Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
#126 Old 30th Jun 2019 at 6:38 PM
Not trying to rush you, but I'm wondering how your mod is coming along. Can we get an update?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#127 Old 30th Jun 2019 at 7:30 PM
I've kind of turned that into a guessing game, when it'll be out. I'm trying to time it with my episode, which has been delayed until I'm actually happy with it. Fuck these "predetermined goals" and "deadlines", it has to be the best it can be. I'm sure you modding guys agree because between this, the Third Person Mod and gameplay overhauls like that new Job Overhaul mod, TS3 is probably having its best year since EA moved on to TS4.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#128 Old 1st Jul 2019 at 4:33 PM Last edited by simmythesim : 1st Jul 2019 at 5:30 PM.
I seriously was going to release an early version a few days ago, but after typing the instructions on how to do it, I decided that that version was way too slow. Like seriously, I was typing them up, and I realized, "Wow! This installation process sucks.".

So I'm going to fix that first.

Anyway, the code needs further optimizations to not make computers cry when asked to process Sims 3 files. Sims 4 files convert really fast as it's using a fast built-in library, but the Sims 3 conversion code takes AGES. Like you would not believe it.

I got all of The Sims 3 EPs on sale during the Steam Summer Sale, and the conversion time with all 11 EPS + BG turned out to be around 2-ish hours. Which is frankly unacceptable. I'm hoping I can rewrite the sims 3 conversion code.

The code, although multithreaded, still has functions that run 3 million(!) times for a regular 150 megs file.

So yeah, although I could release it right now, It needs to be less tedious and slow. A LOT less tedious and slow.

EDIT:

I managed to speed up conversion time for the previously mentioned 150 megs file from 95 seconds to 20 seconds! Turns out that it wasn't the code that was the problem, the default python interpreter really is just that slow. Switching to a different python interpreter yielded 5x speedups!
Mad Poster
#129 Old 1st Jul 2019 at 6:04 PM
I've got a free afternoon come Wednesday, hit me up with that tool if you want. I'll do a whole video on it and hold off judgement till it's actually done
But yeah I totally get the ease of use thing. I spent quite a bit of time putting that shader preset of mine together, because I was writing out my installation guide and realized having to go through some dumb external tool kinda sucks. So I spent a few hours learning about Reshade works, and then changed all the code so that everything points inwards. The end result: no install process whatsoever. You drop a DLL and a folder in your Game/Bin/ folder and everything magically figures itself out when you launch the game. Had to give myself a good pat on the back for that one.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Test Subject
#130 Old 1st Jul 2019 at 11:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AGuyCalledPi
I've got a free afternoon come Wednesday, hit me up with that tool if you want.

I'm free this whole month soooo We all want it even if it takes a day to make it work. But it's the best to wait for a fully functional, optimized release, makes things easier for OP.
Mad Poster
#131 Old 2nd Jul 2019 at 12:27 AM
Hey, where's the fun in waiting like every other sucker

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#132 Old 2nd Jul 2019 at 3:01 AM
This is the most excited I've been for something TS3 related in SO long.

The Receptacle still lives!
Mad Poster
#133 Old 2nd Jul 2019 at 3:23 AM
Yeah, I'm already planning around it. Might be able to shoot everything in realtime now, with the same amount of Sims on screen, in 4k. While something off Guns 'n' Roses' Appetite for Destruction album is playing because I'm allowed to use that in my next episode. Shit, I know exactly what I'm going to do for that scene.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#134 Old 2nd Jul 2019 at 4:05 AM
Welcome to Bridgeport we've got '80s fun and sims.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Mad Poster
#135 Old 2nd Jul 2019 at 4:23 PM Last edited by AGuyCalledPi : 2nd Jul 2019 at 4:45 PM.
If you've got the money, honey, we've got your disease. Only I still need to find out how far I can take that bit before it starts being terribly out of place. I'm on the fence about how much of a shithole I want Bridgeport to be but there's places like Boroughsburg now, they're a little bit nasty and they totally get away with it. You know how in TS1, after having coffee Sims would jump up and down and whoop? I'm thinking I can do just about anything, provided it's stylized enough. Except genuinely nasty shit but then again, I've seen Miami Vice get away with some stuff and that was PG-13 all the way through.

