Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Aug 2020 at 3:12 PM
Default Gaming Rig to play all four SIms games
I'm bad at creating introduction for threads, so I'll make it quick and simple. What if I were to play all four/three games on a computer, what kind of rig would be perfect to run them all with little, no or less of a trouble? Specifcations, ram, graphic cards, and all the nerdy details that a huge Sim fan consumer to play it on? I'm no savvy with these kind of stuff, so I really don't know what would you need just asking. Would it be possible to play it with all the packs (stuff, expansion, maybe game if ts4 considered / for curiosity) in mind how much harddrive space it would take combined? Also, I don't use much CC except for modded objects/scripts, lots/worlds free of CC, but insight on that regardless would also help.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 14th Aug 2020 at 11:23 PM
I can't help with technical details, but here's a link to the graphics card guide for Sims 3 if you haven't seen it. TS3 is the one that's most resource intensive, so if your card can handle TS3, it should be able to handle the others. Before you decide on one though, search the name in the TS2 section to see if it's one of the cards that's been having trouble with the Windows 10 updates.
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php%3Ftit...em_Requirements

The reason I actually wanted to post here is to say TS2 (all stuff packs and expansions) is 13 GB. My Sims 3 file (all expansions, no stuff packs) is 30.9 GB. Sims 4 base game is 15 GB. (all together, my TS4 file is 27.3 GB - the expansions I have are in my profile). These are program files only, not CC.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 14th Aug 2020 at 11:48 PM
I don't have any specific suggestions for you, but the OS turns out to be a problem for the older games you could try running those in a VM or a separate partition running an older version of Windows.
Alchemist
#4 Old 15th Aug 2020 at 4:46 AM Last edited by Phantomknight : 7th Sep 2020 at 4:32 AM.
So I think when looking at computer specs, the main things you'll be considering is your memory/ram, your graphics card, your hard drive space, and your processor. You can probably make do with an old speakers or monitor for a while before you upgrade. If you're building your computer from scratch then there might be more to consider, but I think those are the main things. Anyway, I don't have specifics either, especially not for the other games, as I don't play TS3 often and TS4 at all, but TS2 especially likes ram. If you think you might change your mind later and want a cc-heavy game, definitely save up for those higher end ram chips. For reference, I have 16 GB of ram, an Intel i5-4460 @ 3.20 ghz, and an Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti and I'd say my game runs well and looks pretty decent--and I have a 22.7 GB folder. I don't have issues running TS3 either. So a bigger download folder than that--or if you like particularly high poly cc--than you'll need at least as much as, if not more ram. Ram is the next upgrade I'm considering myself, as there are some conversions, mostly hair and cars, that won't show up in my game with my download folder. (Otherwise my TS2 game runs really well, I rarely have graphical issues anymore--any crashing I experience is usually do to a mod.)

For hard drive space, it depends on if you will be using the computer for other things, if you're going to hoard downloads, and if you like to take a lot of pictures. As someone who has owned many computers over the years, definitely don't get less than a TB. You should be able to get a hard drive that size or better for a really decent price these days and there's just no reason to say no to extra storage, imo. And if you want to have all 4 games installed at the same time (or possible more games than that), your available space gets eaten up really quick. Also consider if you'll have multiple download folders/if you switch download folders to play different hoods. Having an entire duplicate TS2 folder also eats up space. So yeah, definitely at least a TB of space. It's hard to say for sure because I don't know how much you use your space or your budget, but, personally, if I was strapped for cash, I would get a larger hard drive (2 TB or higher) and plan to either switch to an SSD (solid state drive) later, or add on an SSD later for extra storage. Hard drive prices, a bit like USB prices, have come way down in recent years, so again, you should be able to get a large one for a cheap, or decent price. Overall though, SSD is better and faster than an HDD, so if you can, do go for the SSD. You can always use an old HDD as a backup or add storage later. And again, if you can, I would recommend at least a TB of storage for the SSD, if not more. I know some might use a smaller SSD drive, but you really have to consider your use. Personally, I like to keep all my games installed--getting the older games, TS1 and TS2, to install on a new computer can be a trial these days, and I'd rather not do an install more than once. So that means I need constant storage for those games and that means 500 GB gets used really quick if you also have a large picture collection and/or music collection. Also consider if you will be saving any backups on your computer--neighborhood backups, picture backups, download backups. And then don't forget storage for your personal/non-sim stuff. All that for me means that 500 GB is a little tight, but maybe for you is just fine. It's up to you.

