Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
#226 Old 14th Nov 2016 at 11:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CatMuto

Also, a mod that turns off aging for specific Sim. I'd love to add a Sim into my neighborhood that is cooky, but is weird because they never seem to age, but are not an occult lifestate.

You can do that with Nraas StoryProgression. It allows you to create groups (castes) and turn aging on or off for each group separately.
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#227 Old 14th Nov 2016 at 12:13 PM
...oh god, did he really call them "castes"? o.O

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Mad Poster
#228 Old 14th Nov 2016 at 5:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha

To be perfectly honest, so many years later now, it wouldn't have been my first choice of what to call them either.
Instructor
#229 Old 15th Nov 2016 at 1:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha

I don't know that seems about right for how I think of my NPC townfolk
Top Secret Researcher
#230 Old 15th Nov 2016 at 3:04 AM
Castes had me confused at first. I'm easily confused tho. I didn't know that you could shut off ageing by castes.
Instructor
#231 Old 15th Nov 2016 at 5:30 AM
You know what'd be a really good mod? And realistic (at least to me since if I made robots I'd give them so many personality quirk trait chips you don't even know) one that unlocks Sims interactions for Plumbots, since they don't have enough personality ish trait chips in my book. You can already add human traits to plumbots, via Mastercontroller but they'll only use them autonomously rather than you being able to direct them.
Instructor
#232 Old 15th Nov 2016 at 2:43 PM
I would like a way to either have the butler or someone else walk my Sim's dog so the poor thing doesn't get taken away by the social worker for being lonely just because my sim has to go to work to pay the bills, that would be nice.

My PC specs.
Windows 7 64 bit,AMD FX 4300 quad core processor, 8 gigs DDR3 ram, 1 gig Geforce 9500 graphics card, patch 1.67.2
Every time I reinstall the game I run it clean without any CC, not even the store bought stuff so it isn't CC or mods that cause me trouble.
Theorist
#233 Old 15th Nov 2016 at 4:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
To be perfectly honest, so many years later now, it wouldn't have been my first choice of what to call them either.

Why not change it to 'group types' or something? Me and thousands of others undoubtably find it a rather weird and confusing terminology.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Scholar
#234 Old 15th Nov 2016 at 5:20 PM
Honestly, when I saw castes i was like "what..."
Thanks for clearing that up.
Test Subject
#235 Old 15th Nov 2016 at 11:31 PM
Now that I think about it... Another realistic mod I'd like to have would be for sims to put their cars in parking lots rather than in their pockets.

And maybe a negative mood efect if a sim eats one type of food too often (like 2+ times a day for a week or more), as if the food gets old. But it doesn't last forever.

The "I'll spin around, and magically my clothes will change!" thing going on in the sims 3. I wish that there was an actual closet that they could go into to change...
Site Helper
#236 Old 16th Nov 2016 at 8:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by alljoj
Honestly, when I saw castes i was like "what..."
Thanks for clearing that up.

The fact that they are called "castes" is the main reason why I have never used them. I think I'm going to have to mentally edit the word to be "groups" and see if I can learn to manage them.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Scholar
#237 Old 16th Nov 2016 at 8:53 PM
honestly I'm a bit surpised reading about "castes" as somewhat disturbing name. Is really this word currently so... I don't know - offensive/disturbing/strange in actual English? (I'm obviously part of NonEnglishEnglishUsers caste ); just curious.

Technically "groups", or better "classes" (but there is a possible misunderstanding too) but for me there could be any word as long as it particular usage is clearly documented.

And trying to stay within the main topic: asymmetric reaction/state moodlets could be interesting. Like SimA reacts "that was cool", while SimB "there was something?" and SimC "that was awful!". Connected with traits, age type, gender obviously.
And - about the traits. Ability to develop/loose traits in the Sim life. We can get the "rewarding traits" yes, but it could be fun if the Sim may become neurotic after a some misfortune set of events, hydrophobic if he was in danger of drowning, loner after serious romantic meltdown (or quite opposite) and so on.
I know... I'm just complicating...

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Site Helper
#238 Old 16th Nov 2016 at 9:01 PM
I cannot speak for anyone other than myself, but "castes" always makes me think of the description of how it works in India. I live in a culture where our ideal is that a person is a person, and each person has the same priceless value. Granted, this is an ideal, and we fall short of it with assorted prejudices and bigotry. But any system that suggests that a person -should- be discounted and untouchable because they are without any value is offensive to me.

And obviously, I haven't studied how the caste system actually works in India because I've never been there and have no plans to go there. I'm operating on hearsay evidence, but I admit that I'm doing it.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Instructor
#239 Old 16th Nov 2016 at 10:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ghost sdoj
I cannot speak for anyone other than myself, but "castes" always makes me think of the description of how it works in India. I live in a culture where our ideal is that a person is a person, and each person has the same priceless value. Granted, this is an ideal, and we fall short of it with assorted prejudices and bigotry. But any system that suggests that a person -should- be discounted and untouchable because they are without any value is offensive to me.

