Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Mar 2014 at 8:16 AM
Default New Recipes
If you could have 3 new recipes what would thy be ?

Mine would be ham, lasagna and good old meatloaf

You only live once make the most of it..:)
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 9th Mar 2014 at 10:23 AM
Wait, you actually like meatloaf? I'm sorry, but that's one aspect of American cuisine that I am very happy to keep absent from my game...

You actually can make lasagna with the brick oven special object from Monte Vista. At least two kinds of lasagna, in fact.
Scholar
#3 Old 9th Mar 2014 at 1:40 PM
I wish my Sims could eat some brazillian goodies like coxinha, pavê and empadão. ♥
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 9th Mar 2014 at 2:16 PM
Meatloaf is delicious! Not sure what can be so offputting about it.....Mmmm meatloaf sandwiches... i also agree with the lasagna.

Andy: This year for Christmas, everyone's getting a handshake and an I.O.U.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 9th Mar 2014 at 2:23 PM
Meatloaf? What's the problem---it's ground beef, ground pork (sometimes, if I feel like it), oatmeal, egg, seasonings and tomato sauce on top. None of those ingredients is particularly disgusting or unusual. Not like say haggis or lutefisk or chilins. (And the Brazilian stuff looks really yummy.)
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#6 Old 9th Mar 2014 at 2:31 PM
There is nothing disgusting about haggis. *looks threatening*

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Instructor
#7 Old 9th Mar 2014 at 4:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha

Have you seen how haggis is made?

Alton Brown Makes Haggis

Plus, Americans generally don't eat organ meat, except in hot dogs and Arby's sandwiches.

I still have never had a desire to eat black pudding or similar English cuisine.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 9th Mar 2014 at 4:15 PM

Totally agree! Love Haggis and Black Pudding! Plus the reaction people have when they have just taken a bite and you tell them what is in it it priceless!
Mad Poster
#9 Old 9th Mar 2014 at 5:02 PM
If my mother-in-law ever became zombie mother-in-law and rose from the grave, the first thing I'd ask her to make is her 1. meatloaf and 2. thanksgiving stuffing.

For my sims, I want chocolate mousse pie with whip cream on top, homemade butter (with a butter churn), and a Dagwood sandwich.

♥ }i{ Monarch of the Receptacle Refugees }i{ ♥
Scholar
#10 Old 9th Mar 2014 at 5:07 PM
Mhh... maybe Risotto.
Homemade pizza, maybe in a rectangle form.
An honest to goodness fruit salad.
Spaghetti with an oil-garlic sauce and cherry tomatoes on it.
You know, just some more vegetarian options.

C-A
Alchemist
#11 Old 9th Mar 2014 at 5:58 PM
How about bacon?

Just call me Nikel
Scholar
#12 Old 9th Mar 2014 at 6:07 PM
Ooh, enchiladas or quesadillas would be fun! Lasagna would also be cool. Also, some good old-fashioned southern chicken and dumplings. Mmm

ETA: Also, popcorn.

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”
bleed-in-ink.tumblr.com
One Minute Ninja'd
#13 Old 9th Mar 2014 at 6:22 PM

Have you ever eaten Haggis?

How about a simple roast chicken. starting with that psycho one from the Store?
Instructor
#14 Old 9th Mar 2014 at 6:31 PM
I'd like gruel for my poor sims. Tried making it myself but dammit, why couldn't food making be easier like in Sims 2
Instructor
#15 Old 9th Mar 2014 at 6:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by allanmad
Totally agree! Love Haggis and Black Pudding! Plus the reaction people have when they have just taken a bite and you tell them what is in it it priceless!

You may have heard this one:

In heaven, the Germans run the economy, the French do the cooking and all the police are English.

In Hell, the French run the economy, the English do the cooking and all the police are German.
Scholar
#16 Old 9th Mar 2014 at 6:43 PM
Why does everyone hate English food? (and isn't it Italians instead of French? Nobody wants snails and frogs legs)

Not that Americans can talk, aslong as it's fried it's good!

