Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Sep 2013 at 10:35 PM
Good lifespan setting for legacy?
Can anyone who's done a legacy before please tell me what the best lifespan to put it on is, in your opinion?
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 25th Sep 2013 at 10:49 PM
Well, you're supposed to play it on a normal one. But I never play my legacies by the rules, so I always go for 'long' at least. :P

I am not pretty. I am not beautiful. I am as radiant as the sun.

coming soon to a tumblr near you:
The Disney 10-Gen Legacy Challenge
Hunger Games Challenge
Scholar
#3 Old 25th Sep 2013 at 11:37 PM
My only suggestion would be to extend the young adult stage a bit and shorten the Elder stage. This is mostly due to the fact that Elders can live anywhere between 10-30 days past the "end" of their lifespan

Just call me Blake! :)
Hola, hablo español también - Hi, I speak Spanish too.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 26th Sep 2013 at 12:06 AM
I set it on Long but made the toddler and baby stages shorter lol.
One Minute Ninja'd
#5 Old 26th Sep 2013 at 12:27 AM
My typical adjusted long of late works out to baby 2 days, toddler 7 days, child 14 days, teen 18 days, YA 80 days, A 90 days, elder 1 day. I go with elder as 1 day for the reason Blake provided above, they live for quite a while after the "clock runs out", and this feels a bit more realistic for my play. Also, my teens are a bit shorter than typical because I allow my children to read skill books, so there's no waiting until the teen years for them to begin learning some skills and taking all that teen time to sit around reading skill books. I prefer them to fully socialize as teens.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 26th Sep 2013 at 12:33 AM
I play on normal. About the only time I do.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 26th Sep 2013 at 1:36 AM
O.O OMFG YOU POSTED ON MY THREAD!!!

Sorry for the over-reaction lol. Anyways I put baby on 2 days and toddler on 5 and left the rest as the default for long lol.
Scholar
#8 Old 26th Sep 2013 at 1:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Birdflame

When you typed that where you more like this

or this?

Just call me Blake! :)
Hola, hablo español también - Hi, I speak Spanish too.
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 26th Sep 2013 at 2:27 AM
epically long

TS2 and TS3: Where adult sims potty train their toddlers.
TS4: Where adult sims make Angry Poops.

Which game is made for the juvenile minded?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 26th Sep 2013 at 2:53 AM
BAHAHA both. :D
Scholar
#11 Old 26th Sep 2013 at 11:58 AM
Normal age span with the ages adjusted as such:

Baby: 2 days
Toddler: 4 days
Child: 6 days
Teen: 14 days
Young Adult/Adult: 25 days
Elder: 14 days

Still all adds up to 90 days, basically chops from baby, toddler, child, and elder and places the spare days on young adult/adult.
Theorist
#12 Old 26th Sep 2013 at 3:12 PM
I always play EPIC lifespan and for legacies, its perfect for my game style. I have babies at 5 days, toddlers for 15 - just long enough to read all the baby books and skill up, child for 75 and the rest at max.

Life is short, insecurity is a waste of time. ~Diane Von Furstenburg
You don't get out of life alive. ~Jimmy the Hand

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 26th Sep 2013 at 3:43 PM
I play my stories on EPIC!!! So I can have so many babies
Mad Poster
#14 Old 26th Sep 2013 at 7:09 PM
I get a little OCD with my settings. I always go by seven-day intervals, which means that each Sim's birthday will always fall on the same day.

Baby: 7 days
Toddler: 7 days
Child: 14 days
Teen: 28 days
YA: 28 days
Adult: 28 days
Elder: 14 days

Baby through child stages equates to 28 days because, say, a YA has a baby early in the stage, they'll be an adult when the child becomes a teen and an elder when the child becomes a YA, giving them plenty of time to be around for any possible grandchildren. Plus, 28 days equate to one month, which means baby through child is one month, teen is one month, YA and adult are one month each, and elder CAN be one month with the added two weeks after its end (it seems to be two weeks most of the time when I play with elders). So, that's five months total in the game (126-140 days). And believe it or not, it's not as long as you'd think. Time flies!

