Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Feb 2014 at 8:14 PM
Default Library Files Question?
Just a query but if you put a library file into your Mods/ folder will it still show up in your game?
for example: if I have a lot that I saved in my library and took that library file and placed it in my Mods/ folder, will it still show up in my lot category in the edit town section?,
this is also question for patterns and saved Cas edited clothes saves as well?
I'm asking because in Delphy Dashboard it says I have a few conflicted library files with DCCache files and I was wondering if I put them in my test folder, that the DCCache Files will overwrite the conflicted library file, since the priority is higher for DCCache then test

Conducting Parallel Simulated Fantasy Experiments
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 11th Feb 2014 at 7:10 AM
I am trying to figure out what "library files" are. It sounded like a .dll file (dynamic link library) at first, but I am sure you don't mean that.

DCCache files are where your sims3pack are installed. I think .package file in general has higher priority than DCCache, but I could be wrong.

I work for a living, but I don't necessarily live for a working.
Instructor
#3 Old 11th Feb 2014 at 7:21 AM
Why would you want to try and put your saved lot into your mods folder ? When you save a lot it's in your house bin.

You only live once make the most of it..:)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 12th Feb 2014 at 5:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by eman72
Why would you want to try and put your saved lot into your mods folder ? When you save a lot it's in your house bin.

@eman72 House bin? Where is that folder?

ok, This is what I have:
I have a few library files (like ebf_0x0cc3005a880280b0.package) in my Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Library folder that Delphy Dashbord says it has a conflict with files in the DCcache folder
now I do not know if the library files (like ebf_0x0cc3005a880280b0.package) are all my saved files like when i save a cas recoloring of clothing, or a pattern in my cas pattern favorites,
I don't even know if it is a family(sim) or lot that I saved in edit terrain ("save to library"), and I also don't know if it is a house (lot) I downloaded.
I thought when you install a house(lot) thru the launcher( it was a Sims3pack), that the launcher puts it in the library folder, and all build/buy stuff that came with it would be put in the DCCache folder.
also when you install Sims 3 and it's EP/Sp doesn't some files get put into the DCCache folder? so with that, I really don't want to have to re-install Sims just to find out what .dbc number was last. before I started to install all the store Items. and the rest of the extra cc stuff I got installed from Sim3pack files before i figured I could Extract Sim3pack into package File (using Delphy Sims3Pack Multi Installer).
My DCCache folder as files dcdb0.dbc - dcdb25.dbc ranging from 200mb - 370mb in size.

So what I was thinking, if when you have 2 conflicting cc (package) files, sometimes you can place 1 of the files in your Override folder in which that File would overwrite the other one in your package folder.
My Resource.cfg file has it set up that Override has a higher priority level then my DCCache file (.dbc) (by the way DCCache file (.dbc) has the same priority level as my Package folder)
So if I put the Library file (like ebf_0x0cc3005a880280b0.package) that is conflicting with the DCCache (dcdb4.dbc) file in the Override folder,
Wouldn't the library file (like ebf_0x0cc3005a880280b0.package) overwrite the conflicting file in the .dbc file (like dcdb4.dbc)?

or is there a better way (and not stressful - having to learn tons of programs to accomplish it) to do all this, so that I do not loose the contents that is in my library file?

Instructor
#5 Old 12th Feb 2014 at 6:04 AM
[QUOTE=haukke4]@eman72 House bin? Where is that folder?

Your house bin is where all your saved lots, houses/lots you have downloaded and pre-made EA houses are located when your edit your town.

