Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

*Recolourable* Wooden modular stairs (UPD 23feb07)

by Numenor Posted 25th Mar 2005 at 5:12 PM - Updated 24th Feb 2007 at 2:24 AM by Numenor : Bugfix(Empty icon in base-games)

105 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 93 Feedback Posts, 11 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 3 of 5
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#51 Old 20th Sep 2006 at 1:42 AM
In the first post, I said:
"Just like the Holy Smoke, these stairs override the originals (*not* overwrite!): as long as my package is in the download folder, the original Wooden Stairs are replaced by this recolourable version."

In other words, you will NOT see new stairs in the catalog; when you select the Wooden modular stair, it will look exactly like the Maxis one, but actually it's my recolourable stair

If you are going to apply a recolour on these stairs, be sure to read the special instuctions (with pictures).

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Lab Assistant
#52 Old 29th Sep 2006 at 4:11 AM
Ok, thanks!!! I understood it and I did it! I put the stair and then just recolor... sorry for my slowness!!!

Libertad no conozco sino la libertad de estar presa
en alguien
cuyo nombre no puedo oir sin escalofrío...

Viggo forever!!!!!
Lab Assistant
#53 Old 9th Oct 2006 at 1:35 AM
Numenor: Are you going to be doing an update of this tutorial for SimPE versoin 58b?

Thank you JM
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#54 Old 9th Oct 2006 at 10:04 AM
This is not a tutorial... If you want to create recolours for this stairs, follow THIS TUTORIAL, with the only difference that, once opened the Object Workshop, you have to click "Open..." (instead of "Start") and then browse the downloads folder and load the "Numenor_DeckStairs_main.package". Proceed with the recolour as usual.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Lab Assistant
#55 Old 16th Oct 2006 at 6:02 AM
Default Thank you Numenor
For the imformation about recoloring the modular stairs. And the instruction on how to do this.

Thank you very much
JM
Lab Assistant
#56 Old 19th Oct 2006 at 7:24 PM Last edited by JM23 : 19th Oct 2006 at 7:27 PM. Reason: miss spelled word
Default Numenor what happened with house was packages
Hi Numenor:

I recolored your stairs, built my house and packaged it with white stairs that I had recolored. * had your mesh in my packed house when packaged* or at least in the download folder.

I saved my game, went back bulldozed the house that I orginally made.
Then went out of the game put the house back in the game and the white stair were not there at all. ??" the stairs turned brown again. Did I miss something in my reading or does this happen?

As If I had uploaded the house to my group or site, the white stairs that I had made would not have been with the house.

Just a little comfused here with this happening.

Big thanks JM
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#57 Old 19th Oct 2006 at 7:57 PM
These recolourable stairs are not created to be shared; I've never tried such experiment, and therefore the news you bring are the first I hear about this subject.
I'm not surprised, though: my recolourable stairs are actually the Maxis stairs, and the game doesn't consider them as "custom content"; as a consequence, the package containing the recolourable stairs is not included in the Sims2Pack archive.
Moreover, the Maxis stairs are not recolourable, and therefore the game doesn't even think to include the white recolour in the Sims2Pack.

I'm afraid that there isn't a way to share a lot containing a recoloured stair; the users that download your lot must get separately the white recolour (you can provide a separate zip for that), and get also my stairs (my policy forbids reposting my stuff in separate zip, so they must get the stairs from this thread).
And then, the users must apply manually the recolour on the stairs.

Not a very efficient way to share a lot -

Lab Assistant
#58 Old 21st Oct 2006 at 12:21 AM
Default Numenor I wasn't going to give them out
I was only testing to see if they would stay the white color. I am sorry if I have upset you on this. Or led you to beleive anything different. I would never give out anyones work with out their permission. It was just trying to get my message across the best way that I knew how.

If I recolor my own stairs will this work better ? Or will it still be the same ?

JM
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#59 Old 21st Oct 2006 at 2:19 AM Last edited by Numenor : 21st Oct 2006 at 2:24 AM.
I was not upset at all, sorry for the misunderstanding; I understood you were considering to upload them, and in case, how to do that; and I've just told that it's quite hard, because users normally want lots that work fine by themselves, without downloading, installing and recolourling things...

