Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Mar 2020 at 10:43 PM
Default First Time Driving
For those who drive, is it normal to be scared or nervous when you first started driving alone after passing your test?

About to take that big step my self once I get my first car with in the next week or so and while doing a few test drives, although short, I was a bit on the nervous side as it was my first time driving with out an instructor by my side.

Life is like a rollercoaster. It has its ups and downs. But it's your choice to scream or enjoy the ride
Cottage feedback- would be greatly appreciated
Simple Holiday House - great for parties and relaxation
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 7th Mar 2020 at 12:54 AM
It is perfectly normal to be afraid of driving without "training wheels" the first times (for most things that could potentially get you in trouble if you do it wrong). If you weren't nervous or scared at all, I'd be more worried. Some nervousness is good. It keeps you from doing stupid things as a first-time driver, and makes you a bit more vigilant. After a while and with more experience, you'll probably feel more relaxed.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 7th Mar 2020 at 10:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by coolsim22
For those who drive, is it normal to be scared or nervous when you first started driving alone after passing your test?

About to take that big step my self once I get my first car with in the next week or so and while doing a few test drives, although short, I was a bit on the nervous side as it was my first time driving with out an instructor by my side.

It's perfectly normal.
When I eventually got my license, I had failed 3 times, and was worries that every time that I was in the car, that I was doing something wrong.
I guess I was used to having someone in the car with me, telling me if I wasn't doing something right.
Plus, when I first started to drive, I was horrendous. It took a fair amount of time before I was anywhere near ready to drive by myself

Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Steam ID: PadukSteam
Scholar
#4 Old 9th Mar 2020 at 3:25 PM
Yup its totally normal. Not that I've actually gotten round to getting my license yet, but it's what the parentals have told me a bunch of times over the years. That reminds me, I really should hunt down a more recent edition of the theory book.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 9th Mar 2020 at 9:30 PM
Thank you for the advice, feel a little bit better.
It took me a long time to pass my test, and had a few low points where I was considering on giving up, but so glad I didn’t in the end.

Picking my car up on Friday and I am so excited but a bit nervous at the same time.

Life is like a rollercoaster. It has its ups and downs. But it's your choice to scream or enjoy the ride
Mad Poster
#6 Old 14th Mar 2020 at 9:22 AM
I never passed my test. I was too timid to drive.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 14th Mar 2020 at 11:09 AM
If you just remember to drive defensively, you will be fine. It's your driving that is good....it's the other guy you have to watch out for!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 15th Mar 2020 at 4:26 PM
Picked up my car on Friday and getting back home that day was a bit off a nightmare because my instructor had only taught me how to move off just using the clutch, which screwed me over a bit as I was never taught how to move off in a petrol car using the clutch and accelerator at the same time, so I ended up stalling at pretty much every set of lights and junctions i stopped at and the whole ordeal stressed me out quite a lot. Once I got home I literally had to research how to move off in my car and I am now getting used to the car and stalling a lot less than I was on Friday.

Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 19th Mar 2020 at 7:25 AM
Perfectly normal. And after decades of driving I was just as nervous driving for the first time in a large, unfamiliar city.
Scholar
#10 Old 20th Mar 2020 at 2:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by coolsim22
Thank you for the advice, feel a little bit better.
It took me a long time to pass my test, and had a few low points where I was considering on giving up, but so glad I didn’t in the end.

Picking my car up on Friday and I am so excited but a bit nervous at the same time.

It took me six attempts at the practical (passed theory first time) over six months to pass, and I too felt like giving up as we approached test #3, but my instructor talked me out of it. Well done for keeping going and congratulations on passing your test!

As for anxiety about driving, it's perfectly normal - the first time I ever drove a car without dual controls was the day I test-drove the car I ended up buying, and I was terrified I was going to do something stupid... like stall it in front of both my dad and the guy I bought it from. My gear changes certainly weren't all that smooth, so there was a bit of bouncing especially between 1st and 2nd.
Even now, nearly 4 years on, I occasionally stall the thing... but no longer do I have the steering wheel in a death-grip (unless I'm driving in high winds and getting buffeted by a cross-wind on the dual carriageway) and my gear changes are 99% smooth. Confidence comes with practice, and knowing how your personal vehicle handles is extremely helpful. In my first couple of months, I'd go out for mystery drives on the local roads, just getting used to the car, taking random turns and simply learning different routes. I still vary that today, as knowing an alternative comes in handy if you come up against a closure or obstruction, plus you don't get bored with the same old road through the same old places! Google Maps and/or sat-nav can help in a pinch, but there's nothing that can beat a bit of local knowledge.

Enjoy your new-found freedom and independence!!

No need to use my full name, "Selly" will do just fine.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 20th Mar 2020 at 4:57 PM
Thank you @Selly_2009.

Been driving for a week now and I’m still a bit rusty in some areas but I’ve regained the majority off my confidence and look forward to being able to take full advantage of the new found freedom once these crazy times in the world has past.