You only live once make the most of it..:)
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#6 Old 12th Feb 2014 at 8:16 AM
That is all very confusing, so I don't know whether my answer really answers something :
- When you install a lot or house as a sims3pack via the Launcher the lot itself will go into the 'Library' folder in your 'The Sims 3' folder in 'Documents'. The Launcher will also create a reference in one of your .dbc (or .ebc files if it's a Store venue) in 'DCCache' and a backup of the lot in 'DCBackup'. The lot itself will not be in one of the .dbc files
- AFAIK Dashboard only checks for conflicts within the same folder, so it seems to me that you had it check your whole 'The Sims 3' folder, which could explain your conflict message because the lot now turns up several times in three different folders. I think that Dashboard is not designed for what you did but rather for the search for conflicts only within one subfolder, like 'Mods'. So in essence, your "conflicts" might be false positives
- Recolourings of Buy/Build Mode or CAS items and Recolourings of patterns are saved in 'userpresets.package'. They will only enter your .dbc files when you export that recolour and import it again as a sims3pack via the Launcher. See also here: http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...lders_Explained
- the game and the EPs don't install anything at all into the .dbc or .ebc files. Only sims3packs go into there. .dbc is for custom content, .ebc is for Store. This also means that you can distinguish your Store files from the third party custom content because they both go into separate files in 'DCCache'
- setting your 'resource.cfg' such that it includes the .dbc file extension only means that it will apply to .dbc files that are inside your 'Packages' folder. It has no effect on .dbc files in 'DCCache'
- placing a lot package from 'Library' into 'Packages\Overrides' will probably do nothing but confuse the game and lead to extended loading times
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 12th Feb 2014 at 11:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by eman72
Your house bin is where all your saved lots, houses/lots you have downloaded and pre-made EA houses are located when your edit your town.

Are you talking about the Tab for residential lots in the Edit Town Section of the game?
Because i did a search in My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\ folder and C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\ for "house", "house bin" , "house.bin" etc. and didn't find anything

@babele44
I feel like an idiot now
Thank you very very much for the whole explanation,
Quote: Originally posted by babele44
so it seems to me that you had it check your whole 'The Sims 3' folder.

- Yes I did have Dashboard search thru my Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 folder, that is why it said it was having conflicts with other files?,
Although my game runs smoothly, I was just concerned that if it wasn't taken care of soon, that it might cause problems later, hence having to re-install again later
Only sims3packs go into there. .dbc is for custom content, .ebc is for Store. .

Thank you yes I have both . .dbc and ebc
setting your 'resource.cfg' such that it includes the .dbc file extension only means that it will apply to .dbc files that are inside your 'Packages' folder. It has no effect on .dbc files in 'DCCache'.

oh ok because all I have Package, Override, Probation, and Test as folders in my Mods folder.
placing a lot package from 'Library' into 'Packages\Overrides' will probably do nothing but confuse the game and lead to extended loading times.

well then I best not do that then DOn't need to cause any unwanted problems.

Thank you very much everyone for your Reply's and time I learned a lot today :D

-

#8 Old 12th Feb 2014 at 11:36 AM
If you want to learn even more, it is not always necessary to reinstall the whole game if something gets borked in your current user files. Simply removing and/or deleting the current 'The Sims 3' folder and have the game create a new one by simply launching it, is in most cases enough to get back that 'freshly installed' smell.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 19th Feb 2014 at 6:37 AM Last edited by haukke4 : 19th Feb 2014 at 8:18 AM.
OK Thank you
1 other Question?
If you install something (like clothing) through the Launcher and Later on, forgetting you had installed it, you put a package file (of the same exact clothing) into your mods folder will it show up twice (in your CAS Clothing), In your game?
[Same goes for build buy objects]

One Minute Ninja'd
#10 Old 19th Feb 2014 at 8:14 AM
Yes, it will show up twice. Once with the S3P emblem, and once with the package emblem (a blue folder, i believe). Both will work. all you've done is clutter up your CAS/Buy Build menus with duplicates. No harm, no foul.

