Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

HQ Texture Converter - version 2.7.0.0 - updated 2/14/2023

by CmarNYC Posted 23rd Nov 2018 at 8:35 PM - Updated 14th Feb 2023 at 5:12 PM by CmarNYC : New version upload

247 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 219 Feedback Posts, 27 Thanks Posts
Thanks are currently OFF: Show Thanks Posts for this thread
Page 4 of 10
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#76 Old 9th Dec 2018 at 4:04 PM
Version 2.2 uploaded with a fix for shadow lines reappearing.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Top Secret Researcher
#77 Old 9th Dec 2018 at 7:49 PM
Okay so would running the program onto a different drive help? It was on my C drive but I downloaded the new program and put it on my D drive. So far so good, knock on wood. Only done 8 so far though, so hard to tell.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#78 Old 9th Dec 2018 at 9:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by claudiasharon
Okay so would running the program onto a different drive help? It was on my C drive but I downloaded the new program and put it on my D drive. So far so good, knock on wood. Only done 8 so far though, so hard to tell.

Without knowing why this happens I can't say. If it continues to work on another drive that might mean it's hardware.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Top Secret Researcher
#79 Old 9th Dec 2018 at 11:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC
Without knowing why this happens I can't say. If it continues to work on another drive that might mean it's hardware.

It's the same PC though, what hardware would be only on C not on D?
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#80 Old 9th Dec 2018 at 11:54 PM
It's the same PC though, what hardware would be only on C not on D?

The hard drive itself could have a bad spot. It's unlikely to be the problem, though, since the operating system detects and works around bad sectors.

Top Secret Researcher
#81 Old 10th Dec 2018 at 1:46 AM
The hard drive itself could have a bad spot. It's unlikely to be the problem, though, since the operating system detects and works around bad sectors.

I have my C drive as a solid state but my D drive isn't, could that have anything to do with it?
Oh and I noticed when I have the program running, sometimes my screen goes black like it is going to sleep. Hubby says it could be my monitor is going, but it seems to only happen when I run your program. Right now I have it on D drive, but it was on C drive.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#82 Old 10th Dec 2018 at 1:25 PM
I have my C drive as a solid state but my D drive isn't, could that have anything to do with it?
Oh and I noticed when I have the program running, sometimes my screen goes black like it is going to sleep. Hubby says it could be my monitor is going, but it seems to only happen when I run your program. Right now I have it on D drive, but it was on C drive.

Well, it might run faster on solid state although again that's kind of doubtful. As for the screen going black, that's happened to me as well. I think it's caused by the computer trying to hibernate the screen or maybe by the GPU being locked up by the repeated resizing operations. (Resizing is done by using the graphics card to draw the resized image.)

Top Secret Researcher
#83 Old 10th Dec 2018 at 11:19 PM Last edited by claudiasharon : 11th Dec 2018 at 2:05 AM.
This is so frustrating, it will work for a little bit then shut the program down. I had to add it to exceptions in my antivirus, could that have something to do with it maybe?

Edit: I tried turning off my internet and disabling my antivirus but it still shut down on me. Ugh. I wonder if the 32bit would make a difference. Or would it give me the system memory error?

Edit 2 32bit did the same thing. Ugh.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#84 Old 11th Dec 2018 at 3:37 AM Last edited by CmarNYC : 16th Dec 2018 at 3:04 PM.
I completely understand how frustrating this is.

If you can get a time when the program failed you can try looking in the event log and see if you can find errors that happened at that time. It might not help much but is worth a try.

https://www.howtogeek.com/123646/ht...you-can-use-it/

You can also check that your video card driver is up to date.

Edit: I added something to try to catch and display errors - please try the attached version and see if you get an error message.

Edit: Test versions replaced by version 2.3.

Top Secret Researcher
#85 Old 11th Dec 2018 at 4:21 AM Last edited by claudiasharon : 11th Dec 2018 at 1:54 PM.
I completely understand how frustrating this is.

If you can get a time when the program failed you can try looking in the event log and see if you can find errors that happened at that time. It might not help much but is worth a try.

https://www.howtogeek.com/123646/ht...you-can-use-it/

You can also check that your video card driver is up to date.

