Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Sep 2015 at 12:15 PM
Default Can Custom Worlds Run Without All EPs?
Hi, lovely forumgoers! I hope I've categorized this properly. I have a bit of a silly question for you today.

I'm interested in downloading some very fine custom worlds, and am wondering to what degree the success of their installation is dependent on having all the creator-listed EPs installed. For instance, if I were to install a world like Dronningslund (http://fagersims.tumblr.com/post/87...res-description) or Barcelona (http://nilxisdesigns.blogspot.com.e...na-english.html) without WA or IP, would they be nonfunctional?

I ask because right now I have the base game (ofc ), Late Night, Generations, Seasons, and Supernatural, and would love it if I didn't have to spend the $20 on another EP (or two). I'm also a little afraid of installing IP, because I've only ever heard tales of catastrophe (although apparently it works as long as you don't use the included Isla Paradiso map?).

Thank you so much!! :lovestruc
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 30th Sep 2015 at 12:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by applecider10
Hi, lovely forumgoers! I hope I've categorized this properly. I have a bit of a silly question for you today.

I'm interested in downloading some very fine custom worlds, and am wondering to what degree the success of their installation is dependent on having all the creator-listed EPs installed. For instance, if I were to install a world like Dronningslund (http://fagersims.tumblr.com/post/87...res-description) or Barcelona (http://nilxisdesigns.blogspot.com.e...na-english.html) without WA or IP, would they be nonfunctional?

I ask because right now I have the base game (ofc ), Late Night, Generations, Seasons, and Supernatural, and would love it if I didn't have to spend the $20 on another EP (or two). I'm also a little afraid of installing IP, because I've only ever heard tales of catastrophe (although apparently it works as long as you don't use the included Isla Paradiso map?).

Thank you so much!! :lovestruc

I don't know about this specific world you want to install but when a creator puts down "needs all EPS" or "I have X eps and stuff packs" and they build something, it's pretty much assumed you need those things to run the world right. Maybe the game will replace some objects with others (when your game loads it will say some items were missing or could not be loaded).

Seems like a good way to mess up your game, IMO.

I only have 3 EPS and the base game (and I have not installed one of them this time because of lag) so when I wanted a custom world, I just looked for a base world to use.

These are just my thoughts. I am sure others can advise you better. Good luck.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
#3 Old 30th Sep 2015 at 12:58 PM
I don't bother with worlds that send me on a scavenger hunt for custom content any more.

Expansion packs? Okay.
EA Stuff packs? Groan.
Custom Content? REALLY! And the link is dead or it takes me to a virus infected page.

I'm not doing that. Besides, most of the custom worlds are either too big, too buggy, or they leave something I find essential out. I don't want to go and gather all this stuff just to find that the world isn't that good or it breaks my sim 3 game and I have to un-install and re-install the sims.

That's why I only use mods and worlds I find on sims3 or modthesims.
dodgy builder
#4 Old 30th Sep 2015 at 1:45 PM
I made a big world needing all exp and I use Ralpaelninja's gameselector frequently when making houses. I often forget how I set the gameselector up and install it anyway. I end up with dark patches where the equestrian center is and such.

On the other hand one of my testers had a serious problem with installing the world and had to reinstall the entire machine because she didn't have Ambitions.

Basically it's up to you, nothing is certain in life. You can take a chance if you consider losing your comp NOT the end of the world, otherwise make sure you have what's needed.
Alchemist
#5 Old 30th Sep 2015 at 2:35 PM
Be careful when installing certain worlds. If you choose to install them as .sims3packs, they may come with other content that installs in your game but which you cannot remove (the Launcher will just complain that there is something in the game that "needs" those files, even if you aren't actively playing that world).

If you're concerned about something not working right, you can contact the creator of the world and ask them what part of their creation needs which EP (for example, if WA is needed for decor).

Quote:
I'm also a little afraid of installing IP, because I've only ever heard tales of catastrophe (although apparently it works as long as you don't use the included Isla Paradiso map?).

I've played in Isla Paradiso for an extended period of time (at least 30 sim weeks) and haven't really encountered many issues. Off the top of my head, the two major annoyances with it were the resetting-when-diving-in-cave bug (fixed with this mod), and how the "hidden" islands appear. I've heard people say that the visual effects on them (clouds) take a toll on the computer, but for me there were other factors (tons of unmerged packages, for example) that may have affected this as well, so I can't speak from this point of view.

Isla Paradiso is a big map, and the routing is made somewhat more difficult than in other worlds, where sims use roads, because now they boat everywhere. It's not uncommon to see abandoned boats, or sims just floating in the ocean (and you don't know if they're just hanging out or getting stuck, which leads to lag).

Tumblr - more downloads! ◾ CC reuploads / creator backupsTS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 30th Sep 2015 at 6:58 PM
Thank you all so much for your input!! I really appreciate your responses.

