Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Mar 2008 at 6:46 AM
System Requirements for The Sims 3 ?
Any1 know the minimum and recommended requirements for the Sims 3 Base Game?

If not whats your guess?

I would probably say:

System Requirements
Windows XP SP2 or Windows Vista with Direct X10 installed (SP1 is now unsupported).
CPU: 2.4 GHz or faster
RAM: 1GIG (2GIG or more recommended)
Disc Drive: 12x DVD Drive or faster
HDD: 8 GIG Free Space or more
Video: 128 MB DirectX 10.0 and T&L compatible.
Sound: DirectX 10.0 compatible

So my guess if you don't mind those requirements you might be in big trouble.
My problem is I only got Windows XP SP1 atm.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 17th Mar 2008 at 9:27 AM
You can download Windows SP2 from the official site. Takes a long time, but it's free.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#3 Old 17th Mar 2008 at 12:01 PM
The minimum requirements I would guess will be roughly equivalent to what we are seeing for the EPs now - however, what EA says are minimum requirements are -minimum requirements to get the game to run- not to play it well... and they haven't been releasing recommended requirements. Which frankly is damn irresponsible of them. Whatever they say the minimums are, double it for playability... triple it for EPs or under Vista.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Alchemist
#4 Old 17th Mar 2008 at 12:09 PM
Heh if they're gonna be roughly equivalent to the current EPs, I'll be able to play it without an upgrade But i want one anyway.

I also think that's about right, I think it's unrealistic to believe we''ll have a full 'hood loaded at the same time so we can flip between lots/households without loading screens. (as it's been suggested)

If wishes were fishes we'd all cast nets
#5 Old 17th Mar 2008 at 3:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ConradThe2nd
Any1 know the minimum and recommended requirements for the Sims 3 Base Game?

If not whats your guess?

I would probably say:

System Requirements
Windows XP SP2 or Windows Vista with Direct X10 installed (SP1 is now unsupported).
CPU: 2.4 GHz or faster
RAM: 1GIG (2GIG or more recommended)
Disc Drive: 12x DVD Drive or faster
HDD: 8 GIG Free Space or more
Video: 128 MB DirectX 10.0 and T&L compatible.
Sound: DirectX 10.0 compatible

So my guess if you don't mind those requirements you might be in big trouble.
My problem is I only got Windows XP SP1 atm.

No chance that it will be DX10, it looks a lot like Sims 2 Graphics IMO, so I say this.

CPU: 3Ghz Single Core (2Ghz Dual Core recommended)
Ram 1Gb (2Gb, or 4Gb recommended)
DVD: 8x speed (You can play on slower DVD drives, but it takes longer to install)
Hard Drive: 10-15Gb free space
Video: 128Mb DX9 compatible card with T&L, Radeon x800, GeForce 6800 or above.
(Radeon HD 3870, or GeForce 9800 recommended)
Sound: DX9 compatible. (Sound Blaster X-Fi Recommended)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 18th Mar 2008 at 4:40 AM
Well, atm my PC plays Sims2 fine with all EPs up to BV. Yet to get Free-Time but I know it will handle it well, but it might be enough to get The Sims 3 Base Game to run, but I doubt it will be playable on my machine. (My Motherboard won't take anymore than 1GIG, ahh need to buy a new PC AGAIN i'll say!)

Its very doubtful the game will come on mulptile CDs so a DVD yes, and yes HP its unusual no mention of system requirements from EA as yet. I'll rather hear this info first.

Quote: Originally posted by Brutuz
DVD: 8x speed (You can play on slower DVD drives, but it takes longer to install)

Wow! I meet all those requirements expect for my CPU which is only at 2.4Ghz, but have a powerful RADEON 9600 Graphics Card, maybe that will make up for it.

But as for HP says, I think Ill better get started in doubling thoses specs if they are right of course.
Forum Resident
#7 Old 18th Mar 2008 at 4:47 AM
No chance that it will be DX10, it looks a lot like Sims 2 Graphics IMO, so I say this.

Yes..im hoping that its dual core optimized....oterhwise im really stuffed.... *has a 2.7ghz dual core*

A 9800??? No way....crysis runs on a 8800GT so thats way overkill.... id say recommended...

