Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Aug 2020 at 6:12 PM
Default Few TS3-era questions
Okay I have a few questions, sorry, and I don't know if anyone can answer them. But they don't seem like the sort of thing you'll know naturally, so I'm asking you experts.
  • "Thanks to" University Life it is possibly for Sims to dance Gangnam Style. But what I can't figure out if it's possible thanks to World Adventures for Sims to walk like an Egyptian. Can the mummies do it? This seems like a very EA thing for there to be in the game.
  • Does anyone remember The Sims Social? Does it still exist? I don't know that Facebook peaked circa 2012-3 but I feel like it does and that's why I remember that Sims game being on it. Is it still there? I'd go and check but I'm not on Facebook anymore due to the things that happened between it and everyone else.
  • Was the game actually good or did we just project our hopes and wishes onto it? I've always felt TS3 was very much along the lines of what I personally wanted it to be, but then surely other people would feel the same. So who's really doing the heavy lifting in the TS3-player relationship?
  • The hours we all spent in the game, did they mean anything? I don't mean were they wasted in an existential sense, I mean did we learn anything.

Thanks for your time everyone, I really look forward to playing again later today. I think I'll really vibe with it. If not, then I won't be expecting a refund from EA but I'd certainly like a refund on my positive energy that I poured into the game.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 17th Aug 2020 at 9:18 PM Last edited by LittleCheshire : 17th Aug 2020 at 9:29 PM.
"Thanks to" University Life it is possible for Sims to dance Gangnam Style. But what I can't figure out if it's possible thanks to World Adventures for Sims to walk like an Egyptian. Can the mummies do it? This seems like a very EA thing for there to be in the game.

I'm not completely sure, but I really do think the answer to this question is yes. Why? It's locked into my subconscious, I can feel it; my subconscious knows why the answer is yes but I consciously do not.

Does anyone remember The Sims Social? Does it still exist? I don't know that Facebook peaked circa 2012-3 but I feel like it does and that's why I remember that Sims game being on it. Is it still there? I'd go and check but I'm not on Facebook anymore due to the things that happened between it and everyone else. Was the game actually good or did we just project our hopes and wishes onto it? I've always felt TS3 was very much along the lines of what I personally wanted it to be, but then surely other people would feel the same. So who's really doing the heavy lifting in the TS3-player relationship?

Honestly Pi, you just gave me a fuckin' heart attack man. So it turns out I didn't hallucinate that game? Well, then. As for it being good; I wouldn't say that. It wasn't good but it was definitely decent. Decent enough for me to go nuts searching for it on Facebook for at least 1 1/2 before giving up and assuming it was all a fever dream.

The hours we all spent in the game, did they mean anything? I don't mean were they wasted in an existential sense, I mean did we learn anything.

Absolutely no fuckin' idea my dude. I was just vibing back then and I'm still just vibing now. Which suggests that I haven't learned a got damn thing about anythin'.

Oh c'mon. There better be a point to all this stress I'm under.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 17th Aug 2020 at 11:23 PM
The Sims Social shut (shat?) down eventually.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 17th Aug 2020 at 11:49 PM
It was shit, and now it's shut.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Field Researcher
#6 Old 18th Aug 2020 at 4:57 AM
Just like Project Vie?
Field Researcher
#7 Old 18th Aug 2020 at 4:57 AM
jk lol (or am i)
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 18th Aug 2020 at 1:34 PM
There were actually two sims game called The Sims Social to my knowledge. One of them is the one that went on facebook while another was a mini-game that was on the sims 3 website shortly after the game was released. Though I think it didn't stay for very long.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 18th Aug 2020 at 3:50 PM
Sims may not be able to walk like an Egyptian, but I can.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Mad Poster
#11 Old 18th Aug 2020 at 7:30 PM
I prefer to walk like a Lithuanian.
(not really sure where I was going with this, just making conversation...)
Field Researcher
#12 Old 19th Aug 2020 at 12:21 AM
I kinda just gimp along, thanks to a bum hip.

I think my niece was playing some sort of Sims FB game not too long ago. So I gave her my old Sims 2 CDs, found a few more at a thrift store and haven't hooked her into CC....yet *muwhahahahaa*

As for time wasted? Pfft. Time spent on this game, and the other iterations - time well spent, even if new curse words are invented. Like @nitromon said, I, too, am sometimes more invested in my sims than real people. Even more so if I'm... partaking in some herbal recreation, if'n ya get my drift.

Dead Ringers
Discord: RedBaroness13
Mad Poster
#13 Old 19th Aug 2020 at 12:23 AM Last edited by jje1000 : 19th Aug 2020 at 2:59 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by AGuyCalledPi
Okay I have a few questions, sorry, and I don't know if anyone can answer them. But they don't seem like the sort of thing you'll know naturally, so I'm asking you experts.
  • Was the game actually good or did we just project our hopes and wishes onto it? I've always felt TS3 was very much along the lines of what I personally wanted it to be, but then surely other people would feel the same. So who's really doing the heavy lifting in the TS3-player relationship?
  • The hours we all spent in the game, did they mean anything? I don't mean were they wasted in an existential sense, I mean did we learn anything.

Thanks for your time everyone, I really look forward to playing again later today. I think I'll really vibe with it. If not, then I won't be expecting a refund from EA but I'd certainly like a refund on my positive energy that I poured into the game.

1. )The Sims 3 encapsulates the duality of being amazingly ambitious in some areas, and having some very frustrating shortcomings in other areas.

Have you seen any other point-and-click domestic open world life simulator out there at the moment, with the scale and diversity of the Sims 3? I doubt so! And yet this is a game that's sort of lacking graphically out of the box, with some major mods further required to make it function properly.

