Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
#101 Old 13th Feb 2010 at 3:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jenieusa
i have also alt-tabbed many times since installing HELS....

Just out of curiosity, are you using the disc version of HELS? It seems like this problem is primarily affecting people with the 3.1 patch for the digital download version.

So I'm like, "Cool! What should I get? Brain in a jar... monkey's paw... ooh, pie!"
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#102 Old 13th Feb 2010 at 3:39 PM
You may have a point there, wonder what the difference is..... hmmmm
Instructor
#103 Old 13th Feb 2010 at 4:41 PM
I just installed the HELS pack and have had no trouble at all. I'm counting myself very lucky in that regard. Although, I only allowed the game to update at the beginning of the installation, I by-pass the Launcher entirely. That may be the saving grace, however.

I am an Angel who has tamed the Dragon. For I am NOT crunchy, NOR good with ketchup!
Scholar
#104 Old 13th Feb 2010 at 4:45 PM
Quote:
are you using the disc version of HELS?

yes i am....hmm....never considered the digital version....
Test Subject
#105 Old 16th Feb 2010 at 3:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Fernweather
Just out of curiosity, are you using the disc version of HELS? It seems like this problem is primarily affecting people with the 3.1 patch for the digital download version.

Check and check. Both apply to me, and I'm having the same issues.
Mad Poster
#106 Old 16th Feb 2010 at 5:55 AM
trying different approaches, I may have come up with a solution to Alt - Tab flaw. I have installed each patch as they came out. However, I knew the last patch updated Base game from 1.9 to 1.10 and HELS from 3.0 to 3.1, but didn't update WA.

I had actually decided to uninstall HELS because the lack of Alt-Tab ability, so I did. During the uninstall, a message was displayed letting me know the game may not work until I updated. So after the uninstall completed, I fired up the launcher and checked for updates. WA was updated from 2.4 to 2.5. Just out of curiosity, I reinstalled HELS and tested...... Alt-Tab functionality was restored!!
Test Subject
#107 Old 16th Feb 2010 at 6:00 AM
Oo! I will try this as well. Thanks, werismyki!
Mad Poster
#108 Old 16th Feb 2010 at 6:24 AM
hmmm, nevermind, spoke prematurely. I forgot I had to update HELS again from 3.0 to 3.1 and when I did, the Alt-Tab flaw is back.
Field Researcher
#109 Old 16th Feb 2010 at 1:32 PM
I received a disc copy of HELS for Valentines Day, so I uninstalled the digital download version, installed the disc version, and updated to 3.1. And, sure enough, the alt-tab bug was gone. Just to test, I reinstalled the digital download and patched it up, and the bug returned.

So it does appear to be limited to the digital download version. I'm not sure why one version would contain a bug that the other doesn't, but there you have it.

So I'm like, "Cool! What should I get? Brain in a jar... monkey's paw... ooh, pie!"
Field Researcher
#110 Old 16th Feb 2010 at 5:46 PM
I have hels and I never got the Alt tab bug. But the bug I did get, I have yet to find any one else have. When I update my Hels with the page. The game will not play AT ALL. That is to say. It goes to the loading screen, gets ALLL the way to the end of the progrress bar and then thats it. I uninstalled patched Hels reinstalled it and it works. At first I had forgotten to take out my game saves and custom content. so I thought that was the problem, Did a clean reinstall of everything and I updated as I went. Then patched it. Game locked up and I couldn't play. So I can only guess Its because I have the Digital Download Version of the game. So Im just not going to patch until the next one,. because im sure as HECK not going to go and BUY a disc when I already paid for these downloaded versions.
Scholar
#111 Old 16th Feb 2010 at 5:51 PM
Good grief! I'm glad you all posted about your troubles with digital download. I've been snowed in pretty much since HELS came out. My 20 year old tiny econobox car can't be trusted in bad weather anymore. So I was thinking of getting the digital download version. I've been really wanting that aquarium.
Field Researcher
#112 Old 16th Feb 2010 at 6:00 PM Last edited by ChaoticNeutral : 16th Feb 2010 at 6:51 PM.
I don't have HELS but I just installed the latest two patches for both the basegame and WA. I always install them manually, downloading the .exe instead of relying on the launcher. Removed mods, changed some camera file back to its original (which was kept on the folder with a huge ORIGINAL on its name for that purpose), the four patches installed like a charm. Got everything back on, including the camera tweaks, the game runs as smoothly as before.

I have noticed, however, a big change in the game lighting. Before patching, I didn't have that "glow effect" people complain about. There was some glow going on over objects that were directly under light sources. But now anything near a lamp glows with the fury of a thousand suns. It's ridiculously unnatural. But it only affects objects near lamps. I can live with that during play, but it ruins screenshots.

