Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 12:02 PM Last edited by Tzigone : 3rd Jun 2009 at 12:26 PM.
Default Aging Issues - anyone else have 'em?
Aging seems wonky. I started with aging off so that I could get the relationship between my married sims up high before I left them alone to see how many children they'd produce (both are family-oriented and want to be surrounded by children). Got them good, then let them have their first child before I left for the massive boost in lifetime points. Then I put aging on long and went to play the Goths, and the the Bachelors.

I played five or six days, I think. When I looked at the neighborhood after playing the Bachelors, the baby had one day until toddler-hood, so that made enough sense (since I don't know how long the lifestages are). But Claire Ursine's child is a child. And the man living with his mother who had a toddler still had a toddler (plus a baby, but that's a separate thing). How does this make any sense?

And the family that was expecting a baby has a toddler, and that doesn't match up, either, does it?

I'd understand the bug if only the family I'd been on had slowed down, but that's not what happened. It seems like the different families I wasn't playing were aging at different rates.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 12:42 PM Last edited by Naja : 3rd Jun 2009 at 12:45 PM. Reason: To add info
No- Its not just you the aging is off. My CAS family had a toddler just turn into a child was only left for 3 sim days while I got Bella hitched to Mortimer and when I went back to check on them the child was 2days away from growing up and her grades at school had not changed so I didnt get to pick her trait when she grew up

Basically have to keep a close eye on the families you care for if you have a gameplan in mind or watch them get out of control...and have aunt Linda be younger than nephew Tim! LOL

Quote: "The sun feels cold today"
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 12:53 PM
Wait, what? I have to admit I haven't had the patience to play two families simultaniously because it just messes them up, and they dissappear etc. But aging is messed up too? Wasn't simultaneous aging etc. half the point of a seamless neighbourhood?
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 12:58 PM
Exactly! I didnt play two families because I was scared of this reason, just when I thought it was safe... I get robbed of four days

However I've realised it was screwy only for the child.. The adults seemed to age fine?!

Lab Assistant
#5 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 12:58 PM
Yes but look at the sims even in your own household. If you have the lifetime set to the highest (960 days) and you create 2 similar sims, one sim might have 20 days longer to live than the other, for no apparent reason.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 1:05 PM
At any given time people in your neighbourhood will always be at different ages though. I imagine this can also mess up as the game extrapolates the age if you change the lifespan?
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 1:07 PM
The closest thing I've had to this is a never-dying grandmother... My CAS Sim married a sim who lived with his mother. The mother is now something like 120 days, and I'm playing the 90-day lifespan.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 1:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Arcadus
Yes but look at the sims even in your own household. If you have the lifetime set to the highest (960 days) and you create 2 similar sims, one sim might have 20 days longer to live than the other, for no apparent reason.

Yea I have noticed that...but my problem is with that child. Ive played about 5 newborns to children with lifespan set to normal without switching families the children have the same lifespan on normal its 7 days.

Baring in mind the todder just aged into a child before I left the child had 7days, three sim days later....I come back and the child is ready to be a teen in 0 days??

Something has gone wrong.

Lab Assistant
#9 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 1:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by unlikely
The closest thing I've had to this is a never-dying grandmother... My CAS Sim married a sim who lived with his mother. The mother is now something like 120 days, and I'm playing the 90-day lifespan.

Out of intrest...did you switch families then come back to this CAS family?

Lab Assistant
#10 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 1:19 PM
I did eventually - I played them until the grandmother was something like 105 days, then switched to the other family thinking she would die in the meenwhile. I came back to the CAS family and she is still alive!
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 1:57 PM
I did eventually - I played them until the grandmother was something like 105 days, then switched to the other family thinking she would die in the meenwhile. I came back to the CAS family and she is still alive!

Its funny- the reason I asked is I think its a bug I conducted a little experiment after I had a hunch.

Before I started switching families my CAS family's grandmother died at around 98 days I had a game freeze and didnt save so had to go back a few days. I played a different family and came back to the CAS family the grandmother didnt die around the same time so I thought yay more randomness, however its like 118 days and grandmother hasnt died and im playing at 90 day lifespan. I'm starting to think switching families messes with lifespan in a bigger way...

Lab Assistant
#12 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 2:04 PM
There is definately a bug there, very strange, I wonder if she will ever die now...
Instructor
#13 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 2:15 PM
Hmm I must admit all these posts are giving me the impression that it will be one family per save until these issues are addressed. Luckily for me that is the way I would learn about the game, but my play style is different to many people.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 2:20 PM
Yes I agree I usually play with one family but decided to play out Bella and Mortimer with consequences LOL

Field Researcher
#15 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 2:28 PM

I got one better. I was playing on 960 days, and the grandmother in my house wouldn't die, either. So I just used her as a painting/gardening machine to rake in the cash and she doted about... now it's almost 1500 days, and she's still alive. I have no idea why, but that old woman won't give up the ghost -- literally! She's like the Methuselah of the Sim world, I swear.

Maybe it has something to do with toggling the lifespan back and forth while you're playing a household. I did that once or twice, because I got sick of my babies and toddlers being babies and toddlers.
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 2:36 PM
WOW that is a true eternal grandma!

If you get impatient like me and seem to be affected by this bug you can age grandma up with cheats and she will pass away

Lab Assistant
#17 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 3:51 PM
I don't have this problem, but I created two young adults in cas but somehow the female had less days to age than the guy..
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#18 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 4:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Seethatfallingstar
I don't have this problem, but I created two young adults in cas but somehow the female had less days to age than the guy..
I've heard that CAS sims are created at a random point in the lifestage they are created in (in mine the wife was one day younger than her husband).
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 4:17 PM
Exact same thing here Seethatfallingstar. It's the male who lives longest.
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 4:36 PM
Hum, I wonder if that's a glitch or just part of the game then
Scholar
#21 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 4:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Tzigone
I've heard that CAS sims are created at a random point in the lifestage they are created in (in mine the wife was one day younger than her husband).

This has been my experience, only the gap was bigger, I want to say about six days.
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 5:37 PM
Interesting. I'm going to have to play around with this and see what happens. Did you guys per chance ever turn aging off in that other household?
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 6:26 PM
I havent touched aging at all...I didnt want problems all I did was play another family!

Scholar
#24 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 6:40 PM
I was kind of wondering if maybe the first generation of sims in the game have varying lifespans and ages just so that they would die off one or two at a time, rather than having ALL of the town's elders suddenly dying on the same day. I think that would be really "Logan's Run" style creepy. Especially if you were out on the town and suddenly old people were dropping dead all over the place.

Is there a chance that MAYBE someone thought of how disturbing this might be and tried to "rig" the first gen townies so that they don't all age at the same time? Or was that an unexpected feature of a bad bug?