And obviously, I haven't studied how the caste system actually works in India because I've never been there and have no plans to go there. I'm operating on hearsay evidence, but I admit that I'm doing it.

True, but I don't operate under the illusion that my Sims game cares one iota about any Sim that isn't in my active family/a friend of the active family/a family that was at one point active. Everyone else might as well be discounted as lesser or sub. But this is okay, because they aren't real

Naturally, I take a dim view of castes in reality, but in the Sims not only is it accurate to my playstyle, I also kinda like it from a dark humour perspective. It makes the stepford suburbia of the Sims 3 (seriously so many rich people stuff packs and 2 expacs about the lifestyles of the rich and famous AND our futuristic apocalypse doesn't come with raider outfits! What even is this? ) but I digress it makes the stepford suburbia of the Sims 3 seem slightly more crapsack and as such slightly more interesting.
#240 Old 16th Nov 2016 at 11:05 PM
Ok what are castes in relation to this game? I have no idea what y'all are talking about.
Mad Poster
#241 Old 16th Nov 2016 at 11:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BlackjackGabbiani
Ok what are castes in relation to this game? I have no idea what y'all are talking about.

It is a concept from NRaas StoryProgression. A caste is merely a group of sims, defined by either a set of criteria or by manual player-directed inclusion. There is not meant to be anything offensive or derogatory about them nor are they intended to convey the notion that some sims are more valuable than others.
Instructor
#242 Old 16th Nov 2016 at 11:37 PM
nor are they intended to convey the notion that some sims are more valuable than others.

caste
kɑːst/
noun
plural noun: castes

each of the hereditary classes of Hindu society, distinguished by relative degrees of ritual purity or pollution and of social status.
"members of the lower castes"
synonyms: class, social class, order, social order, social division, grade, grading, group, grouping, station, stratum, echelon, rank, level, degree, set; More
place, standing, position, status;
varna;
archaicestate, sphere
"prohibitions prevent people from marrying outside their caste"
the system of dividing society into castes.
"caste has survived among Goa's Christians"
any class or group of people who inherit exclusive privileges or are perceived as socially distinct.
"those educated in private schools belong to a privileged caste"

Mad Poster
#243 Old 17th Nov 2016 at 12:20 AM Last edited by igazor : 17th Nov 2016 at 12:34 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by DesereiPandemoni
any class or group of people who inherit exclusive privileges or are perceived as socially distinct.

This is the definition of the word as Twallan had deployed the concept. Distinct does not necessarily mean of more or less value.

Members of the Male caste cannot get pregnant by default, nor can the Elder or Teenager castes. The Female caste can.
Members of the Teen and Elder castes may not by default autonomously romance each other.
Members of the Vampire caste do not age by default.
Members of my Rotations caste do not progress in certain ways when they are inactives.
Members of my Tax Exempt caste, typically households where no one has a standard rabbithole type career, are not subject to property taxes like everyone else when they are inactive or else they keep going broke on me when I am off playing different households.
Only members of my Sci/Medical Uni Degree caste can elevate themselves beyond Level 6 in the Medical career.
etc.

Since the SP caste concept was developed around four or five years ago now, I would say it's a bit late to be having this conversation. But for those who wish to pursue this further, the discussion should really take place at NRaas for our developer to consider. I suspect he's going to be concerned that changing the name of this construct now is only going to confuse players more rather than be helpful.
Site Helper
#244 Old 17th Nov 2016 at 12:30 AM
Twallan is not the first person to misuse a word, nor will he be the last. From many of his other posts, I can easily believe that he was simply looking for a better word than "groups." And it is kind of silly to be offended by it when it is in that context, especially as I was laughing a few years ago about people who were offended by the word "niggardly," as it has nothing but a bit of spelling in common with the word that everyone was upset over, and wondering if they also needed to be told that "oxymoron" does not mean "moronic cow." (A synonym for niggardly would be "stingy.") But it does bother me on an emotional level. It shouldn't. I know he had no intention of offending anyone, and would probably be very upset that he did. Which is why I never said anything. If no offense was intended, and I take offense anyway, the problem is mine.

Instructor
#245 Old 17th Nov 2016 at 12:32 AM
This is the definition of the word as Twallan had deployed the concept. Distinct does not necessarily mean of more or less value.

Members of the Male caste cannot get pregnant by default, nor can the Elder or Teenager castes. The Female caste can.
Members of the Teen and Elder castes may not by default autonomously romance each other.
Members of the Vampire caste do not age by default.
Members of my Rotations caste do not progress in certain ways when they are inactives.
Only members of my Sci/Medical Uni Degree caste can elevate themselves beyond Level 6 in the Medical career.
etc.

