Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Aug 2009 at 6:57 AM
Default .sims3pack files
Like the tittle says, I'm curious about the .sims3pack files.

I know that they show up again once "installed" in the ..\Documents\EA\The Sims 3\Downloads folder.

But why are they there? lol!?

I'm assuming that it works like a normal .package file. But if so what's the point? Why does it remain a .sims3pack and not a .package?

I'm also wondering if there's anything to open/edit these once installed? Sim3PE didn't do the trick!

Thanks

DOEreoh
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 4th Aug 2009 at 7:02 AM
I prefer to not install .sims3packs via the launcher: I use the 3viewer to extract them into my mods folder. It's here.

.sims3pack files go in, .packages come out. Then you can S3PE them. Don't know what you can do about stuff you've already installed though.
Forum Resident
#3 Old 4th Aug 2009 at 7:03 AM
it doesn't just go into the downloads, it also goes in at least one other folder in your 'my documents' one, usually the library one. the launcher makes all those files (once installed) into one big file. that is mostly likely why it isn't just a .package one.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 4th Aug 2009 at 7:08 AM
sweet! thanks ladies!

DOEreoh
Field Researcher
#5 Old 4th Aug 2009 at 7:10 AM
The launcher copies the sims3pack to the downloads as a backup. It also leaves a backup in a DCCache or some such thing. I think it actually gets installed into the fullbuilds... but not sure on that. The launcher is a nasty piece of work.

Apparently, if you install content via the launcher, then later uninstall it, you don't get your hard drive space back. At least thats Pescado's word on the subject, and I tend to believe him.
Forum Resident
#6 Old 4th Aug 2009 at 7:14 AM
Why doesn't that surprise me? Although I'm sure if you did a complete wipe of the game and deleted your whole 'my documents' folder (like you would if you wanted to completely reinstall the game and start again from scratch), theoretically whatever was taking up space shouldn't be there, since the launcher saves it somewhere in the documents folder. That's only theoretically, though, which doesn't mean much when it comes to EA.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 4th Aug 2009 at 7:19 AM
The stuff thats saved in my documents is just a backup. The meat of the files (what the game actually accesses) goes in fullbuild (I think). Fullbuild is where EA saw fit to mash together ALL the games textures, wall templates, objects, clothes, hair, etc. into one giant messy file.

You would have to uninstall and reinstall to get it back.

...Of course I could be completely wrong about all of this.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 4th Aug 2009 at 8:18 AM
Ehh the launcher is EVIL!
it doesnt install things properly or at all!
then when i try to use another program it makes my neibourhood go all screwwy with mountains in the ocean and ocean inside my home and ehh!!! i think its reminance of the .sims3pack files still loaded with the launcher
so in short sim3launcher = BAD!~
Field Researcher
#9 Old 4th Aug 2009 at 9:43 AM
... I've never had a real issue with the launcher... meh, must be luck.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 4th Aug 2009 at 11:09 AM
maybe its trying to butter you up so when the time comes to take over the world with its launcheryness it can count on you to be a minion!
Test Subject
#11 Old 4th Aug 2009 at 12:13 PM
i'm sorry, I just can't seem to find instructions to unistall sims3pack custom content anywhere...
I don't get any "unistall" button/icon in the launcher or in the game, even if I select the object in the launcher or CAS.
moreover, I deleted an item in the launcher then I found out that it was not unistalled, it just doesn't show up anymore in the launcher but it does in the game.
what do I have to do to uninstall something I installed with the launcher?

I downloaded 3viewer but I couldn't figure out how to use it
I swear, I'm not a sims 3 newbie...

kisses from italy

kisses from Italy :)
my english isn't as perfect as I'd like it to be, sorry! :o)
Forum Resident
#12 Old 4th Aug 2009 at 12:24 PM
One of the perils of the launcher, right there. If it's being stupid about uninstalling things (I had the same issue, or a similar one) then it is bloody hard to get rid of it. Throw in being on a mac and you're basically screwed unless you reinstall! (Damn launcher). But yeah, if you've already tried uninstalling it through the launcher without any luck I won't be much help. I tried a few programs and I couldn't get any to work (be it that they wouldn't run on a mac or I just couldn't work out how to do it). But there *are* other programs to download if you really want to give it a go. I don't really have links for them, but I'm sure google can provide some (I think that's what I did to track down programs).
Test Subject
#13 Old 4th Aug 2009 at 12:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by haylz320
But yeah, if you've already tried uninstalling it through the launcher without any luck I won't be much help. I tried a few programs and I couldn't get any to work (be it that they wouldn't run on a mac or I just couldn't work out how to do it).

