Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th May 2016 at 12:28 AM Last edited by PlainOldGuy24 : 27th May 2016 at 12:39 AM.
Default OMG RE:Japan
OMG.
I'm in Texas & native born though I lived various places in my childhood. I have driven between New York, Florida, California, British Columbia, (yes South Dakota, Utah, New Mexico), Japan, .. also Germany & others. I've been pulled over in the Middle East where the cop could just translate "You drive fast". He saw I was American, and didn't bother with the ticket. Well, I was passing 18-wheelers by just enough extra speed... I learned to drive the EEC in Germany. In Egypt they use much the same in conventions but especially for the "don't cause a collision rule."

But I'm on a Japan kick. In Japan the road signs are mixed. I hear just now Japan is considering a US Red Octagonal Stop Sign instead of the US (in this US case amber Triangular "Yield Right-of-Way" currently shaped stop sign.. OMG refers to the fact that Texans seem to think road signs are just suggestions and can't see when driving what's happening more than 40 feet in front of them.
To the point...
I'm making a Japanese oriented CAW world and need new road signs. The toughest type seems to be the circular sign as in "No Passing" for a one-lane-for-each-direction road which is squarish, blue, with a white arrow pointed up on your side and a red arrow pointed down for the on-coming traffic side. (Sides reversed for UK and Japan).

So far what's happening.. I did (after seeing other EA road signs) in "Milkshape" from scratch a similar (tall thin box) "post" [centered around X = +/- 0.055, Z=+/- 0.055], top & bottom similar] ... then after experimenting did a 1 layer (about 3/16 inches thick assuming 1 square width = 1 meter -more or less-) cylinder for the sign face. I don't like that all the "pie pieces" of the cylinder that converge at the center so I'm working on inserting a 4x4 "box (removing all the tops & sides)" square in the center of the (up to this point semi-wide) cylinder.

I'm using the TSR thing for now to keep it together (Reference this "Riccinumbers_TheBeginnersGuideToMeshing.pdf").. but It didn't exactly work out (OK half-way I sorta followed directions) Still cranking It out but..

Here's the question...
What if you wanted (1) a "post" to hang signs on... If you want (2) a single post followed by (2a) signs to hang on the post (2b) same signs, but hanged on a wall? Is this a possibility?
Advertisement
Site Helper
#2 Old 27th May 2016 at 4:54 AM
I'm not a mesher, so I may not be giving you the correct advice here. But as I understand it, your project sounds like it would be feasible but possibly complicated.

If you want to fiddle with adding a slot to a signpost and making signs that can sit on the slot, that would be one way to work it. (Although you might need separate signs for the wall. Those would just be new wall hangings if you do need to make them separately.)

Or, you can get an OMSP and make a sign that can be set on one and will sit toward the edge of it. Raise the OMSP to the proper height and put it where you want it. The post would then just be a separate decorative mesh. This would require anybody who uses it to have OMSPs, but it's an option.

You might have people with other, better, ideas in Modding Discussion (under the Create tab. Or in chat.)

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Mad Poster
#3 Old 27th May 2016 at 12:05 PM
Sounds interesting- I would probably go with the sign as one object rather than individual pieces.

Also, some images of the sign you have in mind would be useful
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 31st May 2016 at 8:15 PM
Default RE: images
[IMG]Some examples of Japanese signs[/IMG]
A whole slew came from Wikipedia as a reference, but I'll have to basically redo them to get them sized and in DXT format.
Attached Images

Mad Poster
#5 Old 31st May 2016 at 8:25 PM
I think a lot of those signs are already in the game, you just need to recolor them.

For instance, the circle sign should have come in Monte Vista while the yield sign is in the base game.

I would just get those meshes from the game files and continue from there.
Instructor
#6 Old 31st May 2016 at 9:23 PM
I'm pretty sure I've seen the sign on the right in the game.
Site Helper
#7 Old 2nd Jun 2016 at 1:22 AM
The blue circle could be done as a separate preset for the red circle. (Easily managed with Texture Tweaker.)

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Instructor
#8 Old 15th Jun 2016 at 9:45 AM
If the signs already exist in the game (I think they do, but I have not played for an age), then it is simply a matter of re-texturing. No need to make a bunch of separate items -- just the sign on the post. A sign on the wall is a simple project as well: there are several ways to go about it. One would be to find your roadsign, remove the post (a very simple meshing project -- in fact this would be a good first mesh project), then you need to modify the settings so it can be like a pictures. The second way would be to find a suitable painting and retexture it. The third way would be to do real simple meshes, a flat circle for the round signs and a flat square/rectangle for other signs. Then clone a similar item (like a painting) and do a mesh and texture replacement.

So, to answer you question: yes it can be done. It is actually a very simple project.