Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#51 Old 16th Jul 2009 at 8:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Gangreless
They're two different things. There's a Luminorious Gem and a Rainbow Gem. You've never heard of the Rainbow Gem because you haven't found one.

Nor read about one until now, and I've read through 2 wikis.

and yes yes, I can't spell, rub it in my face will you? -depressed-
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#52 Old 16th Jul 2009 at 11:09 AM Last edited by zx1111 : 16th Jul 2009 at 6:54 PM.
You forget most important source of gems and rocks.

Don't waste time wandering in the wild field looking for precious gems or space rocks. Scanning ground closely for a while make me dizzy.
Try rummage trashcan of your neighbors. I found most precious gems and rocks from the garbages in the trashcan of my neighbors. I found 3 pink diamond and 2 rainbow gems by few days of trashcan hunting.

Rummaging trashcan of rich families is more profitable than middle or poor family's. Even expensive item like game goggle ($8,000) can be found in the trashcan of rich household. Huge space rock can fetch hefty price between $3,000-$20,000. You can get some high-quality seeds (even perfect quality seed of various produce). Actually, it is quite lucrative job for a jobless/unskilled sim. $88 per hour from top rank job of part-time job? Forget it. You can work any time you want. Night is better than day.

But precious gem and space rocks (including huge space rock) can be found from any trashcan, regardless of richness of the family/household. It seems that richness does not matter for gems and rocks/ seeds.
Lab Assistant
#53 Old 17th Jul 2009 at 1:15 AM
*SQUEAL!!!!!!* I GOT MY FIRST GNOME - EVER!!!!!! Actually, I got a set of three! FINALLY!!!!!!! Been playing since the day the game was released looking for them! Hold out HP my friend! I'm sure your pink diamond is on the way!

If I can get a gnome after a month and a half of playing the same sim and clearing the neighbourhood several times a sim day you can get a pink diamond! There is hope for us all!

~Hold tenderly that which you cherish~
Field Researcher
#54 Old 17th Jul 2009 at 6:23 AM
Sigh, my main sim has gone through at least 15+ gnomes (if not 20) but still no rainbow gem for her. (she routinely sell the gnomes after the magic has worn off)

And then another sim that never finds the pink+rainbow ones. I am sending her off to catacombs, she is probably dead tired of being scared/mauled daily.

I have to try out the spots in the game help.

EDIT: reading the game help... And I realized that it has happened me about 3-5 times that a gem is shining but I could not pick it because of that it is in the center of the fence... (shining from the collector help) Did it happen you too?

My username here is sweetichigodream, but I am better known as Helena and/or Funny Bunny! :) would love to change username...
Test Subject
#55 Old 17th Jul 2009 at 6:47 AM
I found my pink one by the criminal building..and rainbow at the graveyard. I've done alot of rock hunting and seems those 2 places produce the better rocks ..hope that helps

The beaches seem to spawn alot of space rock, the mine ..ores..lakes the more common gems or space rock..is what I've found it seems.
Lab Assistant
#56 Old 17th Jul 2009 at 7:01 AM
If you go to http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?...elp:Sims_3_Gems (Don't know where I got the link - May have been from this site, or hell even from this thread) you can see at the bottom some actual pics of where you can get the Rainbow Gem and Pink Diamonds.
Scholar
#57 Old 17th Jul 2009 at 7:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Pontiac76
If you go to http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?...elp:Sims_3_Gems (Don't know where I got the link - May have been from this site, or hell even from this thread) you can see at the bottom some actual pics of where you can get the Rainbow Gem and Pink Diamonds.

That's awesome, but surely HP knows what's in the wiki...I'd hope.......if she didn't search the wiki and posted a thread to find answers I'd laugh my ass off.

Quote: Originally posted by Carladam
*SQUEAL!!!!!!* I GOT MY FIRST GNOME - EVER!!!!!! Actually, I got a set of three! FINALLY!!!!!!! Been playing since the day the game was released looking for them! Hold out HP my friend! I'm sure your pink diamond is on the way!

If I can get a gnome after a month and a half of playing the same sim and clearing the neighbourhood several times a sim day you can get a pink diamond! There is hope for us all!

Maybe I'm too involved playing other aspects of the game, but what the hell is this about magic gnomes?

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution." ~Albert Einstein
A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs who, however, has never learned how to walk forward.~F.D.R.
Lab Assistant
#58 Old 17th Jul 2009 at 8:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sisaly
Maybe I'm too involved playing other aspects of the game, but what the hell is this about magic gnomes?

They just do funny things, like, move around your place when you're not looking, watch TV, go swimming, etc, etc, etc. I've never seen one in action, as I've not really gone out hunting for one, so this is just what I've picked up from the Wiki as well as other posts on here.
Field Researcher
#59 Old 17th Jul 2009 at 9:00 AM
Pink diamonds do not exist. The pink diamond is a lie. I am firmly convinced of this.
Test Subject
#60 Old 17th Jul 2009 at 9:16 AM
I have a married couple sim who are both jobless. They live completely off the land (fishing, gardening, & collecting) and she is a part-time writer. They are richer than my sims who bust their a$$es working! Anyway... last night I got tired of mailing off the gems they'd found and just started putting them in their garden. It's very pretty! I was thinking about using them to outline the garden like a pretty, sparkly rock wall.
Blue topaz is the most common find for them. Oddly enough, I don't think they've ever found a rainbow gem and you can see the one lone pink diamond they just found today. Also odd... gnomes are everywhere in this neighborhood.
Screenshots

"My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can."
~Cary Grant
Mad Poster
#61 Old 17th Jul 2009 at 9:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by aqrose
I have a married couple sim who are both jobless. They live completely off the land (fishing, gardening, & collecting) and she is a part-time writer. They are richer than my sims who bust their a$$es working! Anyway... last night I got tired of mailing off the gems they'd found and just started putting them in their garden. It's very pretty! I was thinking about using them to outline the garden like a pretty, sparkly rock wall.
Blue topaz is the most common find for them. Oddly enough, I don't think they've ever found a rainbow gem and you can see the one lone pink diamond they just found today. Also odd... gnomes are everywhere in this neighborhood.

