Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Spice Pony
#26 Old 20th Jul 2015 at 5:50 AM
You're welcome! There's some good stuff in there (the list, I mean).

Might as well contribute some more detail on my own stuff. Warning: there's a lot.

Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#27 Old 20th Jul 2015 at 9:55 AM
Clarifications for my story:

Anyway, on to your story.

My MTS writing group, The Story Board
Spice Pony
#28 Old 20th Jul 2015 at 5:52 PM

Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#29 Old 21st Jul 2015 at 4:18 AM Last edited by hugbug993 : 21st Jul 2015 at 4:58 AM.

And now we come to the Sidai.
Screenshots

Spice Pony
#30 Old 22nd Jul 2015 at 4:14 AM

Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#31 Old 22nd Jul 2015 at 6:50 AM
Glad I could help. :D

Quote: Originally posted by ewenk7
Actually, no. I think I might have considered it, but I tossed the idea aside. Do you think it would be a good inclusion? I suppose I could compromise and make them sexually dimorphic.

I don't think it would affect much whether or not you put them in - horns in real life are mainly weapons or sexual displays for the males of a species. The sidhe can use magic and they're bipedal, so they would probably use that as a weapon instead of headbutting. Sexual displays, maybe.
And then it depends exactly what kind of ungulate they're descended from. A horse wouldn't have horns, but a goat or a deer type would. A fictional type of ungulate, maybe.
They could be entirely vestigial, too. Eh. Guess it depends on aesthetic. You probably have a much clearer picture in your head than I do.

Spice Pony
#32 Old 25th Jul 2015 at 5:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by hugbug993

I don't think it would affect much whether or not you put them in - horns in real life are mainly weapons or sexual displays for the males of a species. The sidhe can use magic and they're bipedal, so they would probably use that as a weapon instead of headbutting. Sexual displays, maybe.
And then it depends exactly what kind of ungulate they're descended from. A horse wouldn't have horns, but a goat or a deer type would. A fictional type of ungulate, maybe.
They could be entirely vestigial, too. Eh. Guess it depends on aesthetic. You probably have a much clearer picture in your head than I do.

Also, I have another book recommendation for you. I don't know if you like pulpy adventure stuff, but if you do, might I recommend James Rollins' Subterranean? It heavily involves the mimi, one of the fairy races of Australian mythology.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#33 Old 25th Jul 2015 at 7:10 PM Last edited by hugbug993 : 25th Jul 2015 at 8:14 PM.
I meant not much in comparison to a species that would have evolved on a planet with a fresh crust, as you suggested. And yes, but that's because the majority of the planet is much cooler - surviving in boiling water isn't necessary for anything that isn't living in lava vents or other hot areas, and the adaptations would make it more difficult to survive in cooler temperatures. For a species that lived in a much hotter time, it would be pretty crucial.

My thoughts on that is that their life evolved around a lava vent in shallow waters instead of the deep ocean. That means that the entire area was boiling hot. Most life there had to evolve to meet those conditions, which they did, and some of it evolved into multi-celled organisms and beyond.
A few species liked the cold more, so they migrated to the colder regions of the world, since there was less competition there. When the world began to cool, those species moved back down while the others slowly died out. The Sidai managed to preserve some of the species that needed hotter temperatures, especially the ones that were cute or useful, but most of the others became extinct. The ones that liked the cold were better able to adapt to the cooling world, to it evolved into a biosphere similar to our own, since most of the factors that influenced earth evolution were present on that world. The ancient species are very different, but not many of them will show up. I'm definitely bringing up the ones that eat eyeballs and the Spiralbugs, though.

The world also happens to be infested with creatures that I based on the darker fae stories. Invisible creatures that will eat you alive and wear your skin. Guardians of forests, who make sure loggers will never come back alive. Things that will punish you for disturbing the dead by making your body waste away to nothing. Creatures that will crawl into your bed at night, wake you up, and dissolve your teeth with acid if your breath stinks. The reason for that falls firmly into the spoiler category, but it means that most species targeted by them are tougher. The Sidai do appear to have some control over the fae, but they're not directly related to them.

I also wanted to add lava whales, because that would be cool, but I couldn't make things work.

Anyway...

Spice Pony
#34 Old 27th Jul 2015 at 7:55 PM
Ah, dagnabbit. I started a post and then it drowned in a sea of tabs.

Well, you know what they say. If at first you don't succeed… do, or do not. There is no try.