Next, for your processor, if you are struggling between choices, always look at the processor speed, rather than going by what's the latest model. Again, I don't know much about computers but when I'm buying one and looking at specs, speed is the most important factor about the processor for me, as I'm playing older games and doing light computer stuff--browsing on the internet, playing music, etc. There's no need for the latest processor with a bunch of cores when you're playing an old game that can't use that stuff anyway. I would go with a mid range processor that either matches my current speed (3.20 ghz) or does better.

Finally, for your graphics cards, go with recommendations for TS4 or TS3. Omglo is right about TS3 being more resource intensive so anything that can handle those should be able to handle TS2 just fine. I'll just say that when looking at graphics cards, look at specs for the most demanding game you want to play. If sims games are going to be the bulk of your gaming, then you don't need to go crazy, especially for TS2. If there are other newer games you want to play, then get a card that meets requirements for those.

To sum up, I'd recommend at least 8 GB of ram, minimum, at least 16 GB for a cc-heavy game; at least a TB for storage--SSD over a HDD if you can afford it; and a processor and graphics card that meets the demands of your newest/most resource-heavy game you'll be playing. Other little tips to consider--how loud your computer will be and your wireless card. I bought one of those floor model laptops for my last year of college (I'll never again pick a floor model, that's for sure) and while the laptop did run okay and run my programs well, it was super loud. I mean constant truck stop loud. So yeah, consider that, especially if you're leaning towards laptops. In my experience it's harder to keep those quiet. And the wireless card--well, maybe this is cuz I usually buy desktops, but you'd be surprised how often a good wireless card is overlooked or just not included. If you're also going to be browsing the internet, make sure you get a good one that can pick up the latest 5G whatever and has a good range, especially if your computer set up is far from your router. You wanna make sure you get good downloading times and are able to see everyone's large photo-shoot gameplay photos on tumblr.

"Thinking of you, wherever you are. We pray for our sorrows to end, and hope that our hearts will blend." - Kingdom Hearts

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
aka Kelyns | she/her
Mad Poster
#5 Old 15th Aug 2020 at 5:23 AM Last edited by HarVee : 15th Aug 2020 at 5:41 AM.
A 1050Ti is a very old card by today's standards, but with 4GB VRAM and a 128-bit GDDR5 memory interface it'll work fine for a graphics processor if you plan on just playing sims games and older pre-2016 games. You can pick one up on Amazon for roughly 200 USD. It's the same card I have.

I've paired it with an older gen 4GHz AMD FX-8350 processor and there are some minor bottlenecks but nothing major enough to get in the way of simming, just a little bit of micro stutter is all it is. The price of that is around 150-200 USD.

I'd reccomend getting yourself an 1tb SSD. That way you get faster load times and have room to add plenty of cc/mods. A 1TB SSD will set you back about 160 USD. But it is a great investment.

The Sims 3 in particular, unlike the others, is ram hog so you could go for 8gb, but I'd aim for 16gb so you have enough for the games and background system processes. RAM is actually inexpensive about 40-60 USD for two sticks of 8GB.

The motherboard I am using is a Gigabyte Technology GA-78LMT-USB3 rev 6.0. It is an older motherboard and with the setup above it'll be maxed out. It does not support DDR4 RAM memory interface, so ram can only be DDR3 interface @ 1600mhz maximum which is what I have installed.

My build cost me 900 back in the day, but nowadays you could do it for about 650 USD.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 27th Dec 2020 at 8:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Phantomknight
So I think when looking at computer specs, the main things you'll be considering is your memory/ram, your graphics card, your hard drive space, and your processor. You can probably make do with an old speakers or monitor for a while before you upgrade. If you're building your computer from scratch then there might be more to consider, but I think those are the main things. Anyway, I don't have specifics either, especially not for the other games, as I don't play TS3 often and TS4 at all, but TS2 especially likes ram. If you think you might change your mind later and want a cc-heavy game, definitely save up for those higher end ram chips. For reference, I have 16 GB of ram, an Intel i5-4460 @ 3.20 ghz, and an Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti and I'd say my game runs well and looks pretty decent--and I have a 22.7 GB folder. I don't have issues running TS3 either. So a bigger download folder than that--or if you like particularly high poly cc--than you'll need at least as much as, if not more ram. Ram is the next upgrade I'm considering myself, as there are some conversions, mostly hair and cars, that won't show up in my game with my download folder. (Otherwise my TS2 game runs really well, I rarely have graphical issues anymore--any crashing I experience is usually do to a mod.)

