Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
#26 Old 16th Dec 2005 at 5:21 PM Last edited by Mage : 16th Dec 2005 at 5:48 PM.
Thanks for this great info. But I'm trying to get to the first tutorial and I keep getting the message that it can't be located. Is there another link to it?
Advertisement
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#27 Old 17th Dec 2005 at 3:15 PM
Seems to be loading fine for me Mage, you may have just caught it during a period of downtime. If you're still having trouble getting it PM me and I'll email you a copy.
Field Researcher
#28 Old 17th Dec 2005 at 8:55 PM
Thanks, I'm getting there ok today.
Test Subject
#29 Old 17th Dec 2005 at 9:16 PM
Thanks for this usefull information, now my sims can see my objects for the first time, and walk around them, like they should.
Field Researcher
#30 Old 23rd Feb 2006 at 7:11 AM
Great Job! Thank You!
Hi Echo :wave:

I just wanted to say "THANK YOU" a million times over for this great tutorial! :bow: It worked GREAT on the first try. :nod: Appreciate you sharing this with us

Thanks again
Simnuts

"Mozart is sunshine" Antonin Dvorak (1841 - 1904)

See my other creations at
Simnuts Creations - Sims 3
Forum Resident
#31 Old 8th Mar 2006 at 1:08 PM
Thanks for this explanation, Echo, great work.

One question: What would I have to do if I want the Sims to be able to walk through an object? If I have a one-tile object it blocks the sims due to the abovementioned Maya model footprint. Can I set it to ignore the footprint via BHAV?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

happy simming,
Xanathon

Xanathon's Laboratory :: WishList

.: Do not harass me with requests via PM, you will only get ignored :.
.: Don't post my objects or objects derived from them on paysites or the exchange! :.
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#32 Old 8th Mar 2006 at 1:18 PM Last edited by Echo : 8th Mar 2006 at 1:26 PM.
Yup, and the process is much simpler than all the stuff above.

If you want sims to share tiles with your object (like a rug, etc) then you have to set the "allow person intersection" flag. For a full explaination, read this thread: (not just the first post, read down a few posts as well)
http://forums.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=82685
Forum Resident
#33 Old 8th Mar 2006 at 2:04 PM
My, that's what I call a fast response... :o)

Thanks a lot!

happy simming,
Xanathon

Xanathon's Laboratory :: WishList

.: Do not harass me with requests via PM, you will only get ignored :.
.: Don't post my objects or objects derived from them on paysites or the exchange! :.
Lab Assistant
#34 Old 13th Mar 2006 at 9:30 AM
Echo - Thanks for a great tutorial I wanted to ask though if you have noticed a wall intersection problem specific to footprint resized objects? I had one object which I hadn't noticed had a problem until I drew a wall through it. Playing with it and several test objects I made, I have found that every placement flag works, except the 'allow wall intersection' flag, which seems to only work on a diagonal wall. It's non-fatal, as long as there is a floor next to the wall (on terrain enable objects) and would generally go unnoticed. Anyway, it's a curiosity that may or may not have an answer. (short of importing BCONs from something else?)

I live vicariously through my Sims. This is a sad reflection on my life and theirs.
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#35 Old 15th Mar 2006 at 7:33 AM
Never noticed it myself, but then I've never tried putting walls through objects. Given that maxis objects use the Maya footprint by default, it may be that the wall checking code doesn't recognize objects resized by this technique. Still, it's a fairly minor problem (no one's noticed it before) so I don't think it's anything to worry about.
retired moderator
#36 Old 24th Mar 2006 at 7:04 AM
Echo, great tutorial.

I made a new bookcase mesh (2 tiles) and used your tut to add the additional tile. Everything worked fine. Then, I did the fix footprint tut so the Sims wouldn't walk through the bookcase. Now the bookcase ligns up properly, and the Sims don't walk through it. BUT....

Now the Sims can't get to the bookcase to get books or put them away. They act like something is in their way. Although when they walk up to the object to "Come see me", they have no problems.

Any idea? This happened after I added the behavior function for the stop walking through in the Function - Init. I've gone over the object with a fine-toothed comb and can't find anything I've done wrong or omitted. Can you help?

You gotta have faith . . .
www.Grapholina.com
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#37 Old 24th Mar 2006 at 7:50 AM Last edited by Echo : 24th Mar 2006 at 9:19 AM.
Have you tried it with testing cheats enabled, and if so, what error message did you get? My guess would be that somewhere in the interaction there's a "Go to Routing Slot" command that is checking against the footprint, but I'm not sure. I'll take a look at a bookshelf and see if I can find the problem.

Edit: Yup, it's a routing slot failure. Unfortunately, I don't know a way to fix it very easily, I fiddled around for a while and no luck.
retired moderator
#38 Old 24th Mar 2006 at 2:23 PM
A routing slot problem? Yes, I was running game with cheats enabled, and there was no error message per se. Just the Sims' thought bubble over their head. The one they get when there is something blocking their path.

Shoot. Can you tell me where this command is taking place within the file so that I can take a look? I can't find it. There has to be a way around it. :nod: Or maybe if I fiddled with the animations and reworked everything. I don't know. I'm not that familiar with SimPE and these types of problems. I guess I should have been paying more attention to this side of meshing, huh? Any help or ideas you can give me will be greatly appreciated. Maybe I can go talk to Inge, too.

