Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#26 Old 19th Sep 2011 at 6:14 PM
Do we know for sure that the room cannot be sampled by some interaction with the video drivers?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#27 Old 19th Sep 2011 at 8:22 PM
I used the RGB codes from the wiki article linked in this thread to change every single thing in my sim's room to her favourite colour. (Including the floor and the wallpaper. It looked horrible!) Was my sim supposed to get a buff from this? I had her walk back and forth between the favourite room and the contrasting reference room I also made, but I could detect no changes.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#28 Old 19th Sep 2011 at 9:31 PM
If its a series of flukes, its a series of flukes. It just really stood out to me and I thought it was worth looking at. Incidentally, a few of these sims had the trait of "perceptive," the mom with the purple kitchen, the sister with the white bed, and the chick that likes grey columns. But not the brothers.

If Pescado says its not possible, well, he knows a helluva lot more about programming than I do. Unless there's something that's not being thought of? (Of course I could be giving EA too much credit).
Theorist
#29 Old 19th Sep 2011 at 10:23 PM
Something from the Sims 3 site:
http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/181898.page

Jury still out, I guess. I don't have a clue.

I have been trying to dress my sims in their favorite colors when I remember. I will do the bed test when I have less to do than boss around 8 sims!

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
Alchemist
#30 Old 19th Sep 2011 at 10:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
Well obviously *something* in the game detects some color data, or the sim wouldn't be able to get the favorite color buff

I have never seen a favorite color buff. Anyone have a screenshot of one?
Top Secret Researcher
#31 Old 19th Sep 2011 at 11:12 PM
Why would anyone want to read Manuel instead of Raymundo? There's something I'm not getting here.

TS2 and TS3: Where adult sims potty train their toddlers.
TS4: Where adult sims make Angry Poops.

Which game is made for the juvenile minded?
Top Secret Researcher
#32 Old 19th Sep 2011 at 11:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by J. M. Pescado
You know this color business is a meme of Gali Science over on MATY. Sims cannot see color. They can't even see black and white. They are, in fact, completely blind and cannot see at all. They cannot perceive the universe as anything other than a set of route-blocking footprints and advertised interactions. They can't actually even perceive things to react to, those things have to tell them to react.

Lies! Falsies! I call shenanigans! My sims can see other hawt sims.

TS2 and TS3: Where adult sims potty train their toddlers.
TS4: Where adult sims make Angry Poops.

Which game is made for the juvenile minded?
Forum Resident
#33 Old 20th Sep 2011 at 12:34 AM
I've never seen any evidence for an actual buff for using a sim's favorite color. They should get a moodlet for it, you know! XD

Well, this thread was driving me crazy so I started up a test family with different favorite colors. One Green, one Lime Green (to see if they can really tell between shades..), one Yellow, and one Blue.

Then I furnished an apartment with five beds, all colored differently - and then made sure that there were plenty of things colored garishly in the sims favorite colors, plus a few things that were deliberately colored differently. I turned the sims loose to see what would happen.

Firstly, they ran to completely random objects (houseplant, base colored fridge) to exclaim over the 'new' things. Next, I picked a sim and lowered her energy until she decided to find a bed to sleep in. Ms. Lime headed straight for the bed with white sheets and a Blue blanket. Raised her energy and got her out of the way. Next sim. Ms. Green headed right for the same bed. This I find odd, as there are more beds than sims, but whatever. Third sim. Mr. Yellow also finds the white sheets and blue blanket appealing. Or, maybe it just advertises as the 'closest' bed? I'm thinking at this point that I may have to move the beds around and see if it still happens like this. Anyway, last sim, Mr. Blue heads to the.... Green bunk sitting OVER the Blue bed!!! He also chose to Nap, rather than Sleep unlike the others. Well, at this point if it had been the Blue bed, I would have been convinced it was simply routing.

Moved the beds around, and decided to try again. Ms. Lime was using the Yellow and Blue toilet. Despite moving the beds, she went straight for the same one as last time. So I tossed her into the backyard and got rid of that bed, colored a new bunk set the same as the old. Targeted Ms. Green, and she went for the RED bed that I'd moved into the spot of the first Blue bed. I'm still going with the closest routing theory here.

I don't see any color preference in any of the behavior so far.

I got bored of the test and lowered everyone else's energy bar to make them all go to bed at the same time. Ms. Green is still in the Red bed of the coveted closest spot. Everyone marched into the room and fought over the upper bunk. Lime beat the boys by a few seconds and has the dubious luck to be sleeping in the Lime bed. Meanwhile, Mr. Blue went back downstairs to use the Yellow and Blue toilet, then have a mixed drink while Mr. Yellow decided to make a salad. Must not have made them tired enough if they gave up on sleep so easily. After his drink, Mr. Blue went down the hall from the 'best' bed and got into the new Blue bed. Coincidence, I'm thinking. It's the next closest bed that advertises the same as the closest. Mr. Yellow then got into the Green bunk above the blue bunk and all are asleep.

All I see are routing and motive advertisement. There was a double bed closer than the bunks down the hall, but it has a slightly lower comfort.

I WISH color coding things would make Sims use those items first. I could get Sims to use bathrooms attached to their very own bedrooms that way. I've stopped doing 'private' bathrooms, since they aren't. Ah well.
Forum Resident
#34 Old 20th Sep 2011 at 2:54 AM
which then begs the question of why the color likes.. If the sims are not going to a favorite color bed, bathroom, ect.. Then what is the point of selecting a favorite color?
Alchemist
#35 Old 20th Sep 2011 at 3:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Kathwynn
which then begs the question of why the color likes.. If the sims are not going to a favorite color bed, bathroom, ect.. Then what is the point of selecting a favorite color?

Maybe 'tis an ebil plot to flood a future EP, like the memory mess, with color-type message after message....
Test Subject
Original Poster
#36 Old 20th Sep 2011 at 4:33 AM
Oh god, thanks for reminding me, I need to get that mod for those damned memories!
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#37 Old 20th Sep 2011 at 6:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
Do we know for sure that the room cannot be sampled by some interaction with the video drivers?
The script code does not include any known interface for doing such a thing, plus it would be rather dangerous.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Lab Assistant
#38 Old 20th Sep 2011 at 10:47 PM
The favourite colours are there as a chatting point between sims. If two sims have the same favourite colour they get a rel boost when doing the 'getting to know' interaction. That's it for now.

I try to take one day at a time, but lately several days have been attacking me at once.

Owner - Sublime Sims - www.sublimesims.net
Test Subject
Original Poster
#39 Old 22nd Sep 2011 at 6:45 PM
Plopped another family and they did the correct bed thing again! At this point I'm just going to pretend my sims are smarter than everyone else's! :P
Page 2 of 2