For hard drive space, it depends on if you will be using the computer for other things, if you're going to hoard downloads, and if you like to take a lot of pictures. As someone who has owned many computers over the years, definitely don't get less than a TB. You should be able to get a hard drive that size or better for a really decent price these days and there's just no reason to say no to extra storage, imo. And if you want to have all 4 games installed at the same time (or possible more games than that), your available space gets eaten up really quick. Also consider if you'll have multiple download folders/if you switch download folders to play different hoods. Having an entire duplicate TS2 folder also eats up space. So yeah, definitely at least a TB of space. It's hard to say for sure because I don't know how much you use your space or your budget, but, personally, if I was strapped for cash, I would get a larger hard drive (2 TB or higher) and plan to either switch to an SSD (solid state drive) later, or add on an SSD later for extra storage. Hard drive prices, a bit like USB prices, have come way down in recent years, so again, you should be able to get a large one for a cheap, or decent price. Overall though, SSD is better and faster than an HDD, so if you can, do go for the SSD. You can always use an old HDD as a backup or add storage later. And again, if you can, I would recommend at least a TB of storage for the SSD, if not more. I know some might use a smaller SSD drive, but you really have to consider your use. Personally, I like to keep all my games installed--getting the older games, TS1 and TS2, to install on a new computer can be a trial these days, and I'd rather not do an install more than once. So that means I need constant storage for those games and that means 500 GB gets used really quick if you also have a large picture collection and/or music collection. Also consider if you will be saving any backups on your computer--neighborhood backups, picture backups, download backups. And then don't forget storage for your personal/non-sim stuff. All that for me means that 500 GB is a little tight, but maybe for you is just fine. It's up to you.

Next, for your processor, if you are struggling between choices, always look at the processor speed, rather than going by what's the latest model. Again, I don't know much about computers but when I'm buying one and looking at specs, speed is the most important factor about the processor for me, as I'm playing older games and doing light computer stuff--browsing on the internet, playing music, etc. There's no need for the latest processor with a bunch of cores when you're playing an old game that can't use that stuff anyway. I would go with a mid range processor that either matches my current speed (3.20 ghz) or does better.

Finally, for your graphics cards, go with recommendations for TS4 or TS3. Omglo is right about TS3 being more resource intensive so anything that can handle those should be able to handle TS2 just fine. I'll just say that when looking at graphics cards, look at specs for the most demanding game you want to play. If sims games are going to be the bulk of your gaming, then you don't need to go crazy, especially for TS2. If there are other newer games you want to play, then get a card that meets requirements for those.

To sum up, I'd recommend at least 8 GB of ram, minimum, at least 16 GB for a cc-heavy game; at least a TB for storage--SSD over a HDD if you can afford it; and a processor and graphics card that meets the demands of your newest/most resource-heavy game you'll be playing. Other little tips to consider--how loud your computer will be and your wireless card. I bought one of those floor model laptops for my last year of college (I'll never again pick a floor model, that's for sure) and while the laptop did run okay and run my programs well, it was super loud. I mean constant truck stop loud. So yeah, consider that, especially if you're leaning towards laptops. In my experience it's harder to keep those quiet. And the wireless card--well, maybe this is cuz I usually buy desktops, but you'd be surprised how often a good wireless card is overlooked or just not included. If you're also going to be browsing the internet, make sure you get a good one that can pick up the latest 5G whatever and has a good range, especially if your computer set up is far from your router. You wanna make sure you get good downloading times and are able to see everyone's large photo-shoot gameplay photos on tumblr.

Thank you so much! I can see myself also playing probz GTA V and CS apart from SIms, so would I need to get graphic cards and processor that match up or is higher than GTA V's recoomendation?

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.