Edit: I added something to try to catch and display errors - please try the attached version and see if you get an error message.

I looked through it and got this error a lot. And I mean a lot. Tons of it.

Dled the file will test it out.

It closed on me again but I didn't get a message about why.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#86 Old 11th Dec 2018 at 2:31 PM
It closed on me again but I didn't get a message about why.

The error you saw in the log is just a normal Windows thing, according to the Microsoft support site.

IMO the fact that it's still failing with no error means that the application itself isn't throwing a normal type of error and it's likely to be some sort of operating system or hardware conflict. You can test a few more things, like try disabling the power saving sleep and hibernation in case that's interfering somehow, and monitor the CPU and GPU temperatures. (http://www.tomshardware.com/answers...es-windows.html) And again you should check that your graphics driver is up to date.

The converter is a fairly memory intensive application and also uses the CPU and GPU to a lesser extent, so my guess is that it's somehow pushing one of those beyond your system's tolerance, but that's only a guess. Memory problems really should give an error and if your system can run TS4 it should be able to run the converter. It's baffling.

Top Secret Researcher
#87 Old 11th Dec 2018 at 5:40 PM Last edited by claudiasharon : 11th Dec 2018 at 7:17 PM.
The error you saw in the log is just a normal Windows thing, according to the Microsoft support site.

IMO the fact that it's still failing with no error means that the application itself isn't throwing a normal type of error and it's likely to be some sort of operating system or hardware conflict. You can test a few more things, like try disabling the power saving sleep and hibernation in case that's interfering somehow, and monitor the CPU and GPU temperatures. (http://www.tomshardware.com/answers...es-windows.html) And again you should check that your graphics driver is up to date.

The converter is a fairly memory intensive application and also uses the CPU and GPU to a lesser extent, so my guess is that it's somehow pushing one of those beyond your system's tolerance, but that's only a guess. Memory problems really should give an error and if your system can run TS4 it should be able to run the converter. It's baffling.

My graphics are up to date, also I found some info about your program.

This is from the version you shared with me yesterday.

And also a second before that message:

So not sure what that means.

Edit: If I am reading it right, which I am probably not, does it mean I don't have permission to use it?

Edit2: Ran as administrator and got the same message as above again and the program closed on me again.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#88 Old 11th Dec 2018 at 9:25 PM
Okay, that actually tells me a lot. The error in the second message typically means the program is trying to access memory in a spot it's not supposed to, narrows down where in the code it's happening, indicates what's going wrong and why there's no error message. Why it's happening and why on your computer and not as far as I know on any others is still a mystery.

You found these in the event log?

Are you using default settings?

Are you sure it's not any particular package? Have you tried with a completely different set of packages? Maybe divide them into two sets and see if one completes and the other doesn't. (I'm guessing here, figure almost anything's worth considering.)

Meanwhile I'll go into my code and put in some safeguards that should catch the problem before a crash, assuming it's actually what that message says it is.

Top Secret Researcher
#89 Old 11th Dec 2018 at 9:46 PM Last edited by claudiasharon : 11th Dec 2018 at 10:06 PM.
Okay, that actually tells me a lot. The error in the second message typically means the program is trying to access memory in a spot it's not supposed to, narrows down where in the code it's happening, indicates what's going wrong and why there's no error message. Why it's happening and why on your computer and not as far as I know on any others is still a mystery.

You found these in the event log?

Are you using default settings?

Are you sure it's not any particular package? Have you tried with a completely different set of packages? Maybe divide them into two sets and see if one completes and the other doesn't. (I'm guessing here, figure almost anything's worth considering.)

Meanwhile I'll go into my code and put in some safeguards that should catch the problem before a crash, assuming it's actually what that message says it is.

Yes this was in the event log, I was just looking in the wrong section before. It is random packages by different creators. I went through and started my clothes, and did some clothes from KiaraZurek and it did it, then Onyxsims the next day and it did it, random TSR creators it has done it, random tumblr creators as well. I put all my clothes into one folder, and started the program with the default settings (every time, I never changed them), and the program started from the top. It really seems like package creator wise it is completely random, as I finished Onyxsims and it did it a few times there, and now it's on Peacemaker-ic and it did it once there so far.