Since the SP caste concept was developed around four or five years ago now, I would say it's a bit late to be having this conversation. But for those who wish to pursue this further, the discussion should really take place at NRaas for our developer to consider. I suspect he's going to be concerned that changing the name of this construct now is only going to confuse players more rather than be helpful.

I agree with that, that it'd be confusing, plus I don't really think it needs changing to begin with. I just think it's funny, since inherently when talking about real people to divide society and give certain standards of behaviour to one group is to deny it from another which is inescapabley unequal. As I pointed out Sims aren't real and I'm not so dim as to think the mere inclusion of something means it's being endorsed espeacially when it's quite clinical and technically correct in this contezt. And all that "to even give it a platform" stuff is utter bs and again their Sims they don't deserve equality of opportunity cause they ain't real.

So I think it's totally fine, but I pointed it out cause technically, you can't exactly get around the implications inherent in the world and I found it funny that someone would make a statement otherwise. In fact the whole thing is just hilarious to me, I'm not taken aback or put off I'm just lmao over here. I doubt it'd be worth it to bother your developer when I don't want to change anything, all I want to do is laugh it up and then go back to discussing realistic mods I wish existed. Honest
Site Helper
#246 Old 17th Nov 2016 at 1:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DesereiPandemoni
I agree with that, that it'd be confusing, plus I don't really think it needs changing to begin with. I just think it's funny, since inherently when talking about real people to divide society and give certain standards of behaviour to one group is to deny it from another which is inescapabley unequal. As I pointed out Sims aren't real and I'm not so dim as to think the mere inclusion of something means it's being endorsed espeacially when it's quite clinical and technically correct in this contezt. And all that "to even give it a platform" stuff is utter bs and again their Sims they don't deserve equality of opportunity cause they ain't real.

So I think it's totally fine, but I pointed it out cause technically, you can't exactly get around the implications inherent in the world and I found it funny that someone would make a statement otherwise. In fact the whole thing is just hilarious to me, I'm not taken aback or put off I'm just lmao over here. I doubt it'd be worth it to bother your developer when I don't want to change anything, all I want to do is laugh it up and then go back to discussing realistic mods I wish existed. Honest

I agree. As I said before, I know he did not intend to offend. If I'm taking offense where none was intended, it's my problem. It needs fixing at my end, not yours.

Instructor
#247 Old 17th Nov 2016 at 1:30 AM Last edited by DesereiPandemoni : 17th Nov 2016 at 5:16 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Ghost sdoj
I agree. As I said before, I know he did not intend to offend. If I'm taking offense where none was intended, it's my problem. It needs fixing at my end, not yours.

Yeah, pretty much, but back on the topic of the thread...Plumbot parts, they are surprisingly not a thing, I kind of wish they were and someone would make some more kinda FNAF 2 and Sister Location skins for em, cause right now they look good as robots that are just sort of generic, but say I want to make a childrens restaurant? Having animal themed robots or robots with more human but still obviously synthetic faces would be pretty useful for that. Or say I have a bartender Plumbot I think he could do with a torso designed to look like a formal suite and tie combo. Plus it'd have been nice if in CAB you could choose the size of the Plumbot parts cause what stops me from using a lot of them is that they only look sensible with certain other parts and I bet if they'd implements sliders that wouldn't have been such an issue.

If it seems like alot of my wishes for mods revolve around plumbots you'd be right. Mainly because the concept (machines fitted to serve specific functions) is really appealing, but truthfully from an asethetic point of view where you can actually place them is pretty limited.
Instructor
#248 Old 3rd Dec 2016 at 4:24 AM
Has it been mentioned? Sorry, but I REALLY WANT SANTA CLAUS!
TS2 Style, where you add trigger items for him to visit.
That would be sooooo cooool!!!

MKATSONP is a Sims 3 Medieval Comedy Drama on Youtube and Tumblr
Scholar
#249 Old 6th Dec 2016 at 1:15 AM
I would like some different versions of the ITF tube elevators. Right now they look like pneumatic tube, but it would be cool to have some different versions that don't glow and were solid instead of translucent. Perhaps one that looks like steam pipes and one that looks like a tree trunk.

Wren-der Simblr // Sim Art // Pictures // Downloads // Random Nonsensical Rambling
Forum Resident
#250 Old 6th Dec 2016 at 2:01 AM
With the holidays upon us and holiday travel, I've been playing a lot of Sims 4 on my laptop to pass the time and I really like the Spa pack. It would have been nice for Sims to take a yoga class or even just tutor other Sims on yoga (that we could pretend was a class)
Page 10 of 13