Edit: By the way, the sims that were in some sort of activity (playing chess, using the exercise machines, etc) jumped off whatever they were doing upon entering the game the first time after patching. And there is one "derelict vehicle" with no driver - I'll be searching for the safest way to get rid of it, in case it's not enough to simply delete it.

You want to know the Secret... so did I. Low in the dust I sought it, and on high. No agony of any mortal brain shall wrest the secret of the life of man. The Search has taught me that the Search is vain.
Banned
#113 Old 16th Feb 2010 at 10:01 PM
I have a question, since I got HELS and the patch that came with it, my Sims store merchandise won't show up. I've tried reinstalling it, but no luck. I don't have a TON from the store, but it still sort of bugs me that the hair, clothes or objects no longer show up. Help?
Lab Assistant
#114 Old 16th Feb 2010 at 10:15 PM
I just patched from 1.0 to 1.10 with only 1 problem seems reasonable? But the ruddy launcher now wont work and I can't use my new water feature -cry-
Scholar
#115 Old 16th Feb 2010 at 11:20 PM
My game is fully patched. Even my Launcher says my game is up to date. But when I try to download worlds off their Exchange, they say my game is not up to date. 2.5.12.004001 with base game and WA--should be correct, right? I've had one or two minor glitches since my fresh reinstall and fresh patching. Once I could not regain a trait that got lost when I put a Young Adult into Teen and then put them back to Adult again in Create A Sim. The slot was there but it refused to accept the trait. And I had one sim refuse to talk to another for a moment. She wouldn't walk to where she needed to be until I queued up another conversation talking point for her to use in addition to her first one. Odd. I don't relish seeing tiny glitches so early into a fresh install. Experience of that in Sims2 always meant something deeper went wrong that is going to just compound itself the longer I play. Poo!
Lab Assistant
#116 Old 17th Feb 2010 at 12:08 AM
After installing HELS and patching it to 3.1, none of my sims have their skills anymore. They are all gone! Is this just an issue with HELS? I also noticed that the CC I made in game with EA clothing disappeared also!
Mad Poster
#117 Old 17th Feb 2010 at 3:08 AM
summersong, look in program C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin and C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 World Adventures\Game\Bin for this file - skuversion.txt. double click to open it and see what each version is on the first line

WA - GameVersion = 2.5.12.004001
Sims3 - GameVersion = 1.10.6.004001
HELS - GameVersion = 3.1.7.004017
Scholar
#118 Old 17th Feb 2010 at 5:13 AM Last edited by summersong86 : 17th Feb 2010 at 5:27 AM.
Werismyki, got the following info:

Base Game skuversion.txt info reads as follows:
GameVersion = 1.10.6.004001
Code:0.RL-2.0.92
Asset:1.Content.sbsp.42
Thumbnails:1.Thumbnail.dl.1200
TCC:1.TCC.dl.2052
CiderVersion#003365

World Adventures--note it says TCC and thumbnail info is unknown. Is that normal or unusual? I've not a clue what those things are. Going to see if I can find the info in Game Help or somewhere.

GameVersion = 2.5.12.004001
Code:0.RL-2.0.93
Asset:1.ep1-0.rl.14
Thumbnails:Unknown
TCC:Unknown
CiderVersion#003305

EDIT: Google is my friend. Found the answer--yes that is "normal". Found the info on a cached version of a page on EA's official forums. Oddly enough I can't get into their regular forums especially if I'm logged in. I can only see their forums if I toss my cookies.
Test Subject
#119 Old 19th Feb 2010 at 10:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Fernweather

I Buy my games on disc(because I like to collect them and see the boxes ond the shelf) but since it's so annoying to put the disc in every time, I'm using EAM version.

Either way, I think The Sims 3 is a great game, I just think most users are annoyed because the loss of content and were used to the sims 2 kind of gameplay...(And some bugs do help to scare fans away).

I miss vampires
Lab Assistant
#120 Old 20th Feb 2010 at 5:13 AM
Does anyone know if HELS automatically patches the base game during install? Since EA fudged the launcher, I'm reinstalling the game and going to manually patch it to 1.7 so I can still install .sims3pack through the launcher. I'm just curious if HELS either A) automatically updates the base game or b) won't install unless you update the base game.
Banned
#121 Old 20th Feb 2010 at 5:32 AM
i believe it is a
Mad Poster
#122 Old 20th Feb 2010 at 7:10 AM
HELS is just an install, you must patch your game first, then install HELS.
Page 5 of 5