I think it'd be pretty cool, if TS3 could be a little grittier without it clashing with the cartoony animations. Will have to abduct some Sims to do mad science on. And then a few to act as a mad control group. And then I'll publish my mad findings. Stuff like that still takes an age though with how slow the game is without this mod. It's just such a pain in the ass to keep starting and stopping the game.

EDIT: probably not allowed to show boobs in certain contexts, because Americans. So I guess I'll just have to break out into song the next time a Sim randomly takes her shirt off because the little fuckers just can't seem to help it sometimes. No kidding, it's happened a bunch of times already and I've usually had to crop the shot or whatever because I still needed the footage.

insert signature here
Test Subject
#136 Old 2nd Jul 2019 at 10:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AGuyCalledPi
Hey, where's the fun in waiting like every other sucker

Heh, I like you.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#137 Old 4th Jul 2019 at 3:09 PM
First time creating a user interface, so people who have never heard of words like "command line" and "terminal" also get to enjoy the goodness of this tool.

Looks great, eh?

Core functionality is done at this point, although to be honest, I'm not 100% pleased with the speed of the program. If given the opportunity, I would definitely rewrite this in a faster language.

I'm currently working on some neat helper tools so you can easily copy the converted files back to the game directory.

Also, here's the previously mentioned horribly long and convoluted instructions that convinced me to create the helper program. (Don't worry, you won't be doing this!)

Mad Poster
#138 Old 4th Jul 2019 at 3:26 PM
Those instructions actually aren't too bad. I understood most of it, at least xD

The Receptacle still lives!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#139 Old 4th Jul 2019 at 3:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lil bag2
Those instructions actually aren't too bad. I understood most of it, at least xD

Yeah, but those are just the first few steps. The steps after these involve going into each folder manually and replacing the original files with the converted files, which is very tedious.
Field Researcher
#140 Old 4th Jul 2019 at 4:46 PM
I'm so hyped for this I already reinstalled TS3 Good luck with the project.
Forum Resident
#141 Old 4th Jul 2019 at 5:00 PM
Would this also reduce the likelihood of Error Code 12?
Scholar
#142 Old 4th Jul 2019 at 7:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jathom95
@PapaEmy OK, if you're dealing with the legal semantics of a situation like game installation files, technically you don't "own" any part of it. Even discs are just a license to install and use the product, which refers to the game itself. That much is obvious. But many people get up in arms about "game rights". If people actually read TOS agreements, it makes it clear skimming over all of the legal jargon that you don't "own" it, you have a license which allows you to use it.

Now, with that said, anytime you run into trouble with this is usually because of one of two things.
1) Porting assets from one game to another, such as Bethesda games. EA seems not to care if people do this or doesn't care enough to take action. T2to3to4 conversions happen all the time.
2) Reverse-engineering the game's code, which would involve modifying the game executable itself. You might get warned about modifying game installation files "voiding your warranty" so to speak, but unless you are actually taking the game exe itself apart, it's really not a big deal.

So honestly, since it's obvious that EA has washed its hands of TS3 anyway, and doesn't seem to care about fixing their own games to work properly, a tool handling the Full/Deltabuilds hardly sounds like the worst thing in the world.

Unfortunately, this is what corporations and lawmakers have put us on course for, since the start of digital authentication for games.

But from a consumer point of view it shouldn't be the case, because it used to be different. And I am positive that it is still not the case in all countries for all games (games that rely on servers to run content are a different case). I expect that this will become an issue the moment a still popular game stops working because a big publisher stops the authentication server for it because they think its not cost effective anymore (for example they want to push sales of the next installment in that franchise more aggressively).

This is really important, because the moment that whatever you buy is not your actual property anymore, you have no say about how long you will be able to use that product and will be at the mercy of some company's financial strategy. And it doesnt even make sense that this can be the case for digital offline products, because in the case of materialistic products , courts already ruled against these kind of scenarios (like in EU where consumers are protected by law for warranty and fair expected use of products and against the skimpy warranty the companies aimed for).The digital products should be an extension of this. It should be yours as long as you want to.

