Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#101 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 3:19 AM
Lookin' good!
Advertisement
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#102 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 10:26 AM
jje1000, are you still willing to help recolor the small Chinese bridge? It is doing that thing where it ends up being waaaay darker than it should be. I think this is due to a spectral map or something ?

Anyway I ended up with this here monstrosity:

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#103 Old 30th Aug 2013 at 8:43 AM
Still messing around with the bridge. As you can see in the screenshot below, weird shadows are appearing on the side of the railing. I can't find the source of that though (it's not in the specular or texture). I went back to check the original object, and of course, it's on that too

I'd really like to get this fixed soon, since it's one of my final to do's before I can release the new bèta... So if anyone out there has any knowledge of lighting data or whatever, feel free to speak up, hehe
(I'll post this in the object creation thread too)

Field Researcher
#104 Old 30th Aug 2013 at 5:16 PM
It's not that noticeable, I honestly think it looks fine as it is. Don't worry about it.
Test Subject
#105 Old 31st Aug 2013 at 4:45 PM
I think the chinese bridge looks fine, Im loving this town so far! I cannot wait for the next beta! Any idea when it might be out?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#106 Old 31st Aug 2013 at 6:40 PM
^^ Well, I still wanted to do some more recolors but I guess people who want them but still want to start their town from the bèta can add those as CC?
In that case I can release it as soon as I build one more farm and add lot addresses to all the lots + check for lot tearing one last time. But I don't want to give a time frame in case I won't be able to keep my promise! But soon

I'll stop complaining about the bridge though, that I can promise
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#107 Old 1st Sep 2013 at 5:47 PM
(psst: I updated the first post with recent areal shots )
Lab Assistant
#108 Old 2nd Sep 2013 at 6:57 AM
Just popping in to say I've been following this thread since the beginning. This town looks just perfect these days. You have truly done wonders to poor old Twinbrook. It's such a shame how Twinbrook has this great and unique atmosphere but in the end, it's pretty much useless. So small, too many unroutable areas, not planned for expansion of any kind, the unboatable lake... The list could go on and on.

I'm really looking forward for this town to be released, even as a beta version. Thank you for all your hard work.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#109 Old 3rd Sep 2013 at 9:26 AM
Sooo... FYI: I recolored the Riverview city hall using the texture files of the Twinbrook city hall, so you will need the former in your game for this to work. I know it's technically CC but since it's free and included with the base game, is it ok for me to assume everyone at least has Riverview? All other city halls were so huge they just dwarfed my "St. Louis Cathedral", which was kind of stupid.

Instructor
#110 Old 3rd Sep 2013 at 11:18 AM
^ Yeah, I think it's fine. (Plus that city hall is cute.) I think every custom world I have has required it. *scratches head*

Well that's what happens when you're on your own and you're alright at letting nice things go
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#111 Old 10th Sep 2013 at 6:15 PM
Here are some random photos:

Houseboating in Twinbrook Derielle

Alien on a houseboat in the swamp, because why not? :p

And for the same reason:

And last but not least, here's the bowling alley + pizza parlor I built

As you can probably tell I've been playtesting. The new beta is uploading as we speak!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#112 Old 10th Sep 2013 at 6:31 PM Last edited by Simsimillian : 12th Sep 2013 at 9:18 AM.
... Et voila!

==> link to beta <==

Download this version if you don't want the Twinbrook weather:
==> DerielleNoTwinbrookFog <==

You do NOT need any CC to run this. You DO need all EP's, stuff packs (except Katy Perry's) and Riverview.

IMPORTANT NOTE: I've already noticed while playing a houseboat that while you can boat around just fine, it's impossible to get the houseboat back in the port. Now I've looked around the interwebs for an answer to this, and apart from other creators running into the same problem, it is my suspicion that this is because my ports aren't set up like the ones in Island Paradise, where the boat sort of backs into the port so that it sits with its "butt" up against the land. The reason why I didn't make mine like that is because it looks stupid. You can always put the boat back in the port by using the move ("hand") tool in edit town. I hope this isn't a dealbreaker for many people, but if it is, I'll change it anyway.