8600GT?
Instructor
#8 Old 30th Mar 2008 at 3:36 PM
Man! I probably need a new graphic card! Mine is an nVidia GeForce FX 5500, I hope that will work, and come on!! 10-15 Gb!! Id say 5-10 :D
#9 Old 30th Mar 2008 at 7:32 PM
Direct 10.0??

I thought that was only for Vista. No way in HELL is this game going to be just for Vista.
shiny!
retired moderator
#10 Old 31st Mar 2008 at 12:43 AM
Most directx10 games are also directx9 compatible.. so you can take advantage of directx10 if running in Vista but it will also work in XP. I think that's possible but the other specs.. geez it's not going to be as heavy as Crysis.. no way those will be the requirements. It would be nice though if TS3 was dual core compatible.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 31st Mar 2008 at 8:01 AM
Wouldn't surprise me if Sims3 is Vista only
#12 Old 31st Mar 2008 at 5:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ConradThe2nd
Wouldn't surprise me if Sims3 is Vista only

NO!!! That would make me so freaking mad! That would mean having to install Vista on my faithful laptop, with bugs, glitches, and all! They have to make it for XP also, a lot of people still use it. Also, I agree that the game should be dual core optimized, it'd be silly if it wasn't.
Alchemist
#13 Old 31st Mar 2008 at 6:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Allison
NO!!! That would make me so freaking mad! That would mean having to install Vista on my faithful laptop, with bugs, glitches, and all! They have to make it for XP also, a lot of people still use it. Also, I agree that the game should be dual core optimized, it'd be silly if it wasn't.

I doubt TS3 will be Vista only but it's only a matter of time before all games go to Vista only. especially after the next directx upgrade. Halo 2 for pc was the beginning of the future. Technology marches on
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 31st Mar 2008 at 9:38 PM
I think that they should release them sooner rather than later because I, like many people I assume, need a new PC to even continue to run TS2, so I want the system specs now.

It would help their sales I would think.
Forum Resident
#15 Old 31st Mar 2008 at 10:02 PM
It will not be for Vista only, as they said they want to offer the game for a WIDE audience. Not everyone has Vista. Not everyone wants Vista.
#16 Old 1st Apr 2008 at 10:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by chyrun
It will not be for Vista only, as they said they want to offer the game for a WIDE audience. Not everyone has Vista. Not everyone wants Vista.

This is far more complicated. They are not making games for fun but for living. For money to be precise.
If (I doubt that) the game engine will be optimized, then it will be according to next year common system.
This month common (mid-end/upper mid-end) gaming systems are:
Windows XP Home SP2 / Vista Home Premium
Core 2 E8400 / Core 2 Q6600
2GB / 4GB RAM
500 GB / 1TB HDD
GF9600GT / GF SLI or Radeon 3870x2

I remind you (or inform) that in the summer at least three new GPU chips will be released. Why then support older designs while the new ones make real money? Same thing is about OS, XP is good but not profitable anymore.
Alchemist
#17 Old 1st Apr 2008 at 1:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by chyrun

The game is a year away
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 1st Apr 2008 at 8:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kennyinbmore
The game is a year away

how does that go with what you quoted?
Forum Resident
#19 Old 1st Apr 2008 at 9:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Look_Out!
This is far more complicated. They are not making games for fun but for living. For money to be precise.
If (I doubt that) the game engine will be optimized, then it will be according to next year common system.
This month common (mid-end/upper mid-end) gaming systems are:
Windows XP Home SP2 / Vista Home Premium
Core 2 E8400 / Core 2 Q6600
2GB / 4GB RAM
500 GB / 1TB HDD
GF9600GT / GF SLI or Radeon 3870x2

I remind you (or inform) that in the summer at least three new GPU chips will be released. Why then support older designs while the new ones make real money? Same thing is about OS, XP is good but not profitable anymore.

A FR 9600GT? uh oh..i hope it isnt that highjt..i only have a 8600GT
Instructor
#20 Old 1st Apr 2008 at 10:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Look_Out!