Shepards/cottage pie, rizotto, pot noodle. haha :P

Call me Gemma or Gem :)
Played since original 'The Sims'. Spend my life working, playing and lurking around here, posting way too much not enough.
The Only Way Is Up
simblr
Mad Poster
#17 Old 9th Mar 2014 at 7:05 PM
MORE CURRY. I may be a bit of a curry fiend.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 9th Mar 2014 at 7:28 PM
the food in ts3 is really scattered like there's things you can make, things you can learn to make but you also have the deep fryer/pizza oven (from the store) and things you can buy from the food truck and bars in late night. and finally.. the seasons festival booths. i wish our sims could prepare nachos or buffalo wings at home. i would want cake and pie recipes if i could choose new ones.
Scholar
#19 Old 9th Mar 2014 at 7:59 PM Last edited by tsyokawe : 9th Mar 2014 at 8:09 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by eman72
If you could have 3 new recipes what would thy be ?

Cornbread, Beef and Kidney Pie, and Poppyseed Cake

Quote: Originally posted by Arithmancer
Wait, you actually like meatloaf? I'm sorry, but that's one aspect of American cuisine that I am very happy to keep absent from my game...

If you don't like meatloaf, there's a good chance it was prepared by a lousy cook, or at least had no clue how to make proper meatloaf. My mouth is watering right now for meatloaf with mashed potatoes, all smothered in brown gravy. I like it with steamed corn or steamed sugarpeas on the side. And the leftovers? OMG. After a night in the fridge, you can slice your meatloaf about an eighth of an inch thick, and make grilled cheese and meatloaf sandwiches with cream of tomato soup.

Quote: Originally posted by High Plains Gamer

Plus, Americans generally don't eat organ meat...

Uh uh. I am an American, and next to Salmon, my favorite meat to have with rice is chicken livers.

I also happen to LOVE beef and kidney pie. :p
Instructor
Original Poster
#20 Old 9th Mar 2014 at 8:40 PM
I love the deep fryer but I still don't know why EA didn't add french fries and also why thy didn't make fried chicken a recipe.

You only live once make the most of it..:)
Top Secret Researcher
#21 Old 9th Mar 2014 at 9:37 PM
Some national / regional favourites that I would (and do) love:
Paella (the ordinary terrestrial kind is fine, I'll get my seafood in the Cioppino)
Caldo Tlalpeño (spicy chicken soup, as much fun to say as it is to eat)
Cioppino, San Francisco-style -- oooh! and a sourdough baguette while you're at it
Bún gà nướng and other such fresh, tasty, delightful Vietnamese chow

and yes, Haggis, though I confess I've only ever tasted the North American facsimile so far;

and I agree with Bloo about the Curries, although I've been told that I show signs of distress when it's very flavorful. If I should get all red, and my hair is sticking to my forehead, don't assume that I necessarily need to stop eating it -- just give me a little space and keep the rice and water coming.

Edit: Also everything CatMuto said. She and her Sims would probably be fun to cook for & eat with.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 9th Mar 2014 at 10:11 PM
I want more cooking with pig. Chitlins, hogmaws, greens with hamhocks, and a cast iron skillet of cornbread or hot water cornbread. Pickled pig feet or pig ears. Pfft, haggis...I will give it a try.

The only part of lamb I ever ate was leg of lamb and it's good but after watching this week's episode of Hannibal, I'm put off from leg of anything. *Gag* :P

EA won't give us bacon and eggs and since making new recipes is a PITA, can't give much hope from the CC creators making it either. Loved the CC plate from Sims 2. Well, this could be conjecture.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 9th Mar 2014 at 11:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tsyokawe
If you don't like meatloaf, there's a good chance it was prepared by a lousy cook, or at least had no clue how to make proper meatloaf. My mouth is watering right now for meatloaf with mashed potatoes, all smothered in brown gravy. I like it with steamed corn or steamed sugarpeas on the side. And the leftovers? OMG. After a night in the fridge, you can slice your meatloaf about an eighth of an inch thick, and make grilled cheese and meatloaf sandwiches with cream of tomato soup.