Also TOS is not above local law. Companies are not law makers. And a lot of content in digital TOS is not being tested in court yet.

A game that you buy and for 100% install on your computer is not a 'service'. Not even if it require online authentication to prove that you actually own the game. And also not because Simon (CEO) says so. I am confident that this will become a big legal issue at some point for some product. Offline games should be tradable and 2nd hand sellable.

The way companies try to artificially limit the life of products (both material and digital) to maximize profit is very wasteful and anti consumer. It should be obvious that this should be fought.

EDIT : And to be on topic , I can't wait until these tools are released, simmythesim
Theorist
#143 Old 4th Jul 2019 at 11:11 PM
The only problem I have with those instructions is, people might get confused as to what should be in the search bar.
Is it:
Delta
Delta\
Delta\*
or Delta\*.package
The answer is, I think, Deltabuild but some people will type the whole thing, including the *, which will yield no search results.
If you type in Delta rather than Deltabuild your search results will show files and folders. Only one (the files) is supposed to be copied, right?

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Mad Poster
#144 Old 4th Jul 2019 at 11:18 PM Last edited by AGuyCalledPi : 4th Jul 2019 at 11:35 PM.
Except it will, because Windows reads an asterisk as a placeholder for another string of text. ".package" will search for any file with the .package extension. "Delta\*.package" won't return any search results though, because there's no folder named Delta. There is a folder called DeltaPackages, however, but the .package files are all in subfolders of that folder. In fact, I can't get any syntax at all that searches for files matching the .package extension within a folder named "DeltaPackages" because it reads the entire query as one. It will search for files with the .package extension AND a name matching DeltaPackages, rather than files with the .package extension inside the folder named DeltaPackages. Even in the correct order, it'll come up blank.

Of course, searching ".package" within the The Sims 3\GameData\Shared\DeltaPackages folder solves this issue. But that seems kind of inefficient.

insert signature here
Theorist
#145 Old 4th Jul 2019 at 11:30 PM
Hmm ok. I'll leave it up to simmythesim to do it how they want. The current instructions says Delta\*.package which I think should be modified. But I dunno, however.

#BlairWitchPetition
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Mad Poster
#146 Old 4th Jul 2019 at 11:38 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if this varies per version of Windows and even per system language but on my end, "DeltaBuild_*.package" is what makes it find the right files and nothing else.

insert signature here
Test Subject
#147 Old 7th Jul 2019 at 8:26 PM
I've never been so hyped for a game mod ever. Checking this thread in nearly every half hour.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#148 Old 7th Jul 2019 at 10:57 PM
To be honest, I've been nervous in releasing the mod because of the immense hype that's been built. I should probably change the thread title to be something more like, "This mod speeds up reading package files. Might speed up performance, might not at all."

I've bought a new computer, and for the last few days, it was forcibly shutting down when I initiated the package conversion process. That isn't helpful when you're about to release the mod lol.

Anyway, core functionality is done, but the UI for the helper programs isn't done yet. That's a formal way of "this program might spontaneously combust if you look at it wrong", haha.

Jeez. Can you tell how nervous I am in releasing this tool? I feel like this is going to be a disappointment, after all speeding up wasn't the reason I even started this project. It was just a quick little program to test if I could process DBPF package files.
Theorist
#149 Old 7th Jul 2019 at 11:29 PM
Don't worry. If it speeds up reading package files then it will be worthwhile

#BlairWitchPetition
Test Subject
#150 Old 7th Jul 2019 at 11:31 PM
Please don't be nervous, you are not doing a homework. We are just excited because your tool gave us hope. Don't mind our hype, we are all just crazy simmers after all. I say "we" because I'm pretty sure everyone else here feels the same. The game's engine is just simply a mess, your method is all that's left for us. If it helps reducing the lag then yay we are happy, if it doesn't then you still have our gratitude and thanks - you did everything you could. If it's impossible to fix such a broken game then we have to deal with it.
Page 6 of 14