Wait, I don't think that's how it goes. Anyway…

Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#35 Old 27th Jul 2015 at 11:56 PM
Yeah, that was kind of tooth-fairy based, but I did have a good reason for including it.

Spice Pony
#36 Old 30th Jul 2015 at 12:42 AM

Incidentally, given your reaction to my description of the charybdis, I think you might like the large-scale plotline of one of my sci-fi concepts. I've already alluded to it. I should explain it in-depth one of these times. I'd post it now, but while I wouldn't mind having around 4+ conversations simultaneously, I don't want to drive you nuts. I hope this discussion isn't boring you, by the way. I wish I could be of more help with your stuff. I mean, I guess you're a professional, but still…
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#37 Old 30th Jul 2015 at 11:51 PM

Incidentally, given your reaction to my description of the charybdis, I think you might like the large-scale plotline of one of my sci-fi concepts. I've already alluded to it. I should explain it in-depth one of these times. I'd post it now, but while I wouldn't mind having around 4+ conversations simultaneously, I don't want to drive you nuts. I hope this discussion isn't boring you, by the way. I wish I could be of more help with your stuff. I mean, I guess you're a professional, but still…

Don't worry about it. I like the conversation and it does actually help me. (I'm actually making a little bit up on the fly.) Plus, I like hearing your stuff and getting to talk about mine. And a lot of conversations is nothing new for me - I think my record is 8.

So, what's your concept?

Spice Pony
#38 Old 1st Aug 2015 at 6:26 AM Last edited by ewenk7 : 1st Aug 2015 at 10:59 PM. Reason: There/their. Thought I was better than that.

Don't worry about it. I like the conversation and it does actually help me. (I'm actually making a little bit up on the fly.) Plus, I like hearing your stuff and getting to talk about mine. And a lot of conversations is nothing new for me - I think my record is 8.

Glad to hear that. And I understand perfectly; I have trouble corresponding over email because I'll write paragraphs and paragraphs and then a lot of people will just send a few words in response.

So, what's your concept?

And, because I can:

Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#39 Old 6th Aug 2015 at 4:15 PM
Sorry it took so long to reply. One of my clients got his book published, so that project needed extra attention. On the plus side, I now have my name attached to a published book that I'm not entirely ashamed of.

Glad to hear that. And I understand perfectly; I have trouble corresponding over email because I'll write paragraphs and paragraphs and then a lot of people will just send a few words in response.

Yeah, that’s incredibly annoying. Especially when I’m debating YEC Christians. That seems to happen a lot, and they tend to skip over a lot of points I make, too.

And thanks for the reference guide.

Spice Pony
#40 Old 9th Aug 2015 at 4:10 AM Last edited by ewenk7 : 9th Aug 2015 at 5:04 PM.
The other day, I had a dumb idea. Picture this:

There's this guy, right? Maybe it's a girl. I don't care. Anyway, they're an extremely gifted clairvoyant. The ability is subconscious, so what happens is they just get feelings and intuitions.

The problem: they also have severe OCD. And they can't tell the difference.

"Drinking orange juice instead of milk this morning could mean the difference between life and death! Or it could be my OCD acting up again. Hmm… better not risk it. I must drink all the orange juice!"

Sorry it took so long to reply. One of my clients got his book published, so that project needed extra attention. On the plus side, I now have my name attached to a published book that I'm not entirely ashamed of.

No problem. What's the book? Is it out yet?

Yeah, that’s incredibly annoying. Especially when I’m debating YEC Christians. That seems to happen a lot, and they tend to skip over a lot of points I make, too.

For me, it was most a pain in high school. I didn't really have many friends at the time (or now, for that matter), and I was desperate to get social interaction. But it didn't exactly work when I was the only one trying. It was made worse by the fact that I'm a fairly liberal person living in a fairly conservative area, so once they got to know me, a lot of the people I was talking to would just cut off contact suddenly.

EDIT: Did some checking, and it turns out that I wasn't thinking of the giant siphonophore. Not sure what I had in mind. I'm picturing something with globular segments. Sadly, the only siphonophore taxa I can name off the bat are the giant siphonophore (P. dubia) and the Portuguese man-o-war. Huh. Well, anyway.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#41 Old 9th Aug 2015 at 8:18 PM
*sigh*
I had this excellent idea for a prologue which would introduce three of the major characters, set the tone for the series, provide a ton of foreshadowing, and be extremely creepy. The catch is that I have to write it from a small child's perspective. So I wrote it, but I can't write children. Probably because I was never a normal child. So it sucks.