I see... so the prognosis isn't good. I did download a custom world once that was created for/with some expansions I didn't have, and it ran alright, but many of its lots were empty and uncategorized (so, a lot might have been a dock when the creator built it, but for me it was just an empty lot half in the water). It did lag more than it should have, too. That was a map where the lots had simply been designated as X or Y, too -- I imagine the results could be even worse if something like a pet store or a market has been physically built by a creator.

I have had fairly good luck installing custom lots and homes that claim to need all EPs, but this is probably down to the fact that their requirements are decorative and can be regenerated by the game (by and large). I'm a big fan of CC, even as frustrating as it can be, so it isn't a dealbreaker for me when it comes to custom worlds.

Although -- am I understanding right -- someone needed to replace their whole computer over an improperly integrated game map??

Oh my... the worlds I linked are SO beautiful... I really want to give them a go! I may have to download some more expansion packs and see if I can get those maps working. I wish I had more confidence in IP and Pets... :/ I never thought I would bother investing in WA or Ambitions, either!
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 30th Sep 2015 at 9:09 PM
I have both those worlds installed, was a tester for fagersims, and can tell you that without WA the worlds would be hard to play, at least Dronningslund, because the use of the bridges. Nilxis usually include the cc his worlds use but, again, the problem is often missing bridges.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 30th Sep 2015 at 9:48 PM Last edited by applecider10 : 30th Sep 2015 at 10:15 PM.
I see! Thanks, Batsheba. I've been looking around the web today and bridges do seem to be a sticking point when it comes to custom worlds. Missing bridges seem to cause unroutable lag really quickly!

Honestly, though, I think what I'm most concerned about are lots assigned to be X venue when the EP that supports that venue isn't installed. I'm thinking I'll have to lay down the cash for WA and Ambitions at least. I wish I knew what would happen if I tried to install the maps sans those EPs. I'm a bit afraid to find out, though, if it's inadvisable. I guess IP is pretty nec for the worlds in question, too?

Batsheba, can you tell me a bit about the worlds, out of curiosity? Do you enjoy them a lot? I'm also looking at Sao Paten, Vice City, Nilxis' Emporda, two of the New York worlds (Daniel's and Horus's), and Fairhaven City atm. I'd like a nice, rich city world. (Although I'm also interested in some rural maps right now, too, like Alpine Country or Lilliesund).
dodgy builder
#9 Old 1st Oct 2015 at 7:51 AM
Although -- am I understanding right -- someone needed to replace their whole computer over an improperly integrated game map??

I may be exadurating a big, but she got this serious fault in her program. She had to reinstall the game perhaps even a couple of times. I was so embarrassed, but of course it may not have had anything to do with my world. No one else has reported anything similar. I may have used a bridge from Ambitions.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 1st Oct 2015 at 4:20 PM
I see! Thanks, Batsheba. I've been looking around the web today and bridges do seem to be a sticking point when it comes to custom worlds. Missing bridges seem to cause unroutable lag really quickly!

Honestly, though, I think what I'm most concerned about are lots assigned to be X venue when the EP that supports that venue isn't installed. I'm thinking I'll have to lay down the cash for WA and Ambitions at least. I wish I knew what would happen if I tried to install the maps sans those EPs. I'm a bit afraid to find out, though, if it's inadvisable. I guess IP is pretty nec for the worlds in question, too?

Batsheba, can you tell me a bit about the worlds, out of curiosity? Do you enjoy them a lot? I'm also looking at Sao Paten, Vice City, Nilxis' Emporda, two of the New York worlds (Daniel's and Horus's), and Fairhaven City atm. I'd like a nice, rich city world. (Although I'm also interested in some rural maps right now, too, like Alpine Country or Lilliesund).

Dronningslund is beautiful and very well made, no routing issus and lot of space. For me it's also nice since it's design is Danish, I'm Swedish, so many worlds are American inspired and it's nice to see a more familiar world. Fagersim does have another smaller world, Enekjear, it comes in two flavors, one with Ip and one without, and I think the bridge used is from Twinbrook. So if you have that I think it could work.
Barcelona is a masterpiece, but so are all Nilxdis worlds, but it's big, huge, and it takes a lot for the computer. I haven't really played in it so much. Mostly checked out the extraordinary builds he made. I'm thinking my comp wouldn't really like extended play.

You could of cause try to replace missing bridges, That would of corse mean CAW and I guess permission from the creator.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 1st Oct 2015 at 11:58 PM
Had quiet a few worlds I don't have the EP's for load without many issues, but I've also had just as many crash the game while trying to load the world, so the only way to find out is to try them.
#12 Old 2nd Oct 2015 at 1:37 AM
Here's why some custom world's don't mix with certain types of gameplay and different expansion packs; in this case, IP.

basically, my alien summoned meteors in a world where sea level was just below the ground.
The meteors created a crater, which was below the sea level and made puddles.
Trying to cross the puddle, he took a water taxi. Well, he's stuck! He can't get across the puddle.

Only way to rescue the game is to reset the sim.
Screenshots