Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Feb 2014 at 11:51 PM
Default Delete Cache daily is a good practice?
I just have a thought ... deleting cache files daily is a good practice? (of course, against having corrupted saves)

I have not found a solid conclusion else where, but in theory I think it cannot hurt (except longer load time) but script/data content are renewed everytime, less chance to have corruption. While at it, should I even attempt to "reset town" (through MasterController) once a day just to make sure everyone and everything is in its proper place?

I work for a living, but I don't necessarily live for a working.
Advertisement
Inventor
#2 Old 9th Feb 2014 at 12:18 AM Last edited by douglasveiga : 9th Feb 2014 at 12:30 AM.
Quote:
In computer science, a cache (/ˈkæʃ/ kash)[1] is a component that transparently stores data so that future requests for that data can be served faster. The data that is stored within a cache might be values that have been computed earlier or duplicates of original values that are stored elsewhere. If requested data is contained in the cache (cache hit), this request can be served by simply reading the cache, which is comparatively faster. Otherwise (cache miss), the data has to be recomputed or fetched from its original storage location, which is comparatively slower. Hence, the greater the number of requests that can be served from the cache, the faster the overall system performance becomes.

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cache_(computing)
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 9th Feb 2014 at 12:28 AM
Right, I am aware of how cache works. I am not saying I should delete cache while TS3 is running (as far as I know, it won't let me). I am also aware that data will have to be fetched again from its original storage, thus new cache will be created. Hence I fully understand that load time will be slower, and more hiccups will happen when new content (new sims, new lot visit) have to load.

Everyone likes performance, but I believe the top priority is safety, and I am having interest to know if deleting cache is a safe practice that will further minimizing corruption/crash/glitch/etc... So ultimately the question is: deleting cache often will enhance my safety (against TS3 being borked up, against infinite saves, against grey lots) or there is no point of doing so?

just a girl
#4 Old 9th Feb 2014 at 12:57 AM
I think it depends on how much you have mods and custom content and how often you change them. I delete the cache only when delete or add CC. Daily - it's a little too much. Although it can not hurt as far as I know.
Scholar
#5 Old 9th Feb 2014 at 1:14 AM
I think the best answer you'll get is 'maybe', since the cornucopia of game issues in TS3 has an equally vast range of causes, only some of which are fixable by deleting the cache.
Scholar
#6 Old 9th Feb 2014 at 1:22 AM
Even having a Sim take a dump is dangerous when it comes to The Sims 3. I only ask you to be careful when doing it (deleting the caches, not taking a dump). I delete it once in a while, or when I add/remove a mod. It is imperative you delete scriptcache when doing this, since it may cause problems if you don't.

I just re-read this post and got to a conclusion: english isn't my main language and I shouldn't try being funny or fancy with it.
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 9th Feb 2014 at 4:50 AM
I'm using CCMagic and I delete the caches every time before I start the game. No problems.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 9th Feb 2014 at 6:29 AM
I delete the cache every I start or end playing. No problems so far.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 9th Feb 2014 at 6:58 AM
My caches get corrupted surprisingly often, and the telltale sign is that my game refuses to load. I just delete the caches when that happens, and I'm usually fine.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 9th Feb 2014 at 7:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lewisb40
I delete the cache every I start or end playing. No problems so far.

This is the kind of answer I expect, not definition on what cache is. Thank you. I guess I will go forth with this practice.

Scholar
#11 Old 9th Feb 2014 at 9:04 AM
Isn't anyone else wondering how you delete a cache twice between gaming sessions?
Test Subject
#12 Old 9th Feb 2014 at 3:08 PM
i remove my caches files everytime before i start my game
Theorist
#13 Old 9th Feb 2014 at 4:01 PM
Deleting the 4 cache files in Sims3/ folder is ok, it only contains small data. No downside that I can see perhaps the first load will be longer. Scriptcache, delete it often, especially if you add or update mods.
The other, larger ones (world caches and object caches) I remove every 3 months or so. Theres no need to delete the large ones so often.
Some of this depends on how often you add / remove lots and CC. If you do this often you may want to delete your caches a bit more. (And your thumbnail cache)
Remember though, the cache is there partly to stop the 'grey objects' problem. Don't delete it too much.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Forum Resident
#14 Old 9th Feb 2014 at 5:24 PM
The only cache I delete frequently is the scriptcache. Everything else stays put unless I have a very specific reason to delete them. It's probably been 3months+ since the last time I deleted the other caches. Many people recommend to delete the caches for every play session but in my experience this is overkill. It doesn't cause problems to delete the caches, it's just not necessary.

My Mod Index | My Mods at Simlogical | My Blog: Nona's Sims | Fix Your Premium Content

Please do not PM me with questions about modding. Please post in an appropriate forum and PM me a link to the thread if you would like me to try and help.
Test Subject
#15 Old 9th Feb 2014 at 6:34 PM
I delete the 5 cache files after closing my game, each and every time, but it's mostly because it's become routine habit and I add cc/mods on a regular basis.

belissimo simsxistence: blogger | tumblr
if you read the blog and like it, I hope you'll let me know
Inventor
#16 Old 9th Feb 2014 at 10:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tomomi1922
Right, I am aware of how cache works. I am not saying I should delete cache while TS3 is running (as far as I know, it won't let me). I am also aware that data will have to be fetched again from its original storage, thus new cache will be created. Hence I fully understand that load time will be slower, and more hiccups will happen when new content (new sims, new lot visit) have to load.

I am aware you knew about it. I just wanted to state the information because most of the threads about "Caches" or "Performance" people usually say: "I always delete the cache before every gaming session and my game loads and run much faster". I just wanted to burst the myth.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#17 Old 9th Feb 2014 at 10:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by douglasveiga
I am aware you knew about it. I just wanted to state the information because most of the threads about "Caches" or "Performance" people usually say: "I always delete the cache before every gaming session and my game loads and run much faster". I just wanted to burst the myth.

Just misunderstanding. True, some ppl go with the myth without knowing what they are doing.

Mad Poster
#18 Old 9th Feb 2014 at 11:16 PM
I make changes in what mods I use constantly so it's been a habit to delete the caches. I will try out just deleting the script caches since most of my changes are mods or hacks. I never knew what the caches do, but have had problems with not deleting them because of corruption, especially when I played Sims 2.

I like learning about new things, so keep it coming.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.