That looks strangely like one of my sims' lawn. Only I have cut gems and space rocks laying around and so far nobody tried to take them away (except for the repoman).
Instructor
#62 Old 17th Jul 2009 at 9:29 AM
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!! All this talk in this thread of gems and making money off them as poor sims and all the pretty gem talk and and and...I am tempted to look for gems now. Bah I am too lazy though. I tend to be a whip cracker when it comes to my sims. Eat, sleep, work, skill up and make love are all I do with my sims. Perhaps I should fit gem collecting somewhere in my evil dictatorship of a scheme.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#63 Old 17th Jul 2009 at 11:42 AM
Pontiac76 - As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I created a quick and dirty mod to make the pink diamonds and rainbow gems spawn at ridiculous rates at their normal spawn points, so I could see where they spawn, and then took those pics and added 'em to the wiki myself.

Sisaly- Mysterious Mr. Gnome! http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?...rious_Mr._Gnome

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Field Researcher
#64 Old 18th Jul 2009 at 12:04 AM
Thanks to the spawn locations my collecting sim found the pink diamond, and the rainbow gem! I have never seen rainbow gem before so it was fun! She found them on the second spawn wave after reading the faq so it is relatively quick find.

Now on the rare metals... HARD to find!

My username here is sweetichigodream, but I am better known as Helena and/or Funny Bunny! :) would love to change username...
Test Subject
#65 Old 18th Jul 2009 at 1:51 AM
Are there any hacks or mods out that make collecting easier?

I'm getting a little frustrated trying to find some of this stuff... especially that last butterfly and a couple of beetles.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#66 Old 18th Jul 2009 at 2:01 AM
I could probably whip up a quick tuning mod to make some of the rarest of the rare a teensy bit easier to find. I've got plenty of plutonium and butterflies and every single meteor, but beetles and gems seem to just hate me.

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Test Subject
#67 Old 18th Jul 2009 at 2:10 AM
That would be cool. My sim is neglecting his family and spending all his time in the neighbors trash can.
Lab Assistant
#68 Old 18th Jul 2009 at 2:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sisaly

Sadly, i'm a little indifferent to the magic gnome now that I have one. Sure, they're cute - I've seen them move they just kinda teleport to their new location in a new pose. But I thought I would be much more impressed.... *shrug*..... probably wasn't worth all the heartache and stress and frustration of searching for one.

Also I didn't know they lost their magic..... I put all three out at once, Think I might put a few into the family inventry so I have a back up.

~Hold tenderly that which you cherish~
Test Subject
#69 Old 18th Jul 2009 at 2:20 AM
Gnomes would be cooler if they were evil.

It'd be pretty funny to come home and find all your plumbing and electronics broken and trash everywhere.

Or if you wanted good gnomes, you could come home and find everything's been cleaned, repaired and there's a masterpiece painting on your easel.

I hope they do something with the gnomes in an expansion. There's a lot of potential there.
Field Researcher
#70 Old 18th Jul 2009 at 2:23 AM
Beetles and metals are hating me. 80% found on both, looking forever...

The novelty of gnomes has worn off for me.. Sold the around 5 ones I got the last hours of playing.

Instructor
#71 Old 18th Jul 2009 at 2:31 AM
Last night I turned on testing cheats so my collector could "teleport here". She collected every rock and gem on the collection helper, not one of the gems or metals were new. It does seem like that at least one of the rarer metals or gems would spawn each time. btw I have done this before with the same result.

HP: some of the places you show on the wiki never spawn anything in my game.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#72 Old 18th Jul 2009 at 2:44 AM
Sookielee - The spawn rates on those are turned down quite low so they don't spawn much to begin with. Additionally, they may not be -precisely- at those locations. By the looks of things, they can spawn in up to a 10m radius, and may disappear if untaken after a short period of time. A couple of those locations I get -very rare- spawns whatsoever, and all of the most rare locations can have other items that can spawn there - for example, the one spawn type that does pink diamond also does ruby, tanzanite, and regular diamond.

Test Subject
#73 Old 18th Jul 2009 at 9:08 AM
Well, thanks to this thread I now have plutonium and a couple of rainbow gems. The rainbows where right where the wiki said they would be but they didn't spawn at the same time as the others.... very sneaky. And for those at 80% on metals, I found the plutonium on the way to the mine, not at it.
Lab Assistant
#74 Old 18th Jul 2009 at 9:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by bluntskull
I'm getting a little frustrated trying to find some of this stuff... especially that last butterfly and a couple of beetles.

Worst thing is....you can't really do anything with all the stuff you find. Say you found some gold and a pink diamond and could send it off to a jeweler and get a ring back that you could then give to your sim's girlfriend... that would've made sense. Now it just feels like a silly achievement or a reason to have you run about the neighbourhood.
Test Subject
#75 Old 18th Jul 2009 at 1:03 PM
Do insects have particular spawn points like gems?
Page 3 of 4