Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Eminence Grise
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Sep 2012 at 3:20 AM
Default Witch Exploit!
Yes I know, this is not a competitive game, so it hardly matters, but...

My not-very-advanced witch can conjure an apple out of thin air, and she can then transmute it into something random... so far the result has always far exceeded the value of the apple.

Theoretically this would be limited by her mana/magic power, but neither spell seems to use more than a tiny bit... she can continue this for a long time without her magic visibly declining.

I'm not really complaining, because it's fun, but doesn't it seem... a BIT overpowered?

Add that to the fact that the cheap house she lives in has a beetle spawner that seems to spawn beetles almost as fast as she and her cat can catch them... and though they're mostly common, SHE CAN TRANSMUTE EM, lol. I guess the spawn speed is related to her "Gatherer" trait, but still!
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 6th Sep 2012 at 3:23 AM
I wonder if its the same house my witch is in. There are a couple different bug spawns on one side and some gem spawns on the other. Oh and my witch also has the gatherer trait. Maybe someone will tweak the magic consumption.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 6th Sep 2012 at 3:32 AM
Can I turn the apple into a person, or do I have to give and arm and a leg?

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Forum Resident
#4 Old 6th Sep 2012 at 3:33 AM
Unfortunately, I'm relying on that little quirk to advance my witch in her Alchemist career since she can no longer "Mix Elixirs" at the alchemy station. Anyone else having that problem? I know it has been reported.
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 6th Sep 2012 at 3:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
Yes I know, this is not a competitive game, so it hardly matters, but...

My not-very-advanced witch can conjure an apple out of thin air, and she can then transmute it into something random... so far the result has always far exceeded the value of the apple.

Theoretically this would be limited by her mana/magic power, but neither spell seems to use more than a tiny bit... she can continue this for a long time without her magic visibly declining.

I'm not really complaining, because it's fun, but doesn't it seem... a BIT overpowered?

Add that to the fact that the cheap house she lives in has a beetle spawner that seems to spawn beetles almost as fast as she and her cat can catch them... and though they're mostly common, SHE CAN TRANSMUTE EM, lol. I guess the spawn speed is related to her "Gatherer" trait, but still!

It is a bit overpowered, but you usually transmute them into craps which needs to be retransmute over and over and over until you find something good enough to sell. Its hardly worth doing it.

Unless of course you're practicing your witch skills while trying to ear some money, like my sims did when they move houses and found out they cant afford a toilet.
Scholar
#6 Old 6th Sep 2012 at 5:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by emino
It is a bit overpowered, but you usually transmute them into craps which needs to be retransmute over and over and over until you find something good enough to sell. Its hardly worth doing it.

Unless of course you're practicing your witch skills while trying to earn some money, like my sims did when they move houses and found out they cant afford a toilet.

It's like the Sims version of "Let's Make a Deal". The trick is knowing when to stop. Sometimes if you keep going you get better and better stuff, other times you end up with nothing but a puff of smoke. The apples scare me a bit too. My witches summon them autonomously and sometimes they are poisoned. You would think that they would have the sense not to eat them, but....

I still haven't managed to cast a motive spell that didn't backfire. I haven't seen so much red since the Sims 1 days. It's a good thing the house came with toilets.
Instructor
#7 Old 6th Sep 2012 at 6:04 AM
I really like the witch powers, but I can't help but think they are unvaried. I wonder if scripting could add spells.

My true to life tumblr: http://smargent.tumblr.com/
Eminence Grise
Original Poster
#8 Old 6th Sep 2012 at 6:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by emino

The trick with consignment selling, though, is that your hidden consignment skill goes up every time you sell something... so selling craploads of relatively cheap items means the amount you get for ALL your objects, cheap and expensive, will keep increasing. Till your cheap items aren't so cheap

Which is why if you consign, there's no such thing as something not worth selling. On the other hand, if you transmute only the cheapest items you have, the chances of increasing their value is very high. So transmute the cheapest stuff and consign everything else, and you can be making thousands a day pretty quickly.
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 6th Sep 2012 at 6:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
The trick with consignment selling, though, is that your hidden consignment skill goes up every time you sell something... so selling craploads of relatively cheap items means the amount you get for ALL your objects, cheap and expensive, will keep increasing. Till your cheap items aren't so cheap

Which is why if you consign, there's no such thing as something not worth selling. On the other hand, if you transmute only the cheapest items you have, the chances of increasing their value is very high. So transmute the cheapest stuff and consign everything else, and you can be making thousands a day pretty quickly.

So while waiting my sims should use community toilets instead? XD
Test Subject
#10 Old 6th Sep 2012 at 12:07 PM
I've noticed this too. My sims were just barely making enough to eat and pay bills until i figured out how useful that spell was. It only slightly bothers me. I find its useful for unlocking different spells so I'll keep using it.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 6th Sep 2012 at 4:28 PM
Hahah, yes. I just made a witch and had her transmute some apples about 50 times, ended up with some nice seeds and metals to sell for a new broom. It's OP as heck.
Scholar
#12 Old 6th Sep 2012 at 10:20 PM
Witches can be quite the little money-makers. I was trying out the "Claw" game and was getting nothing but crap, then it occurred to me to cast a Good Luck charm on myself.