The other day, I had a dumb idea. Picture this:

There's this guy, right? Maybe it's a girl. I don't care. Anyway, they're an extremely gifted clairvoyant. The ability is subconscious, so what happens is they just get feelings and intuitions.

The problem: they also have severe OCD. And they can't tell the difference.

"Drinking orange juice instead of milk this morning could mean the difference between life and death! Or it could be my OCD acting up again. Hmm… better not risk it. I must drink all the orange juice!"

Like Monk but with literal superpowers?

I could see that being a funny background event in a book, but the OCD would have to be treated with a lot of weight the rest of the time.

No problem. What's the book? Is it out yet?

It is a children's book for very young children, and yes it is. It's self-published on Amazon, called Ronnie the Rooster - guy's selling it in conjunction with a game of the same name in order to promote both. Don't know if it's gotten any sales yet, though.

For me, it was most a pain in high school. I didn't really have many friends at the time (or now, for that matter), and I was desperate to get social interaction. But it didn't exactly work when I was the only one trying. It was made worse by the fact that I'm a fairly liberal person living in a fairly conservative area, so once they got to know me, a lot of the people I was talking to would just cut off contact suddenly.

Had a similar problem in my school. While I did meet a couple of people who were fairly liberal, most of the people there were... well...

That guy was a grade ahead of me and constantly talked about how he thought gay people were mentally ill and how his beliefs were more true because he said so. Also, constantly mentioned that his last name was not Hitler, even though it was clear it wasn't. Even the one guy who was also an atheist was kind of a neckbeard and we fell out after he told me that I should just get over my depression and that I clearly couldn't have been locked in my room for a weekend without food because parents just didn't do that. Though there was also a Jewish atheist and we got along well, even if he was a gun nut, but fell out when he went to Austria and the time difference made it difficult to talk.

EDIT: Did some checking, and it turns out that I wasn't thinking of the giant siphonophore. Not sure what I had in mind. I'm picturing something with globular segments. Sadly, the only siphonophore taxa I can name off the bat are the giant siphonophore (P. dubia) and the Portuguese man-o-war. Huh. Well, anyway.

Still a good concept. I think I've mentioned a similar thing I've done, though those are sapient cells.

Spice Pony
#42 Old 10th Aug 2015 at 4:42 AM
The catch is that I have to write it from a small child's perspective.

For some reason, anything written from the perspective of anyone under middle school age creeps me out. I'm not sure why. It's always been like that, even when I was that age myself. Maybe it's just the association with the really bad literature which teachers tend to assign as reading prior to high school. The only things I remember liking that were assigned in middle or elementary school were Holes, a surprisingly complete retelling of The Rape of Persephone, and a really good adult-level sci-fi novel I never got to finish because I was kicked out of the advanced reading program for not finishing my in-class math work quickly enough. (Absolutely no connection between those, by the way. The more I think about it, the more I realise that my elementary school sucked.) Pretty much everything else was garbage. Mostly faux-artistic "coming of age" stories. I will never understand the obsession with those. I mean, real coming of age that aren't trying to be all artsy can be done well. I loved To Kill a Mockingbird (although that may be a bad example of the genre). But then, we read that in high school. High school literature was fine, even good (mostly; I cannot emphasise enough how much I hated "Incident At Owl Creek Bridge", for instance). It's pretty much everything before that that was utter garbage.

Wow, that got off on a tangent quickly.

EDIT (Sort of): The sheer length of the sci-fi bit seems to have broken the post. I'll store a copy. Go ahead and respond to this, and then I'll post it. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#43 Old 10th Aug 2015 at 8:49 PM Last edited by hugbug993 : 10th Aug 2015 at 10:07 PM.
For some reason, anything written from the perspective of anyone under middle school age creeps me out.

Well, the intent of the prologue is to be creepy, so maybe that would work? I wanted it to be subtly creepy, but I think it came off much more overt than I intended.

Honestly, I wish people could be less sensitive about that sort of thing.

Um, you have a character who can't tell whether his impulses are signs of terrible things happening/about to happen or just his impulses. If he ever tries to get treated for OCD, he'll feel like denying things means dooming the world, on top of the normal anxiety. If it's severe, like you described, he could feel like he has to follow every impulse to keep everyone safe. That kind of pressure could cause a person to snap and take it further. Do you know how dark the human mind is? If he's used to doing things that make no sense in order to ease his mind, he could easily take that much further. He could become a horrifying villain: hurting people en-mass in order to fulfill unsubstantiated feelings. And if people know he's clairvoyant/precognitive, then they could go along with this in order to avert what they think will be a terrifying fate. And the worst part is that he'll likely believe he's doing the right thing, no matter what he does, because that's how he feels.

