Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Site Helper
#26 Old 29th May 2017 at 3:33 PM
Are either or both of your Sims 3 discs from before 2012?

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#27 Old 29th May 2017 at 5:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ghost sdoj
Are either or both of your Sims 3 discs from before 2012?

One is... I'm going to try using it go get rid of 1.69, which keeps messing up my game.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#28 Old 8th Jun 2017 at 11:30 PM
Thanks y'all. Didn't think this post would be so replied to.

Yes, I should have known better. But I wanted to save a lot of $$$ and that got the best of me. Who wouldn't? After all, each EP/SP is still $20. Furthermore, the games worked up until last week.

By the way, I can still download the EPs that had their keys revoked. They just won't register with the launcher. Which means I can't access any content from them; they just would hog disk space. I guess that's why EA gave us that "select your EPs"... it's an anti-key-piracy thing. So EA can selectively disable keys at will.

Is TS3 really going on sale on Steam's summer sale? If it is, I would die of pure bliss. If not, would used CD/DVD copies of TS3 work? Thanks.

~Someday my prince will come... And he better not bring all his hood's character files with him.~
@)->----- Place this ASCII flower in your sig as a thank you to all of our amazing moderators at MTS!
TS3 vs. Your CPU: The Solution
Shameless plug for my fledgeling Simblr here
Mad Poster
#29 Old 8th Jun 2017 at 11:50 PM
If you intend to still have an Origin managed game under that same account, I'm afraid I don't see how used discs would be of any help. You're still using the same Origin account to attempt to launch.

If you intend to start all over with a clean disc-only install and avoid Origin entirely, you would need an unused base game disc that was manufactured before Sept 2012 to avoid the required Origin tie-in. Sounds like you would stand to lose your purchased EA Store content this way and the discs being used would not allow you to register them. Wouldn't the path of less resistance be to return to EA Customer Support and ask them what can be done/repurchased now to lift those blocks on your account or are you still trying to avoid the cost of repurchasing that way?

Rumor has it yes on the upcoming Steam sale, which would of course come with valid Origin codes at a much lower total price overall if you weren't going to switch platforms. But guess we won't know for sure until June 22 or so.
Lab Assistant
#30 Old 9th Jun 2017 at 8:59 AM
I've had a few Stuff packs be revoked. Turns out the reason was a chargeback, the result of a failed transaction on G2A. They gave me a refund.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#31 Old 12th Jun 2017 at 5:33 PM
I'm still debating whether I will go origin free, actually. My 3 options are (in order of most to least expensive):

1. Rebuy all from steam
2. Rebuy what got revoked on origin
3. Supplement what didn't get revoked with used DVD copies

I shouldn't lose my sims store stuff because I bought one EP straight from origin, so it didn't get revoked. One registered purchase is enough to unlock EA's online stuff.

If steam's summer sale gives a good TS3 discount (haha yeah right), then I am snagging it on steam. If not, then #3 is what I would do if I didn't just cut my losses and say goodbye to TS3. I still have base game and one EP but they aren't worth it alone. Not when I've been spoiled on other EP/SPs. As one steam review put it:

"TS3 demo: $19.99
Rest of the game: $300+"

And I can't justify spending that much on a video game ever, as much as I hate to give TS3 up. Thank God I still can fall back on TS2 UC.

~Someday my prince will come... And he better not bring all his hood's character files with him.~
@)->----- Place this ASCII flower in your sig as a thank you to all of our amazing moderators at MTS!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#33 Old 12th Jun 2017 at 7:40 PM
@nitromon

Are you sure? The keys technically did work for what I estimate to be about year or more. Not sure I can get refunds that late. Furthermore, I don't really have time to deal with customer service due to an impending move and other personal situations. Worst case scenario, at least the codes worked long enough for me to get my $$'s worth.

By the way, I bet if I repurchased everything today it would go on sale at steam for a huge discount tomorrow! XD

Inventor
#34 Old 12th Jun 2017 at 8:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AmandieLove
"TS3 demo: $19.99
Rest of the game: $300+"

And I can't justify spending that much on a video game ever, as much as I hate to give TS3 up. Thank God I still can fall back on TS2 UC.

That's not necessarily true. You don't HAVE TO buy every EP and SP and Store set to have a great time playing TS3. There are some EPs that, besides some cool objects/clothing/etc., don't add much to the OVERALL, DAY TO DAY gameplay. The only EPs I consider a must are Late Night, Generations, Seasons and Pets (and maybe University Life). If you don't play with supernaturals, Indiana Jones-esque adventures, stage performances, professions, etc. you don't really NEED those EPs. Heck, if you're interested in some objects from those EPs you can find base game compatible versions on some sites. SPs are completely unnecessary for the most part. I'd say that some PC items from the Store are a better investment than SPs.
Scholar
#35 Old 12th Jun 2017 at 8:24 PM
By the way, I bet if I repurchased everything today it would go on sale at steam for a huge discount tomorrow! XD

Not tomorrow, but soon There's some discussion about the Steam sale starting on the 22nd of June (someone posted a screenshot stating that was the start of the sale) but the sale anyway is typically late June to early July, so you've not got too long to wait.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#37 Old 12th Jun 2017 at 10:46 PM
@nitromon the thing is, I knew it was too good to be true but since they worked, I was 90% sure they were legal. That 10% feeling of "oh well, EA should secure their stuff better" would make my case moot. But if I wanted illegal copies, I wouldn't pay a dime for them. I'd download them off the shady corners of the internet like every other morally bankrupt pirate does, lol.