Unless, of course, it's some borked piece of content, in which case you now have to find not only the offending S3P to uninstall, but the package file as well (which at least is typically a far easier process than using the damn Launcher to uninstall the pair of messed up boots that are causing all your newborns to have the "gloved baby" glitch).
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 19th Feb 2014 at 8:19 AM
Thank you, B-cuz I thought I had a bad cc and it was just duplicating itself lol,
it took me awhile to find it in the launcher all I did is take 1 .dbc file at a time, renamed it dcdb0.dbc took all others out, then opened launcher and repeated until I found it (re re-nameing them back to their original name )

2 other Question?
Lets say I install a Sims Character Simpack and it came with clothing etc. but later I do not want the Sims Character (though I used some of the clothing on another Character), but do want the clothing etc, but I cannot find it (them) anywhere (old files) to dl, Yet I found (find) the 0x paclage file(s) in the dcbackup folder, Can I uninstall the Sims Character and save the Dcbackup File(s) [renaming them to their item name ( like af_shirt_???.package) and place it in my Mods folder and still keep it in my game?

One Minute Ninja'd
#12 Old 19th Feb 2014 at 8:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by haukke4
2 other Question?
Lets say I install a Sims Character Simpack and it came with clothing etc. but later I do not want the Sims Character (though I used some of the clothing on another Character), but do want the clothing etc, but I cannot find it (them) anywhere (old files) to dl, Yet I found (find) the 0x paclage file(s) in the dcbackup folder, Can I uninstall the Sims Character and save the Dcbackup File(s) [renaming them to their item name ( like af_shirt_???.package) and place it in my Mods folder and still keep it in my game?

Well, I've never tried it, but maybe someone here has. However, assuming you are willing to obsessively hunt through every numbered package in your DCCache backup folder using something like S3PE to identify the one shirt you can't live without, theoretically it should work.
#13 Old 19th Feb 2014 at 9:17 AM Last edited by babele44 : 19th Feb 2014 at 9:57 AM.
When you uninstall a Sim from the Launcher the custom content it came with won't uninstall anyway. It will remain in in the dbc files in DCCache and you would have to uninstall it separately. But yes, like eskie227 said, in theory the package file in DCBackup should work if you place it in Mods\Packages.
Another method for Sims loaded with cc, and the one I'd prefer, is to not install this Sim in the Launcher in the first place but run it through Delphy's Sims 3 Pack Multi-Extracter which will give you the separate .package files without going through the Launcher hassle. I have the slight feeling that not only is it a pain to find things in the Launcher but uninstalling them in there doesn't really remove them completely and leaves a lot of junk behind in the .dbc files.
Top Secret Researcher
#14 Old 20th Feb 2014 at 1:41 AM
Here is a little more information that might be useful:
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...lders_Explained
http://www.den.simlogical.com/denfo...hp?topic=1551.0 Scroll down to Part One: Scanning with Delphy's Dashboard
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 21st Feb 2014 at 6:05 AM
Thank you all,
Since the cc stays in the DCcache folder ( .dbc) .even after i uninstall the Sims then normally I would just leave it,
Though I am Cleaning out my DCcache filles "Installed thru the Launcher" looking for bad cc, and I thought while i was doing that I can also uninstall some clothing i installed which wasn't much,
well except all the cc that came with Sims.(like a Sims had a Default Skin with it - I don't want ) which is sometimes hard to find the dl for (Like Helaene, Lilisims, Heiret to name a few) this way all I have is store items in my DCcacje (,ebc) folder from the Launcher (unless bad -then it's deleted)
and then I can use S3PE to compress my package files in my Mods folder ( like clothing.package , Build.package etc.) this way if there is a problem later I know where to look,
and my Game runs smoother as well being compress :D

Note:
@babele44 I had installed this stuff before i started learning information, tools etc.
Plus I use This method "Method by Mell" to search thru the DCcache files thru the Launcher,

@eskie227 I use Package Viewer to look through the DCbackup files, then use S3PE to confirm and rename the file. but only after I found it and unistalled it from the launcher
Plus i can remember most of the stuff i installed (around the date i dl them, - I have all dl cc in my other 3TB drive) so i look in the DCCache files for the date they where created which give me a better chance of finding the .dbc or the .ebc file that has the item I'm looking for then I use the Mell method

@barbarat thank you this will help