Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Jun 2009 at 4:48 PM
Default Can sims get run over by a car and die?
I read somewhere that this is one way to kill off your sims. However, in game when my sim crossed the road and a car came it just went through her and didnt hurt her at all....

Whats the deal?
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 28th Jun 2009 at 4:52 PM
The cars just drive right through my sims, like you said. I don't think you can be run over by a car in the game if the sim just happens to be standing in the middle of the road.

"Your life was a liner I voyaged in."
Field Researcher
#3 Old 28th Jun 2009 at 5:07 PM
no they can not die from being hit by a car the cars just pass right through them

You can call me Tasia
My Writing Blog--> Lost In Reality
Instructor
#4 Old 28th Jun 2009 at 5:54 PM
I think you mean the storymode event that kills off your sims. You don't see NPC sims die you just hear about it in the paper.
Test Subject
#5 Old 28th Jun 2009 at 6:41 PM
I have tried putting my sim in the middle of the road, the cars just went pass her like she's invisible... so I think you can't die from a car accident.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 28th Jun 2009 at 7:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by alyria80
I think you mean the storymode event that kills off your sims. You don't see NPC sims die you just hear about it in the paper.

Hm? What do you mean? Because once I saw a townie die while my Joey visited the swimming pool with his sweetheart Audrey.
Here: http://www.wegame.com/watch/The_Gri...e_swimmingpool/

Or what exactly do you mean? Does the newspaper say that a Sim got hit by a car sometimes?
Mad Poster
#7 Old 28th Jun 2009 at 7:12 PM
Occasionally the paper will say that a sim died by being struck by lightning, or some other method of death that doesn't actually exist in-game. I think I read that the game will delete a character and so to explain this it says that they died. It is completely possible to see townies die because they are dying of old age, or starvation, or fire etc.

You definitely cannot die by being hit by a car in S3.
Instructor
#8 Old 28th Jun 2009 at 7:15 PM
There are two types of deaths, ones that actually occur in game, and ones that happen when the story mode random number generator kills someone off. You will never see someone die from a car accident, but someone can get killed by the random number generator and you'll read in the paper they died in a car accident, or choked to death or something else random.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 28th Jun 2009 at 7:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by alyria80
There are two types of deaths, ones that actually occur in game, and ones that happen when the story mode random number generator kills someone off. You will never see someone die from a car accident, but someone can get killed by the random number generator and you'll read in the paper they died in a car accident, or choked to death or something else random.

I've NEVER heard of a death other than of age. And my family survived 4 generations.

Winning the Game
Don't be absurd. This is a Maxis game! What's to win? You and your sims can play unto perpetuity, getting into entanglements and trying to get out, and by the time you know it, it will be 3am your time, and you don't even have your teeth brushed...
--The Sims 1 Prima Guide
Instructor
#10 Old 28th Jun 2009 at 7:42 PM
Do you read the paper everyday? And the default setting for awesome mod turns it off, so that's a factor too in why you may have never seen it.
Test Subject
#11 Old 26th Jun 2012 at 3:32 PM
how do u get in storymode
Top Secret Researcher
#12 Old 26th Jun 2012 at 4:08 PM
I too witnessed NPCs drowning at the pool. Anyway the most funny fake death invented by story mode that I read in the newspaper is: "So-and-so was pecked to death by wild ducks"! ROFL
Scholar
#13 Old 26th Jun 2012 at 5:54 PM
If ya think about it, it's a good thing being run over by a car doesn't kill the sim since it would kill off practically your entire town in a matter of days!

I've never seen a notice that a sim died of choking or whatever, just old age. But, then again, I rarely have them read the paper. I'll have to check that out next time I get a chance to play cuz now I'm curious.
Eminence Grise
#14 Old 27th Jun 2012 at 2:31 AM
What is going on with threads from two or three years ago being necroed lately? Please, if you respond to a thread that you found on Google or somewhere... check the date... if it's from 2009, it is probably obsolete

Quote: Originally posted by Libbie
how do u get in storymode

I believe that poster was referring to "Story Progression", the system EA uses to make it seem as though things are happening to other sims in town (that are really not actually happening to them). If you want to know more about story progression, please start a new thread about it.
Inventor
#15 Old 27th Jun 2012 at 2:30 PM
My eco-friendly Sim who goes everywhere on his bike gets run over at least once (more probably four or five times) on each trip.

The way the game is designed makes a traffic accident practically impossible. But I still flinch when a car runs over a dog. Not a Sim, a dog.

Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
What is going on with threads from two or three years ago being necroed lately?

Didn't you hear? The zombie season is coming and the dead are beginning to rise.
Scholar
#16 Old 28th Jun 2012 at 10:17 PM
I like the new setup because I remember how in TS1, your sims could get stuck in the street forever in a car waiting for NPCs to move out of the street. Waylon the bartender was bugged and would somehow instantly become a celebrity and stand in the middle of the street forever, making your game unplayable. I also remember getting stuck in old town FOREVER because the stupid sax player or the janitor would get stuck in the street.

TS2 did things a different way - I think perhaps you changed scenes when your sim got into the car, rather than driving off. I'd hate to have TS1 style traffic jams in the game. It would suck.
Liar liar, pants on fire.
#17 Old 14th Oct 2013 at 12:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Dorotea
I read somewhere that this is one way to kill off your sims. However, in game when my sim crossed the road and a car came it just went through her and didnt hurt her at all....

Whats the deal?

Funny, when my sims get ran over by cars they get a moodlet that says "not again"
One Minute Ninja'd
#18 Old 14th Oct 2013 at 3:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Simulationdude
Funny, when my sims get ran over by cars they get a moodlet that says "not again"

Wow, not only another necro on an ancient thread, but with a provocative statement about a newly discovered moodlet never before seen to share with the community. Dude, if you would like to somehow redeem yourself, post a pic of a "not again" moodlet after a sim gets "run over" by a car. Inquiring minds really want to know.
Alchemist
#19 Old 14th Oct 2013 at 8:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by eskie227
Wow, not only another necro on an ancient thread, but with a provocative statement about a newly discovered moodlet never before seen to share with the community. Dude, if you would like to somehow redeem yourself, post a pic of a "not again" moodlet after a sim gets "run over" by a car. Inquiring minds really want to know.

For the record, this isn't the first time he necro'ed an ancient thread.

Just call me Nikel
Field Researcher
#20 Old 14th Oct 2013 at 12:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by eskie227

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWdD206eSv0

I am not pretty. I am not beautiful. I am as radiant as the sun.

coming soon to a tumblr near you:
The Disney 10-Gen Legacy Challenge
Hunger Games Challenge
Field Researcher
#21 Old 14th Oct 2013 at 1:21 PM
Maybe it's "Bump an ancient thread" day at MTS and we didn't get the memo!
Scholar
#22 Old 14th Oct 2013 at 1:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Simulationdude
If you're being deliberately ironic with that moodlet name, bravo.

Otherwise, take one Captain-Picard-facepalm meme with a glass of water and have a lie down.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#23 Old 14th Oct 2013 at 2:57 PM
*peeks in thread, runs to admincp to twiddle, whistles innocently*

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.