Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Feb 2014 at 5:45 PM
Default Hello New Mac User here - Be gentle.....
Hello all,
Having a bear of a time transitioning from my PC and TS2 to my Mac with TS3. Many add ons and enhancements do not work. Is there a Mac FAQ out there? On the PC most files install/copy without much fuss.
Thanks All!
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 11th Feb 2014 at 7:05 PM
A Mac FAQ for what? All of EA's games have limited functionality and extra bugs on Mac, but you don't generally do much differently from how you'd do it on Windows.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Inventor
#3 Old 11th Feb 2014 at 8:02 PM
Here's how to play TS3 on Mac without it crashing every half an hour.

1. Get a copy of Windows.
2. Install said copy of Windows via Boot Camp.
3. Install Sims 3 on the Boot Camp drive.
4. Play the Windows version of Sims 3 without the crashing problems that plague the Mac version!

That's what I do, anyway. I can't stand the repeated crashing on the Mac version of TS3! (And no, EA is not the only one guilty of this. Before it closed, City of Heroes' Mac client had the same problem - no EA involved there.)

The Darkdusk Legacy has ended. Read the whole thing!
The Nightmagic Legacy has ended. Read the whole thing!
Last of Her Kind has ended thanks to a dead computer.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 12th Feb 2014 at 12:26 AM
Supposedly stability on the Mac version was improved in one of the recent updates, but I haven't tried it out for myself. Running TS3 on Mac seems to be a case of how many EP's you have installed, how many mods/CC, and a lot of luck.
What add-ons and enhancements do you mean?

why did i pick this username
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 12th Feb 2014 at 12:30 AM
TS3 is generally unstable to begin with. Subscribe to NRAAS for mods that stabilize your game (MaterController, Overwatch, ErrorTrap, much more). So I don't think it is a Mac thing (as if PC users are having a heavenly time with TS3). Although I won't doubt that Mac version is less stabilized than PC version.

I work for a living, but I don't necessarily live for a working.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 12th Feb 2014 at 3:30 AM
I was looking to install a mod for quicker skill learning here as well as a set of buyable aspiration rewards. Basically some stuff to make the game a smidge easier. Don't get me wrong PSDuckie, I did contemplate VMWare, boot camp, etc... Just kinda defeated the purpose of the Mac... I have EVERY EP and SP for TS3, so reinstalling them all (Which I did already) takes a few hours.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#7 Old 12th Feb 2014 at 11:11 AM
Installing mods on Mac is exactly the same as on Windows.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 13th Feb 2014 at 8:08 PM
I have a Mac. I haven't played the Sims on a PC at all, but I haven't had any trouble installing mods and very few problems with crashing. [Disclaimer: I am by no means an expert at any of this, so if I'm wrong about anything go ahead and correct me.]

For mods/cc: sims3packs you just download, doubleclick, and go to the launcher to install.
.packages you go into your Sims 3 folder, create a folder called "Mods" if you don't already have it there, create a folder within "Mods" called "Packages," and keep all your .package files in there. Should show up in the game.
(I just followed these instructions to set it up: http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?tit...g_Package_Files)

To unzip files, you'll probably need to get a new application. I use The Unarchiver, which is free in the app store.
Forum Resident
#9 Old 14th Feb 2014 at 9:36 AM
I play sims 3 on a Mac and it works great. Granted, it's the second top MBP retina, but still. (I had the lower end MBP Retina originally but it was stolen and on that one I had to play it in Bootcamp.)