The best comparison I might make is Fallout New Vegas- buggy and lacking in some parts, but amazing in many other areas.

That being said, there are some features that are unfortunately locked in the main engine, which can never really be fixed (unlike some other games)- limiting its moddability compared to some games which get continuously remastered or heavily modded by the community over the years.

2.) I think the most fruitful relationship with TS3 is one which you can parley to develop skillsets and skillstacks to utilize in other parts of your life- i.e. learning how to mod (learning coding), or making CC (modelling software, PS, etc.). Even machinima makes you learn how to manipulate audio and video- all skills that can be expanded with enough attention.

However, this does mean that you're forced to explore beyond the game- the game's features themselves aren't really shared on other platforms.
Scholar
#14 Old 19th Aug 2020 at 2:02 AM
I regularly walk like an Egyptian mummy. First thing in the morning, whilst I shuffle about looking for my spectacles. And then I stub my toe painfully on a chair leg and dance about on one foot for a bit, uttering obscure and unprintable curses. Seriously, I'm sure had a mod installed once that allowed sims to walk like a mummy, run like a vampire, and even swim on dry land. I think it was called Locomotion Changer. Sadly they couldn't dance about on one foot cursing in Simlish. That would have been relatable, not to mention entertaining (to watch) but you can't have everything I suppose.

Well, you know, I'm rather too young to remember Sims Social. Really. Well, okay then, I came rather late to the internet and I only heard about it after it had become more or less defunct. I've never had a Facebook account and never will. I'd never been a social kind of person, and for a long time was content with playing The Sims, Sim 2 and Sims 3 in quiet off-line seclusion.

As for whether I've wasted my time playing TS3, well, I can think of a lot of worse things to waste time on. I've enjoyed myself certainly. And if the game is far from perfect it has brought a lot of people together into a world wide community, inspired the creativity of countless thousands, and challenged modders to fix or improve things EA never bothered to fix or improve.

Legend is history as we would like it to be. We pick through the dusts of time for what is worth keeping and, here and there, we occasionally find treasure.

Simblr: Elyndaworld *** Wordpress: Tales of Nantrelor
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#15 Old 19th Aug 2020 at 11:02 PM
I'm glad I'm not as high as I was when I wrote this post or I'd be screaming. I wasn't expecting anyone to seriously answer the stuff I asked about....

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#16 Old 26th Aug 2020 at 2:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
I prefer to walk like a Lithuanian.
(not really sure where I was going with this, just making conversation...)

@igazor Huh? 0_o Tu čia apie mane?

ETA: Speaking of walk style, why not have all Shang Simlans walk/behave like Imaginary Friends.

Mad Poster
#17 Old 26th Aug 2020 at 4:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
@igazor Huh? 0_o Tu čia apie mane?

Ne. I could say that I just chose Lithuania randomly or to make it alliterate a bit with "like" in that sentence. Actually though, my people (great grandparents) are from there or at least from the area that is now that country so that's probably why it popped into my head. But they wouldn't have spoken much Lithuanian as they did have a different language and I had to use Google Translate to even see what you were asking.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 28th Aug 2020 at 11:33 PM
Oh that's cool. Least thing to expect someone have ancestors from there, but alright. Rarely people acknowledge it as a country anyways, lol.

Test Subject
#19 Old 29th Aug 2020 at 12:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AGuyCalledPi
  • "Thanks to" University Life it is possibly for Sims to dance Gangnam Style. But what I can't figure out if it's possible thanks to World Adventures for Sims to walk like an Egyptian. Can the mummies do it? This seems like a very EA thing for there to be in the game.
  • Does anyone remember The Sims Social? Does it still exist? I don't know that Facebook peaked circa 2012-3 but I feel like it does and that's why I remember that Sims game being on it. Is it still there? I'd go and check but I'm not on Facebook anymore due to the things that happened between it and everyone else.

I started playing Sims 3 back a couple years ago in beginning of 2018.

For the first 3 months or so of playing, I mainly projected my hopes and wishes (particularly things I wanted to do in the past but couldn't). This was with my 1st Generation sims, which were mainly CAS-created. However, later on, due to issues with the map of Bridgeport (it was original one, though, which I started out with only community lots), I had to port my sims to another world.

This ended up being Legend Isles; an empty map aside from a basic downtown area. From there on, shortly as I began my 2nd Generation, the game started to get better. That is, it began to trend away from mainly projected hopes & wishes and toward more of an open world rpg/fantasy type of game (my favorite game genre). This was when I took one of my starting 1st Gen couples on a Life Fruit quest via a trip (their first adopted son had died via drowning, and I wanted to find a way to revive him). Then, afterward, for Legend Isles, I built a catacombs (one different from the typical cemeteries) since it did not come with a graveyard. World Adventures and Supernatural are two expansions that I feel do well to add some RPG/fantasy element.

I now see the game as closer to an openworld type of RPG where I do various quests (in this case, what I refer to as series). I have Final Fantasy 15, and I notice some aspects in that game similar to Sims 3 such as the open world and skills (e.g. cooking, fishing). NRAAs Story Progression adds quite a storyline element for me as well.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 30th Aug 2020 at 3:54 AM
That last one on existentialism? You can ponder the countless hours spent on the game, any content you downloaded and installed and used, the stories you made with any storytelling mods, the add-ons you bought and played with...

...but in the end, it's just a game and the biggest question is, "Did you have any fun playing with these beings?" "Did you enjoy riding out the seemingly short lives together as their God?" "Did it evoke any emotions like joy and sorrow as you played through the moments of their lives?" And as an added bonus "Did the open world seem like freedom from previous installments?"

I have been playing TS3 Since 2011, still play it during any free time.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)