Things to look for while playtesting:
This beta should be fully playable, and if people just want to use it to start their new game, it should be totally reliable to do so. The only thing that makes it a beta version is all the empty lots that need to be filled in. Still, things to look for while playing are:
  • floating trees (yes, lord knows I spent forever getting rid of those, but there might still be some around)
  • lot tearing
  • weird routing glitches (again, these shouldn't be there, but never say never...)
  • anything else I might have missed

happy simming!

update: for those of you who were wondering: yes, you can boat under bridges (not with houseboats though), making it possible to boat anywhere in Twinbrook Derielle! It just looks weird when you are using the sailboat because that doesn't fit underneath the bridge:
Theorist
#113 Old 11th Sep 2013 at 3:01 PM
Just had a brief look, and well done sir, there are numerous improvements in this version. A few points include:

+ I can't locate where the high-rise district used to be. This is good, because whatever replaced it blends in nicely
+ Bridges are more similar to each other now, that rusty, worn look is more prevalent / coherant now.
+ Some new lots fit the hood well, like the circular town square
- Some lots are a bit random and fugly, but these may be EA lots, I can't tell :/

So basically, you are onto a winner in my book. I don't even need a swampy hood tbh, but, I am looking to incorporate this as a permanent addition to my game, as it's hard to ignore this hood with all the interesting places available for those 'lucky' sims who will live there. If there is any suggestion for improvements then maybe a few more warehouses or industrial zones / lots would be nice, but otherwise, thumbs up, certainly.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#114 Old 11th Sep 2013 at 3:03 PM
Do any of you remember this school?
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Sea Salt Academy.rar (1.85 MB, 99 downloads) - View custom content
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#115 Old 11th Sep 2013 at 3:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tizerist
- Some lots are a bit random and fugly, but these may be EA lots, I can't tell :/

Hehe, yeah I did fill out plenty of lots with pre-made EA houses, because it takes me so long to fill them all up
If anyone wants to contribute with that, they are most welcome, as long as their lot doesn't go on a space I have pre-designated for something else (but usually I've mentioned that in the lot description, à la "future pool" or some such).

PS: I'm a girl, see, my avatar has boobies
Theorist
#116 Old 11th Sep 2013 at 3:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tizerist
well done sir

Quote: Originally posted by Simsimillian
I'm a girl

Sorry. That's a good thing

#BlairWitchPetition
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Theorist
#117 Old 11th Sep 2013 at 3:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Simsimillian
plenty of lots with pre-made EA houses, because it takes me so long

I would say, don't worry about the interiors then, the town exterior should take preference, in terms of architecture. Just leave them blank inside and focus on the overall look of the town, exterior wise. If those lazy simmers can't place their own beds and sofas then tough luck
This hood will stand the test of time. It's only individual lots which let the team down. You could use the scaffolding from LN, make it a bit more grimey, a bit more industrial. I will do it myself come the time, but it could have a few more dirty areas. Remember the digger machines from AMB? Place a few of those around, it will suit the hood.

#BlairWitchPetition
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#118 Old 11th Sep 2013 at 11:02 PM
FYI: I uploaded a version that does not have the Twinbrook .inis or colour ramps so you can have more control over the weather you want (download this one if you don't want the sky to always be overcast).
The link is a few posts up with the other one.
Instructor
#119 Old 13th Sep 2013 at 4:11 AM
Wait, we need stuff packs to run this? =/ Damn. I've never bought into the idea of those; I always thought the game would just replace those objects with vanilla.

Well that's what happens when you're on your own and you're alright at letting nice things go
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#120 Old 13th Sep 2013 at 7:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by scoopy_loopy
Wait, we need stuff packs to run this? =/ Damn. I've never bought into the idea of those; I always thought the game would just replace those objects with vanilla.

^^
It might? Basically what you'll be missing is some deco items. The world itself will be fine, as there are no bridges or anything in stuff packs.
Instructor
#121 Old 14th Sep 2013 at 9:38 AM
^ Oh! That's fine then! I just read into your wording a bit too much. I don't mind loosing some objects, I can replace those if the game choses ugly things. :3

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#122 Old 17th Sep 2013 at 8:17 AM
Here's another house I built from an existing one. Now that I have them side by side like that, I see I need to make the yellow a bit darker and more orange, and maybe the entire building should be a bit more narrow.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?
Theorist
#123 Old 17th Sep 2013 at 7:20 PM
Hell yeah! I like it! Middle windows are a bit big, but, it has character, and it's a good recreation.

#BlairWitchPetition
Instructor
#124 Old 17th Sep 2013 at 10:09 PM
Yeah maybe just a bit more narrow and I think you are right on about a bit darker and slightly orangey on the yellow windows.
Lab Assistant
#125 Old 18th Oct 2013 at 6:43 PM
I really love the changes you have made to this world. Will you ever consider uplaoding and empty world version? Thanks.
Page 5 of 11