Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
#276 Old 8th Nov 2019 at 12:50 AM
ONLY AFFECTED LIVE MODE AND BUILD/BUY??? O N L Y?

Live and build buy are two modes that simmers spend the most time on and if it speeds those up I think people could tolerate world and CAST (idk even why it got so buggy over years, it's not like EA added many new patterns or materials to it) loading times. I myself would love to test this out but I don't own and SSD so ((
Advertisement
Test Subject
#277 Old 8th Nov 2019 at 9:10 AM Last edited by AmuHav : 8th Nov 2019 at 9:52 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by parrot999
Do you remove the "-converted" when returning them?

Was gonna ask the same thing, though I would assume so considering they're supposed to overwrite the originals. Another, probably dumber question, as I'm doing this with an Origin install; do I do this process with every FullBuild and DeltaBuild I find within The Sims 3/GameData/Shared? Or only specific ones?

Edit: Some of the bigger files produced more than one converted file. So... does it matter what they're named? Cos obvs they can't all be called FullBuild2, for example.
Test Subject
#278 Old 8th Nov 2019 at 12:59 PM
So what would happen if one decided to try to run the tool on an HDD? Would it break the computer, break the game, or just simply not work at all? Just curious what options people who don't have SSD would be other than forking over money to buy one..
Alchemist
#279 Old 8th Nov 2019 at 2:50 PM Last edited by ZenGarden : 8th Nov 2019 at 3:00 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by simmythesim
For every other platform/version, you'll have to copy each FullBuild and DeltaBuild to the Converted folder, then after they're decomperessed, copy them back in to their original file locations.

What Converted folder? Do I make my own folder, put all FullBuilds and DeltaBuilds in there, run them through with ConvertedCopier, then put them back? I'm so confused.

Can I not just handpick the FullBuilds and the DeltaBuilds and run them with TurboTravelConverter, then put them back?

what does his name even mean?
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#280 Old 8th Nov 2019 at 3:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ZenGarden
What Converted folder? Do I make my own folder, put all FullBuilds and DeltaBuilds in there, run them through with ConvertedCopier, then put them back? I'm so confused.

Can I not just handpick the FullBuilds and the DeltaBuilds and run them with TurboTravelConverter, then put them back?

Yeah, the second way is what I meant. You'll have to put them in a single folder, though.

Put all the -converted.package files where the original files belonged, and remove the original files. The multiple parts doesn't matter to TS3 because the way it looks for packages means that as long as the first part of the filename matches, it will accept it. Even when there are multiple files that match one original file.
Scholar
#281 Old 8th Nov 2019 at 3:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AmuHav
Was gonna ask the same thing, though I would assume so considering they're supposed to overwrite the originals. Another, probably dumber question, as I'm doing this with an Origin install; do I do this process with every FullBuild and DeltaBuild I find within The Sims 3/GameData/Shared? Or only specific ones?

Edit: Some of the bigger files produced more than one converted file. So... does it matter what they're named? Cos obvs they can't all be called FullBuild2, for example.

I left them as they are, since they're decompressed, they're bigger files so they will be renamed with '...0-converted, ...1-converted' etc at the end I guess. And the game reads them as if they were the original files.

Edit: Simmythesim just confirmed what I was trying to say
Alchemist
#282 Old 8th Nov 2019 at 4:09 PM
Yeah, the second way is what I meant. You'll have to put them in a single folder, though.

Put all the -converted.package files where the original files belonged, and remove the original files. The multiple parts doesn't matter to TS3 because the way it looks for packages means that as long as the first part of the filename matches, it will accept it. Even when there are multiple files that match one original file.

I got two files for every Build I put in (one ending with -0 and one with -1). I put them all back to where they were in the first place after having run them with TurboTravelConverter and deleted the originals. I launch up my game. A nightmare! Rabbit holes are brown and trees are just dark squares. Crashes when I choose household. Not blaming this on you, probably me who did something wrong but got no idea what.

Mad Poster
#283 Old 8th Nov 2019 at 5:18 PM Last edited by AGuyCalledPi : 8th Nov 2019 at 5:29 PM.
I had to RTFM pretty thoroughly too because it's easy to make assumptions about the process, I found, but quickly messed it up. Also I was pretty salty about the length of the process, especially when there was no immediate improvement in my game. I do hope for you that you didn't delete-delete the originals because that means you owe yourself a full reinstall of your game.

....but then I played for a few hours and I'm pretty sure I had a big smile on my face after a while.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Alchemist
#284 Old 8th Nov 2019 at 5:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AGuyCalledPi
I had to RTFM pretty thoroughly too because it's easy to make assumptions about the process, I found, but quickly messed it up. Also I was pretty salty about the length of the process, especially when there was no immediate improvement in my game. I do hope for you that you didn't delete-delete the originals because that means you owe yourself a full reinstall of your game.

I went dumpster diving, found them, put them back x

Forum Resident
#285 Old 8th Nov 2019 at 7:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kreativeplumbob
So what would happen if one decided to try to run the tool on an HDD? Would it break the computer, break the game, or just simply not work at all? Just curious what options people who don't have SSD would be other than forking over money to buy one..