Using that mainly for comedy is like hanging a nuclear bomb over a city and doing nothing with it but laughing at someone painting a penis on it. Sure, that would be funny, but you still have a nuclear bomb hanging over a city.

It would. Not sure it would make sense, but it'd be cool. I'm reminded of that quote from Tolkien about demon wings. Actually, you could have them stay as-is, and become giant stabby things of death. I once saw an image satirising outdated pop-culture palaeontology, a reconstruction of a chicken from bones alone. It was this big scaly bipedal monster with giant scythe arms.

The bone structure is a pretty big problem. Birds don't have the 'finger' structure, which is what makes the wings look really cool. It also wouldn't make sense to put the black fur on it, since they're hairless. Too bad, because I really like that idea.

I couldn't find the quote. I was able to find a very long article about whether balrogs have wings, but that's it.

I don't know what's worse, the possibility that the males are sapient, or the possibility that they aren't. Applying nature's weirder bits to people can make for interesting stories. I've always wanted to do a horror thing with giant spaceborne creatures that absorb megafauna as endosymbiotes.

They aren't sapient. The males are pretty much big, bean-shaped balls of flesh with a penis and a brain programmed for basic regulatory functions.

The females, on the other hand, are ungulate-shaped, but they have claws and tend to climb around a lot. They have seven legs - two walkers and a grasper in front, two graspers in the middle, and two walkers in back. They have six pouches, three on each side, and keep their offspring in that - or let the females crawl over their body - until they're old enough to live on their own. They have another pouch on their back, where they keep one male. To get it in there, another female puts it in with her pair of graspers. Once the male is in there, the female's body attaches it to her digestive system and provides all the nourishment. If the male dies or the female is starving, she can digest it and use it to feed herself and the babies. Other than that, they're mostly herbivores.

They tend to have a herd structure and have a low tech level, but some of them discovered some more advanced tech left behind, taught it their language, and managed to communicate with the closest humanoid races. Since the communicator provided translation and there was no video, both sides were a little shocked to discover what they'd been talking to.

The people who created most of the humanoid races were pretty bad at cleaning up their litter. That was one of the ideas behind a possible sequel series that you might actually like.

Couldn't find it with a search. You sure you weren't thinking of "Mirror chemistry"?

Huh. Can't find it, either, but the Mirror Chemistry entry doesn't look like what I saw.

Maybe I've spent so much time on TVTropes that I'm hallucinating pages.

Are you absolutely positive he wasn't trolling you? The only way I can imagine someone saying that with sincerity is if they've been repeatedly had their beliefs compared to Nazis… which, to be fair, given what he had to say, he probably did. Nevermind.

It was one letter off from Hitler, but it was the first letter so it changed the entire way the name looked, so it was obviously not the same thing.

EDIT (Sort of): The sheer length of the sci-fi bit seems to have broken the post. I'll store a copy. Go ahead and respond to this, and then I'll post it. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Not a problem.

Spice Pony
#44 Old 11th Aug 2015 at 12:22 AM
[OCD discussion]

Ah. I assumed you were coming from a politically correct angle rather than a writing one. People getting offended on my behalf at things I don't find offensive is kind of a pet peeve.
I probably couldn't write something like that, to be honest. Not only do I dislike dark psychological stories, but one like that would be especially bad due to the familiarity. It's like I often say when explaining why I dislike The Scarlet Letter. Sure, the book spoke to me on a deep level, but in a bad way.

I really should've known what you meant, given your liking for dark stuff.

The bone structure is a pretty big problem. Birds don't have the 'finger' structure, which is what makes the wings look really cool. It also wouldn't make sense to put the black fur on it, since they're hairless. Too bad, because I really like that idea.

How do you feel about pterosaur wings? You could give them something like those, but without the other three fingers.

I couldn't find the quote. I was able to find a very long article about whether balrogs have wings, but that's it.

It's the leading quote here: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...dWingsEvilWings

The females, on the other hand, are ungulate-shaped, but they have claws and tend to climb around a lot. They have seven legs - two walkers and a grasper in front, two graspers in the middle, and two walkers in back. They have six pouches, three on each side, and keep their offspring in that - or let the females crawl over their body - until they're old enough to live on their own. They have another pouch on their back, where they keep one male. To get it in there, another female puts it in with her pair of graspers. Once the male is in there, the female's body attaches it to her digestive system and provides all the nourishment. If the male dies or the female is starving, she can digest it and use it to feed herself and the babies. Other than that, they're mostly herbivores.

