, there are a lot of creative and innovative ideas here. I'm also looking forward to see what you do, Phantomknight

When a game is predictable, it's boring.
That goes for any medium that isn't life.
That's why The Sims 2 is my favourite sims game.
It has elements of unpredictability and everything feels more involved.
The Sims 4 is another story altogether...
Theorist
#12340 Old 20th Oct 2021 at 10:18 PM
Okay, most people here don't know that, but I'm clinically diagnosed with severe generalised anxiety disorder and social phobia, so I know very well how even the actions of strangers, even if they were just thoughtless rather than malicious can hurt, especially back when I hadn't had the chance to develop proper coping mechanisms yet.

So I can understand that the disagree button might upset someone.

However, form my current POV....well I have to say, the Internet's gonna be the Internet. The anonymity it provides will always get out the jerk or troll in some people. Not that everybody who clicks the disgree button is a jerk or a troll; a lot of the time it just means "I disagree with what you said" without any intention of devaluing the person who posted the message. Sometimes it might even be an accidental click, I know I have clicked some buttons on this forum and others by accident while scrolling through a thread on my tablet, and I'm not sure whether I always noticed to go back and undo it.
I say we should keep the disagree button, because like many things, it only has as much power over your mood as you allow it too. Who cares if somebody clicks disagree on every message on a page in a thread no matter what it says?

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Forum Resident
#12341 Old 20th Oct 2021 at 10:45 PM
I think most people who play sims have a great sensitivity and sometimes we take things very seriously. I think the best thing, as they have said, is to try not to give so much importance to what others think. Even trying to laugh at everything and not take everything so literally. Life has taught me to go out to the ring when necessary, although many times I have ended up mentally exhausted, but I prefer that to crying always, so although I think that the exhibition can be an exercise in shock therapy, I also think that it is good to rest and do nothing when you need it. xD Today's humans are predators and sometimes there is no choice but to say: here I am, and this is me.

I am sorry that the person in question deleted his message and account, but he should have appreciated that many of us put "love" on him and others commented on him amicably. Trolls will always be there, the only thing that works is not to give them energy, I mean attention.

Maybe he misinterpreted that reaction, when you enter here for the first time you think that all users are friends and a single criticism can make you believe that everyone is against you when it is not the case. It happened to me a bit at first, but I thought, "Stop making movies, people will appreciate you for who you are."
Mad Poster
#12342 Old 22nd Oct 2021 at 12:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Lena88
Folks, what do you think about this - mod that allowes sims who have CRIMINAL job career to come back with random (expansive) item? Or a mod that can spawn CRIMINAL job sims stealing from other's homes? Like...you send household to sleep and at night there is a burglar sim (who is actual criminal job sim).

=====
And on that note; what's with Uni students bringing random things to their dorms? Like the time one put a BBQ in the living room, wanted hot dogs, and I let him...dum dum DUM!

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Field Researcher
#12343 Old 23rd Oct 2021 at 7:06 PM
Simmers...what do you think about ALL AGES PIMPLES mod? I mean, I think its normal that all sims can get pimples if their hygiene is very low.
Mad Poster
#12344 Old 23rd Oct 2021 at 7:23 PM
Whether or not you get pimples actually has nothing to do with your hygiene and it's dumb that it works that way for teens in the game in the first place.
Forum Resident
#12345 Old 23rd Oct 2021 at 8:38 PM
Yeah, I always found that weird, too. When I was younger, I thought the pimples were a symptom of an illness my sims had. It didn't help that I first noticed the acne when that particular sim was ill

When a game is predictable, it's boring.
That goes for any medium that isn't life.
That's why The Sims 2 is my favourite sims game.
It has elements of unpredictability and everything feels more involved.
The Sims 4 is another story altogether...
Test Subject
#12346 Old 23rd Oct 2021 at 9:33 PM
BartekStu made a food overhaul mod which can be adjusted through SimPE. I have alot of custom foods in my game and I ashamedly admit that I am truly SimPE-averse. One day I will have the time and patience to learn how to work with it, but for now...

I would love to see a Food Categorizer, which would work a bit like the Wardrobe Wrangler. It would be a separate tool that would allow you to directly load into it foods from your Downloads folder, identify the food or drink category for each item of produce as meat, fish, veg, fruit, dairy, spice, drink, alcohol, healthy or soft drink, etc . It would also allow you to add the needed ingredients for a recipe thus enabling it to be available in a fridge, like BartekStu's mod.