Two money bags in a row and then an adorable vampire teddy. If my Sim wasn't dead tired I would have stayed there half the night.
Instructor
#13 Old 7th Sep 2012 at 1:12 AM
I noticed the alchemy shop has bee hives, insect spawners and a few harvestablel plants behind and have been making a ton of money collecting those then selling them. Turns out the ghost peppers are excellent fertilizers too so I'm making rapid process in my alchemy and gardening.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 7th Sep 2012 at 9:33 PM
I found another exploit, but it may be a weird bug. I had my witch practice some magic in her lawn by casting fire spells at the ground. She casts it, puts it out (while her fae boyfriend runs over to freak out over the fire) and I notice their household money goes up...a lot. 450,000 a lot. I see a dialogue box that they were compensated for their loss in the fire for 450,000 after setting the grass on fire and nothing else. Let's just say her last name is now on a few places in Moonlight Falls as well as a French vacation home, LOL.
Test Subject
#15 Old 8th Sep 2012 at 8:55 PM
I live the witches in the new EP, but I think they're far too powerful and not to mention too successfull. I ended up toadifying every non-supernatural sim in my large neighbourhood and even with the cheapest wand it hasn't back fired once. No cheats used or anything either.

I'd quite like to see the sucess rate for cheaper wands drop quite substantially.

I also had the issue with not being able to use the alchemy station. Tried everything to get it working again, even the resetSim * cheat. Odd thing is, other household members could use it.
Field Researcher
#16 Old 8th Sep 2012 at 9:45 PM
Remove all unidentified seeds from your sim's inventory.

I spent nearly an hour, messing with mods, restarting the game, testing, and so on before I thought to make a simple google search. Unidentified seeds are a menace.
Forum Resident
#17 Old 9th Sep 2012 at 12:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AnnaIME
Remove all unidentified seeds from your sim's inventory.

I spent nearly an hour, messing with mods, restarting the game, testing, and so on before I thought to make a simple google search. Unidentified seeds are a menace.

Ahhhh so that's what it is...Thanks for the info!! I'll try it out.
Test Subject
#18 Old 9th Sep 2012 at 2:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by soylentfiend
I found another exploit, but it may be a weird bug. I had my witch practice some magic in her lawn by casting fire spells at the ground. She casts it, puts it out (while her fae boyfriend runs over to freak out over the fire) and I notice their household money goes up...a lot. 450,000 a lot.

I must have the same bug. My witch had the want to cast ten spells, so I let her start fires on the ground at her lot. Each time she put the fire out, she received 300,000 from the insurance company. She now has over three million simoleans. And yes, it does seem a bit overdone, lol.
Test Subject
#19 Old 9th Sep 2012 at 8:14 AM
I found another exploit, but it may be a weird bug. I had my witch practice some magic in her lawn by casting fire spells at the ground. She casts it, puts it out (while her fae boyfriend runs over to freak out over the fire) and I notice their household money goes up...a lot. 450,000 a lot. I see a dialogue box that they were compensated for their loss in the fire for 450,000 after setting the grass on fire and nothing else. Let's just say her last name is now on a few places in Moonlight Falls as well as a French vacation home, LOL.

i had the exact same thing happening. I had moved out of the small house I started in because i didn't have enough room for my liking to plant all the things I wanted. So I moved to a big empty lot which I like a lot and build a very small house big enough for just her. I did the fireball spell and all of a sudden shit went wrong and there was a fire. And on the dialogue screen it showed up that my insurance was paying me 300.000 for losses. I was like okay, then! She went from poor little witch to rich bitch in a matter of seconds.
Scholar
#20 Old 9th Sep 2012 at 9:44 AM
I thought this was a 'reasonably broken' thing, as in you could make money off of it, but not ridiculous amounts.

Well...admittedly this was with one of Twallan's mods allowing me to consign gems and such:

2 raw supernovium = 6 supernovium ingots worth between $25k and $31.5k each.
Test Subject
#21 Old 9th Sep 2012 at 7:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Midnightfantasy
i had the exact same thing happening. I had moved out of the small house I started in because i didn't have enough room for my liking to plant all the things I wanted. So I moved to a big empty lot which I like a lot and build a very small house big enough for just her. I did the fireball spell and all of a sudden shit went wrong and there was a fire. And on the dialogue screen it showed up that my insurance was paying me 300.000 for losses. I was like okay, then! She went from poor little witch to rich bitch in a matter of seconds.

It's your insurance ^^
I set my Witch Sims lawn on fire as well with the spell and a pop-up about the insurance company paying it off for me or something came up and I got 40K+ in simoleons.
Test Subject
#22 Old 9th Sep 2012 at 9:49 PM
-is going to go set her lawn on fire-
Test Subject
#23 Old 11th Sep 2012 at 2:54 AM
i find it handy, i keep transmuting the apples until i get the gems i want
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 16th Sep 2012 at 6:59 PM

Yep, me too. I was just making my witch practice spells, so I cast the fire spell on the ground. A fire started, she put it out and got 400,000 simoleons in insurance money. Nice!

"I enjoyed the meetings, too. It was like having friends." Luna Lovegood

"It's lucky it's dark...I haven't blushed so much since Madame Pomfrey told me she liked my new earmuffs." Albus Dumbledore
Mad Poster
#25 Old 16th Sep 2012 at 7:11 PM
This is a major problem for me, having the exploits cause a major issue with not having any lots worth that kind of money. I am not good at mansions and using the same ones over and over is getting old. I need to have a petition going around the community for building more mansions worth half a million simoleons or more.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Page 1 of 2