Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Jun 2009 at 8:03 PM
Default "Perform experiment on"... the effects?
Being a Mad Scientist is fun, because you get the "Perform experiment on..." interaction. Has anyone made a list of what the possible effects are? After extensive experimenting I have turned the desk chair facinating, the Mysterious Mr Gnome makes my garden beautiful and the toilet ads a "well decorated" moodlet in the bathroom. The shower turned horrifying and the kitchen counter burst into flames. The bathroom counter disappeared. The stereo became unbreakable, removing the upgrades I had made. The sofa started emitting an alarm-like noise.

Now the question: when I successfully experimented on the bed, I got a message: "Enjoy your sonorific bed!" What does "sonorific" mean? The bed now makes a slight noise when the sim goes to sleep and when it wakes up, but the sim sleeps just fine. No moodlets are added (that I could find). The time required to get fully rested is the same. What does this "upgrade do"?

Are there any more possible results?
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 22nd Jun 2009 at 8:08 PM
Maybe that's a failed upgrade, and the bed is supposed to annoy you by emitting sounds?..
Scholar
#3 Old 22nd Jun 2009 at 8:20 PM
Sonorific just means it emits a random beep, similar to the ping used in sonar. It doesn't affect anything, it's just a... well I don't know what to call it. It doesn't help or hurt your sim.

Creator of the Sparkly Things
In Soviet Russia, the Sims mod you!

ZOMG Patterns! ZOMG! Patterns! the Group!
Awesomeness: When I get sad, I stop being sad and am simply awesome again. True story.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 22nd Jun 2009 at 9:10 PM
Sonorific
Son`o*rif"ic\, a. [L. sonor, -oris, a sound + facere to make. See Sonorous.] Producing sound; as, the sonorific quality of a body. [R.] --I. Watts

Guess it just makes a sound... xD thats uh..... useful? Atleast you know when they wakeup and goto sleep xD?
Test Subject
#5 Old 23rd Jun 2009 at 8:44 AM
So far I had items experimented on...

Make sounds..annoying beeps and bloops
Elevate mood while using
Give a horrified moodlet.
Glow with red electricity and claim someting bad will happen to any sim using it but as of yet nothing.
My toilet makes me feel strong
and even though I canceled the experiment and bought a new fridge I still get "tasts like fridge (from experimenting) :/
Test Subject
#6 Old 23rd Jun 2009 at 9:05 AM
The effect "tastes like fridge" doesn't come from the experiment... you get that one from a cheap fridge in combination with food that has been in there for a while.

I like the idea of my sim running around with a raygun and performing experiments on things, but the visual effects have stopped me from doing any more experiments - its just too annoying to have every single object in the house _constantly_ blink, be surrounded by glowing lines, etc. I hove someone will make a mod soon to shut off the animations or at least adjust it so that they play only every once in a while (which would be enough to see the item is enhanced, but not soo terribly annoying).
Theorist
#7 Old 23rd Jun 2009 at 10:02 AM
Lantander, the same here... It affects game performance, too.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 23rd Jun 2009 at 2:00 PM
In my game, the annoying animations stopped after a sim day or so, and didn't start again until my sim started experimenting again.