Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

*Recolourable* Holy Smoke modular stairs

by Numenor Posted 12th Mar 2005 at 9:28 PM - Updated 18th Mar 2007 at 10:59 PM by Numenor : Fixed in-text images

143 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 137 Feedback Posts, 5 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 5 of 6
Lab Assistant
#101 Old 18th Sep 2005 at 10:52 PM
Thanks for this, I desperately needed transparent or invisible stealth stairs for one of my buildings. Finally, I think I've found what I'm looking for!!! Many thanks!!!

Twisted Disco~~~*
Space Pony
#102 Old 24th Sep 2005 at 9:21 AM
I love it, love it, love it.... and you! Thank you soooo much for your hard work. THREE MONTHS!!!! OMG, I gave up after 2 days on a stupid bodyshop dress I was trying to make, and objects I gave up after about 3 hours of trying... and meshing... well, I tried that for 3 days... but geez..... THREE MONTHS!!!! LOL..... I admire deeply your persistance and dedication that us mere mortals (or maybe just me) do NOT possess!! WHOOT!
Forum Resident
#103 Old 24th Sep 2005 at 11:44 AM
I'm using a new installation of Sims2/University/Nightlife and when I put these in I didn't even think about the special instructions but they're working anyway with just the files in my downloads folder.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#104 Old 24th Sep 2005 at 12:22 PM
It's exactly as it should be
All the files go to the downloads folder: no special installation is required.

The special instructions are about applying the recolours on the stairs.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Forum Resident
#105 Old 24th Sep 2005 at 12:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
It's exactly as it should be
All the files go to the downloads folder: no special installation is required.

The special instructions are about applying the recolours on the stairs.

Doh! I was thinking about Brasstex's stairs. Guess I need another cup of coffee.
Lab Assistant
#106 Old 25th Sep 2005 at 2:09 PM
Though I think recoloring objects on my own is beyond me, I figured out how to recolor the steps in game, so patting myself on the back. One question though: can the files for these steps plus any recolors be put in their own folder? Or do they have to be free in the downloads folder? I like putting things in folders for organization, but right now they are not and show up fine. Thanks for thel help! :-)
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#107 Old 25th Sep 2005 at 6:51 PM
You can put them in subfolders nested into the main Downloads.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Space Pony
#108 Old 28th Sep 2005 at 5:45 AM
Default Fabbo Work!
Thank you SO much for these Numenor, they work perfectly in my TS2-only game as you can see from my (failed) tryhard gazebo. I'm having so much fun playing with all these new toys... even if I can't make things properly yet, haha.
Screenshots
Test Subject
#109 Old 10th Oct 2005 at 11:37 AM
:gonemad: lol, great work!!Thank you so much for the time spend on this!
Lab Assistant
#110 Old 29th Oct 2005 at 12:58 AM
Some of the files in the Downloads folder just don't show up in the game like this lovely Holy Smoke Stairs, and there's nothing you can do.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#111 Old 29th Oct 2005 at 2:11 AM
Once again, these stairs aren't supposed to show up in the catalog as a custom object: they are the original "Holy Smoke"; only, now they are recolourable.
In the catalog you'll only see the old "Holy Smoke" stairs, nothing more; but when you place them on the lot and use the "Design Tool" on them, you can recolour them.

Lab Assistant
#112 Old 29th Oct 2005 at 3:26 AM
Thanks for the answer Mr. Numenor.
Mad Poster
#113 Old 17th Nov 2005 at 2:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jonesi
I have this and alot of the other recolours for the holysmoke stairs but they aren't showing up in my game, any idea why??

My experience was kinda different.
In the beginning, I did get recolours in the catalogs for some times.
Probably later, I added something or what. The option to choose recolours in the catalogs disappeared.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#114 Old 17th Nov 2005 at 2:45 PM
Haven't you deleted, by chance, the recolour packages from the downloads folder?
Or maybe you have installed a badly created custom modular stair that now interferes with the Holy Smoke?

Lab Assistant
#115 Old 23rd Dec 2005 at 8:46 AM
wowoooOooo Fantastic, Thanks so much!!!!
Test Subject
#116 Old 4th Feb 2006 at 6:31 AM
Thank you SO much for making the stairs recolorable (including the wood ones)! I was getting incredibly frustrated with the same old stairs. :insane:
Bravo to you, and all you geniuses who know how to customize everything.

I'm too skeerd to try! :hide:
Thanks again!
Indi :viking:
Test Subject
#117 Old 10th Feb 2006 at 7:08 PM
Thank you!
Lab Assistant
#118 Old 25th Feb 2006 at 2:42 PM
ok in my SimPE I don't seem to have a Load Object tab but there is an option in Object Workshop to Open - can I assume this is the right one please?

(consider me SimPE-challenged - still looking for up-to-date tutorials)
Lab Assistant
#119 Old 25th Feb 2006 at 2:48 PM
and where is Build TXT?
Field Researcher
#120 Old 15th Apr 2006 at 3:12 AM
Dude. You and boblishman. Best creators on the site. You create such USEFUL items (I've been having fun with the slot enabler package!)! Your mods are great. Thank you so much for all you effort and time---because God knows I can't so much as recolor something without causing the computer to explode in my face. :laugh:

~Sarah~
Lab Assistant
#121 Old 26th Apr 2006 at 11:36 PM
Does Clean Installer yank out the stairs?
Numeror, an important question:

So I make a house using your stairs, but without recoloring them. Honestly, I've forgotten I'd installed this, and to even try it. Anyway, I package my house to upload here, I run Sims2Pack installer, and I respectfully remove your stairs out of the final package...

What would happen for someone who downloaded that house? Would it have default maxis stairs? Would it have none?

How can I test this out?

Thanks!

en7en - "that pagoda guy..."
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#122 Old 27th Apr 2006 at 1:09 AM
All my recolourable stairs override the originals (they use the same GUIDs); therefore, when you remove them from the uploaded lot, the original stairs will be used instead.
If you applied a recolour to the stairs, it will be lost; but if you didn't recolour them, no one will notice the differences.

How to test yourself? It's easy
1) Build a lot containing the recolourable stairs; pack the lot and clean it with the Clean Installer.
2) Shut down the game and remove from the Downloads my recolourable stairs.
3) Install your cleaned lot using the CI or the Maxis installer
4) Start the game and examine your newly installed lot.

BTW, I appreciate your honesty; but if you upload your lot to a free site, you CAN include my creations in your lot; you only have to credit me and provide the link to the original thread here at MTS2 (especially for the recolourable stairs, that are quite tricky ).

Lab Assistant
#123 Old 27th Apr 2006 at 4:13 AM
Thanks! That's exactly what I wanted to know.

I think I'll keep removing them, because I pride myself in being a purist, and using as little custom content as possible. I think I actually like the effort of trying to build something nice using only Maxis content.

en7en - "that pagoda guy..."
Instructor
#124 Old 29th May 2006 at 7:35 PM
Numenor, none of your recolourable stairs work in my game. The catalog says they're recolourable, but I can't get the functions to work at all.
I know they still worked in NL, but ever since getting OFB (and now FFS) they can't be recoloured.
Are you aware of any conflicting hacks perhaps? I am really at a loss to explain why they won't work for me.
Scholar
#125 Old 23rd Jun 2006 at 7:33 PM
great, thanks

Please note - I'm not taking any requests at the moment.

You may include my items in your uploads but please credit with a link to either the object or my creator page please.

My Sims 2 videos
Page 5 of 6