Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Apr 2020 at 10:52 PM
Default Finally got Sims 4
I actually got it for $5. I was purchasing two Sims 3 stuff packs at the EA site and they offered TS4 base game for $5 and I thought...why not? Especially since I heard they'd included the toddler stage.

I'd done the 48-hour free trial (before toddlers) and said that if it went down to $10 I'd consider it.

I love the toddler stage, they're so much more independent than TS2 and TS3 toddlers. Cute little buggers too. I like having the toddler beds, plus the fact that they can put themselves to bed...and sit on the couch and eat cereal. And crawl up and down stairs. (I was climbing on the countertops when I was a preschooler.)

Getting used to buy/build mode. I have yet to figure out how to make the walls different heights...still poking around with it at this point and once I've played vanilla for a while I'll be looking into mods.

Who is Q? qanon.pub
Advertisement
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#2 Old 27th Apr 2020 at 1:23 AM
I was just going through the tutorials. I also downloaded the MCCC mod. (I found out it works if you put the script and package files in different Mod subfolders and turn on Scripts in the game options menu.)

Downloading a few packs now--Seasons, Parenthood, and Laundry Day. Origin has a special, bundle an expansion, game, and stuff pack for a discount. So--why not?

I can't get over how cute the toddlers are, so glad they decided to include them! I have to laugh at how, when they have a nightmare, the first thing they do is go wake up Mommy and Daddy.

Who is Q? qanon.pub
Mad Poster
#3 Old 27th Apr 2020 at 4:00 AM
Glad you are enjoying the game but lose the Trump avatar please. This is not the place for politics.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 30th Apr 2020 at 6:23 PM
If it's not the place for politics then don't bring it up. I've had it for the past couple of years. Don't like it, oh well. Ignore it.

Who is Q? qanon.pub
Mad Poster
#5 Old 30th Apr 2020 at 6:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AlexandraSpears
If it's not the place for politics then don't bring it up. I've had it for the past couple of years. Don't like it, oh well. Ignore it.

I will also ignore any future requests you have for any help in this game.
Smeg Head
#6 Old 30th Apr 2020 at 7:18 PM
Enjoys both Trump and TS4 Toddlers, eh? Okay. Each to their own. Just don't try to wash out the toddlers with Disinfectant if they get the Coronavirus. Not good.

"Become a government informer. Betray your family and friends. Fabulous prizes to be won!" Red Dwarf - Back to Reality.

Find all my TS4 mods and lots here: Main Website - simsasylum.com My Section - coolspear's Mods & Lots
Instructor
#7 Old 18th May 2020 at 1:02 AM
I think a lot of us are still just getting started with TS4 lol the toddlers sound really cool but i hope they fixed the babies crying because it sounds very robot like that i've heard from videos.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 5th Aug 2020 at 8:30 PM
OMG I just started playing Sims 4 myself. I have actually had it, and many packs for years. But I was so devoted to my open world, I just never bothered installing anything. Aaanywho.. TODDLERS! Yes! These are by far the best toddlers of all the games so far in my opinion. I usually dislike babies most, then toddlers, then children, in that order. I just don't like playing with them. But while I still find toddlers exasperating to deal with, in Sims 4 they actually are CUTE! I actually get some pleasure out of watching them do stuff! I am very surprised how well EA did on them. The interactions are so immersive.

Oh look! I can pass right by this table and eat at that desk way over there!!!
Instructor
#9 Old 6th Aug 2020 at 1:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee

Shiver me timbers, Batman! How will they ever bear the loss?

Seriously. You're having this reaction because of an avatar picture? I had a really high opinion of you up until now.

A fool and his money are soon parted. ~ Thomas Tusser
Inventor
#10 Old 6th Aug 2020 at 2:23 AM
Yes, toddlers is definitely one of the things they got right in The Sims 4. I enjoy how independent they are from adult Sims. I like playing with large families, but I don't enjoy how toddlers need to be taken care of so much in 2 and 3 (in TS2 they're unbearable; in 3 at least you can put them in the playpen and be done with them). I also love the interactions they have with pets of all sizes, something TS3 is lacking (and TS2 only has like 2).

Field Researcher
#11 Old 7th Aug 2020 at 2:06 PM
To get you started, for EP I recommend Seasons, Discover University, and Get Famous. For SP, I recommend Laundry Day Stuff Pack. The rest EP/SP will disappoint you if you have ever played sims 2 / 3.
Inventor
#12 Old 7th Aug 2020 at 6:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kompaktive
To get you started, for EP I recommend Seasons, Discover University, and Get Famous. For SP, I recommend Laundry Day Stuff Pack. The rest EP/SP will disappoint you if you have ever played sims 2 / 3.

I know some people don't like it, but I personally found City Living to be quite satisfying. It gave me a little bit of the "open world" I was craving through festivals and larger open areas than the average TS4 neighborhood. I also LOVE the singing skill and how you can sing while playing piano or other instruments.
Scholar
#13 Old 7th Aug 2020 at 6:47 PM
No mention of Parenthood, but if you like families it adds some feeling of connection to the game.
Field Researcher
#14 Old 8th Aug 2020 at 12:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Citysim
No mention of Parenthood, but if you like families it adds some feeling of connection to the game.