EDIT:Added the three packages from the last crash.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  PCTS4MCButtonedUpJeansHQ.zip (7.85 MB, 5 downloads)
Description: This was the last file it did
File Type: zip  PCTS4ComfyPullover.zip (3.59 MB, 6 downloads)
Description: This was the next file
File Type: zip  PCTS4MCButtonedUpJeans.zip (2.28 MB, 4 downloads)
Description: PRE-HQ
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#90 Old 12th Dec 2018 at 1:16 AM Last edited by CmarNYC : 16th Dec 2018 at 2:57 PM.
Okay, let's give this a try. Possibly it'll catch the error and give me more info.

*Edit: Test versions replaced by version 2.3.

Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#91 Old 12th Dec 2018 at 12:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Tiffany A
Omg, I thought it was just me having this problem, lol. I started having this issue after using version 2.0, too. I thought maybe restarting my computer would help, but I still had the same problem after that.

So this version includes a way to see what caused the error? What would I need to do to get that information?

I hope so. If it works, you'll get an error message on-screen and you can do a screen grab and post it here.

Top Secret Researcher
#92 Old 12th Dec 2018 at 2:19 PM
Okay, let's give this a try. Possibly it'll catch the error and give me more info.

Yeah still no error message for me, same messages in event viewer.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#93 Old 12th Dec 2018 at 5:43 PM Last edited by CmarNYC : 16th Dec 2018 at 2:58 PM.
Sorry this is being so stubborn! I did some research and made changes that should correct for a couple of possible problems. @claudiasharon and @Tiffany A please give it another try.

Still not understanding why this affects the two of you and not me or LunaLechuza or presumably most others. Could you tell me what graphics card you have and your operating system?

I guess I'll try on a larger set of packages.

Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#94 Old 12th Dec 2018 at 8:08 PM
Thanks for testing. My card is nVidia GTX as well and I'm on Win 10 so no answers there.

At this point I'm out of ideas and can only suggest you keep moving the packages that converted successfully to another folder and run it again. Annoying, but you should end up with everything converted.

Top Secret Researcher
#95 Old 12th Dec 2018 at 8:14 PM Last edited by claudiasharon : 12th Dec 2018 at 9:44 PM.
Thanks for testing. My card is nVidia as well and I'm on Win 10 so no answers there.

At this point I'm out of ideas and can only suggest you keep moving the packages that converted successfully to another folder and run it again. Annoying, but you should end up with everything converted.

I have nVida too, I'll test that program when I get home. I am also on windows 10. My graphics card is gtx 1060.

Edit I just wish I could let it run overnight and have it actually finished. I am still on clothes and theres 1,000 packages and it takes forever.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#96 Old 12th Dec 2018 at 9:51 PM
IT HAPPENED TO ME! Seems to have just taken running it on a larger number of packages. This is good news since now I can test, but it's likely to take some time since each test may take hours.

Top Secret Researcher
#97 Old 12th Dec 2018 at 10:15 PM
IT HAPPENED TO ME! Seems to have just taken running it on a larger number of packages. This is good news since now I can test, but it's likely to take some time since each test may take hours.

Wow that's great I guess lol. Hopefully you'll figure out a fix for it soon. Thank you for helping me so much trying to figure this out.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#98 Old 12th Dec 2018 at 11:42 PM
Thank YOU for being patient and working with me! I'll keep you guys posted.

Test Subject
#99 Old 13th Dec 2018 at 1:38 AM
Tracking this as well since it's happening to me. Definitely looking forward to updates!
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#100 Old 14th Dec 2018 at 6:18 PM Last edited by CmarNYC : 16th Dec 2018 at 2:59 PM.
@claudiasharon @Tiffany A @unkemptpaladin

I found a part that I believe was writing to memory where it shouldn't and corrupting it. That would explain the frustratingly random access violation failures. (Don't worry, the only harm done was the program crashing.) Fixed that and did some tweaking to try and make the tool a bit more efficient and less of a memory hog. I've now converted my set of 100 packages multiple times without a failure, so fingers crossed the problem is solved. I'm continuing to test.

Please give it the torture test and let me know!

Page 4 of 10