Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Sep 2014 at 4:01 PM
Default Hot loading scripts
From the EA forum:

Quote: Originally posted by SimGuruModSquad
Hey there! Here's the deal on hotloading:

By default modders will need to restart the game to see their script changes update in game, BUT hot loading is a feature that is supported by the engine so it is possible you may be able to get it working. Off the top of my head I actually do not know how difficult it would be for you guys to add hotloading back in.

I am open to having this added as a shipping feature if you guys need it - it will need some work, but it's not impossible. Looking for feedback from you guys on how important this is for you.

A bit more detail: For us, most workflows work fine with hotloading - but when reloading happens it does not recreate already instantiated python objects, it just updates the code. So if the existing object somehow become incompatible with the new code, you will experience a lot of exceptions . As I say, in practice this is fine most of the time for the types of things we iterate on, but for certain changes it will not. Also, hotloading only works on loose python files (not zips) - as @TheHologram noted above. Loose .py files are supported out of the "Mods" folder.

Emphasis mine.