Scholar
#39 Old 13th Jun 2017 at 6:10 PM
I'm still debating whether I will go origin free, actually. My 3 options are (in order of most to least expensive):

1. Rebuy all from steam
2. Rebuy what got revoked on origin
3. Supplement what didn't get revoked with used DVD copies

I shouldn't lose my sims store stuff because I bought one EP straight from origin, so it didn't get revoked. One registered purchase is enough to unlock EA's online stuff.

If steam's summer sale gives a good TS3 discount (haha yeah right),

Pretty sure I snarfed down a bunch of packs last year for $5-$10. They might have all been $5, actually. Looks like they were all $5 again in Sept 2016 too.

https://simsvip.com/2016/09/20/stea...ims-3-titles-5/
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#40 Old 17th Jun 2017 at 1:48 AM Last edited by AmandieLove : 17th Jun 2017 at 2:02 AM.
@gwynne Lucky you, I'm sure it won't go on sale again until the day after I buy everything at full price.

Anyway, I ordered a huge lot of DVD copies online that comes out to about $6/pack. Good news: cheaper than buying download. Bad news: I don't think DVD & steam work together so steam would be out of my options.

PS: The floor is putting TS3 DLC at a good price
via Imgflip Meme Generator

Instructor
#41 Old 17th Jun 2017 at 10:38 AM
You still have to remember that Ebay is a third party seller. It is basically an online flea market. So you are taking the risk by assuming that the product is valid. Even is the product is valid and legit, they are still selling a product that isn't theirs. If the original manufacturer thinks the reseller is profiting from their product and name, they have the legal right to dismantle that product.

If the original price of the product in store is 30 bucks and the Ebay price (in this case) is about 10-15 bucks I will assume that the is something shady about it or the seller. There are so many items been sold on Ebay that are only fraction of the "average" price. And usually these are fake or knock offs. Now I'm not saying that it's the case with this, but you are buying with your own risk by buying from online third party sellers.

I am an online shopper. Mostly I buy books that I can't find in my country or that are "too old" to be found in reguilar bookstores. So most of them are from second-hand or third party sellers. There have been cases where the books condition have been worse than the seller oginally informed. BUT since I made the consicous decicion to buy used product I can't put the whole blame on the seller.

Once again, I'm not bashing the OP and I am sympathetic toward them , just want to point out the dangers of online shopping.
Mad Poster
#42 Old 17th Jun 2017 at 11:26 AM Last edited by igazor : 17th Jun 2017 at 12:04 PM.
Not to make light of anyone's pain for a moment who got caught up in all of this, but they really should have put Online Consignment Stores into the game. Sims purchase originally expensive products online, often for a fraction of the cost compared to Build/Buy, and the next day a package arrives in the mail. Sometimes they get a real bargain, but often what arrives is not exactly what they thought they had purchased.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#43 Old 19th Jun 2017 at 3:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by miarell
You still have to remember that Ebay is a third party seller. It is basically an online flea market. So you are taking the risk by assuming that the product is valid. Even is the product is valid and legit, they are still selling a product that isn't theirs. If the original manufacturer thinks the reseller is profiting from their product and name, they have the legal right to dismantle that product.

If the original price of the product in store is 30 bucks and the Ebay price (in this case) is about 10-15 bucks I will assume that the is something shady about it or the seller. There are so many items been sold on Ebay that are only fraction of the "average" price. And usually these are fake or knock offs. Now I'm not saying that it's the case with this, but you are buying with your own risk by buying from online third party sellers.

I am an online shopper. Mostly I buy books that I can't find in my country or that are "too old" to be found in reguilar bookstores. So most of them are from second-hand or third party sellers. There have been cases where the books condition have been worse than the seller oginally informed. BUT since I made the consicous decicion to buy used product I can't put the whole blame on the seller.

Once again, I'm not bashing the OP and I am sympathetic toward them , just want to point out the dangers of online shopping.

I know, I've learned that the hard way many times (though for different kinds of items than TS3 packs). That's why I picked a seller with a good return policy and with good feedback. My mom used to sell books on eBay so she has taught me a lot. Thanks for the heads up! I knew I was in the wrong and it was my fault, yet the reason I still posted this thread was so others can learn from my mistakes and not make them themselves.

Instructor
#44 Old 19th Jun 2017 at 5:14 PM
So, grey market then? Yeah, I don't buy from any of those "stores" for that reason. I prefer to, if possible get my licenses directly from the product authors.

Origin and Steam and the likes aren't overpriced per se, their prices are all pretty standard, it's just that these shady resellers sell things for prices too good to be true.

Well, lesson learned, huh OP? I've done a lot dumber stuff than waste money like that, believe you me. So don't worry.

The Sims 4! Weirder Sims! Aren't they weird!? Look how weird they are! Bet you can't wait to see how weird their stories are!?
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#45 Old 20th Jun 2017 at 12:14 AM
@Vertisea that's why I bought one, cheap pack to start off with. I only bought more packs because the codes worked. I didn't know EA could or would revoke codes or else I'd have just saved up for buying straight from Origin, or accepted the fact that I just can't afford TS3 with much DLC and never let myself get spoiled to that standard of playing anyway.

Page 2 of 2