Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Sep 2011 at 9:48 PM
Default Assigning beds by favorite color
Has anyone else had to manage a large family that didn't want to go to their correct beds? On a whim I changed the beds to styles with mainly the favorite color of the sims that I wanted sleeping there, and everyone automatically started going to the correct beds. With the exception of the father and daughter, that share the same color of red.....

Has anyone else experienced/noticed this? I had one kid that would nap on the couch instead of his bed, couch was his favorite color. I change the color of his bed, he has no problem getting a full night's sleep by himself now.

Just a couple of examples.
Advertisement
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#2 Old 18th Sep 2011 at 9:55 PM
You're joking! Lol I had no idea

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 18th Sep 2011 at 10:15 PM
I swear I'm not, I had some weird epiphany, "Why would they assign favorite colors unless the colors effected something action-wise as well as like- and mood- wise?" So it made sense, and it worked.

Incidentally, I've been wondering what else will happen if I make things certain favorite colors, so I colored the kitchen purple, one mom's favorite color, and she went in to serve dinner without prompting.
Theorist
#4 Old 18th Sep 2011 at 10:34 PM
I remember reading somewhere (maybe even the MANUAL??) that they do like their things colored their favorites and will act accordingly. :D

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 18th Sep 2011 at 10:39 PM
Reading the manual is against the rules!
Theorist
#6 Old 18th Sep 2011 at 10:43 PM
Check it out:
http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Favorite

Section on color...
and so on.

I like to read the manual!! It's fun.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
Forum Resident
#7 Old 18th Sep 2011 at 11:20 PM
I thought it just affected their mood! And in a non-noticeable way, I might add. Having them autonomously choose things that are their favorite color is really interesting. I'll have to try that on my current overstuffed house, lol. I'm always kicking the parents out of the bunk beds when I go visit another family and come back. XP
Forum Resident
#8 Old 18th Sep 2011 at 11:56 PM
Hmm...does it have to be exactly their favorite color or can it be a shade of their favorite color? I remember trying this before but I don't remember what the results were.
Test Subject
#9 Old 19th Sep 2011 at 12:05 AM
This is cool! Thanks for sharing
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 19th Sep 2011 at 12:57 AM
I just did shades of their fave color, and it doesn't seem to need to be completely their fave color either. With one sister, fave color white, her canopied bed and frame were white, but sheets were electric purple. She still chose it. With two bros in the same room, frames were the same, but sheets were their fave colors, one purple, one green. Oddly enough, as soon as I placed the beds and went to live mode, all three thought about the correct beds, the bro with the purple sheets didn't try to go to the sis' white bed with purple sheets.

Here's another example: Just finished a house I'm thinking of submitting, let loose a test sim and she was cheering about the columns, which are grey/white, but wasn't interested in anything else. Her fave color? Grey.
Forum Resident
#11 Old 19th Sep 2011 at 1:26 AM
I do notice that when finishing and moving a sim into a new house, the sim always wants to check out and cheer about the most random shit they can find, like a microwave or a curtain. Will definitely have to try this out
Eminence Grise
#12 Old 19th Sep 2011 at 2:08 AM
Hmmm... I have seen some folks who ought to know... like Pescado... say that game code has no way of actually knowing what color anything is.

I would love to be wrong about that though
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#13 Old 19th Sep 2011 at 2:56 AM
You know this color business is a meme of Gali Science over on MATY. Sims cannot see color. They can't even see black and white. They are, in fact, completely blind and cannot see at all. They cannot perceive the universe as anything other than a set of route-blocking footprints and advertised interactions. They can't actually even perceive things to react to, those things have to tell them to react.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Forum Resident
#14 Old 19th Sep 2011 at 3:31 AM
The Sims 3 has memes now? The only one I know of is "Some Bitch Named Deltrice" lol
Top Secret Researcher
#15 Old 19th Sep 2011 at 3:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by zzapp the witch
I just did shades of their fave color, and it doesn't seem to need to be completely their fave color either.

Oh, this is going to be a fascinating area of research. Sim color perception is something about which there is absolutely nothing in the scientific literature, as far as I know.

