Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Nov 2016 at 4:25 PM
Default CAW - Allowing for Snow and Houseboats Question
I was wondering if anyone could help me? I am building a low-lying coastal world (based on the New England area in the US) that is intended to have a winter season as well on a 100 height map. I am trying to put in some port lots and I'm having a hard time deciding how high the base terrain level of the cliffs should be. I've looked at several EA world heightmaps that do not get the grey snow bug on lots during winter snow, but the hex values do not translate very well to a 100 height map since they are all 300. On a 300 map you can have the land as low as #111111 without the grey snow fade. Also for a 100 world around #181818 seems to be the depth that terrain painting will still show underwater, is this deep enough for houseboats? Does anyone know offhand what minimum depth they require? I was hoping to have some harbor areas where fairly high terrain meets the sea, so I would prefer not to only use beach lots as ports.

I have had to start the map over a few times and I'm finally happy with the shape but I would like to get the heights right before I spend too much more time on sculpting. I'm just hoping someone has already tested this out and could share their findings? I thought I would try out asking before making a tiny test world to check a few depths.
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 19th Nov 2016 at 9:00 PM
How do you get those numbers? I can check but I usually use at least 200 height map for exact those reasons.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 21st Nov 2016 at 12:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Vincent T.
How do you get those numbers? I can check but I usually use at least 200 height map for exact those reasons.

Yeah I may use 200 to make it easier, I wanted 100 to save processing power since I'm not planning any mountains. It was worth a shot seeing if anyone had already checked, I am going to try out a few guesses on a tiny world next chance I get.

I pulled a few vaules from the banks of EA made worlds with okay looking snow that seems to be the lowest that worked (the lake in Midnight Hollow, there were some beaches with fairly low land in Isla but it's hard to say where it goes grey looking at the heightmap.) with the number for the terrain depth I dropped it a few levels in photoshop and reimported the map until I could just barely see the terrain paint in the water. The problem I've run into is having a higher base height for the world so I could sculpt up or down as needed but know the bulk would be high enough is it has made high cliffs where I do not have a beach. (I was hoping to do a harbor where the land even drops off into the sea, but after allowing 23 spaces for the gangway there's a lot of stairs down to the dock.)