Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Aug 2019 at 11:18 AM Last edited by WatermelonSandal : 23rd Aug 2019 at 9:53 PM.
Default Building a split-level house [TS2]
Hi, I've been experimenting with split-levelling for a while now and have successfully pulled it off a few times with staircases my Shields Road series. (notably 23, 27, 43a, 45, and 52). However, those have only been with staircases. What I'm trying to create is a split-level house, where half is on the ground with the other half up on a foundation. The images show what I've got so far.

The main problem is that every time I try a split-level house, I end up with a box, or some kind of shape that's impossible to work with or put a decent roof on. This is what I plan to be #59 in the series, but it might need some work. I tried to break the image of a "box" by adding the side porch. Any suggestions on how I can make this more interesting or make it work around the staircase better? Thanks.
Screenshots
Advertisement
dodgy builder
#2 Old 14th Aug 2019 at 3:14 PM
In complicated houses I always make the complicated bits first, and add on rooms later. That makes it possible to think about layout when my mind is free to think about it.
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 14th Aug 2019 at 4:37 PM
That might be good - I just need to decide where that goes in the house.
It's also important that the house I build works well. The house in the screenshot only has one bedroom, which isn't that great for a family house. With the basement it has to be one tile in so that the foundation works.
dodgy builder
#4 Old 14th Aug 2019 at 6:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by WatermelonSandal
That might be good - I just need to decide where that goes in the house.
It's also important that the house I build works well. The house in the screenshot only has one bedroom, which isn't that great for a family house. With the basement it has to be one tile in so that the foundation works.

Yes, it pays to have made a flexible plan on beforehand. It's very easy though that the plan stays too rigid, and you can't bring yourself to do changes to it.
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 14th Aug 2019 at 7:29 PM
I tend to draw a lot of my lots on graph paper before building them, so I know what I'm building, but even then some things change. The house I showed you wasn't really planned - I just had the idea of split-levelling and went from there.
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 16th Aug 2019 at 5:16 AM
I have been enjoying your TS2 Shields Road series!

If I understand your question correctly, you want to find ways to "unbox" your house. Excuse my using my own lots to illustrate my points.
A porch, as you've shown, is a good way to change the shape and add interest. You can add an porch by bumping out (your example) or in (my first example).
That house also has a side addition that forms an L- shape from above. My second example shows an addition to the front (another L- shape).
Third example is a simple "echo" gable.
Dormers are good ways to add interest (shown in first example).

I also sketch out my lots on graph paper. Then I move my sketch to the game by using different color floor tiles to map out the rooms.
Screenshots

Need help building? Mentoring4Builders: Click Here
Get in the swim- Mermaidia
New at Simszoo
Scholar
Original Poster
#7 Old 16th Aug 2019 at 6:34 AM Last edited by WatermelonSandal : 16th Aug 2019 at 7:34 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by attuned
I have been enjoying your TS2 Shields Road series!

If I understand your question correctly, you want to find ways to "unbox" your house. Excuse my using my own lots to illustrate my points.
A porch, as you've shown, is a good way to change the shape and add interest. You can add an porch by bumping out (your example) or in (my first example).
That house also has a side addition that forms an L- shape from above. My second example shows an addition to the front (another L- shape).
Third example is a simple "echo" gable.
Dormers are good ways to add interest (shown in first example).

I also sketch out my lots on graph paper. Then I move my sketch to the game by using different color floor tiles to map out the rooms.

Thanks for the examples I'll experiment with the shape of the house.

Update: Here's the result. The lot comes in at 19,915 since it's meant to be another starter.
Screenshots
Theorist
#8 Old 17th Aug 2019 at 10:13 AM
First look i thought this house is duplex where one entrance has a porch. Now I see it is a balcony. I'd prefer to make different doors for entrance and balcony. But this all up to you. Great side-split.

Here you can see more of my creations and conversions for sims 3. ;) I`ll glad to see your comments in.
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 17th Aug 2019 at 3:11 PM
I really like the new version. You have added lots of charm!

New at Simszoo
Scholar
Original Poster
#10 Old 19th Aug 2019 at 5:45 PM Last edited by WatermelonSandal : 23rd Aug 2019 at 7:42 PM.
Thanks for the feedback. In that case the lot is ready for upload, but I have a few lots that come before numerically.

Update: You can find the lot here .
dodgy builder
#11 Old 13th Jun 2020 at 11:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by yavannatw
Sorry to resurrect this thread but I have a problem with split level. I'm trying to attach a ground level section of a house to a section with foundation. I've only ever done this with attached garages (and most tutorials are about this). I can get it level, etc, but can't place normal doors. Is there a way I can place doors going out from the ground level without it being "blocked in"? Unfortunately the link to the tutorial on split levels on this site no longer works.

Hey

You should make a thread of your own. This is a social group, so the thread will be for you. If you're not a memeber you should be one first Also pictures would be nice. You can just attach them to your post and upload them that way, instead of some external thing.

We also need to know what game you're in.

When that's been said. The way to put in doors is to make sure the ground level is the highest and the extra bit is on the top.
Top Secret Researcher
#12 Old 13th Jun 2020 at 10:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
Hey

You should make a thread of your own. This is a social group, so the thread will be for you. If you're not a memeber you should be one first Also pictures would be nice. You can just attach them to your post and upload them that way, instead of some external thing.

We also need to know what game you're in.

When that's been said. The way to put in doors is to make sure the ground level is the highest and the extra bit is on the top.

Ok. I wasn't sure whether to make a new thread when this one was same topic and for Sims 2. I am a member, just haven't been around much.
Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 29th Jun 2020 at 3:29 AM
Hi @yavannatw - good to see you! I try to keep this group pretty casual so feel free to add a question or comment to an already existing thread, even an old one. I see you started a thread and then deleted it, so I am hopeful that you have the answer to your question. Sorry for the late response, but if you still need help, please post again.

New at Simszoo
dodgy builder
#14 Old 29th Jun 2020 at 11:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by attuned
Hi @yavannatw - good to see you! I try to keep this group pretty casual so feel free to add a question or comment to an already existing thread, even an old one. I see you started a thread and then deleted it, so I am hopeful that you have the answer to your question. Sorry for the late response, but if you still need help, please post again.

I don't even know if I responded. I have been very busy with my exams and school assignments. I have more time to respond now. Where are people these days? Do they all go to the official sites?

It looks like I didn't even snswer the question. Funny thing that. My brain doesn't really have room for it with all the school work I have to do.
Top Secret Researcher
#15 Old 30th Jun 2020 at 4:58 AM
It is very quiet here. Maybe the pandemic and lock down has put people in a funk. I myself haven't opened my game in weeks. You would think if people had more time they would play more.
I am happy you are here.

New at Simszoo