And the wider the fan base, the more money they'll make. If you think about it, this is why the richest company in the world is Walmart, not Neiman Marcus. This means that Maxis will cater to the lowest specs they possibly can while still delivering a decent game. Which means the specs you posted are completely off the mark - they're way too high for the average sim player.
#21 Old 2nd Apr 2008 at 12:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by TingTong
Yes..im hoping that its dual core optimized....oterhwise im really stuffed.... *has a 2.7ghz dual core*

A 9800??? No way....crysis runs on a 8800GT so thats way overkill.... id say recommended...

8600GT?

Remember, the Ghz Rating is done on a Pentium 4, The Core 2 Duos, Pentium Dual Core E2xx0's, Core 2 Quads, etc all do more Instructions per clock, for a 2Ghz Core 2 Duo/Pentium dual Core, you'd need a 6Ghz Pentium 4.
Forum Resident
#22 Old 2nd Apr 2008 at 3:47 AM
Remember, the Ghz Rating is done on a Pentium 4, The Core 2 Duos, Pentium Dual Core E2xx0's, Core 2 Quads, etc all do more Instructions per clock, for a 2Ghz Core 2 Duo/Pentium dual Core, you'd need a 6Ghz Pentium 4.

really? I never knew...i suppose 2.6ghz will be enough then...
#23 Old 2nd Apr 2008 at 8:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by idtaminger
And the wider the fan base, the more money they'll make. If you think about it, this is why the richest company in the world is Walmart, not Neiman Marcus. This means that Maxis will cater to the lowest specs they possibly can while still delivering a decent game. Which means the specs you posted are completely off the mark - they're way too high for the average sim player.

Remember that the games are boosting the development of new GPUs. For instance - GF8600GT is as "fast" 7800GT and MUCH slower than a very decent (almost 3 yeas ago...) 7800GTX.
How do you think, are game developers including "The way it means to be played" slogan just beacause it makes game intro longer or more fun?
No. They have been paid to do so. I don't know how much game cost in US or UK. Here, in Poland Sims 2 (which is expensive) and newest games cost circa 50$. A decent GPU costs nearly 1000$.
Now, tell me who is making money on games...
In a year this high-end graphics will become mid-range - this is the rule of progress and there's nothing we can do about it. "Mid-range" means "average". Average means it will stand below "Recommended configuration" next year.

The idea of Sims is not to make the game different, but better. Of course, I am sure that Sims 3 will work on today machines. Not expect something really amazing though.
#24 Old 5th Apr 2008 at 9:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kennyinbmore
The game is a year away

Yes, but there are only a couple of game engines that are Vista soecific - and The Sims 3 is highly unlikely to be using either of those (they're too high spec, Crysis uses one), and as TS3 has been in development for, what? Two years already? It will be Vista compatible but not Vista specific.

Not just because they won't want to alienate their fanbase, but also because they will have started development before the release of Vista. TS2 was released at the dawn of XP, but it was compatible with 2000, '98 etc.

As for specs, I'd take Spore's specs and one-and-a-half them.
Test Subject
#25 Old 5th Aug 2008 at 2:02 AM
Wait a sec guys... You actually think that The Sims 3 is recommanded to be played on a GF 9800 GT?... I don't so. Just look at The Sims 2 and compare the graphic details with the Sims 3 trailers. You can't really see the difference from far, if you take a close look, The Sims 3's graphics are a little better than The Sims 2. I'd actually say any 128 Mo Graphic Cards will be required unless they decide to make it a Direct 10x version, then you'll need a GeForce 8400 GT a least to make it play, but I doubt it, there is no reality effects in the sims games. (IF they decide to make it a Direct 10x version, Vista will only be compatible I'm affraid...)

But... You'll need more more more RAM and a far better processor than The Sims'2 minimum requirement cuz you're gonna be running an entire city of sims. God, my The Sims's 2 Start lagging with my 2.4 Ghz Duo Core processor and 3 GB RAM when I press the very very fast button in a Community Lot:s. Imagine what would happen if this same very very fast button is used in the entire city. You'd need atleast a 3 Ghz Duo Core to have a decent stability without lagging like hell...
Locked thread | Locked by: HystericalParoxysm Reason: We'll see when it's announced.
Page 1 of 2