I've never tried, but I think that the same problems will occur with a custom stair: the game just don't understand that the modular stairs are recolourable, and therefore doesn't include the recolour in the exported lot; but the stairs, at least, should be included
In any case, I'm afraid that the users would have to apply the recolour manually.

The only solution is a custom stair that uses, as default colour the white one: this way, the stairs should work fine in your exported lot without additional work by the downloaders.

Lab Assistant
#60 Old 23rd Oct 2006 at 4:13 AM
Thank you for all of your imformation Numenor and your help.

JM
Field Researcher
#61 Old 6th Nov 2006 at 5:41 PM
Thank you so much. I will use it a lot!!

New Judfer creations at Sims2 Noir.
Live Free or Die.
Test Subject
#62 Old 3rd Dec 2006 at 12:20 AM
Thanks

If wishes were Unicorns...I'd have one.
Instructor
#63 Old 5th Feb 2007 at 3:36 AM
As Always, my deep gratitude for all you create and give to enhance our Sim life.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#64 Old 24th Feb 2007 at 2:27 AM
Default Thread Update
23 FEB 2007 - BUGFIX

These stairs have been online for almost two years, and so far they worked well. But they had a little bug nevertheless In some games (especially the base-game, without any EP) the catalog icon for the modular stairs was empty. This is because these stairs were made in a very old format (the old "EP Ready format, created when UNI first came out).
Updating them to the current correct format would have meant breaking all the existing recolours (there are so many around the net, not only here at MTS2); and so I've fixed it in a way that... you shouldn't try at home (like they say in TV ).
The important thing is that now the icon is visible in catalog and all the existing recolours still work! :D

LOL! This must be the oldest creation of mine that I update! -

You can download the updated rar from the front page, or just clicking the link below:
Numenor_DeckStairs_main.rar

-------------------------------------------------------------
FAQ: Why there is no text file to install with these stairs, like all the other custom modular stairs?
That's because these stairs are intended to override the Maxis originals, and therefore uses the same Maxis text file already installed with the game.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Forum Resident
#65 Old 2nd Mar 2007 at 8:35 PM
Brilliant work & thanks for the recent update too!...

To all, of the very talented MTS-2 creative types - my sincere thanks for taking the time to create/upload/share...
Lab Assistant
#66 Old 16th Mar 2007 at 9:24 PM
Will you be fixing your recolourable Holy Smoke stairs as well? I have the blank icon issue with them as well.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#67 Old 17th Mar 2007 at 9:51 AM
Really? Let me check...

The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#68 Old 18th Mar 2007 at 11:03 PM
Kralore (and anyone interested) - OK, the glass stairs have been updated, too
Get them HERE

Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#69 Old 19th Mar 2007 at 2:11 AM
Lab Assistant
#70 Old 19th Mar 2007 at 8:43 PM
Many thanks for the update on the holy smoke stairs as well
Lab Assistant
#71 Old 22nd Apr 2007 at 5:29 AM
I've installed the updated file for these stairs and also holy smoke ones. The icons are still not showing and, if I'm not doing anything tooooo wrong, they are not working. I've got all EPs up to Seasons.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#72 Old 22nd Apr 2007 at 9:29 AM
Did you have the older version, before installing the updated one? And did it work (apart from the icon)?

Test Subject
#73 Old 7th May 2007 at 5:04 PM
Numenor,

I have some recolours of these wooden stairs, which to use, I had to modify the 'modularStairs.txt' file in the game. I've removed them, and want to use them again. Will I have to modify the stair's text file again in order to use those recolours, or can I just pop the pkgs into my downloads folder with this updated version of the recolourable wooden stairs?

Thanks for these awesome stairs, and all of your amazing discoveries, btw.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#74 Old 10th May 2007 at 4:37 PM
My recolourable stairs, unlike any other existing modular stairs, do NOT require any modification or the modularstairs.txt, because they are a replacement of the Maxis originals. Just put in the Downloads my stairs and the recolours, and they will work fine.

Lab Assistant
#75 Old 7th Jun 2007 at 10:34 AM
Thank you.
Page 3 of 5