The worst part is, it still sounds less disturbing than how anglerfish do it.

[storyconcept]

Sounds pretty interesting. I'd probably like it. Remind me sometime to ask for more detail on the sevalfer.

Huh. Can't find it, either, but the Mirror Chemistry entry doesn't look like what I saw.

Maybe I've spent so much time on TVTropes that I'm hallucinating pages.

Okay, I'll describe it, since the Wikipedia page seems to have gotten less accessible over time. Basically, it's matter which is charged in such a way that it doesn't interact with regular matter except by gravity (and occasionally by some weird process involving photons that's basically the equivalent of a shimmering cloaking field). Other than that, it's pretty much ordinary matter. Which means that if you did it right, you could have a thing with two different worlds occupying the same place in space. It'd be great for a science fantasy setting.

I still wasn't able to fit the whole part here. That's what I get for trying to discuss two storylines in one post. Here's the first part, anyway:

Now, as far as the question I had goes, I figure that if anyone is really that desperate for spoilers, they can read it if they like:

Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#45 Old 11th Aug 2015 at 7:58 PM
I probably couldn't write something like that, to be honest. Not only do I dislike dark psychological stories, but one like that would be especially bad due to the familiarity. It's like I often say when explaining why I dislike The Scarlet Letter. Sure, the book spoke to me on a deep level, but in a bad way.

The Scarlet Letter? Huh. I thought that was just boring and a little too full of itself.

I can really only do dark psychology when it comes with getting pulled out, like my first novel. The protagonist was driven to the brink of suicide, but she clawed her way out and kept herself alive. Granted, she did it by screwing herself up even more, but she still managed to heal in the end.

For me, it's mostly the subtle or implied stuff, though, because I find that what my own mind can cook up is much more terrifying than what other people can show me. I'm not sure if that's objective or not, but I'd rather be given the bones of a scenario and have the characters react to the implied meat than, say, one of those modern so-called horror stories that's really a gorefest. I'm sorry, but if you can't try to scare me while keeping the guts inside the body, it ain't horror.

How do you feel about pterosaur wings? You could give them something like those, but without the other three fingers.

Same problems, though.

Actually, come to think of it, they are a little more like bat wings than bird wings...

Ah, screw it, I'm giving them hang glider wings covered in feathers that look like bat wings when you pluck them.

It's the leading quote here: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...dWingsEvilWings

Oh. You said Tolkien, not C. S. Lewis.

The worst part is, it still sounds less disturbing than how anglerfish do it.

Anglerfish-inspired, then.

Sounds pretty interesting. I'd probably like it. Remind me sometime to ask for more detail on the sevalfer.

Or I could give it right now.

[mirror matter]

I've seen something similar in fiction before. Can't remember what the name of the story was, but there was a shadow-Earth about to pass through normal Earth.

I know you can't be talking about Avatar. My best guess is that you're talking about The Host, although if so, your assessment of its contents are… highly dubious. I suppose if you throw Twilight into the mix, it makes a little more sense, but not much. I don't remember sympathetic alien conquerors in it, either.

The Host. Though the James Cameron film has its own problems.
I am not going back into that thing to pull out the relevant quotes, but one of the "love interests" says that the aliens were justified in taking over the human race - and that the human race's latent desires are responsible for their worst instincts. Then, of course, there's using someone else's body to have a romance while she's battering at the back of your skull for you to stop, which is rape. Or how about when the protagonist gets used as a punching bag and she makes excuses for him? Oh, and there's the lovely time near the end of the book where crap-Yeerk realizes that the equally insufferable one's body doesn't belong to her - it belongs to a man, so they stick her in a twelve-year-old's kewpie doll body so she can carry on a romance. At least she wasn't put in a body that's two years old or newborn, unlike some characters.

Now, maybe I'm not remembering things correctly, because that thing and Meyer's prose (she can stick her undulating anemones where the sun don't shine) was so disgusting that I barely made it through one read. But this is the same woman who identifies most with her misogynistic, genocidal, murderous hero/love interest specifically because he's so black and white (MTV Interview); thinks it's terrible to keep vampires from eating babies or enslaving the human race (Breaking Dawn); and thinks it's okay for vampires to eat people because people are short-lived, it's not terrible for people not to be vegetarians, and also feeling remorse doesn't help the families of the victims, so why bother? (Correspondence 12) Oh, and apparently vampires feel a burning hunger that is so bad that it's like literally being on fire, so it's okay to kill people. Not that that's actually in the books.

