Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Sep 2015 at 5:54 PM Last edited by claudiasharon : 31st Jan 2016 at 1:24 PM.
Default Modding issue with child skills-SOLVED
I don't know if anyone has ever tried this, but I'd like to add the athletic skill to the monkey bars, so when children reach level 10 of the motor skill they can skill on the athletic skill. But when I went to edit my xml file, somehow I completely removed the play option for the monkey bars. Could someone help me figure out where I went wrong and what I need to do to fix it? I can post files and whatnot if needed. Thanks.

Edit: Here's my coding if it helps.

Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 4th Sep 2015 at 7:17 PM
Yeah ! It's a good idea ! Maybe you should try to edit the Motor Skill xml instead.
Now, this is a EDITED little code from the Social_Skill for child XML :

Code:
<T n="locked_description">0x9411B73B</T>
  <T n="mood_id">14634</T>
  <T n="skill_description">0xF4442D7C</T>
  <E n="skill_level_type">CHILD</E>
  <L n="skill_unlocks_on_max">
  <T>16659</T>
  </L>

The italic part will help you. Here, I have already replace the IDs of the Charisma and Mischief skills with the Fitness one.
Add this code/part/Whatever to the Motor_Child Skill. 16659 is the ID of the Fitness Skill.
After this compare the Motor Child Skill with the Social Child Skill, to make them look like each other. Or maybe you will prefer edit the XML and send it here, for us to verify. Hope it will help you!

Sorry for my bad english...

Tuto-How to create a career - Sims 4 open to suggestions.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 4th Sep 2015 at 7:21 PM Last edited by claudiasharon : 4th Sep 2015 at 7:35 PM.
Hmm, so you think I edited the wrong file then? I'll look at that one instead and see if it works. Thanks!

Edit: Nope, that wasn't it. I think I have to edit multiple files but I'm not sure which ones! Either that or I missed something in the Motor skill...

Lab Assistant
#4 Old 4th Sep 2015 at 8:45 PM
I think it's worked, but not entirely. I tested in game with the edited XML.
Firstly, I entered the cheat to reach any level in Fitness, with a child, and it didn't worked, because my Sim was a child.
After having cheated to reach the level 10 of Motor skill, I used again the cheat to reach any level of fitness. This time, it's worked although my Sim was a child.

I think the problem come from the fact that there is no object, except the Monkeybars, usable by child to skill up Fitness...

Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 4th Sep 2015 at 8:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by OhMy!!
I think it's worked, but not entirely. I tested in game with the edited XML.
Firstly, I entered the cheat to reach any level in Fitness, with a child, and it didn't worked, because my Sim was a child.
After having cheated to reach the level 10 of Motor skill, I used again the cheat to reach any level of fitness. This time, it's worked although my Sim was a child.

I think the problem come from the fact that there is no object, except the Monkeybars, usable by child to skill up Fitness...

Well, I'd really like the child Sim to be able to use the monkey bars to gain the athletic skill. That's the whole point of this mod. But whenever I edit the interaction xml, it makes the play on the monkey bars option go away completely and they can only hang out on them.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 5th Sep 2015 at 1:41 PM
I'm sorry, I tested some others ways, in vain. I think it's possible to do it, but unfortunatly, it's beyond my knowledge. Hopefully, better modders will help you. Sorry again...

Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 6th Sep 2015 at 11:28 AM
Thanks for trying. If anybody else could help that'd be great!
Forum Resident
#8 Old 6th Sep 2015 at 12:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by claudiasharon
Thanks for trying. If anybody else could help that'd be great!

I think the reason why it isn't working because, normally, children can't gain fitness skill as it is for ages teen and older in the files, you might want to edit the fitness file to include the child stage and then try again.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 6th Sep 2015 at 2:31 PM
I did that, and she can gain fitness only if she has the active trait and does push-ups or sit-ups. I would like her to be able to gain via the monkey bars, so I think something needs to be modded there. Is it not possible to do at the moment without including script mods?
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 31st Jan 2016 at 1:39 AM
Okay I decided to revisit this mod, and I still can't figure out what files I am missing. If I edit the object tuning for the monkey bars, the monkey bars will no longer have the "play" option when you click on them. My goal is to make the motor child skill max out at 10, and then unlock the fitness skill on the monkey bars. I've gotten it where the fitness and motor start at 1 at the same time, or they gain fitness by exercising if they are active, but for some reason the stupid monkey bars will not pick up on it.