Thanks, Echo.

www.Grapholina.com
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#39 Old 24th Mar 2006 at 3:11 PM
The command shows up in several interactions, (pretty much any time a sim goes up to the bookshelf,) but if you're trying things out then try importing "Interaction - Read Book" from the BookCaseGlobals. Line 4 is the offending line. I tried setting it to ignore the destination footprint, but it didn't seem to fix the problem - sims were still whinging.

What I normally do when I have to deal with irritating routing slot commands is to replace the command with a "Go To Relative Position" command that approximates its behaviour. You could try it with the bookshelf, but you'd have to see if it looked any good that way - it may not line up right.

If you want me to try it out with the substituted commands, let me know (and preferably post the object so I can make the changes in it! ).
retired moderator
#40 Old 24th Mar 2006 at 4:16 PM Last edited by Grapholina : 26th Mar 2006 at 3:23 PM.
You're an angel. I will keep trying different things myself, but in the interest of the community (ahem), I'll post the offending object for you to try as well. I've also posted in Inge's forum, but I'm not sure how often she checks her posts.

Here's the dadburn bookcase/intimidator :mad:

www.Grapholina.com
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#41 Old 25th Mar 2006 at 5:37 AM Last edited by Grapholina : 26th Mar 2006 at 3:21 PM.
New, routing-error free version is attached. The relative position change seems to have worked fine. I've fixed it for "Read book", the three "Study" options, "Read to [child]", "College Study" and "Put Away". I couldn't find any more routing commands, so that should be it.

Just a note though, this object would now (probably) be classified as a localized hack, because I had to import a few things that were global. It won't affect any of the other objects in game and the behaviour shouldn't look any different, but if Maxis changes the book case code significantly in a future EP it may not work perfectly. (That's that case with most bookcases though, so I wouldn't worry overly!)

By the way, the bookcase is gorgeous! I love the wood colour.

Echo
retired moderator
#42 Old 25th Mar 2006 at 3:59 PM Last edited by Grapholina : 25th Mar 2006 at 4:10 PM.
Thank you SO much, Echo! I got mine working to where they could "read a book" and put away, but that was it. I basically did this for study purposes, so I'll have to dig into your fixed version to see what I was missing. I hope I don't run into anything like this any time soon, though. It was enough to give me a headache.

Thank you again. I'm deleting the zipped files to make room.

Edit: Either my Internet connection is really bad at the moment or MTS2 servers are too slow, but I cannot remove the attachments. I'll wait a while and then try it again.

www.Grapholina.com
Field Researcher
#43 Old 27th Mar 2006 at 4:04 AM
Hi, I tried this and i couldn't get it to work. I always get a object out of bounds, and it won't let me place it. I made an L-shaped desk, with the L coming off to the left side of the chair. I was wondering if i coulnd't do this because sims are normally able to interact with the left side of the desk as well as the right. Also, since I need to extend the desk backwards, would I add a tile at -257? I added a pic to show you what I mean, and where there are tiles placed orgionally (I think)

Thanks
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#44 Old 27th Mar 2006 at 4:34 AM
Negative numbers in footprints are quite prone to difficulty, because in computer representation, -1 can mean both -1 and the largest possible number that can be stored, depending on whether it's reading the number using signed or unsigned notation. If it's reading it as the largest possible number, then you've actually created a footprint tile that is so far away from your table that it can't even be drawn on the map, thus the "out of bounds".

What I'd suggest is changing all the sub indices for all the tiles in your object, so instead of:
[256] [0]
[-257]
You'd have:
[257] [1]
[256]
Then just moving your mesh along in your mesh editor and reimporting it.
Field Researcher
#45 Old 27th Mar 2006 at 1:44 PM Last edited by MizzesSimmer : 28th Mar 2006 at 12:58 AM. Reason: Added to post
Alright, thanks for your time and help. I appreciate it!

***The green squares are showing properly now, and that part no longer intersects the wall, but the sims still walk through it. Could you take a look at it? I've went over it a million times and I know I followed the steps, I'm just lost.
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#46 Old 29th Mar 2006 at 8:43 AM
Sure. I can only take a look at it if you post it though!
Field Researcher
#47 Old 29th Mar 2006 at 1:13 PM
Thankyou! I started from scratch and tried again. The green squares are right, but they still walk through it. But I did notice that it looks like the arrow is pointing back into the object. I think, but I do need glasses, so I may be wrong, lol.
Thankyou so much for your help! And don't be afraid to kick my butt if I've just done something dumb, and wasted your time, lol!
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#48 Old 29th Mar 2006 at 2:21 PM
Fixed version is attached.

The problem was one that Targa discovered and explained in the previous page, although this is the first and only time I've actually seen it in an object. The footprint masks in each of the OBJDs have to be set to 0. It's all very odd really. But you can rest assured that you followed the instructions perfectly and did nothing wrong. You just got a weird object.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  NSSG-LS-EffectualOffice-Desk.zip (125.1 KB, 26 downloads)
Field Researcher
#49 Old 29th Mar 2006 at 10:03 PM
Alright, Sorry i didn't see that post! But now I understand what to do.
Thank you so so so much!
Field Researcher
#50 Old 15th Apr 2006 at 5:37 AM
Is it possible to have the sims sit on only a section of a couch? Like the 2 outer tiles of a 3 tile couch. Thanks

Please do not upload my creations to any pay sites or the exchange. Do not include my meshes with recolors. Uploading in lots is fine on MTS2 only.

Come and check out my other creations at Thesimszone. http://www.thesimszone.co.uk/files/index.php?Section=53
Page 2 of 11