Not surprisingly, I keep my seasons as seven days each to keep them always falling on the same day. It irks me that the moon phases cannot be set to seven days, so I just set it to eight. *sigh*
Mad Poster
#15 Old 26th Sep 2013 at 7:46 PM
7 days, one for each life stage. Breed 'em like Fruit Flies.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 27th Sep 2013 at 9:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Birdflame

O.O Not sure if you're freaking out over me or eskie...

Quote: Originally posted by lisfyre
I always play EPIC lifespan and for legacies, its perfect for my game style. I have babies at 5 days, toddlers for 15 - just long enough to read all the baby books and skill up, child for 75 and the rest at max.

Quote: Originally posted by nnediz
I play my stories on EPIC!!! So I can have so many babies

HOW DO NEITHER OF YOU GET HORRIBLY BORED

SERIOUSLY

I had to cut epic down to long in all my saves because aauuuuhghhhhhghedefh so bored. Fuck you short attention span.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 27th Sep 2013 at 9:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BL00DIEDHELL
O.O Not sure if you're freaking out over me or eskie...

You

Quote: Originally posted by BL00DIEDHELL
I had to cut epic down to long in all my saves because aauuuuhghhhhhghedefh so bored. Fuck you short attention span.

I've never played a sim family for more than a few days. :/ And I have mine on long lol.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 27th Sep 2013 at 10:06 PM
O.O I didn't think my posts were worth freaking out about!

I tend to jump around from game to game personally. I have a...not necessarily a long lost of games, but enough to have to scroll through them like "do I want to play more of my legacy, more of my brothel or my makeshift camp grounds?"

And then I get a totally arbitrary idea that sounds interesting until the Sims are made and then boredom sets in.
Top Secret Researcher
#19 Old 27th Sep 2013 at 10:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by frankie
Baby through child stages equates to 28 days because, say, a YA has a baby early in the stage, they'll be an adult when the child becomes a teen and an elder when the child becomes a YA, giving them plenty of time to be around for any possible grandchildren. Plus, 28 days equate to one month, which means baby through child is one month, teen is one month, YA and adult are one month each, and elder CAN be one month with the added two weeks after its end (it seems to be two weeks most of the time when I play with elders). So, that's five months total in the game (126-140 days). And believe it or not, it's not as long as you'd think. Time flies!

Why would a sim be an elder by the time their child is a young adult, though? It takes a human 18 years to reach adulthood (or at least reach the end of school, not counting university) according to most legal definitions- surely a couple would only be middle-aged (and therefore adults rather than elders) by that point if they had their child or children during the young adult stage?

I personally interpret the young adult stage as representing age 18-40, the adult stage as 40-65 (based on it being when a mid-life crisis can occur- it seems to be intended as a middle-aged stage, even if it doesn't always look that way) and the elder stage as post-retirement age. A possible setup based on that would be to set the time it takes for a sim to grow from birth to maturity to be equal to the time it takes for a sim to get through one of the young adult or adult stages, so a sim that has children as early as possible (presumably around 19-20 in real-world terms) will be nearly ready to age up to a 40-ish adult by the time their first child ages up from a teen.

(Remember, of course, that the teen stage has always been disproportionately long in both TS2 and TS3 by default- if anything, it should be shorter than the child stage, given that 5-12 is a slightly longer section of a human lifespan than 13-18. But it never is)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#20 Old 27th Sep 2013 at 10:18 PM
*faints* ERMAGERD MINGHAM IS HERE TOO. Oh right, I actually posted a question. :D
Field Researcher
#21 Old 27th Sep 2013 at 10:43 PM
Mine is set to the game default, on normal. I feel like when I have my life span set to long or epic that my game slows down quite a bit and that I seem to get more save errors. Plus I get tired of my Sims after awhile, I need to have a regular turnover so that I don't get bored with my families