The files I edited are:
Code:
statistic_Skill_Child_Motor
skill_Fitness

I can't seem to figure out what other files to edit, I've played around with most of the fitness and motor ones and still haven't had any luck.

Can anyone help? I hope it's okay I responded to my own thread instead of making a new one, I thought it'd be silly to have two threads going with the same info.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#11 Old 31st Jan 2016 at 1:52 AM
Can you post the current tuning you have there for the monkey bars? Preferrably as attachment, since unformatted code is really hard to read ..

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 31st Jan 2016 at 2:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
Can you post the current tuning you have there for the monkey bars? Preferrably as attachment, since unformatted code is really hard to read ..

I zipped it up, it's the xml file for monkeyBars_Play, (interactions.base.super_interaction). I know I did something wrong in that file, just not sure where to fix it. I tried copying some of the creativity/child's violin info and edit it to fit the monkeyBars_Play xml, but it doesn't work right. At level 10 I only get the Hang Out interaction, no Play.

I have two other files I edited too, as previously stated, and if you need those too I can post them as well. I'm clearly doing something wrong and can't quite put my finger on it.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  monkeybars.zip (2.3 KB, 14 downloads) - View custom content
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#13 Old 31st Jan 2016 at 3:15 AM
You have a syntax error in there, the tag in line 323 is not closed (possibly others as well). That kind of thing can easily lead to the game not reading it at all and thus, no interaction being available.

What are you doing your edits with? You should use something that has syntax check built in or available via plugin, to avoid this kind of thing. (E.g. Notepad++ which is free and has an OK-ish XML Tools plugin)

Also, you already have skill_loot_data for the motor skill, you don't really need the dynamic skill gain on top of that .. is there a specific reason for that?

In case the game doesn't support gaining two skills at once (I don't know), maybe make a separate interaction that tests for the child skill to be maxed out and has fitness skill gain.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#14 Old 31st Jan 2016 at 9:40 AM
I am using either Sims4Studio or Notepad.

I was just trying to follow the violin skill, which is why I put it in there.

How exactly would I make a separate interaction? Is that a script mod?
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#15 Old 31st Jan 2016 at 10:59 AM
Separate interaction would mean you copy the existing one, give it a new name + ID, and add it to the interactions list(s) on the object. You can script that -- if you want to upload it that would be a good idea, since you wouldn't even have to override the monkeybars if you're OK with a separate interaction being visible -- but you can also do that by overriding the monkeybar tuning (and whatever else lists the monkeybar interactions).

But I'd first check whether it works if you repair the existing file. Looking into a different editor would be a good move, I don't think Notepad is suitable for coding.

Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#16 Old 31st Jan 2016 at 12:38 PM
I fixed the file and it works now, thanks!
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 31st Jan 2016 at 8:27 PM
If you want to unlock athletic only after the motor skill is at max, you need to edit statistic_Skill_Child_Motor (0x4150) and add an skill_unlocks_on_max attribute. Look at the other child skills (statistic_Skill_Child_Creativity, statistic_Skill_Child_Mental, or statistic_Skill_Child_Social) to see how to do it.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#18 Old 31st Jan 2016 at 10:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DarkWalker
If you want to unlock athletic only after the motor skill is at max, you need to edit statistic_Skill_Child_Motor (0x4150) and add an skill_unlocks_on_max attribute. Look at the other child skills (statistic_Skill_Child_Creativity, statistic_Skill_Child_Mental, or statistic_Skill_Child_Social) to see how to do it.

I know already, this thread has been solved.
Test Subject
#19 Old 17th Jul 2020 at 3:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by claudiasharon
I know already, this thread has been solved.

Uhmmm i'm very late but can you please post the mod here?
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#20 Old 17th Jul 2020 at 11:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jovi1
Uhmmm i'm very late but can you please post the mod here?

I posted it on my tumblr which is in my sig, but it needs to be updated for the latest patch.