I feel an experiment design already forming in my head (and this time, it will be better thought out than the one about the visual abilities of fish.)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 19th Sep 2011 at 5:25 AM
Mr. Pescado, I understand what you're saying, and I'm hoping I can ask this understandably: Ok, we know that Sims react to color in the sense that the information of the color increases their mood. Now, say a Sim is sleepy and one bed is blue (this Sims programmed favorite color) and another is orange (opposite on the color wheel from blue). COULD the programmed preferrability of a color, even if the Sim can't "see" it, cause the Sims programmed interaction choices to choose one bed over the other? Presumably because the programmed, though unseeable, color preference brings the interaction options for that object higher in the Sims choice queue than the interactions with a similar object that is a less desirable color?
Forum Resident
#17 Old 19th Sep 2011 at 5:56 AM
Hey, Pescado, you must be looking at types, instead of members.
Instead of rods and cones activated by photons, they have the
lookat manager, activated by vectors.

Ronnie, your blog is very entertaining. I'll see if I can get some
of my non-simming relatives to look at it, and see what they
think of it. Oh, and I found Sunset Valley, using google earth.
It's in Texas, just off I-35 between San Antonio and Fort Worth.

Off to change the sheets...
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 19th Sep 2011 at 6:57 AM
Even better reason to give male sims pink as their favorite color. :D
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#19 Old 19th Sep 2011 at 8:21 AM
Ok, we know that Sims react to color in the sense that the information of the color increases their mood.
No, we don't know that, because it's not true. Sims cannot perceive color. The factors which make up a sim's mood are purely the baseline mood value as influenced by the presence of lack of the Grumpy trait, and moodlets. Nothing more.

COULD the programmed preferrability of a color, even if the Sim can't "see" it, cause the Sims programmed interaction choices to choose one bed over the other?
No, because the scriptcore is unable to perceive the color of an object, and therefore, cannot assign preferences based on color.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 19th Sep 2011 at 10:36 AM
I thought that you were able to outline colours in codes using RBG. I don't know anything about making games, but I always assumed that the only reason that Sims 3 doesn't have the same gene system as Sims 2 was because EA was too lazy to go in and define every single colour. Could they possibly create colour groups? For example, red colours would go in one group, green colours would go in another...?
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#21 Old 19th Sep 2011 at 11:33 AM
It is possible for a sim to perceive another sim's hair color, but only in the form of RGB numbers that mean nothing to it: Therefore, nothing in the script code presently uses that information for any actual game behavior. It is completely impossible for a sim to perceive the color of an object, wall, or floor. Sims cannot react to this in any way. In fact, a sim is only dimly aware that an object is a specific type, and there are actually far fewer truly unique objects than are visible in the game: Most of the objects for sale are just clones of each other, of which there will be the cheapest clone that is optimal as a result. And all the catalog ratings you see in the default game? Total bullshit. AwesomeMod shows you the real values, so you can make a real decision about what there is.

One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#22 Old 19th Sep 2011 at 12:29 PM
Well obviously *something* in the game detects some color data, or the sim wouldn't be able to get the favorite color buff

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Scholar
#23 Old 19th Sep 2011 at 1:32 PM
I never noticed anything about colors. About beds, what I noticed is that they assign one bed as theirs once they sleep there at least one time.
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 19th Sep 2011 at 4:03 PM
Would solid pre-made colours on the palette make any effect?
It would have been easier for EA to assign them, wouldn't it?
It would have been impossible for the game to understand custom colours, because there are so many different shades, tones and colours on the colour wheel.
Just recognized it would be easy peasy for a modder to assign a certain hex colour code to a favourite colour. hmm... *Thinks some more.*
Top Secret Researcher
#25 Old 19th Sep 2011 at 5:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Simmie
It would have been impossible for the game to understand custom colours, because there are so many different shades, tones and colours on the colour wheel...

That part's actually not difficult to program (although a human and a Sim might disagree somewhat about the boundaries of any particular color.) In one respect, Sims have an advantage because they can more easily perceive the color of the object itself, separate from the source and direction of the light.
Page 1 of 2