Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Aug 2013 at 9:50 PM
Default Has anyone made a winter type of resort?
I see that obviously there are tropical ones but any ideas for a winter one and things it should include i was thinking of making one if it was possible?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 4th Aug 2013 at 10:25 PM
Definitely so. The only issue is that in comparison to tropical resorts, winter resorts are largely centred around
ski slopes (which don't exist in the Sims world) and you may end up not having a lot to do.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 4th Aug 2013 at 11:33 PM
but i thought we got snowboards so if we wont be able to use them there then what are their purpose?
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 4th Aug 2013 at 11:35 PM
For the snowboard ramp.

As for the thread title: You can try but the game's still going to want you to put tropical things (eg a pool) in the resort.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 5th Aug 2013 at 12:25 AM
i hate how they put resorts in but made them so strict, like it has to be a beach resort.

I would suggest maybe having a ski spa sort of resort.. You could have a nice indoor pool with some massage tables, hot tubs, saunas, whatever else can be found in that sort of theme. Then you could have the outdoor 'ski slopes' with the snowboarding pipes. You could also send some sims to make igloos and snowmen to sort of set the scene.

I guess no-one really knows if it's completely possible yet or not, I'm sure we'd appreciate it if you experiment and let us know what you find! Good luck!
Test Subject
#6 Old 5th Aug 2013 at 12:31 AM
Well, I made a castle resort, people can sleep as royals or in jail cells in as prisoners (well I have to imagine they do because guests never sleep in VIP rooms). You can make a themed resort as long as it has everything else a resort requires, if you want a 5-star rasort of course.
Alchemist
#7 Old 5th Aug 2013 at 8:47 AM
A different themed resort is impossible because the game will still require you a pool, firewalk pit, and other IP exclusive stuff to count as amenities in your resort. This is why I've been looking forward to Sims MX's mod as shown here: http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...077#post4206077

Just call me Nikel
Mad Poster
#8 Old 5th Aug 2013 at 4:33 PM
Ok, now that we know it's possible (which was obvious), we're going to need to know why EA felt the need to not include any of the additional objects in the game and why they felt resorts were intended to be Caribbean only.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Mad Poster
#9 Old 5th Aug 2013 at 4:40 PM
I made a fuss about that in the IP thread. Sort of feel like the seasons are a waste if you want to make a world centered around winter activities. After all the content being released, none of it is useful for winter activities other than what comes with the winter festivals in Seasons.

At least there's the Resort RH rugs, that is a start. Hopefully SimMX's mod comes along well too.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 5th Aug 2013 at 4:58 PM
well having it be restricted is depressing hopefully that mod will be out soon because I thought we would be able to create whatever resort we wanted.
Alchemist
#11 Old 5th Aug 2013 at 5:11 PM
There's just one thing I'm concerned with Sims MX's mod... I hope if the number of amenity types are increased, it doesn't mean the resort requires every single amenity type so it will pass to be a 5-star resort.

Just call me Nikel
dodgy builder
#12 Old 5th Aug 2013 at 5:56 PM
Where I live resorts would have indoor pools and then you could possible add a really fancy indoor pool with a bar, tropical plants and stuff there. You could gather points that way.

EA is in California isn't it, they don't even see snow there as far as I know :D
Mad Poster
#13 Old 5th Aug 2013 at 7:59 PM
For the pool you could fashion it as a hot springs pool, put some fog effects over it to look like it's steaming. For activities, you could have a skating, snowboarding, you could possibly make lots of igloos for the guests to sleep in, have festival foods.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 5th Aug 2013 at 8:06 PM Last edited by matrix54 : 5th Aug 2013 at 9:02 PM.
Pool is a no-go. Sims will freeze to death upon exiting.

Mad Poster
#15 Old 5th Aug 2013 at 8:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
Pool is a no-go. Sims will free to death upon exiting.

I'll need to try this. My sims never seem to freeze badly enough for them to die from freezing.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 5th Aug 2013 at 9:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by crocobaura
For the pool you could fashion it as a hot springs pool, put some fog effects over it to look like it's steaming. For activities, you could have a skating, snowboarding, you could possibly make lots of igloos for the guests to sleep in, have festival foods.

This is a good ideas if someone plays like I do, I don't care about resort ratings and such, just create and have my sims use them. Like I posted before, the problem is they don't make use toward the ratings of the resort. So you still have to place firewalk pits, etc.

I am in the process of making something like log cabin and tents for a mountain retreat resort, want to put the pool indoors this time because although the hot tubs are useful for freezing sims, I get tired of looking around for the idiots that are too cold and inviting them to the hot tub so they can warm up. Maybe an outdoor fireplace will help.

Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Alchemist
#17 Old 5th Aug 2013 at 9:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
Where I live resorts would have indoor pools and then you could possible add a really fancy indoor pool with a bar, tropical plants and stuff there. You could gather points that way.

EA is in California isn't it, they don't even see snow there as far as I know :D

Actually, we do see snow in the mountains, and a big part of California's resort industry revolves around ski resorts and mountain lodges.

If they were just basing resort themes on what's available locally, they would have made a big pricey drug rehab in Malibu, golfing in Palm Springs or a ski resort in the mountains. We aren't a very island-y state, lol.
Eminence Grise
#18 Old 6th Aug 2013 at 1:13 AM
Big issue for me with a ski resort is that sims WILL sunbathe at a resort, regardless of the temperature. I had some freezing mornings in IP (just have spring and summer but had an unysually cold spring one year), and sims at the resort were still lying out on towels :/

That behavior should be killable with a mod though.

As for pools, indoor pool or even basement pool would work fine. I don't really see a problem with firewalking etc at a winter resort for that matter... nothing particularly tropical about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firewalking .
Mad Poster
#19 Old 6th Aug 2013 at 2:02 AM
Sim: Excuse me player while I slip out of my outerwear into everyday in freezing temps to take only my shoes off, inevitably freezing to death because I lack the proper AI to dress appropriately.

One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#20 Old 6th Aug 2013 at 8:51 AM
Yeah, like Srikandi says, the resort seems to push sims to sunbathe - including in the middle of the night in the pouring rain and snow. Another thing needs modding methinks. At least in TS2 it was the sand that had the interaction (I think)

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Inventor
#21 Old 6th Aug 2013 at 2:55 PM
First of all, I should say that I build hotels, not resorts. I've been to hotels that offer all the amenities Eaxis is offering (well, except the firewalk) and none claimed to be a "resort". For me a resort is the whole place, not just one complex, however big it might be. Also, L don't care for rating either; a provincial French hotel is much more fun to recreate than a "resort".

Back to the topic: I have two hotels in Hidden Springs. The one I built is a big (for the game) and rather dull one of the type you can find in all European ski resorts.

This is just the ground floor. I put in everything I could think of - an indoor swimming pool with all the usual amenities (badly missing: lockers) in the annex, two saunas and two massage room, a fitness room (a gym really, but that's what they are called nowadays), a breakfast room and a bar with a dance podium. There is even a room where skiers must leave their equipment. (A small problem: no skiers.) It's still not finished - I haven't decided yet what I should put in the space on the right; maybe an "Irish pub" and a sort of gaming room - marriage chapel seems silly to me. Rooms are on the first floor, 3 VIPs (with balconies), 4 doubles and 2 singles. (Frankly, I would not recommend these two.) Everything functions well, except that it is mostly empty and therefore somehow creepy.

This man came to the hotel on the first evening to give my Sim an acupuncture, adding to the general creepiness of the place. If TS3 was a really good game, this could lead to some interesting situations; as it was, my Sim survived without a problem.

And now for something even more interesting:

I took a good look at the Redwood Heights Luxury Lodge and noticed that it is actually an almost finished hotel. All you have to do is to recategorize it, add the rug (I did not want to change anything in the main building so that's what the small "magazine" in the front is for; actually, the rug is in its basement because I wanted to see if that would be a problem - it is not), add the reception desk (there's enough space for that), a buffet table or two (again, enough space), set everything up and you are ready to go. An interesting detail: it was never empty and on the first night, two of the remaining three rooms were occupied, giving it a much more pleasant feeling.

And then there is, of course, the fabulous view.

The more I play Hidden Springs, the more I wonder about it. It seems to me that it was originally designed - very well - as a holiday world, a sort of spa/winter/summer sports combination (not unusual at all) with some fairytale flair added to the mixture, and then everything went wrong. I guess we can imagine the reasons for that.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 6th Aug 2013 at 5:36 PM
Thanks Pico about the Lodge in Hidden Springs, I may have to check it out again, although I did remove it for more homes.

dodgy builder
#23 Old 6th Aug 2013 at 5:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by calisims
If they were just basing resort themes on what's available locally, they would have made a big pricey drug rehab in Malibu

Sounds like a great plan, I see some high walls and rooms with chairs facing each other :p
Alchemist
#24 Old 6th Aug 2013 at 6:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
Sounds like a great plan, I see some high walls and rooms with chairs facing each other :p

Was thinking more like this:

It's an unparalleled recovery experience

http://www.promises.com/locations/malibu/
Eminence Grise
#25 Old 7th Aug 2013 at 1:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by calisims
It's an unparalleled recovery experience

Do they take sims addicts?
Page 1 of 2