Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

No More Culling (V3)

by Dark Gaia Posted 13th Jan 2015 at 1:39 AM - Updated 14th Jun 2015 at 7:52 PM by Dark Gaia

256 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 150 Feedback Posts, 105 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 4 of 11
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#76 Old 27th Mar 2015 at 11:02 PM
Updated already?! I love you!
Top Secret Researcher
THANKS POST
#77 Old 27th Mar 2015 at 11:12 PM
Thank you so much for updating this so quickly! You're amazing, and a game saver! Out of all the mods that need updating this is the only one I was afraid to play without! Ty :D
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#78 Old 27th Mar 2015 at 11:27 PM
You're amazing, thank you
Forum Resident
THANKS POST
#79 Old 28th Mar 2015 at 12:10 AM
Updated already! Thank so much!
Mad Poster
THANKS POST
#80 Old 28th Mar 2015 at 12:20 AM
I've been at 179 for days... can't wait to see what happens when the next batch of newbies gets generated. Thanks for this!
Lab Assistant
#81 Old 28th Mar 2015 at 12:32 AM
Just a note from the Sims 4 forums - people who tested loading a backup save with the updated mod still got an initial cull: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/dis...omment_13465161
Forum Resident
#82 Old 28th Mar 2015 at 1:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by shelleny
Just a note from the Sims 4 forums - people who tested loading a backup save with the updated mod still got an initial cull: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/dis...omment_13465161

Yeah, it culls for me still.

Between 6 am - 7 am. I was at the park and literally all of the sims walked off the lot to be culled.

My Simblr --->Glee & Squee
Test Subject
#83 Old 28th Mar 2015 at 2:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by H.O.W
Yeah, it culls for me still.

Between 6 am - 7 am. I was at the park and literally all of the sims walked off the lot to be culled.

Me too My population went from over 300 to 60 within five minutes of loading the game.
Test Subject
#84 Old 28th Mar 2015 at 3:26 AM
Well, i'm really loosing my interest in sims 4. It didn't work for me as well, so we just have to wait. Hope you found out a way to fix this culling thing. Good luck.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#85 Old 28th Mar 2015 at 5:43 AM
Hi everyone. Unfortunately it doesn't look like I can do much to stop the initial culling that happens upon loading the game (it's not a Story Progression action, so it must be some new function introduced with the patch), but it will prevent any future culling just as it did before.

I will look into this issue and see what I can do.

P.S please make sure you have downloaded and are using the V2 version of the file. The original version, which was left online for people who have chosen not to update yet, will NOT work.
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#86 Old 28th Mar 2015 at 2:10 PM
Thanks, Dark Gaia, I have installed V2. I consider this one of the most necessary mods.
Lab Assistant
#87 Old 28th Mar 2015 at 4:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Dark Gaia
Hi everyone. Unfortunately it doesn't look like I can do much to stop the initial culling that happens upon loading the game (it's not a Story Progression action, so it must be some new function introduced with the patch), but it will prevent any future culling just as it did before.

I will look into this issue and see what I can do.

P.S please make sure you have downloaded and are using the V2 version of the file. The original version, which was left online for people who have chosen not to update yet, will NOT work.

Thanks! Will it do that cull *every* time a save is loaded, or just the first time post-patch?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#88 Old 28th Mar 2015 at 5:31 PM
Hi guys. I have a temporary (and rather fiddly) workaround that will disable the culling action in the game's Python files, thus preventing the culling that happens when you load the game.

Unfortunately, I'm running blind when it comes to Python and scripting, so I haven't yet found a way to inject this modified code into the game short of directly replacing the game's core files. The only file I've edited is the Story Progression/Actions.pyo file, so it's rather heavy handed to replace the game's entire Python database just for one small change.

If you don't mind doing this, however, please download the attached file, rename it to "simulation.zip" and then paste it in the Data/Simulation/Gameplay folder in your game's installation directory, being sure to back up the original "simulation.zip" first!

I will continue to search for a way to add this code into a standard mod. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable in Python will be able to help me.

Happy Simming!
Attached files:
File Type: zip  simulation.zip (3.53 MB, 47 downloads)
Lab Assistant
#89 Old 28th Mar 2015 at 7:32 PM
I'm confused since I haven't seen this new culling myself and don't know how it works. Does it essentially make the mod useless by doing it every time the game is loaded, or is there still a reason to use this after the patch?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#90 Old 28th Mar 2015 at 7:55 PM
It seems that every time the game is loaded, it will now trigger a culling action if the population in your game is above the 180 Sim limit. It seems to favour dead Sims, so it will unfortunately purge your entire family tree if you're far enough into a game.

This mod will prevent the normal culling actions from firing as you play, but the new culling that happens on load kind of makes that useless. As such, I need to go beyond a simple XML mod and use scripting to disable the culling function in the game's coding itself.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#91 Old 28th Mar 2015 at 8:55 PM
Alright, thanks for clearing that up and for trying to find a workaround. That's pretty unfortunate since I definitely considered this to be an essential mod and I'm sure others did too ;_;
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#92 Old 28th Mar 2015 at 9:50 PM
Thank you!!!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#93 Old 28th Mar 2015 at 10:59 PM
As I read some discussion about that.. This is really a must have. But may this should be extended with some few parameters to reduce townies creation ?
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#94 Old 28th Mar 2015 at 11:12 PM
Your workaround seems to be working great for me ... thanks for your hard work on this.
Test Subject
#95 Old 29th Mar 2015 at 1:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by JakeC0001
As I read some discussion about that.. This is really a must have. But may this should be extended with some few parameters to reduce townies creation ?

There's a mod for that: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=535110
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#96 Old 29th Mar 2015 at 7:00 AM
If I physically delete useless townies or townies that are ugly to keep the population under control, will I ever need to use this mod?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#97 Old 29th Mar 2015 at 7:11 AM
Thanks to Scumbumbo and Deaderpool, I have succeeded in "culling" the culling action (if you will) via scripting. Please download the new V3 version of the mod.

@mineowyn: Deleting townies manually and using Shimrod's Reduced Townie mod will postpone the culling, yes. However, as the game considers dead Sims to count towards the 180 limit, you'll still eventually trigger the culling as dead relatives and neighbours pile up. Depending on whether you like long family trees, this could be an issue as the game will cull these dead Sims and decimate your family tree.
Top Secret Researcher
THANKS POST
#98 Old 29th Mar 2015 at 8:13 AM
Awesome! You are amazing, and Scumbumbo and Deaderpool as well!
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#99 Old 29th Mar 2015 at 8:55 AM
Thank you so much
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#100 Old 29th Mar 2015 at 2:27 PM
Thanks When using the V3, do I need to keep the new simulation file I downloaded from you or restore the old one?
Page 4 of 11