Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Multi-Sims2Pack Installer

by Tashiketh Posted 12th Jan 2005 at 1:00 AM - Updated 6th Oct 2022 at 10:38 AM by Tashiketh

Closed Thread Locked by: Delphy Reason: Outdated program - no more support will be given
160 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 152 Feedback Posts, 7 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 2 of 7
The Quiet One
retired moderator
#26 Old 13th Jan 2005 at 2:48 AM Last edited by daysies : 13th Jan 2005 at 2:54 AM.
(Hi Jade!)

Great work, Delphy! I just tested this. I didn't have nearly as many files as Jade (because I already installed them the hard way and only had 47 to do tonight) and it zipped through them before I could blink! Seriously, it was that fast!

Just to add:

You have to make sure that you designate where your .sims2pack files are and where you want to extract them to (if you select "copy extracted files to download dir...") before you click on GO because you will never know where they're really going. I like to extract them in the same directory as my .sims2pack files so I can just cut and paste them where they need to go and I can move my .sims2pack files out of the "new" folder and into the "alreadyinstalled" folder. Yeah, I probably have triplicate of everything on my computer, but better safe than sorry!
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#27 Old 13th Jan 2005 at 3:49 AM
Jade, it could be that one sims2pack file it's choking on, since it shouldn't matter how many there are as it's just a loop.

I just thought of what it might be though... let me just compile up a new version.

Daysies, you dont need to do this everytime time. If you dont have the Copy Extracted files option checked it will save all the package files into the same folder as the sims2pack ones anyway.
The Quiet One
retired moderator
#28 Old 13th Jan 2005 at 3:50 AM
Oh, really? Thanks for the note. I just want to be extra sure that I'm not extracting them in some other folder. I'll have to test that out for myself, but I trust ya!
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#29 Old 13th Jan 2005 at 4:00 AM
Just updated to 1.0.3. I tried it out on a directory with over a thousand sims2pack files and it went along fine until about the 800th when I ran out of disk space
Field Researcher
#30 Old 13th Jan 2005 at 5:25 AM
Thanks for the info Delphy.
Lab Assistant
#31 Old 13th Jan 2005 at 5:57 AM
Delphy, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you! This is wonderful! I was able to open over 400 files with no problems at all.
Test Subject
#32 Old 13th Jan 2005 at 3:39 PM
Thank you so much, Delphy! This tool is great!
Banned
#33 Old 13th Jan 2005 at 4:59 PM
this doesn't work. i downloaded several sims which were sim2packed from sims2.com, run program, located my sims downloads folder, located the pack files, clicked go. went into bodyshop and...nothing the sims were not installed!
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#34 Old 13th Jan 2005 at 5:05 PM
Did you have "Copy to download directory" check *and* pointing to the correct directory?
Banned
#35 Old 13th Jan 2005 at 5:07 PM Last edited by dreamtrap : 13th Jan 2005 at 5:35 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Delphy
Did you have "Copy to download directory" check *and* pointing to the correct directory?

yes i clicked on a package file in the directory after clicking the ... button. i have dvd version of sims 2.
Inventor
#36 Old 13th Jan 2005 at 7:24 PM
Thank you ! Thank you ! Thank you !

The game would not be the same without you guys. :banana:

It was really a pain to install floors/walls without this, especially if you wanted to keep them in a separate folder. I tried the tool today with all my downlaoded, but not yet installed floors/walls and it worked like a charm.

So again: THANK YOU
Banned
#37 Old 13th Jan 2005 at 7:45 PM
i believe i have found the problem. when the program extracts the files it puts a ![CDATA[ in front of the file name and a ]] at the end of .package file for me. the game can't recognise the file because of this ]]. any idea why it's putting that on the end of the filenames?? here's an example of 1 of the files named:

![CDATA[4bbb9205_Eyeliner.package]]

i don't think the game likes the ![CDATA[ at the beginning either.
The Quiet One
retired moderator
#38 Old 13th Jan 2005 at 8:38 PM
I have not tested this with anything else but walls and floors, and I think that was Delphy's intention (?). I don't normally download complete Sims so I don't have any to test on... but I'd like to know if it's doable in the future.
Banned
#39 Old 13th Jan 2005 at 9:33 PM
so it doesn't work with skins?
Lab Assistant
#40 Old 13th Jan 2005 at 10:22 PM
As Delphi said, his tool is mostly intended for floors and walls, and he also suggested we use Phervers tools (sims2pack clean installer) for skins, houses etc .. :-)
Banned
#41 Old 13th Jan 2005 at 10:27 PM
sims2pack Clean Installer cannot install multiple sim2pack files.
Lab Assistant
#42 Old 13th Jan 2005 at 10:57 PM
Thank you Delphy! *blows kisses*

I would suggest that this be posted in a more prominent place, as the only way I found it is by clicking on "new posts", which I never ever do.
Lab Assistant
#43 Old 13th Jan 2005 at 11:35 PM Last edited by Azureale : 13th Jan 2005 at 11:37 PM. Reason: wrong quote
Dreamtrap :
The new version (1.5) can.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#44 Old 13th Jan 2005 at 11:36 PM
I've tried it with Skins and houses no probs.

If you get a sims2skin file with the CDATA stuff, attach it here and I'll look at the XML at the top.
Lab Assistant
#45 Old 13th Jan 2005 at 11:45 PM
Here is a Sims file which has generated 8 "![CDATA[blabla.package]]" files ;-)
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Beach Bunny v. 2.zip (838.0 KB, 32 downloads)
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#46 Old 13th Jan 2005 at 11:58 PM
Hiya,

Okay I took a look at the file... the name [i]is[/b] actually set as ![CDATA[221f74b1_longlashes.package]]

The HC+ files that I used when I wrote the program had the name as the correct whatever.package.

I've fixed and updated the program for this issue.

Thanks,
Delphy
Test Subject
#47 Old 14th Jan 2005 at 4:13 AM
Default multi sims2pack problems
I was wondering if the multi sims2pack installer also works with houses and if so does that also go to the downloads folder?

also it seems to be installing over and over without stop. i have to X it out to stop it from running

thans you
Susan
Lab Assistant
#48 Old 14th Jan 2005 at 7:10 AM Last edited by Azureale : 14th Jan 2005 at 7:15 AM.
Thank you a lot for your hard work and quick response to fix up all these details, it now works perfectly and extracts the files with the "normal" names :-)
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#49 Old 14th Jan 2005 at 10:09 AM
Yes it works with house, and you choose where you want the files.

It wont loop over and over but keep going until it runs out of files to process.

I'm merging this with the existing thread.
Lab Assistant
#50 Old 14th Jan 2005 at 10:34 AM
Sorry for not understanding, but are you saying there is another thread on the forum for your prog ?
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7