It's quite possible that I've never had good meatloaf, as it's not something my family ever makes--both of my parents grew up with it and neither like it--nor is it something I've often had served to me at others' homes (and it seems like a mostly home-cooked dish?). I think it's the ground-up texture that puts me off... I was probably 20 before I started eating hamburgers, and in that case it was because the ones I'd been exposed to as a kid were often low-quality meat that was then overcooked, which is hard to get excited about. Now that I've discovered what they can taste like, though, I do love me a good gourmet burger. In general though, there are a lot of foods that I think of as Midwestern staples that I just do not like. As far as I'm concerned, jello is meant for when you're very ill and not ever as a dessert, potato salad is only good if its made with sharp ground mustard and no mayo at all (really don't like mayo), egg salad and tuna salad both seem like eating vomit, and I also dislike most cole slaw. It's all about texture (and avoiding overabundances of egg). It's the mashed-together, generally bland and overly-eggy textures of standard American potluck food that make me wrinkle my nose. Especially because by the time you get to them at potlucks and picnics they're often starting to separate just a bit, and ew.

I may be slightly picky about food, but I am not unadventurous. I've tried and enjoyed quail, venison, rabbit, and even buffalo (though I haven't yet gotten around to ostrich). I have also tried alligator but was not a big fan--it's really rubbery (much more than calimari, which I do like, especially with lemon) and super oily.

My least favorite food is herring, though, and I'd guess that most Americans are with me on that. In the case of herring, I know that I've tried good stuff, and it was still an act of willpower to swallow a single bite. (I was a guest at a Midsummer dinner in Sweden, and the only American present, so I was obligated to try a little bit of everything... happily, everything else was incredibly tasty. Loved the salmon, the pork chops, the potatoes, and everything else I ate, but I just cannot do pickled fish, even drowned in hot mustard.)

In terms of recipes I'd like to see added to the game? I'd love to have seared ahi, mushroom ravioli, chicken pot pies, kebabs, pad thai, and enchiladas. Plus I'd just love to have the spicy foods from Supernatural without the fire effect--I love a lot of those foods (ceviche!!) but I hate the stupid fire animations. I grew up on spicy foods and the fire-breath always makes me think of spice-phobic New Englanders and how annoying it can be to take them for any kind of interesting food.
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 9th Mar 2014 at 11:34 PM
Perhaps you could have many different flavors of ice cream?
Scholar
#25 Old 9th Mar 2014 at 11:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Arithmancer

I may be slightly picky about food, but I am not unadventurous. I've tried and enjoyed quail, venison, rabbit, and even buffalo (though I haven't yet gotten around to ostrich). I have also tried alligator but was not a big fan--it's really rubbery (much more than calimari, which I do like, especially with lemon) and super oily.

I grew up on spicy foods and the fire-breath always makes me think of spice-phobic New Englanders and how annoying it can be to take them for any kind of interesting food.

I don't think of myself as adventurous, anymore. I tried calamari, and it was just too rubbery...might have been the cook. I remember dried squid in Japan, and still absolutely love it. Buffalo, Venison, and Elk are meats I get to eat all the time, they're available practically everywhere here in Montana. I can't say I've ever had quail. I wouldn't be afraid to try it though. I don't like rubbery, mucousy and/or stringy foods, so if something is like that, I refuse to try it. So - Snails, Oysters, Okra...ew. My mother used to put okra in her soups..(shudder). I do like it sliced about 1/2 inch thick, dredged in cornmeal, and then fried...takes the mucous right out.

And I love frog legs. I remember gigging for frogs as a teenager. We fried 'em up like chicken, with a some paprika, a dash of garlic powder, and a little salt.

I would probably never eat grubs or roaches, either. My late husband was a Marine, and I witnessed him and two of his friends swallowing live roaches on a bet and a dare. OMFG. Men are idiots.
Page 1 of 2