I have mixed feeling about Parenthood GP. I love how your sims can form your children's behavior. What I dislike a bit is how easy is to teach them good behavior and very hard to teach them bad behaviour. I left my kid untouched and he just become responsible young adult because that autonomous go to school and do homework. Well everything seems to always end in happy ending in sims 4, isn't it?
Field Researcher
#15 Old 8th Aug 2020 at 1:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee

Wow, Your bigortry is showing.
Scholar
#16 Old 8th Aug 2020 at 1:25 PM
I feel like the way they've broken up gameplay between expansions, game, and stuff packs is a double-edged sword. On the one hand, I really appreciate not having to add vampires and laundry to my game if I don't want to, but on the other hand it's annoying that Parenthood, Toddlers, and Kid's Bedroom are 3 separate packs.

The Mayflies Legacy- a Random Legacy Story
Scholar
#17 Old 8th Aug 2020 at 3:02 PM
I would also like to consolidate Perfect Patio, Romantic Garden, and Backyard Stuff into one pack... Maybe we could call it Garden Stuff? Outdoor Stuff? Just spitballing here...

The Mayflies Legacy- a Random Legacy Story
Inventor
#18 Old 8th Aug 2020 at 4:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tunafishfish
I would also like to consolidate Perfect Patio, Romantic Garden, and Backyard Stuff into one pack... Maybe we could call it Garden Stuff? Outdoor Stuff? Just spitballing here...

Perfect Patio should've been part of Spa Day. Hot tubs fit really well the rest of the wellness and spa stuff. The furniture looks quite similar.

Romantic Garden fits Get Together really well. Most of the objects have some Greco-Latin design and so do a lot of objects in Get Together.

Backyard Stuff could've been part of Parenthood.
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 13th Aug 2020 at 4:07 AM
I see a lot of you here praising the toddlers in Sims 3, but I have to disagree. Toddler is a life stage between 1-3 years. It's the stage where child learns how to walk and talk. Not a life stage that already walk and improve their speech. That's what preschoolers do. True, EA still mixed in some toddler characteristics here, so they don't even feel as realistic preschoolers, but they are still more preschoolers than toddlers. Most of you, I see, don't mind this diversion from realism and some may even welcome it, but I can't. I want back the toddlers I learn to walk, talk and put to sleep in a crib, because that's how toddlers are IRL. True, the skip from these big babies to schoolkids in Sims 2 and 3 was a little too big, which is why we still need the preschool life stage in Sims, but not at the expense of toddlers and even less actually calling them toddlers. So, that's my opinion on toddlers in Sims 4, for which I probably get a lot of hate.
Inventor
#20 Old 13th Aug 2020 at 7:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by peno
I see a lot of you here praising the toddlers in Sims 3, but I have to disagree. Toddler is a life stage between 1-3 years. It's the stage where child learns how to walk and talk. Not a life stage that already walk and improve their speech. That's what preschoolers do. True, EA still mixed in some toddler characteristics here, so they don't even feel as realistic preschoolers, but they are still more preschoolers than toddlers. Most of you, I see, don't mind this diversion from realism and some may even welcome it, but I can't. I want back the toddlers I learn to walk, talk and put to sleep in a crib, because that's how toddlers are IRL. True, the skip from these big babies to schoolkids in Sims 2 and 3 was a little too big, which is why we still need the preschool life stage in Sims, but not at the expense of toddlers and even less actually calling them toddlers. So, that's my opinion on toddlers in Sims 4, for which I probably get a lot of hate.

I understand what you're saying and I agree we should have BOTH toddlers and pre-schoolers. But if I had to choose one, I'd go with toddlers as they did them in 4 (3-5 yo; i.e. pre-schoolers). I just find it really exhausting to play with toddlers in TS2 and 3.

I disagree that teaching a toddler to walk, talk, etc. is realistic. That's not how toddlers learn. You can't ACTIVELY teach them those abilities, they learn them passively through time and exposure. Teach to use the potty is a different thing. That actually makes sense to be something you actively teach a toddler to do.
Instructor
#21 Old 13th Aug 2020 at 12:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Naus Allien
I understand what you're saying and I agree we should have BOTH toddlers and pre-schoolers. But if I had to choose one, I'd go with toddlers as they did them in 4 (3-5 yo; i.e. pre-schoolers). I just find it really exhausting to play with toddlers in TS2 and 3.

I disagree that teaching a toddler to walk, talk, etc. is realistic. That's not how toddlers learn. You can't ACTIVELY teach them those abilities, they learn them passively through time and exposure. Teach to use the potty is a different thing. That actually makes sense to be something you actively teach a toddler to do.

I agree that the Toddler stage should be after the baby stage from 2 to 5 years as it makes the game much simpler and anything else is just for the real baby fans. I just make toddlers with a complete family from grandparents to babies, move on to another family and hope they've grown up by the time I get back to them. Usually there are a couple of urns at the house door too!
As far as I can see toddlers learn to walk by parents encouraging them when they tried to get up, use walkabout toys and stretch out their arms from a distance so that toddlers can walk into them. Reading and talking skills are learnt by reading them picture books and pointing out words on the page as they go.
You only have to look at those poor children left behind in orphanages in Europe who are rocking themselves back and forwards to see what no love and encouragement and parental teaching can do.

I missed out on pre-schooling, entering primary school after my 5th birthday but could already read and write a bit I remember that day with perfect clarity, even the smell too, with all the doors in rainbow colours and the class already on the letter O in the alphabet. Didn't take me long to catch up and walk to school on my own a bit later, as it was close by. We didn't have the fear after WW2 that parents seem to have now.