The Food Categorizer ideally would allow you to include custom foods like Sun&Moon's farm animal, fish, fruit, veg and seasoning produce and Echo's, Simslice's, Becks, Katie's from PCSims, Simaddicts99's , Aysarth's or any other custom harvestable foods. It would include BartekStu's ideas about allocating Vegetarian, Pescatarian and Vegan trait/badges to the foods so that you could restrict using the ingredients and recipes in cooking by trait. Others may want Keto/Caveman, Fruitarian or Gluten Free to be added to reflect their own circumstances or a system that would allow them to create their own custom diets. Eg. Lasagne would be meat, cheese, tomato, wheat, but veg lasagne would be mushroom cheese, tomato, wheat and neither would be an option for the Gluten free diet.

Ideally, once recipes, categories and (custom) traits are added all we would have to do is click save, close the Food Categorizer, then launch the game.. Ta dah! It's enough to make me want to learn how to program! It sounds simple (not to be confused with SimP!E) but I know its not, which is why I only have it as a wish.
Forum Resident
#12347 Old 24th Oct 2021 at 5:01 AM
On this "Disagree" topic... clearly there are times when someone's in a bad mood and just hit disagree on every post. For one, you can't take that personally. It was VERY compassionate of @AndrewGloria to reach out to Novak... but do we know for certain that 1 Disagree is the reason Novak withdrew from the site? I joined a sports site, then withdrew because I didn't like the TOS. I never went back to check and see if anyone PM'd me to check in. I dont even know the pword, because I didn't care to go back. It's possible someone thumbed down my comment and maybe even felt guilty about it since i had one and only one post. But despite how it may have appeared, that would not have had anything to do with my reasons for quitting the site.

That being said, if someone is too fragile to get a red circle that says "disagree" perhaps they are not fully ready to be on the internet. I know that won't be the popular opinion and some people will feel that i'm being mean. But people need to have a certain amount of resiliency when they engage the world. People need to be able to function in society, where things don't always go their way. It's for their own good, to learn coping mechanisms, as someone else said, so they can partake. People need to learn not to give other people that much control over your life, so that with the click of a button (and not a nuclear strike button, but a button that says "disagree") they can push you over the cliff. The world is a rough place, and it's not possible to cater to everybody. We mustn't be so fragile.

If, indeed, Novak was chased off by one dislike, I feel bad that that's the case. However, people are going to disagree with each other. We have to learn to live with it. Heck, i've got 100s of "disagrees" in this very thread. And I even recall, sometime back, where a poster said, "my sim did X" and somebody disagreed. We laughed and said, who would disagree with a factual statement? The individual who disagreed responded, saying that they inadvertently clicked on the post and didn't mean to hit the button at all. People can't let something like that drive them to the brink.

I was asked a very simple question when I was in middle school, and angry over something someone had said about me... The question was, "If they called you a Buick, would you go live in the garage?" No, of course not, because I'm not a car. Well, if i'm not a cotton headed ninny-muggins, why should i care that they called me that any more than I would care about them calling me a Buick? That rationale helped my maturity level a lot!

Learning to cope with rainy days is an essential life skill. Because into each life, a little rain must fall.
(just ask Noah)

-gE
>=)
Top Secret Researcher
#12348 Old 24th Oct 2021 at 11:44 AM
«...clearly there are times when someone's in a bad mood and just hit disagree on every post...»
If it happens it must be extremely rare, I can't imagine visiting MTS to randomly batch disagree because I'm in a mood. When I disagree it's because I don't agree with what I read.
Everything else you said is gold.

«...People need to learn not to give other people that much control over your life, so that with the click of a button [...] they can push you over the cliff.»
Yes but rather than trying to control themselves, I feel like the anti-disagreers are trying to control what others are allowed to think or not. The same who are whining about being disagreed with and asking for a non-anonymous disagree button, are perfectly fine with the anonymous agree/helpful/love buttons. How come ? For some mysterious reason, they don't demand that those who agreed with them explain WHY they agree, or what it is they loved or found helpful about their comment.

Could it be that they are afraid of getting less "agrees" if those were not anonymous? Why depend that badly upon the vacuous validation of random anons on the internet? Clearly, asking for the doxx of the disagreers only is meant as a way of bullying anyone who doesn't agree with them into silence.
Scholar
#12349 Old 24th Oct 2021 at 1:28 PM
This thread is becoming a quite philosophical one. And I'm not sure I'm ready for this! :D

(Yes, of course, you are welcome to disagree! xD)
Alchemist
#12350 Old 24th Oct 2021 at 1:44 PM
...Doxxing? When we're all anonymous anyway? And I can't even imagine how needing to use your words to communicate on a message board would mean you weren't allowed to have your own option (I disagreed because that was all really OTT).
Page 494 of 576