Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Mar 2015 at 6:27 PM
Default FPS Limiter for CAW?
Hey everyone,

I haven't played much with the Create-A-World tool but I have an itch to make some modifications to a world (or two... ), so I started up create a world and noticed coil whine from my GPU. I've never heard that from this GPU before.

I actually just got back into TS3 since discovering this framerate limiter since the last time I had tried playing, my game would lag and stutter because no form of vsync or whatever works for this game, even my AMD Catalyst Control Center's option doesn't make a difference. I actually did have TS3 kill my HD 6850 a couple of years ago. Since then I've been running an HD 7850, which is much better overall. I knew I was getting really high framerates but I didn't know that was causing the lag or how to fix it until I found that link I posted above. Since then it's made the game playable again, and my GPU isn't rendering anywhere from 200FPS and above, and my CPU isn't being bottlenecked by it. So, that's why I've returned to this game.

Now, that fps limiter only works in conjunction with 3booter, which only works for booting TS3. In the CAW application, my framerate is about 1500FPS and, especially since I'm hearing that coil whine, I don't want to fry this graphics card as well, and CAW can get pretty laggy too since the framerate is bottlenecking my CPU.

So, does anybody know of any solution to limiting the framerate of CAW, or should I throw my old computer back together and slap in my old 9500GT so it doesn't render too many FPS?
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#2 Old 16th Mar 2015 at 3:08 AM
I figured it out. I found a thread on Steam which explains how to get FPS Limiter working with another game, and has a download link for it. I lost the page so I can't link to it. But anyway, I followed the instructions and selected CAW.exe as the targeted file and the FPS is limited to 30 now, just like TS3. I could even use that program to start up TS3 instead of the one that works with 3booter, since 3booter is unnecessary for me... but anyway, guess I should leave well-enough alone.

If I find that link again I can post it here in case anyone else has trouble setting it up, I never found anything on here in a search.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 9th May 2015 at 3:20 PM
Perhaps this is what you are talking about?

http://forums.steampowered.com/foru...d.php?t=1820131
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 9th May 2015 at 4:30 PM
Is there any way to limit the fps without third party software? I know I was able to limit the fps of the actual game by enabling v-sync through my graphics card software or is there no choice with CAW?
Instructor
#5 Old 14th Jul 2015 at 5:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Aldakoopa
I followed the instructions and selected CAW.exe as the targeted file and the FPS is limited to 30 now, just like TS3. I could even use that program to start up TS3 instead of the one that works with 3booter, since 3booter is unnecessary for me...

I think you are using FPS Limiter 02 cause I also have tried FPSL 02 for CAW and yes it works.

But I'm not sure if it also works when I use "edit in game" tool in CAW, because CAW launched TS3 to have it run "edit in game" function. In this case I assumed only CAW.exe that runs FPSL but NOT TS3W.exe because it was launched through CAW.

Therefore to run CAW with FPS Limiter, I think it's better to use Nvidia Inspector for NVidia GPUs or MSI afterburner for ATi GPUs and set it up for Global usage profile (Base profile) so the system will limit FPS usage overall, it won't by pass its maximum cap no matter what game/program is being launched.