Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Mar 2008 at 7:17 PM
Default Online capabilities?
Am I the only one who would LOVE Animal Crossing style neighbourhood connections?
Like we connect to the internet, run the sims and join eachother's neighbourhoods, so we can all explore everyone elses neighbourhoods and interact with eachother's sims.
Opinions?
Ah, no what I meant was, you play a sim, they play a sim and you can interact, they can't actually edit your nieghbourhood =]
Advertisement
retired moderator
#2 Old 21st Mar 2008 at 7:25 PM
I'm too protective over my Sims and their storylines. I would be very opposed to letting someone else snoop around my neighborhood (lol). But it would be a cool option for others...

Formerly known as boolPropped
#3 Old 21st Mar 2008 at 7:35 PM
It's an interesting idea and I'm sure someone would like it, but I prefer to have complete control over my neighborhood. I'd be afraid they'd mess something up.
#4 Old 21st Mar 2008 at 8:15 PM
Im not for it. I doubt we'll be able to have a seamless world.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 22nd Mar 2008 at 6:51 AM
Yeah, and maybe ther'll be trolls to roam about your neighbourhood wreaking havoc. Besides what about the sim memories? Right now they get screwd up if the sims are moved to another neighbourhood.
#6 Old 22nd Mar 2008 at 7:21 AM
I would like it, but it is good, the way it is...
Mad Poster
#7 Old 22nd Mar 2008 at 7:31 AM
I wouldn't like it - I like my game offline.
Test Subject
#8 Old 22nd Mar 2008 at 9:57 AM
I wouldn't mind the idea, but like people said I don't want people to mess up my neighbourhood.

But if there were online capabilities, I think this is how it would be done.

You create a neighborhood for online use, apply a password to it, so that only people you want to access it will access it. And you and your friends can import your own houses and lots into the actual neighbourhood, and if you don't want your friends to run into your homes, keep it locked, where only you can access it.

Or if Sims 3 runs their own neighborhoods, and you can import your lot into it, and in here the rooms are locked, only accessible to you. Those who cause chaos, are "kicked" from the neighborhood, and whatnot.

This would obviously be optional. Either the creators will implement this or not, either way I don't really mind offline is fun, online would be something new, who knows! I just can't wait!
Instructor
#9 Old 22nd Mar 2008 at 10:10 AM
It could be interesting, but I don't see how it would work well.

Say my Sim met your sim, then you couldn't get online for a week, and in that week my Sim died. Your Sim would lose a friend - it could end up quite messy if one another's Sims could enter into a relationship or start a family together. I'm sure there are a lot of scenarios where this feature could be less than ideal... but also, many reasons why it could be a lot of fun!

Kind of on the fence.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 22nd Mar 2008 at 12:54 PM
Hmm, there's an idea for the inevitable expansion packs. For core game, no. I wouldn't go online with my hoods to have griefers mess with my sims. I have read most people seem to share this protective attitude about their sims.

A lurking translator who goes stealthily converting text strings into finnish when he feels like doing that, which is very rarely.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 22nd Mar 2008 at 4:52 PM
I'd probably only use online mode with people I know in real life. lol
Instructor
#12 Old 22nd Mar 2008 at 6:03 PM
Yeah. I agree w/ most of the pple who don't want it messing up their game. But I also don't particularly care for other pple's sims. I want to make up my own characters with my own backstories for them. I would however like the ability to import entire neighborhoods w/ lots and hood deco to play with. For example, JadeElliott's Thyme neighborhood looks so awesome that I'd just love to download the whole thing and populate it w/ my sims. And it'd be a lot easier to play a medieval neighborhood or a victorian one if you could just download a neighborhood that someone else has already made and perfected, especially if those aren't your main hoods.
Theorist
#13 Old 22nd Mar 2008 at 6:11 PM
They could always do things like they're proposing to do with Spore (which would make a lot of sense), where you could play in other people's playgrounds but never affect those environments on the other side - grab things you like from their neighborhoods and use them for your own, but essentially it would be like being able to shop MTS2 with all the creators stuff being "live" and active in the environment to see.

But making it like Spore would mean they could tie it in to an online "service" like X-Box live, controlling piracy by locking out the feature with denial of access, and promote other EA/Maxis stuff with a sort of social super-framework for EA Games.
#14 Old 24th Mar 2008 at 9:03 PM
I like it. I'm a big fan of the Spore way of doing it, if I need a predator for my game, it'll go fetch a player made one for me. Brilliant. I hope Sims 3 will do the same. If my neighborhood needs a vegetarian, evil, lucky, lazy, outdoorsman, then the game will go fetch one for me.

Same with houses. Just how many ยง20,000 starter homes have we built? Wouldn't it be nice to try out someone else's starter homes once in a while, from within the game?
#15 Old 25th Mar 2008 at 1:23 AM
Many people have said that they support online gaming, but should be able to choose exactly who accesses your game, and I like that idea. Maybe they can have 'Friend Codes' like in Animal Crossing, and in order to get onto someone's game, you have to have the person's unique friend code. I don't want those nasty BBS people ruining my 'hoods :eviltongu
Also in Animal Crossing, when you meet animals on another person's town, they may move to your town as a permanent resident, but still stay in the other person's town. I think this would be interesting in the Sims 3. Say your sim is running amuck in a friend's town and meets a nice sim girl. After talking for a while, the girl decides to stop by for a visit in your town without leaving your friend's game, and becomes a townie. You guys with me? :D
Scholar
#16 Old 25th Mar 2008 at 7:35 PM
Yes it can be interesting Allison. But I guess I will wait to see how this neighborhood sharing will be done first.
Scholar
#17 Old 25th Mar 2008 at 9:37 PM
I think that it would be quite a fun idea! The thing is with animal crossing, though, is that you have to give the visitor your friend code to let them come. So random people couldn't just strut in at anytime and kill all your sims
Test Subject
#18 Old 25th Jun 2008 at 10:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by boolPropped
I'm too protective over my Sims and their storylines. I would be very opposed to letting someone else snoop around my neighborhood (lol). But it would be a cool option for others...

Yep! Same here! I wouldn't wanna ruin the story plot