Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Sep 2015 at 2:04 AM
Default Is there a way to avoid overpopulation in uberhoods?
Hi!

As the title says, and it may sound stupid, but is there a way to avoid overpopulation in uberhoods? Mine consists of Pleasantview, Strangetown, Veronaville, Riverblossom Hills, Desiderata Valley and Bluewater Village as shopping districts. Has all three universities and Downtown attached. And population is about 1100 and I suspect most of this sims are a mix between ancestors, townies and NPCs. I've got notownieregen, anyway.

Are there any mods (or something I can do?) to reduce the population size?
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 30th Sep 2015 at 2:08 AM
You can have up to 32,000 sims so you are a long ways off yet. Do you have all the no regen mods? So only the needed NPC's are made and the 'only 1 professor' mod?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#3 Old 30th Sep 2015 at 2:11 AM
Just stop having kids and kill off a few families if you don't want too many Sims. I have a megahood with Pleasantview, Strangetown, Riverblossom Hills, and Bluewater attached with three downloadable 'hoods from here. I also have the genderbent uberhood from here. I worry about too many Sims too.

Also play in rotation so everyone ages at the same time. I get wanting to make all couples have babies because of the genetic possibilities (and I hate townie breeding too) but sometimes...you just have to say no...or do a mass genocide on many adult Sims. Maybe move in a serial killer. A black widow with a cow plant? There are many ways to stop overpopulating.

Of course...I'm evil so...these ways may not be for you.

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2
Forum Resident
#4 Old 30th Sep 2015 at 2:15 AM
I have never played an uberhood but in my normal hoods when the population grows too high I usually allow the flu to spread and it quickly kills off a ton of sims with a realistic sickness mod. I have had two out of seven households completely wiped out within a single rotation with the mod before.

The moon so bright shows me the way
Deep in the graveyard beside her I lay
Knowing she'll keep me safe from all harms
Though six feet apart, I lay in her arms...
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 30th Sep 2015 at 2:16 AM
I've got all no regen mods, so yes, there are only the needed NPC's. But what I could see is that there are still waaaay too many townies, especially university students. Really is it possible to have so many sims? I thought already reaching 1000 was overpopulation...but anyway I want to shrink my population (or at least stop students) from respawning.
Forum Resident
#6 Old 30th Sep 2015 at 2:19 AM
There is also an NPC/townie aging mod that will allow any townie/npc on the lot to age at 6pm just like the household. I just had a butler die in the current lot I am playing due to this mod. Perhaps that would help?

Scholar
#7 Old 30th Sep 2015 at 2:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Roseblossom90
There is also an NPC/townie aging mod that will allow any townie/npc on the lot to age at 6pm just like the household. I just had a butler die in the current lot I am playing due to this mod. Perhaps that would help?

I would like that mod. Do you know where to get it?

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 30th Sep 2015 at 2:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DizzyBoo
Just stop having kids and kill off a few families if you don't want too many Sims. I have a megahood with Pleasantview, Strangetown, Riverblossom Hills, and Bluewater attached with three downloadable 'hoods from here. I also have the genderbent uberhood from here. I worry about too many Sims too.

Also play in rotation so everyone ages at the same time. I get wanting to make all couples have babies because of the genetic possibilities (and I hate townie breeding too) but sometimes...you just have to say no...or do a mass genocide on many adult Sims. Maybe move in a serial killer. A black widow with a cow plant? There are many ways to stop over populating.

Of course...I'm evil so...these ways may not be for you.

I love experimenting all the genetic possibilities! , but...I'll just control my impulses. Actually I'm planning a mass murder (maybe led by Olive Specter?) or a flu epidemic.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 30th Sep 2015 at 2:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Roseblossom90

Sorry for multiposting, but where can I get it?
Theorist
#10 Old 30th Sep 2015 at 2:28 AM
I find that not having every sim have multiple babies (or even one, sometimes), taking a relaxed attitude towards marriages (if the game doesn't recognize the sims as family, it's cool - I've had plenty of second and third cousin marriages over the years), and following general zero population growth family planning principles works wonders for keeping the population down. (The basic idea is that you plan things out and have two pregnancies, to replace yourself and your spouse, and don't use fertility treatments and such to reproduce. Homosexuality, infertility, and planned childlessness will lower the total population a bit, but multiple births -- twins, triplets, etc -- and accidental pregnancies will raise it a bit, and it all comes out in the wash.)

I don't always adhere to that -- many of my sim couples have had only one child, and I've had a few that have deliberately had more than two because it fit them, or because they were part of a challenge with required pregnancies or offspring. I tend to go by lasting wants on multiple children: if my sims keep rolling the want themselves without me locking it, then they must mean it, right? But it does keep numbers relatively low, which I like because I play rotation-style and I don't like too many households.

However, if you're worried about your number of sims leading to corruption or crashing, don't. You're well below the limit.

esmeiolanthe's Live Journal and Tumblr
Most recent story update: Fuchs That! on 2/21/15
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#11 Old 30th Sep 2015 at 2:33 AM
There is a difference between having too many sims walking around and having too many sims in your character folder. I thought you were talking about character numbers. Killing them does not decrees you character number.

If you just want less walking around there are various ways.
One way is any townie you see that you don't want to see again, make them selectable and toss a prisoner tag into their inventory. That is from the Simlogical prisoner page.
Or use the visitor selector to ban certain types of sims.
Kill them off in different ways, wait a few days for the ghost to spawn and make a colourful graveyard for sims to visit.