thanks haylz! I had read somewhere that selecting an item in the launcher would enable the "uninstall" button/icon/whatever, but it never happened to me: I still have "install", "remove", "show" (I don't know how it's translated in the english version). If I click on "install" I only get a message: the content is obviously already installed! (you never know: I try everything )

I felt a little bit stupid because I read "you can easily uninstall via the launcher" in some forums but I never got able to!

kisses from Italy :)
my english isn't as perfect as I'd like it to be, sorry! :o)
Forum Resident
#14 Old 4th Aug 2009 at 12:55 PM
Well, in a perfect world, it should be easy to uninstall. But since the launcher is fail, it isn't usually as easy as they make it out to be. Selecting an item *should* bring up or make selectable the 'uninstall' button. My guess is that if it isn't doing that, some is buggy with either the installed content or the launcher. No real surprises there.
Alchemist
#15 Old 4th Aug 2009 at 4:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Shikonah
... I've never had a real issue with the launcher... meh, must be luck.

I haven't had any launcher problems either, which is good because I haven't been able to figure out 3viewer
Test Subject
#16 Old 5th Apr 2010 at 11:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by JaneSamborski
The launcher copies the sims3pack to the downloads as a backup. It also leaves a backup in a DCCache or some such thing. I think it actually gets installed into the fullbuilds... but not sure on that. The launcher is a nasty piece of work.

Apparently, if you install content via the launcher, then later uninstall it, you don't get your hard drive space back. At least thats Pescado's word on the subject, and I tend to believe him.

I actually came here looking for info on that. I don't think it's only the launcher that does that - I think it's the sims3pack files too. I was transferring sims3pack files to another computer using my flash drive and when ever I deleted the sims3pack files they still took up space. I checked for hidden files and whatnot and it was all showing up blank, yet my 4 gigs were gone. I ended up reformatting and wondering if it was doing the same to my hard drive...
Test Subject
#17 Old 2nd Jun 2013 at 2:15 PM
Default simsss
Quote: Originally posted by JaneSamborski
I prefer to not install .sims3packs via the launcher: I use the 3viewer to extract them into my mods folder. It's here.

.sims3pack files go in, .packages come out. Then you can S3PE them. Don't know what you can do about stuff you've already installed though.

Hiya! So I downloaded the program you're using, but I'm struggling to understand it to be honest and I'm usually pretty tech savy. I've not dealt with these types of files before except just normal .package files...so right now my only option is to go through the damn ea launcher which tends to crash on me for some reason and take 10 million years!
One Minute Ninja'd
#18 Old 2nd Jun 2013 at 3:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MissDemelza
Hiya! So I downloaded the program you're using, but I'm struggling to understand it to be honest and I'm usually pretty tech savy. I've not dealt with these types of files before except just normal .package files...so right now my only option is to go through the damn ea launcher which tends to crash on me for some reason and take 10 million years!

Well, back in 2009, when this necro'd thread is from, I guess 3viewer was the way to go, but now in 2013, CC Magic is the better solution. Google it. Lots of folks seem to like it.
Test Subject
#19 Old 11th Aug 2014 at 7:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by wildchloee
thanks haylz! I had read somewhere that selecting an item in the launcher would enable the "uninstall" button/icon/whatever, but it never happened to me: I still have "install", "remove", "show" (I don't know how it's translated in the english version). If I click on "install" I only get a message: the content is obviously already installed! (you never know: I try everything )

I felt a little bit stupid because I read "you can easily uninstall via the launcher" in some forums but I never got able to!

Probably answered by now (haven't made it through the complete section)...Buuut, In the launcher, there's your Download section and your Installed Content section.... the "Uninstall" option is located in the INSTALLED CONTENT area. <Cf: Welcome, Downloads, Uploads, Installed Content, Game Updates.