She's also gone on record as saying that she hates humans. Because apparently that's more acceptable than being anti-feminist, which she also is.

[Krasnikov tubes]

So those are the things the Perverters are using?

[Amanda]

That depends on your ability to keep then separate. I mean, names are pretty attached to characters, in my experience. I recently renamed a character, and it was a major pain because I associated her with that name. One of my clients cannot detach his mental image of characters from their original conception. He had no problem when the name was changed, but when the name was the same, he kept trying to write them as their original conceptions, even when it made no sense. For example, he was trying to make a character - who was A. a police officer, B. pretty smart, and C. really intolerant of bullshit to the point where he threw his own brother out of his apartment - too naive to realize that he was being manipulated into staying in a conversation he really didn't want to have. It was partly railroading, but it was partly the original conception of the character.

So if you have two characters named the same, it could cause them to be mixed up in your mind, but it might not. And it also depends on what you're going to do with your stories. The Scumthorpe stories probably aren't going to be published. If you publish the sci-fi story, then it won't be that connected with your published works unless you choose to make it that way. If you're only going to release it online under the same handle, then it probably is a good idea to change one.

Spice Pony
#46 Old 12th Aug 2015 at 1:24 AM
The Scarlet Letter? Huh. I thought that was just boring and a little too full of itself.

Think about it. It's a book about a bunch of morons sitting around worrying about stupid things (yes, it was in a culture where those things were treated as meaningful, but they're still stupid). Seriously, that was the whole point. As I understand it, it was Hawthorne's way of making peace with the awful stupidity of his ancestors. So yeah, I kind of identified with it. I still never want to touch the blasted thing again.

Same problems, though.

How so? They only had the one finger attached to the wing, like birds do.

Oh. You said Tolkien, not C. S. Lewis.

In my defense, I was exhausted when I wrote that. I caught, like, over five typos.

Still not sure why I didn't catch it in editing the later post, though. Or looking back.

So those are the things the Perverters are using?

Maybe? I don't remember what I had in mind. Probably not, actually. The idea was that the tech was alien to both sides of the war. They probably either use a modified form of the Alcubierre drive or tachyon condensation fields. But I suppose they could be using them. Gaining the technology would be advantageous to the SU whether the enemy had it or not. Still, if they did, I think Union scientists might have been able to reverse engineer it from starship corpses (that's a phrase you don't hear every day.)

I finally fit it all in (!):
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#47 Old 12th Aug 2015 at 9:53 PM
Think about it. It's a book about a bunch of morons sitting around worrying about stupid things (yes, it was in a culture where those things were treated as meaningful, but they're still stupid). Seriously, that was the whole point. As I understand it, it was Hawthorne's way of making peace with the awful stupidity of his ancestors. So yeah, I kind of identified with it. I still never want to touch the blasted thing again.

Ah. I did dislike it for the same reasons, but I didn't really identify with it.

How so? They only had the one finger attached to the wing, like birds do.

Pterosaur wings are not like birds'. They were quadrupeds. They used their wings as legs.

I'm not going to continue the discussion on The Host, because that book, its sisters, and its hack author all disgust me and I don't want to have to go back into it for this. I'll go into Twilight and rip that thing apart, but I'm staying away from The Host.

Maybe? I don't remember what I had in mind. Probably not, actually. The idea was that the tech was alien to both sides of the war. They probably either use a modified form of the Alcubierre drive or tachyon condensation fields. But I suppose they could be using them. Gaining the technology would be advantageous to the SU whether the enemy had it or not. Still, if they did, I think Union scientists might have been able to reverse engineer it from starship corpses (that's a phrase you don't hear every day.)

Ah. I didn't really see the connection between that and the war, and I figured the beings that took the Makemake technology would have access to that, so that was why I asked.
Tachyon condensation fields as a means of propulsion?

Spice Pony
#48 Old 15th Aug 2015 at 7:57 PM
Hey, I'm having kind of a bad month (switching medications; lots of stress). I might be slow in responding to this last. Sorry about that. I'll get to it within a week or two, I promise.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#49 Old 15th Aug 2015 at 11:23 PM
No problem.

Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#50 Old 18th Aug 2015 at 11:23 PM
Very nice imagery and word flow. :D

Page 2 of 4