It'd create more lag, as the issue is it's faster for the game to just load the data off ssd than decompressing it and recompressing it on the fly. With an HDD this isn't the case, as HDD's are limited by the speed of reading the disk rather than the speed of electrons.
Mad Poster
#286 Old 8th Nov 2019 at 8:08 PM
This would also make the RAMdisk idea all the more interesting. The Packages folder as I have it (11 EPs + 7 SPs) totals 36,6 gigabytes which could comfortably be loaded into a system with 64 gigs of RAM. Should I choose to equip my future setup with 64 gigs (which is fairly likely anyway) I may have to try this.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Scholar
#287 Old 8th Nov 2019 at 8:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by parrot999
It'd create more lag, as the issue is it's faster for the game to just load the data off ssd than decompressing it and recompressing it on the fly. With an HDD this isn't the case, as HDD's are limited by the speed of reading the disk rather than the speed of electrons.

Well then this tool is useless...And I was hoping finally improve gameplay lol naive....
Test Subject
#288 Old 8th Nov 2019 at 10:38 PM Last edited by Clara_P : 9th Nov 2019 at 1:47 PM.
Does anyone else have an issue with the Gobo Lights from Late Night after converting the files? The strobe of light is stuck in the floor and the light effect (stars, music notes, etc.) doesn't move at all despite what I set the motion to. I tried putting back in my original FullBuild_p06.package and then it worked fine, but the two -converted ones cause the problem. I also re-converted them with no luck.

Edit: I extracted the resource files for every Gobo light from my original FullBuild_p06.package and imported them via S3PE into the -converted packages. Everything seems to work fine now. I'm not sure what was causing the issue but I'm keeping an eye out for other little hiccups.
Mad Poster
#289 Old 8th Nov 2019 at 10:41 PM
For me improved gameplay is the #1 reason to use this, it eats lag for breakfast.

insert signature here
Forum Resident
#290 Old 8th Nov 2019 at 11:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nemiga
Well then this tool is useless...And I was hoping finally improve gameplay lol naive....

You can buy a 250 Gig SSD for less than $60. Sometimes less than $50. A bundle of SATA cables for less than $5... If you can afford to buy games, you can afford this particular upgrade, which btw will improve performance even before you do this.
Mad Poster
#291 Old 9th Nov 2019 at 1:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AGuyCalledPi
For me improved gameplay is the #1 reason to use this, it eats lag for breakfast.

Definitely interested as TS3 is one of those games where the actual gameplay is altered by slower computers (empty community lots as a result).

Does it affect loading times?
Forum Resident
#292 Old 9th Nov 2019 at 2:41 AM
okay... the launcher won't recgnize my packs now... dunno if rerouting through the game exe will fix this?...

Edit: Okayy... Apparently the current update doesn't allow that.... How can I get the game to recognize my EPs again?
Mad Poster
#293 Old 9th Nov 2019 at 2:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
Does it affect loading times?

They're certainly not going to take any longer to load. But I wouldn't say there's much of a difference either way. Marginally quicker maybe. Could be a placebo thing.

insert signature here
Forum Resident
#294 Old 9th Nov 2019 at 3:04 AM
okay... decompressing the files makes the game launcher not recognize the EPs... ugh....
Alchemist
#295 Old 9th Nov 2019 at 10:50 AM
@simmythesim you state that it works without Steam, but it's a different process. Do you know this by experience?

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#296 Old 9th Nov 2019 at 11:25 AM
Yeah! I've tested it way too much, lol. I tested it with both Origin and Steam. Origin installs need to rename the first converted file for each package, as straight up deleting the original files will cause Origin to read the game as corrupted.

Something like FullBuild0-0-converted.package needs to be renamed to the original filename, in this case, FullBuild0.package. The other packages for each original package, like FullBuild0-1.converted.package, don't need to be renamed. At least, that's what I remember from months back.

You can see why I gave up on this idea. There's too many hoops to get through just to get it to even start.

EDIT: There may be some bugs in the decompression algorithm used by the program. I didn't notice anything different, but The Sims 3 has a lot of resources used by the game.
Test Subject
#297 Old 9th Nov 2019 at 2:02 PM
I tried these tools yesterday, with full Origin Digital install and I did manage to get work with the programs without me needing to manually rename anything. I noticed clear improvements in buy and build mode especially, although I did notice one bug (or that I think is a bug) that might be because of this. When other sims celebrate some sim's birthday who is blowing the birthday cake, they are celebrating with party items (I don't know what they are called in English, sorry) but those don't make any noise anymore. Although it might be my mistake and those have been always silent in Sims 3 and only made noise in Sims 2, it's been some time since I have used a birthday cake for my sims.
Alchemist
#298 Old 9th Nov 2019 at 7:55 PM
You can see why I gave up on this idea. There's too many hoops to get through just to get it to even start.

Not to be rude, but no. I think you're close to something really brilliant here, and I would like to boost up your confidence to give all of this the last, final push it needs for brilliance. You already got the programs, now all that is missing is a tutorial for users who doesn't use Steam and if x doesn't work it's because y was done incorrectly

Mad Poster
#299 Old 10th Nov 2019 at 6:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Octomb
I tried these tools yesterday, with full Origin Digital install and I did manage to get work with the programs without me needing to manually rename anything. I noticed clear improvements in buy and build mode especially, although I did notice one bug (or that I think is a bug) that might be because of this. When other sims celebrate some sim's birthday who is blowing the birthday cake, they are celebrating with party items (I don't know what they are called in English, sorry) but those don't make any noise anymore. Although it might be my mistake and those have been always silent in Sims 3 and only made noise in Sims 2, it's been some time since I have used a birthday cake for my sims.

Noisemakers and blow horns still make noise even in TS3. May be a bug, if you have already checked and are sure one of the sound settings are not turned off.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Test Subject
#300 Old 17th Nov 2019 at 1:08 PM
Tried 2 use this on my Cd- version and it wouldn't work for me. Looks cool though. Hopefully you continue this.
Page 12 of 14