Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Mar 2010 at 2:19 AM
Default Tutorial for Trees/plants in TS3
[IMG]Has anyone made or figured out how to make outdoor non-static plants, trees in The Sims 3? I'm pretty versed at plant generation in other applications/games just not sure how TS3 handles them
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 19th Mar 2010 at 11:56 PM
You need to buy a program, I just can't remember the name of it right now but it cost well over £1000, that's $2000 if you're in the states. It's just not worth it, I really wish I could reember the name of it, I looked it up when the game first came out. Out of our reach mate
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#3 Old 19th Mar 2010 at 11:58 PM
Alchemist
#4 Old 20th Mar 2010 at 12:28 AM Last edited by orangemittens : 20th Mar 2010 at 12:46 AM.
Speed Tree, according to its web site costs thousands of dollars even if you can figure out which of the categories sharing something made with it for free online in the Sims community would fall into. Here's the product website's cost list:

http://www.speedtree.com/downloads/..._Fact_Sheet.pdf

What a surprise that EA would use something like this for S3 thus insuring that basically no one in the community would be able to make any new greenery that competes with theirs...phhht. And this from the company that said S3 was gonna be all we ever dreamed of and more in terms of modding it...lol.

The Speed Tree tool does have a free 30 day trial so I suppose if you knew what you were doin' with it you could get all your models together and just go crazy...lol. But it's unclear whether you could then share those without a license from the Speed Tree company.

Honestly though, I think this game needs more outdoor greenery...there's just no way EA is gonna be able to keep up with that demand and no way their terrible designers are gonna make stuff people really crave anyhow. The greenery in S2 didn't ooze around (and oozing is more what the animation looks like than blowing in a breeze IMO) and everyone still liked it and I imagine that people who just want to take still shots wouldn't care if it were moving at all. If you have a desire to make outdoor plants/shrubs/trees I would just clone a deco item and make them. People will download what you make I bet.

I think a whole 'nother thread could be taken up with how realistic constantly shaking trees/shrubs are anyhow...in real life they mostly aren't moving like they do in S3. Given the choice between the weird seething the S3 buyable trees/shrubs do and a static tree/shrub I'd probably choose the static one anyway since it *is* more realistic. Trees/shrubs only move when a breeze blows through...and unless you're somewhere like Kansas chances are the breeze is not constant.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 20th Mar 2010 at 7:21 AM
Default Thank you everyone
I thought it looked like Speedtree. I own a legal copy of Speedtree. The liscense states I can't share anything though without paying a rediculous fee though

I guess I'll poke around and try to add some trees I did for another game. The trees I want are not in the game, they're rather extinct except save a few modern varities.