You can also create hoods with zero townies. My current hood with Mootilda's Uni attached has 3 townies and 10 dormies. One spawned for each door and no more. If you like playing apartments there is a mod to stop the game making social townies to fill them.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 30th Sep 2015 at 2:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
One way is any townie you see that you don't want to see again, make them selectable and toss a prisoner tag into their inventory. That is from the Simlogical prisoner page.
Or use the visitor selector to ban certain types of sims.

That sounds like a good idea
Mad Poster
#13 Old 30th Sep 2015 at 3:29 AM
To cut down the population, I let sims only have 1-2 children, that way they're only replacing themselves. That's the only way I'm aware of, killing sims won't get rid of character files and as far as I know there's no 100% corruption free way of deleting sims once they come into existence.

How long have you been playing your hood for? I've been playing my megahood for about 6 months and I've only recently reached 1100 sims. I have no-regen mods (apart from 1 prof, because I like having 2) but I do have doubles of some sims and townies because I forgot to use some clean subhoods when making my megahood.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Mad Poster
#14 Old 30th Sep 2015 at 3:32 AM Last edited by marka93 : 30th Sep 2015 at 4:41 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by ekaurum
Hi!

As the title says, and it may sound stupid, but is there a way to avoid overpopulation in uberhoods? Mine consists of Pleasantview, Strangetown, Veronaville, Riverblossom Hills, Desiderata Valley and Bluewater Village as shopping districts. Has all three universities and Downtown attached. And population is about 1100 and I suspect most of this sims are a mix between ancestors, townies and NPCs. I've got notownieregen, anyway.

Are there any mods (or something I can do?) to reduce the population size?

This count of 1100 also includes all the dead sims to.

Every one of those hoods have there own townies at around 30 to 40 each one and they each have a full set of NPC at around 40 each.
Now you also have all the playables and they bring there ghost with them.
You also have added all 3 Uni hoods and Downtown and each one of them have there own sims.

1100 is not that many for all the hoods you have attached for a uberhood.

I don't know if I want to laugh or cry at this.

By nature a uberhood is suppose to have a bunch of sims in it and that's why players play them.

Now if you want to escape from having all them townies and NPC then you need to get hoods that was made using clean and empty templates like what I make.
Every one of these hoods have no townies and no NPC at the start. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Forum Resident
#15 Old 30th Sep 2015 at 3:33 AM
http://www.simbology.com/smf/index.php?topic=8104.0

Third post up from the bottom is the npc aging mod.

Scholar
#16 Old 30th Sep 2015 at 3:44 AM
thaaaanks :lovestruc

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#17 Old 30th Sep 2015 at 5:13 AM
Do be warned that if an old townie or npc is at the end of their life bar, while on your lot at 6pm, Grim will show up for them. Also teens may grow into adults so if there are any townie teens you want to send to uni do it before they age.

~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
#18 Old 1st Oct 2015 at 3:23 AM
If worse comes to worst, you can always delete them. That should be done as a last resort when your neighborhood is approaching the 32767 character file limit.
Scholar
#19 Old 1st Oct 2015 at 3:44 AM
How do you know when you have reached that limit? Does it tell you?

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#20 Old 1st Oct 2015 at 4:01 AM
32,000? I think you would have to be trying really, really hard to reach that. Probably nobody ever has.

~Call me Jo~
Theorist
#21 Old 1st Oct 2015 at 11:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DizzyBoo
How do you know when you have reached that limit? Does it tell you?

If you open your Characters folder and look at the number of files, that's how many sims you have (living, dead, townie, NPC, playable, and universal). But I agree with Jo -- this game is so fragile that I think it dies from other things before anyone has ever gotten near that file limit.

esmeiolanthe's Live Journal and Tumblr
Most recent story update: Fuchs That! on 2/21/15
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#22 Old 1st Oct 2015 at 11:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by esmeiolanthe
If you open your Characters folder and look at the number of files, that's how many sims you have (living, dead, townie, NPC, playable, and universal).

Universal sims don't have character files in the Characters folder so that doesn't include them. That doesn't matter though since they don't really contribute to neighbourhood population (since they are the same NPCs in every neighbourhood).

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Top Secret Researcher
#23 Old 1st Oct 2015 at 1:33 PM
That's an interesting question, though, and one reason I have never considered playing an uberhood. The main reason being that I still play the original hoods as they came, separately, but even if I have to restart, I don't think I will go for the uberhood option. Rotations seem to take forever and ever in those.
I find rotations too long already in regular neighbourhoods, and my sims are (usually) allowed only one child per generation.
Scholar
#24 Old 1st Oct 2015 at 4:30 PM
Let's see. If we assume 2hrs playtime per day on the weekday, and an increased 5hrs a day on the weekend, that adds up to 20hrs a week. Sim-time is 1 minute = 1 in-game hour. Say it's 1 real-world hour = 1 in-game day so that means in one week someone plays through twenty in-game days. Again say that for every real world week five sims are born and two moves/marries in (for argument's sake). The five births are new characters, while the move-ins are already-existing. Say it takes twenty real world weeks before the townie pool is exhausted and the number of new move-ins goes down to one a week (because at this point you'd be inter-marrying in your sim families).

Say 275 character files are made upon the creation of a neighbourhood, and a player adds 25 of their own sims to make a total of 300.

You would hit 32,769 (one above the maximum) on....week 5,408. Or in other words, you'd have to live for 104 years PLUS however old you are currently :D

It's a linear addition rather than exponential as the sims you are not playing are in stasis. If it was something like TS3 (where sims can marry, move in, have babies in the background), you'd go over the limit around the beginning of week 303, or after 5 years and 10ish months.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#25 Old 1st Oct 2015 at 10:17 PM
*Durp* It's too early for maths so I will trust your take on that.

~Call me Jo~
Page 1 of 2